Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]



Sherry is a valley which is devoted to the pastoral industry, and received its name from the colour of the water of the river. It is about fourteen miles from Motupiko railway station. The land is suitable for pastoral purposes, and the soil, which consists of heavy clay loam, fully fifteen feet deep, is probably the bed of an old still water lake. The whole of the land is gold-bearing, and considerable quantities of gold have been taken out of the creek. From 13,000 to 15,000 acres are occupied by the settlers of the district. The post and telegraph office at Sherry is at the residence of Mr. Phillips, and a carrier goes twice a week to Motupiko. There is a Methodist church, at which services are held twice a month.

Kidson, George Henry, Farmer, Sherry. The property consists of 400 acres, and is all fenced and grassed, with the exception of a small piece of land left for shelter. The place carries 500 sheep of the Romney cross, and eighteen head of cattle; only a small portion of the holding is under crop.

Phillips, William Henry, Junior, Sheepfarmer, Sherry. Mr. Phillips has about 2000 acres of freehold, of which two-thirds are cleared and grassed. From 400 to 500 Romney Marsh sheep and about 200 head of page 146 cattle are carried every year, and the fat animals are disposed of to West Coast butchers and cattle dealers. The owner devotes himself to grazing only, and can fatten his stock in both summer and winter. A substantial two-storey residence with thirteen rooms has been erected on the estate. Mr. Phillips was born in Cornwall, England, in 1845, and is a son of Mr. W. H. P. Phillips, who went to Austalia in 1849. He, too, emigrated to Australia in 1858, and resided at Castlemaine and Bendigo. In 1861 he came to New Zealand, and after being at Gabriel's Gully “rush” for a short time, removed to Nelson, where he was one of the earliest diggers at the Wakamarina, and was a member of George Moonlight's prospecting party. He was fairly successful, and, in 1862, went to Tadmor with Mr. Sayle, a Manx man, for the purpose of prospecting. They found gold in payable quantities in the Sherry (Tadmor Hill), but eventually Mr. Phillips sold his claim and took up land. He has taken a prominent part in public affairs for many years, and has on all occasions identified himself with progressive measures. For thirteen years he was a member of the Waimea County Council, and acted for a similar period as chairman of the Upper Motueka Highway Road Board, one of the largest boards in New Zealand, which spent up to £7000 a year. He has been a member of the Nelson Education Board for about twenty-two years; and is now its senior member. Mr. Phillips was appointed a Justice of the Peace by Sir George Grey's Government in 1878. He is one of the oldest Freemasons in New Zealand, and is a member of the Royal Arch Chapter. Mr. Phillips has been chairman of several school committees. He contested the Wai mea-Picton seat in 1890, when Mr. C. H. Mills was elected. Mr. Phillips is an enthusiastic bowler and takes an interest in musical matters. He married a daughter of Mr. William Hunt, of Wakefield, and has four sons and four daughters.
Mr. And Mrs J. L. Rollet.

Mr. And Mrs J. L. Rollet.

Mr. H. W. Rouskk.

Mr. H. W. Rouskk.

Villa Farm (Joseph L. Rollet, proprietor), Sherry. This farm comprises 1200 acres at Sherry, and 200 acres at Tadmor, the whole of which is freehold, and cleared, with the exception of about 100 acres of timber, which is held in reserve. The land at Sherry is exceptionally good, equal to any in the Nelson province; between 400 and 500 acres are ploughable, capable of growing any ceroal, and cannot be excelled for hop culture. Of the Tadmor property, 120 acres are flat. The farms carry 1800 Romney Marsh sheep and 120 head of polled Angus cattle, descended from imported stock. The necessary outbuildings are complete in every respect. Mr. Rollet crops about fifty acres for cereals, and also has a portion under hops.

Mr. Joseph Leonard Rollet , Proprietor of Villa Farm, was born at Sherry in 1875, and is a son of the late Mr. B. Rollet. He was brought up on the farm, educated at the local school, and was two years at St. Patrick's College, Wellington. Twelve months after his return, he took charge of the property. Mr. Rollet is a member of the local school committee. He married a daughter of Mr. B. Harford.