The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Black's Point is a small mining township, towards the hills, on the eastern side of the township of Reefton, from which it is distant about two miles. It is on the bank of the Inangahua river, and is inhabited principally by the families of men employed in the neighbouring quartz mines and batteries. Black's Point is in the Murray riding of the county of Inangahua, in the electorate of Buller, and in the provincial district of Nelson. Its population at the census of 1901 was 315, which formed the greater proportion of the entire population of the Murray riding, the total being 369, of which number forty-two were at Kirwan's Hill. The settlement has an hotel, two stores and a post office and telephone bureau at the residence of Mr. H. F. Knight, and a public school attended by seventyfive children. Religious services are held by clergymen from Reefton. Good coal is found in the ranges at the back of the township.
Black's Point Methodist Church occupies part of a site a quarter of an acre in extent. The building was erected in the year 1874, and has accommodation for one hundred persons. The minister in charge of the Reefton circuit periodically officiates at Black's Point.
Golden Fleece Crushing Mill , Black's Point. This mill is the property of the Consolidated Gold Mining Company, and treats the quartz obtained from the Golden Fleece mine. There is a complete plant for the treatment of quartz; and engines of 200 horse power, capable of working up to 300 horse-power, supply the power for the crushing plant and for the Golden Fleece mine. There is a battery of twenty stamps of 950lb each, and the intermediate eyanide process is in use.
Mr. Andrew Patton Watson , Manager of the Golden Fleece Crushing mill, is a son of Mr. Watson, the manager of the Wealth of Nations mine of the Consolidated Gold Mining Company. He was born in the year 1879, at Crushington, educated at the primary school there, and started work at quartz milling. Mr. Watson attended the School of Mines at Reefton, and obtained a battery superintendent's certificate in 1902. In the year 1900 he superintended the final erection of the Golden Fleece crushing plant, of which he became manager. As a Forester, Mr. Watson is a member of Court Inangahua, Reefton.
Mr. A. P. Watson.