Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]


page 72


In New Zealand bishops and wealthy merchants ride bicycles, farm labourers and artisans own horses, and some leisure is enjoyed by well nigh all classes of the population. Add to these conditions a climate that is eminently suitable for outdoor life, and it follows that there must be a fairly healthy desire for sports, pastimes and social intercourse. Indeed, so much is this the case, that the space given in newspapers to race meetings, and to the functions of social organisations, is often greater than that taken up by all the cabled news of the whole world. The gospel of healthy occupation for mind and body during the hours set apart for recreation is therefore in high favour in New Zealand. In the matter of climatic inducement in this connection Nelson is not excelled by any other part of the colony; 3,010 hours of clear sunshine were recorded in 1904, an average of eight hours and a-quarter for every day of the year. In consequence of this bountiful brightness, picnics are held in abundance, and the Maitai Valley, Zig-Zag, the Glen and Cable Bay are favourite resorts. Theatrical companies do not usually include Nelson in their New Zealand tours, and hence most of the entertainments provided in the city are of a local character. Rowing within the harbour enclosed by the Boulder Bank, or yachting and fishing in the quiet waters of Blind Bay, are available to those who enjoy such recreations. The Maitai and other rivers afford excellent trout fishing, and in the hilly country near at hand, deerstalking may be practised with success. Around the city, and through the Waimea Plain, the roads are in perfect order for cyclists and motorists, while the Botanical Gardens and Trafalgar Park afford space for cricket, football, hockey, and other athletic exercises.


Nelson Club , Selwyn Place, Nelson. The club-house, a handsome two-storied wooden building was erected in the year 1903, and was opened on the 19th of December of that year. The ground floor contains the smoking rooms, visitors room, billiard room (fitted with Alcock and Co.'s, table) dining room, kitchen, and lavatory. The second story includes two card rooms, reading room, and a periodical room, well supplied with magazines from all parts of the world. The bath rooms, lavatories, washhouse, and other rooms are situated outside the building. The club-house is well appointed, and a popular resort with its members, who number 113. Officers for the year 1905: Committee, Messrs Harrison, Richmond, King, Greenfield, Rout, Allen, and J. T. Catley: Trustees, Messrs P. B. Adams, H. R. Duncan, and C. Y. Fell, Mr. A. P. Burns is honorary secretary.

The City Club , Nelson, has its quarters in the New Zealand Insurance Company's buildings in Trafalgar Street. The annual meeting is held in July, and the committee meets fortnightly. There are about ninety-five members, and the officers for 1905 are: Mr. G. G. Trask, President: Mr. H. Logan, Vice-President; and Mr. F. A. Bamford, secretary.

Orders And Friendly Societies.

Many Of The Early Pioneers of New Zealand were Freemasons, who, after setting in their new homes, lost no time in establishing Masonic Lodges. The Lodge Ara (Auckland), No. 1, New Zealand Constitution, formerly 348, Irish Constitution, was founded on the 5th of September, 1842, as the first Masonic Lodge in New Zealand, New Zealand Pacific (Wellington), No. 2, New Zealand Constitution, formerly 517. English Constitution, was established four days later. The Lodge of Unanimity (Lyttelton) No. 3, New Zealand Constitution, formerly 604, English Constitution, dates its existence from October, 1851. Lodge Mount Egmont (New Plymouth), No. 670, English Constitution, was opened in September, 1853. Of the Nelson Lodges, the oldest is Lodge Southern Star, No. 735, English Constitution, which was established on the 4th of October, 1853. Lodge Victory, No. 40, New Zealand Constitution, was founded under the English Constitution, in 1881, but elected to work under the New Zealand Constitution in 1890. Of the country lodges. Lodge Forest at Wakefield, and Lodge Golden Bay at Takaka, were founded under the English Constitution, but the former has since gone over to the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. Lodge Motueka has been formed under the New Zealand Constitution.

