The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Department Of Labour For The Taranaki District was constituted a separate branch in the year 1905. The office is situated on the first floor of Rowe's building, in Brougham Street; and the district under the control of the local inspector extends from the north of Taranaki to Patea, in the south.
Mr. Adam Donald, Inspector of Factories for Taranaki, was appointed in June, 1905. He was born in Lytham, Lancashire, England, and was educated in his native county, and brought up to the trade of a joiner and builder. In December, 1869, he arrived in Auckland by the barque “Santiago,” and soon settled at Featherston, in the Wairarapa, where he followed the trade of a builder, and erected many buildings throughout the district. In May, 1905, Mr. Donald was appointed to the Labour Department at the head office in Wellington, where he continued till taking up his residence at New Plymouth, in charge of the Taranaki district. Mr. Donald was a member of the Featherston Town Board for about twenty-five years, and was its chairman on several occasions, and up till April, 1905. He was also for many years a member of the Licensing Bench at Featherston and held office till June, 1905. Mr. Donald was, for several years, also captain of volunteers in that district. In 1873, he married a daughter of Mr. David Cadenhead, of Featherston, builder, and has one son and four daughters.