The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The New Plymouth Railway Station was built in 1902. It is of wood, with an iron roof, and contains a public office, a parcel room, a ticket lobby, a waiting room, a ladies' waiting room, and apartments for the stationmaster, foremen and porters, and a lamp room. There is a very long asphalt platform, and the building is provided with a clock, which faces the town. There is a large goods shed with railway sidings and an extensive engine shed; and the station yard fronts Morley Street. The traffic on the breakwater at Moturoa is worked from the New Plymouth station. The staff in the traffic department numbers about forty. On an average, five trains arrive and depart daily.
Mr. Arthur Herbert O'Loughlen, who has been station master at New Plymouth since 1903, was previously for some years at Marton. He is further referred to on page 1312 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia.