The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Gaol, at New Plymouth, was established in the old Provincial days. It stands on a site of eleven acres, on Marsland Hill, behind the town. The buildings are of concrete, the surrounding walls of stone, and were erected many years ago. There is accommodation for fifty male and ten female prisoners, and the average number in custody is twenty-five—mostly males; and these are generally employed in connection with local public works.
Mr. Bartholemew Lloyd O'Brien, Gaoler in charge at New Plymouth, was appointed in 1896. He was born in County Leitrim, Ireland, in 1845, and entered the Imperial service, in which he served nine years in the United Kingdom. Before his appointment at New Plymouth, Mr. O'Brien had charge at Lyttelton for eight years, and at Hokitika for a similar period.