The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The New Plymouth Old People's Home
The New Plymouth Old People's Home is situated on a portion of the Hospital grounds, consisting of about three acres, and was rebuilt in the year 1900. The building is of wood and iron, with a large verandah on three sides, from which fine views are obtained. There are three main corridors, from which the various apartments open. Of the two sick wards, one contains four beds, the other one bed. There are two dining rooms, convenient sitting rooms, a large kitchen, scullery, store room, laundry, and baths, and lavatories. The building is lighted by gas, and supplied with town water, which is also laid on at fire hose at intervals of twenty yards in the corridors. There is accommodation for thirty-eight men and twenty-four women. Each inmate has a separate room comfortably furnished. The building is surrounded with well kept walks, lawns and flower borders, and there are large vegetable gardens, all of which are kept in order by the inmates, under the supervision of the officer in charge.