Lodge Southern Star , No. 735, English Constitution. This Lodge was established on the 4th of October, 1853, when it was opened by Captain Scott, of Sydney, under a dispensation from the Grand Lodge of New South Wales. It then had ten affiliating members. In the same month Mr. J. P. Whitehead, Past Master, one of the affiliating members, gave a donation of £100 towards building a Masonic Hall. The first Lodge meeting was held in the Oddfellows' Hall, where the Coach and Horses Hotel now stands, and Mr. Thomas Sullivan was the first master. The Lodge transacted its first business on the 16th of May, 1854, when Messrs John Sharp, Thomas Renwick, J. F. Wilson and George Taylor were proposed for membership. These candidates were duly initiated on the 23rd of July of the same year. A few months later Mr. Sharp was invested as secretary. In the year 1855, the widow of Mr. Whitehead gave to the Lodge one acre of land in Waimea Street; and the rent from this plot was allowed to accumulate until the year 1885, when the present hall in Collingwood Street was erected. In the meantime meetings were held in a hall, in Trafalgar Street, and in the Wakatu Hotel. The Lodge Southern Star holds its meetings on the Tuesday nearest the full moon throughout the year. Mr. Charles Leaper is the present Worshipful Master, and Mr. J. McEachen is secretary.

Mr. Charles Leaper , Worshipful Master of Lodge Southern Star, No. 735, English Constitution, page 73 was installed in office by Mr. Thomas Mant, Worshipful Past Master, in December, 1904. He was initiated in his present Lodge in 1900, and is also an Oddfellow of many years' standing. Mr. Leaper was born in Nelson in 1859, and is a son of the late Mr. Nathaniel Leaper. He was educated at the Government school, and subsequently served an apprenticeship to the building trade under his step-father, Mr W. T. Good. Since 1893 he has been in Mr. H. Baigent's employment, and is now foreman of the joinery shop. Mr. Leaper is a member of the Nelson Garrison Band, and holds the twelve years' long service medal.

Mr. James Mceachen , Secretary and Past Master of the Southern Star Lodge, No. 735, English Constitution, was born in Nelson in 1848, and is the son of Mr. A. McEachen, who arrived in Nelson in one of the first ships. Most of the days of Mr. McEachen's boyhood were spent in Victoria, Australia, and on his return to Nelson in 1863, he entered the “Evening Mail” office, where he now (1905) occupies a responsible position. He has been secretary of his Lodge since 1893, and was installed as Master in the previous year. Mr. McEachen is also a Past Grand Master of the Order of Oddfellows.

Tyree, photo. Mr. J. Mceachen.

Tyree, photo.
Mr. J. Mceachen.

Lodge Victory , No. 40, New Zealand Constitution, was inaugurated as an offshoot of Lodge Southern Star, No. 735, on the 24th of May, 1881, as No. 1927, English Constitution. Upon the establishment of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand, Lodge Victory decided to work under the new Constitution. Dr. L. G. Boor was the Lodge's first Worshipful Master, and he was followed in the chair successively by Messrs W. B. Sealy, W. M. Stanton, B. Buttler, J. C. Mercer, A. E. Cresswell, K. Allen, A. W. Bain, W. Moyes, W. W. de Castro, W. H. Short, J. Boon, J. Morrison, A. C. Wright, R. T. Melhnish, W. C. Ancell, A. A. Grace, S. Ellis. The present Master is Mr. W. W. de Castro, who is in his second term. Originally meetings were held in the Masonic Hall, Collingwood Street, but now take place in the Oddfellows' Hall, Waimea Street, on the second Tuesday in each month.

Mr. W. W. De Castro , Worshipful Master of Lodge Victory, is referred to in connection with the Government offices in Nelson.


The Manchester Unity Of Oddfellows claims to be the richest friendly society in the world, and in its great fraternal fold, men of all ranks assemble on terms of equality. The first Lodge in New Zealand was established in Nelson in 1842, shortly after the arrival of the ship “Martha Ridgway.” On the voyage out from England nine members of the Order held meetings on board, and decided to form a Lodge on their arrival. Accordingly, the first meeting was held in the open air, near the Saltwater Bridge, on the afternoon of Thursday, the 7th of April, 1842. A dispensation was granted by the Sydney District, and the Loyal Nelson Lodge commenced its work, with Past Provincial Grand Master Sullivan as its first Grand Master. Four years later, two new lodges were opened, the Royal Travellers' Rest at Richmond, and the Loyal Howard, in Nelson. It was then decided to constitute Nelson a district. In 1850 Lodge Motueka was opened, and is now the parent Lodge of the Motueka district. The first meetings of the Order were held in public houses, but on the 5th of June, 1855, the foundation stone of an Oddfellows' Hall was laid by Mr. E. W. Stafford, the Superintendent of the province. This building did duty until 1891, when the foundation stone of the present hall was laid by Mr. P. Trask, then Mayor of the city. The Loyal Mansion of Peace Lodge was started at Wakefield in 1860, and five years later the Loyal General Cameron Lodge was opened at Brightwater. The jubilee of Oddfellowship in New Zealand was celebrated in 1892, when the meetings, which lasted several days, were attended by delegates from all over the colony.

