Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]



Manaia Hotel (G. D. McKenzie), Manaia. This hotel is a two-storeyed building, containing twenty-one bedrooms, two sitting rooms, and two bathrooms on the first floor, and twelve rooms on the ground floor. The house, which is a new one, is lit throughout with electric light, and there is a hot and cold water service. There is also a billiard room, good stabling, and paddock accommodation. The Manaia Hotel is the stopping place for the Hawera-Manaia and Opunake-Manaia coaches.

Mr. George Donald McKenzie, proprietor of the Manaia Hotel, was born in the year 1875, in Dunedin, where he was educated. At sixteen years of age he entered the railway service, in which he continued for twelve years, and for nine years of this period was engaged as a fitter at Addington Railway Workshops. He finally left the service in order to take over the Railway Hotel, Waitotara, and in 1907 removed to Manaia, and took over his present hotel. During his residence in Canterbury, Mr. McKenzie was for some time a member of the E Battery and the West Christchurch Swimming Club, and was for twelve years connected with the Albion Football Club. He has also been a member of the Wanganui Gun Club and an honorary member of the Wairoa Mounted Rifles. In 1897 he married a daughter of the late Mr. F. A. Butterfield, of Dunedin (Returning Officer for Bell Ward), and has one daughter.