The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Seaview Asylum , Hokitika, was erected in the year 1872 by the Provincial Government. It is situated on a Government reserve, about a mile from the Post Office, and occupies an excellent site on the terrace land to the north of the borough of Hokitika. There are about 150 acres of land in connection with the institution, and the whole area is cultivated with the assistance of the inmates, more than half of whom are kept regularly employed. There are four principal buildings, which include seven dormitories and thirty-seven single rooms. There are also two large dining-rooms, and a padded cell. In 1905 there were 138 males and thirty-seven females in residence, in addition to four males and two females, who were out on probation. The staff of the institution consists of a resident superintendent, a matron, a head attendant, three charge attendants, eight male and six female attendants, and a farm labourer. The Superintendent's residence is a pretty six-roomed house with a verandah, from which fine views are obtained.