Mr. Joseph Edward Clear , District Provincial Grand Master of the Independent Order of Oddfellows, was installed in office on the 9th of February, 1905, by Mr. A. N. Bachelor, Deputy Grand Master of New Zealand. Mr. Clear was initiated into Oddfellowship in the Loyal Howard Lodge, of which he is a Past Grand Master. He was born at Collingwood, in 1872, and received his education at the Government school, Nelson. Afterwards he served an apprenticeship to the tailoring trade with Mr. W. Moyes, and started in business on his own account in 1903, with premises in Bridge Street. Mr. Clear was at one time a member of the Albion and Prince Albert Football Clubs, and represented the province in several interprovincial matches. He married a daughter of Mr. C. King, of Nelson, and has a family of two daughters.

Tyree, photo. Mr. J. E. Clear

Tyree, photo.
Mr. J. E. Clear

The Loyal Nelson Lodge Of Oddfellows , No 3615, was estabished in the year 1842. It has a present membership of 225, and the funds, at the last balance, showed a credit of £3,948. Meetings are held on alternate Wednesday evenings, at the Oddfellows Hall, Waimea Street. The Loyal Wakatu Juvenile Lodge, which was established in the year 1882, is attached to the Loyal Nelson Lodge. Officers of the Loyal Nelson Lodge for 1905: Bro. A. J. Pellew, Noble Grand; Bro. E. E. Pellew, Vice Grand; Bro. W. Stevenson, Elective Secretary; Bro. H. Edwards, Trea- page 74 surer; and Bro. F. H. Hounsell, Permanent Secretary.

Mr. F. H. Hounsell , Permanent Secretary and Past Grand of the Loyal Nelson Lodge of Oddfellows, and Past Provincial Grand Master of the Nelson District, was born in Nelson in 1862, and received his education at the Bishop's School and Nelson College. He has been in the employment of the Anchor Shipping and Foundry Company since 1878, where he began as junior clerk. Afterwards he held the position of purser of the Company's steamers, and was then appointed accountant, a position still held by him. Mr. Hounsell has always taken an active interest in fraternal societies, and is one of the moving spirits of his Lodge in all things conducive to harmonious brotherhood. He has also compiled a history of the Southern Star Lodge of Freemasons, of which he is a Past Master; and the pamphlet has been highly appreciated by the members. Mr. Hounsell is a member of the vestry of All Saints, and is a representative of that parish on the Diocesan Synod.

The Loyal Howard Lodge , No. 4207, Nelson District, a branch of the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows, was established in the year 1847, and meets every alternate Wednesday at the registered Lodge room. Waimea Street, in the city of Nelson. It has a capital of £8,216 18s 10d, with a membership of 225. At the last quinquennial valuation, made in 1900, it showed a surplus of £1900, of which £1200 was set aside for division amongst the members as an increased Funeral Benefit, bearing interest at the rate earned by the Lodge, which is one of the most prosperous in the Nelson district. The Lodge is managed by a Grand Master, a Noble Grand, or chairman, a Vice-Grand, an Elective Secretary, a Treasurer, and a Permanent or paid Secretary, with five Trustees. In addition to the sick and funeral and widows' and orphans' benefits, the members are provided with medical attendance and medicine for themselves, their wives and families. Officers for 1905: Grand Master Bro. W. G. McGee: Noble Grand, Bro. C. R. Cooke; Vice-Grand, Bro. S. D. Gray; Elective Secretary, Bro. H. J. Clarke; Permanent Steretary, Fast Provincial Grand Master, Bro. A. N. Batchelor; and Treasurer, Past Provincial Grand Master, Bro. William Moyles. The surgeons are Drs. James Hudson, S. A. Lucas, and P. O. Andrews, and the Trustees, Bros. A. R. Smart, R. Allen, A. R. Kitching, A. B. Giblin, and J. Sharp, junior.

