Mr. Thomas Carter
, the third Superintendent of the province of Marlborough, was born on the 24th of January, 1827, in Winterton, Lincolnshire, England, and was educated in his native place. In early manhood he left England for the Californian goldfields, whence he made his way to the newly-discovered gold fields of Australia. In the year 1855, he came to New Zealand, and landed, in company
with his two brothers, at Nelson, and from that time until his death he was engaged chiefly in sheep-farming. Mr. Carter succeeded the Hon. Captain Baillie as Superintendent of Marlborough, on the 25th of March, 1863, but, finding that the position interfered too much with the management of his extensive private interests, he resigned on the 30th of July, 1864. He retained a seat on the Executive, however, almost continuously up to the date of the abolition of the provinces, and by his services
The late Mr. Thos. Carter.
in that capacity, as also in that of Superintendent, he won for himself a well merited reputation as one of the shrewdest men and most reliable politicians associated with the early government of Marlborough. Mr. Carter rendered valuable service also in many other minor public capacities. He was chairman of the Marlborough County Council, president of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and a member of the Education Board, the Wairau Road Board, and the Land and Railway League. In the furtherance of education, Mr. Carter took a particularly active part; the establishment of the Marlborough High School was, in a large measure, due to his vigorous advocacy and substantial assistance, and, in addition to presenting a site for that institution, together with a large sum of money, he subsequently founded the scholarship which bears his name. As in public matters, so in his private affairs, he exhibited great perseverance and soundness of judgment. During the latter years of his life, he was one of the largest runholders in the province, and was frequently spoken of as “The Local Wool King.” His landed properties included “Stronvar,” “Hillersden,” “Wantwood,” “Te Arowhenua,” “Richmond Dale,” “The Wither,” “Glenfield,” “The Clarence,” and “Burleigh” runs, and at present (1905) all these properties, with the exception of the “Glenfield” and the “Clarence” runs, belong to his estate. He was interested also in flaxmilling, and the plant erected by him on the “Hillersden” station is one of the most efficient in Marlborough. Mr. Carter resided at “Hillersden” until the year 1886, when, in company with Mrs Carter, he visited the Old Country. During the ten years following his return, he divided his time between Nelson and the various Australian centres, and about the year 1897 took up his residence at Burleigh, near Blenheim, where he died on the 28th of February, 1900. Mr. Carter had no family. His widow resides at Burleigh.