Mr. Brownlow Horrocks,
who was a member of the Taranaki County Council for a number of years, is a son of the late Captain Charles Horrocks, of H.M. 15th Regiment of Foot, and great grandson of John Horrocks, M.P. for Preston, and founder of the firm of Horrocks, Miller and Co., cotton spinners. He was born at Ostend, Belgium, in 1851, and was educated there, at Bath, and in Germany, being originally intended for the Navy. He, however, went to the River Plate,
where he was for some time on a cattle ranch. The next few years, up to 1875, were passed by him in different parts of America, Germany, and England, and in that year he came to New Zealand by way of Australia, in which he spent some time. For a period of eight years he found employment with Messrs Stevens and Gorton, the well known stock auctioneers, at Bulls, Rangitikei. After leaving that firm, he entered into possession of Penwortham Farm, a property of 600 acres on the Junction Road, near New Plymouth. He married a daughter of Mr. W. R. E. Brown, of Wellington, sometime Registrar-General of New Zealand.