The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Manaia Hotel (G. D. McKenzie), Manaia. This hotel is a two-storeyed building, containing twenty-one bedrooms, two sitting rooms, and two bathrooms on the first floor, and twelve rooms on the ground floor. The house, which is a new one, is lit throughout with electric light, and there is a hot and cold water service. There is also a billiard room, good stabling, and paddock accommodation. The Manaia Hotel is the stopping place for the Hawera-Manaia and Opunake-Manaia coaches.
Mr. George Donald McKenzie, proprietor of the Manaia Hotel, was born in the year 1875, in Dunedin, where he was educated. At sixteen years of age he entered the railway service, in which he continued for twelve years, and for nine years of this period was engaged as a fitter at Addington Railway Workshops. He finally left the service in order to take over the Railway Hotel, Waitotara, and in 1907 removed to Manaia, and took over his present hotel. During his residence in Canterbury, Mr. McKenzie was for some time a member of the E Battery and the West Christchurch Swimming Club, and was for twelve years connected with the Albion Football Club. He has also been a member of the Wanganui Gun Club and an honorary member of the Wairoa Mounted Rifles. In 1897 he married a daughter of the late Mr. F. A. Butterfield, of Dunedin (Returning Officer for Bell Ward), and has one daughter.
Wallace, W. K., Pharmaceutical Chemist, Hawera. Mr. Wallace was born and educated in Auckland, and learned his profession under Mr. Graves Aitken, of that city, whose assistant he was for two years. Mr. Wallace went to Hawke's Bay in 1893, and for twelve months was assistant to Mr. Eccles, of Napier. In the early part of 1895 he took charge of Mr. Eccles' Hastings branch, but subsequently established his present business.
The Empire Hotel (A. C. Scrimgeour, proprietor), Waipawa. This hotel was established many years ago, and is a large wooden building, well furnished and fitted up, containing nearly sixty rooms. On the ground floor, to which there are three entrances, are situated two dining rooms (with accommodation for 150 guests), extensive club quarters, four comfortable sitting rooms, a commodious and well-appointed commercial room, and a double bar. A large stairway leads to the first floor, which contains thirty airy, well-lighted, and comfortable bedrooms, three bathrooms, (with hot and cold water laid on), and several lavatories. Only the best liquors are stocked, a good table is kept, and the tariff is moderate. At the rear of the building there are three large sample rooms, several storage sheds, and up-to-date stables. The grounds contain a bowling green and tennis court, and flower and vegetable gardens. The Empire Hotel is largely patronised by commercial men and the travelling public. Mr. Scrimgeour is assisted by a competent staff, and he spares no pains in promoting the comfort of his guests.
Mr. Alexander Cameron Scrimgeour, proprietor of the Empire Hotel, was born in the parish of Methven, Perthshire, Scotland, in the year 1840, his father, Mr. Peter Scrimgeour, being engaged on the Balgowan Estate. He was educated in Perthshire, afterwards learned farming, and in 1863 came to New Zealand under engagement to the Hon. H. R. Russell, of Mount Herbert, Waipukurau. The vessel in which he sailed, the “Rangoon,” became almost a complete wreck on the Ramsgate Downs a day or two after her departure. Putting into Ramsgate, a delay of two months occurred for repairs, and a second start was made on the 24th of January, 1864. After a protracted time at sea the “Rangoon” was almost destitute of provisions when she made Sydney harbour, where another month was occupied in refitting. On the 24th of July, Napier was reached, and an eventful voyage of eight months brought to a happy termination, though the ill-fated “Rangoon” had almost every vestige of her bulwarks washed away in a final storm in the Bay of Plenty. Mr. Scrimgeour landed in Napier, and after four years with the Hon. H. R. Russell was transferred to page 764 the estate of Mr. P. Russell, where he remained for seven years. He then, in conjunction with Mr. Peter Gow, took over the Tavistock Hotel, Waipukurau, and two years later (1877) became proprietor of the Tahoraite Hotel in the Seventy Mile Bush. After being there three years Mr. Scrimgeour purchased a farm of 600 acres at Waipawa, but relinquished agriculture twelve months later, though still retaining the property. Mr. Scrimgeour afterwards purchased the Empire Hotel at Waipawa, which he conducted for twelve years. On his departure for Dannevirke in 1895, his fellow townspeople gave a ball in honour of himself and family, and presented Mrs. Scrimgeour with a beautifully jewelled gold bracelet and Mr. Scrimgeour with a numerously-signed address, splendidly illuminated and framed. Mr. Scrimgeour afterwards removed to Masterton, and took over the Club Hotel, but subsequently returned to Waipawa, and again took over the Empire Hotel. He was for several years a member of the Waipawa County Council, Road Board, Town Board, School Committee, and various other bodies. He married Miss Gow, a sister of his old partner, in 1887, and has four daughters and two sons.
Gilbert, Edward Ellery, Piano and Music Importer, Ridgway Street, Wanganui. Mr. Gilbert, who is referred to at length on page 598 of this volume, has a thorough knowledge of repairing and tuning pianos and organs. His eldest son, Mr. Ellery George Gilbert, who was for some time with the firm of Messrs. C. Begg and Company, of Dunedin, is an efficient tuner and repairer, and assists in his father's business.
Mr. Christopher Ryan was born in the year 1857, in Jersey, where he was brought up to the business of a licensed victualler. He came to New Zealand in the year 1874, by the ship “Stonebridge,” and landed at Lyttelton. He found employment at Warner's Hotel, Christchurch, for two years, and then went to Kumara, and was afterwards for one year at Mr. Church's Empire Hotel, Hokitika. Mr. Ryan next went to Wellington, and was employed for some time in the Occidental Hotel. He then became proprietor of the Criterion Hotel, Blenheim, which he conducted for seven years, when he returned to Wellington, and was at the City Hotel for one year and a half. He afterwards removed to Woodville, where he became proprietor of the Commercial Club Hotel. Mr. Ryan subsequently sold out, went to Wellington, and acquired the Private Hotel at Kaiawarra. While in Blenheim Mr. Ryan was for three years a member of the Borough Council. He was also a member of the school committee, treasurer of the Marlborough Racing and Trotting Club, originator and secretary of the Marlborough Gun Club, promoter and treasurer of the Marlborough Licensed Victuallers' Association, senior warden of Lodge Killarney, and an officer in the Royal Arch Chapter. On leaving Blenheim he was presented with a handsome gold watch, suitably engraved, as a token of the esteem in which he was held by his fellow townsmen. Mr. Ryan was for about two years part owner with Mr. Sutherland of a run in Queen Charlotte Sound; and he was also the owner of the hurdler “Clyde,” the racer “Gladstone,” and the hack “Pearl.”