The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
As Nelson is equi-distant between the northern and southern extremities of New Zealand, it is not subject in summer to the sub-tropical heat of Auckland, nor, in winter, to the snows and frosts of Otago and Southland. Immediately to the north the town is sheltered by range after range of hills; and, as a rule, even the warmest of its summer days are tempered with a mild breeze from the sea. Hence Nelson is praised as a perfect health resort; and the longevity, and the robust health and vigour of its own pioneer colonists, justify this reputation. Still the care of the sick, the suffering, and the afflicted is well provided for, and in addition to the public hospital, with its qualified professional staff, there are a number of private nursing homes, and five medical practitioners reside in the city. Those of these who are not mentioned in this section, declined to supply the necessary information.
Andrew, Philip Oswald, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P.; Nile Street, Nelson. Dr. Andrew was educated at Nelson College, and pursued his medical studies at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, where he became qualified in 1896.
Hudson, James, M.R.C.S. Eng., L.S.A. Lond., and B.M., University of London: Nelson. Dr. Hudson was born in 1854, in London, educated at the Devizes Grammar School, and graduated M.B. at the London University. He practised his profession in England for some time, and then went to South Africa, where he was in practice near Kimberley for two years. Shortly afterwards he came to New Zealand, and settled at Nelson, where he has since resided. He was a member of the Nelson City Council from 1901, to April, 1905, when he resigned on being appointed District Health Officer for Nelson and Marlborough. In 1886, he married a daughter of the Rev. J. C. Andrew, of Masterton, and has seven sons and two daughters.
Dr. J. Hudson.
Roberts, Edward John, B M., B.S., Univ., N.Z.; formerly of Hardy Street, Nelson. Dr. Roberts is a son of Dr. E. T. Roberts. He was born in Canada in 1864, and educated at the Collegiate school, Hawkesbury, Prescott. He took up his medical studies in Melbourne, and finished at Dunedin, where he obtained his degree. Dr. Roberts was for two years assistant house surgeon at the Dunedin hospital, and for twelve months surgeon at Lyttelton gaol, where he acted as locum tenens for Dr. Pairman. In 1892 he settled in Nelson, where he joined Dr. Hudson in practice. He was medical officer to the Stoke Orphanage, Stoke Foresters, Nelson Female Foresters, Nelson Druids and Forester's lodges; and was also examiner for five insurance companies. Dr. Roberts, who married a daughter of Judge Mackay, of the New Zealand Native Lands Court, is now (1905) surgeon at the Public Hospital, Hobart, Tasmania.
Deck, Charles, James, Surgeon Dentist, Trafalgar Street, Nelson. Mr. Deck was born in Motucka and received his education at the Nelson College, after which he commenced the study of his profession. He established his present business in 1884, and has ever since conducted it successfully. The dental and operating rooms are fitted up with the latest appliances, and furnished with careful attention to every detail. There are two handsomely appointed reception rooms, with a lady in attendance.
Greenwood, John, SurgeonDentist, Trafalgar Street, Nelson. Mr. Greenwood was born in Mitcham, Surrey, England, in the year 1832, and is the eldest son of the late Dr. John Danforth Greenwood, one of the early pioneers of Nelson. Mr. Greenwood arrived in New Zealand in the year 1843, in the ship “Phoebe Dunbar,” and received his education at the Bishop's School, Nelson, and at St. John's College, Auckland. He studied dentistry in Nelson under Mr. Henry Rawson, and subsequently practised his profession at Greymouth, Wanganui and Palmerston North be- page 84 fore he settled in Nelson. Mr. Greenwood was a Justice of the Peace for nearly thirty years. He married a daughter of Major Gascoyne, of the Fifth Bengal Cavalry, in 1858, and has a grown-up family of three sons and two daughters.
Mr. J. Greenwood.
Squires, William W., Dental Surgeon, Trafalgar Street, Nelson. This practice was established in February, 1898. Mr. Squires' surgery is fitted up with the most recent appliances, which were brought by him from England and America. Mr. Squires is a son of the late Dr. Squires, who was at one time well known in Nelson, and was educated at Nelson College. He learned dentistry with the late Mr. W. H. Skeet, of Auckland, and has practised in various cities throughout New Zealand. Mr. Squires completed his dental experience in America, where he went to obtain all the latest instruments and appliances in connection with his profession.