The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Rev. John Nixon
The Rev. John Nixon, who has had charge of the New Plymouth circuit of the Primitive Methodist Church since the year 1899, was born in 1852 in Ayrshire, Scotland, where he received part of his education. He came with his parents to New Zealand in 1864, attended school in Dunedin, and lived with Mr. Stead in Invercargill. Mr. Nixon subsequently became a probationer in the Primitive Methodist church at Wellington, for three years, and he was then stationed at the Thames for two years. He was afterwards successively at Franklyn Road, Auckland, for two years, Ashburton four years, Dunedin three years, Wellington two years, New Plymouth five years, Auckland one year, the Bluff three years, and Waimate, Canterbury, one year, before entering on his present term in the New Plymouth circuit. Mr. Nixon married a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Hirst, of Mount Roskill, Auckland, in the year 1881, and has one son and four daughters.
Rev. J. Nixon.