Past Provincial Grand Master Brother Arthur Nicholas Batchelor , Permanent Secretary of Loyal Howard Lodge, was born in Nelson in 1860. He joined the Lodge in the year 1877, and after filling the positions of Elective Secretary and Vice Grand, was appointed to the position of Permanent Secretary in the year 1878, and has held the office to the present day. On leaving school at the age of fifteen years, he accepted an appointment in a solicitor's office, and after filling, several positions—one as accountant and law clerk to the present Attorney-General, the Hon. Albert Pitt—accepted the position of accountant to Messrs Adams and Kingdon in the year 1877, when he took charge of the financial business of that firm, and still holds the position. With a record of over twenty-eight years' service with Messrs Adams and Kingdon, and of twenty-seven years as secretary of the Lodge, Mr. Batchelor naturally stands high as a citizen and as a member of the Order of Oddfellows. He has attended all the district meetings as a delegate since his appointment as Permanent Secretary, has passed through the district chairs, and at the meeting of the Biennial Moveable Committee held in Auckland in 1904, he was appointed Deputy Grand Master for New Zealand. In the year 1880 he married a daughter of the late Harbourmaster, Captain J. S. Cross, who shares with him the great interest in matters connected with Friendly Societies.

Tyree, photo. Mr. A. N. Batchelor.

Tyree, photo.
Mr. A. N. Batchelor.


The Ancient Order Of Foresters dates its existence in Nelson from the inauguration of Court Robin Hood, on the 5th of March, 1863. A meeting for the formation of a district was held in the following year, and on the 18th of January, 1865, the first annual meeting was held. At that period there were four courts in existence in the district, but at the end of December, 1904, there were ten courts, in addition to a Female Court, and two Juvenile Courts. The female branch of the order in Nelson is the oldest Female Court in the Australasian colonies. The membership of the Nelson district is 978, and the total funds amount to £20,998. The District Court meets on the first Thursday in each month; and at the annual meeting, held in February, all the Courts in the district are represented by delegates, and the officers for the ensuing year are elected.

Mr. John William Treacher , District Chief Ranger of the Ancient Order of Foresters, was installed in office on the 11th of February, 1905, by Mr. J. C. Harley, Past Chief Ranger. Mr. Treacher was initiated into Forestry in Court Robin Hood, in June, 1881, and is a Past Chief Ranger of his Court. He was born in London, England, in 1850, and received his education in that city at the Davenant Endowed School. In 1865, he arrived in New Zealand in the ship “Wild Duck,” and was subsequently four fourteen years engaged on Mr. John Haycock's sheep run in the Wairau. Since 1879, Mr. Treacher has resided in Nelson, and has been in the
Tyree, photo.Mr. J. W. Treacher.

Tyree, photo.
Mr. J. W. Treacher.

page 75 service of Messrs Wilkins and Field for over twenty-three years. He was for nine years secretary of the Emmanuel Congregational Church, Nelson, and on retiring from office was presented by the members with an elaborate writing desk and a framed illuminated address. He is a member of the Nelson School Committee, on which he has held a seat for a number of years. Mr. Treacher married a daughter of Mr. Charles Cheel, of Nelson, in 1880, and has two sons and three daughters.

The Independent Order Of Rechabites was established in Nelson in the year 1842. At a meeting held in the month of May of that year, it was decided to form a Provident Society of total abstainers. The Tent then instituted was named the Nelson Reformer, and Mr. Alfred Saunders was the Principal. This Tent has since been “struck,” and its place taken by the Bud of Promise, which was established in 1874. Meetings are held in the Rechabites' Hall, Bridge Street, on alternate Tuesdays. Mr. T. Fathers is secretary, and Mr. T. Brough treasurer. There is also a Juvenile Tent and Female Tent.


The United Ancient Order Of Druids in Nelson belongs to two central bodies. The Maitai and Trafalgar bodies constitute No. 12 District Grand Lodge of the North Island of New Zealand; whilst the Takaka, Collingwood, and Sherwood Lodges form at present No. 37 District of the Grand Lodge of Australia. The Maitai Lodge, the parent lodge of the surrounding district, was established in 1902, and holds its meetings on alternate Mondays in the Druids' Hall, Collingwood Street. Mr. W. F. Thomson is is Secretary, and Mr. E. Craig Treasurer.

Sports, Games And Pastimes.

The Nelson Amateur Athletic And Cycling Club was established in June, 1895. At that time athletics were at a low ebb in Nelson, but the reproach was soon removed by the Amateur Athletic and Cycling Club. At its second annual gathering, held on the 13th of July, 1897, the Club had an active membership of 128, with thirty-five honorary members. Meetings have been held by the club twice annually since its formation, and have been fairly successful. The meeting of June, 1897, formed part of the general programme of the Nelson celebration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, and the sum of £24 —the net profit—was handed over to the Jubilee Committee. At the annual meeting of 1898 the membership of the Club had increased to 160. The meetings are held in Trafalgar Park, where there is an excellent asphalt track. The track has three laps to the mile, and was one of the first of its kind in New Zealand, as it was made about the year 1886. It is still considered by racing cyclists to be one of the safest and fastest of its kind in New Zealand. Competitors from all parts of New Zealand attend the race meetings, due largely to the judgment of the the club's handicappers. The Cycling Club is affiliated to the League of New Zealand Wheelmen, and the pedestrian events are contested under the rules of the Amateur Athletic Association. In 1898 the Cycling Club took up a club room in Selwyn Place, but subsequently secured more commodious quarters in Bridge Street. Officers for 1905: President, Mr. C. Y. Fell; Vice-Presidents, Messrs G. A. Macquarrie, F. H. Richmond, S. Bolton, F. G. Gibbs, and G. R. Rout; Captain, Mr. W. N. Poole; Vice-Captain, Mr. H. Milner: Starter, Mr. J. C. Mercer; Handicappers (cycling) Mr. W. N. Poole, (athletics) Messrs C. S. Cresswell and George Hogg; Honorary Treasurer, Mr. F. Hurley; Honorary Secretary, Mr. Frank P. Kitching.

Mr. Frank P. Kitching . Honorary Secretary of the Nelson Amateur Athletic and Cycling Club, is a son of Mr. A. R. Kitching, and was born in Nelson in 1884. He received his education at the Boys' Central School and the Nelson College, and subsequently entered business with his father, who is a general provision merchant, with premises in Hardy Street. Mr. Kitching is an all-round athlete, and is a member of the Nelson Rowing Club, Swimming Club, and Footbal Club. He also takes an interest in volunteering, and is a member of the College Cycle Corps. As secretary of the largest athletic body in Nelson, he is universally regarded as the right man in the right place, and fills the position with credit to himself and satisfaction to his club and visiting competitors.

Tyree, photo. Mr. F. P. Kitching.

Tyree, photo.
Mr. F. P. Kitching.


The Nelson Sailing Club is composed of twenty-five active members, and several limited members, who are privileged to sail boats in the club's races, but have no voice in its management. There is a fleet of about fifteen sailing boats, the largest of which is Mr. C. Y. Fell's “Maritana.” Some of the boats belong to the New Zealand Squadron, and others are auxiliary yachts, fitted with oil engines. The Nelson annual regatta is held under the auspices of the Sailing Club, and at the carnival of 1904 the Championship of the Harbour Race was won by the “Rose,” an eighteen-foot boat. At the Picton regattas the Nelson Club's boats have been extremely fortunate in winning most of the important races, with their cups, trophies, etc. Officers for 1905: Commodore, Mr. C. J. Deck; Vice-Commodore, Mr J. J. Cook; Honorary Secretary, Mr. A. J. Glasgow; Honorary Treasurer, Mr. P. Moore.

Mr. Charles James Deck , Commodore of the Nelson Sailing Club, was elected in October, 1904, and had previously served the club in the same capacity. Mr. Deck is an enthusiastic yachtsman, and owner of the “Petrel,” an up-to-date five-ton boat, in which he spends most of his spare time, and freely treats his friends to excursions round the harbour. Mr. Deck is also a member of the Nelson Camera Club. He is referred to in another article as a dental surgeon.

Racing And Sporting.

The Nelson Jockey Club is the oldest club of its kind in New Zealand. It holds an annual meeting lasting two days—generally in the month of March—on the racecourse, in Richmond Park. The track is of turf —one mile and a distance in circumference, and there is also a training grass track. A fine grand stand, saddling paddock, and other conveniences, have been provided. Officers for 1905: President, Mr. Edward Finney; Vice-President, Major Franklyn; Stewards, Messrs J. A. page 76 Harley, H. Baigent, A. T. Jones, E. Trask, A. F. Trask, J. T. Lynch and J. Wadsworth; Judge, Mr. C. E. Bartlett; Handicapper, Mr. J. E. Henrys; Honorary Treasurer, Mr. J. A. Harley; Honorary Surgeon, Dr. Hamilton; Honorary Veterinary Surgeon, Mr. A. W. Barnes; Secretary, Mr. John Glen.

Societies, Etc.

The Nelson Agricultural And Pastoral Association was founded in the year 1893. An annual show, which lasts two days, is held generally at the end of November, or early in December—in Richmond Park, the property of the Association. Entries are received from all parts of the province, and the stock exhibited is second to none in New Zealand. Mr. Philip Best was the first President of the Association. Officers for the year 1904–5: President. Mr. George E. Chisnall; Vice-Presidents, Messrs A. Gibbs, H. Croucher, and W. W. Livescy; Honorary Treasurer, Mr. George Talbot; Secretary, Mr. John Glen.

Mr. George E. Chisnall , President of the Nelson Agricultural and Pastoral Association, is a son of the late Mr. T. H. Chisnall, of Stoke, and a grandson of the late Mr. E. Buxton, of Nelson and Stoke. He was born at Stoke in 1872, and received his education at a primary school, and at the Boys' College, Nelson. Afterwards he travelled on the West Coast as representative of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of Australasia. Subsequently he took an extended pleasure trip over Australia, and, on returning to Nelson in 1897, took up a farm at Appleby, where he has since resided. Mr. Chisnall has been a member of the Nelson Agricultural and Pastoral Association since 1899, and was elected President in April, 1904. He is also a vice-president of the Nelson Provincial District Executive of the Farmers' Union, and President of the Richmond Cricket Club. As a boy he upheld the prestige of his college in various athletic tournaments. Mr. Chisnall married a daughter of Mr. John Best, of Appleby, in June, 1897, and has a family of one son and two daughters.

Tyree photo. Mr. G. E. Chisnall.

Tyree photo.
Mr. G. E. Chisnall.

Mr. John Glen , Secretary to the Nelson Agricultural and Pastoral Association, was born in Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1847. In 1882 he left the Old Country for Australia, and after a short time spent in Adelaide and other Australian towns, came over to Dunedin in 1884. Shortly afterwards Mr. Glen removed to Nelson, where he resided until 1892, and was subsequently engaged in farming in the Appleby district for five years. In 1893, when the Nelson Agricultural and Pastoral Association was founded, Mr. Glen, who was one of its chief promoters, was appointed secretary, and he has since filled that position with great credit to himself and advantage to the Association. He is also secretary of the Nelson Jockey Club, and of the Nelson Trotting Club. Mr. Glen resides at Richmond, a few miles from Nelson.

Tyree, photo. Mr. J. Glen.

Tyree, photo.
Mr. J. Glen.

The Nelson Returned Troopers' Association was formed in 1903, and has sixty-five members, all of whom are residents of the Nelson provincial district, who took part in the South African war, The objects of the Association are to promote goodfellowship, and it holds a yearly re-union, and an annual ball. Many of the members have been assisted by the Association; for instance, one received a pension through the efforts of the executive members, and others have found various kinds of employment through the same agency. A team of fifteen members represents the Association in monthly rifle matches against rifle clubs and other defence bodies, and has been able to hold its town against all comers. Officers for 1905: President, Dr Walter R. Pearless; Chairman, Mr Wilfred H. Redwood; Honorary Treasurer, Mr. J. MeGoldrick; Honorary Secretary, Mr. H. W. Spear.

Mr. Wilfred Henry Redwood , Chairman of the Nelson Returned Troopers' Association, was born at “Vernon,” Marlborough, in 1869, and educated at St. Patrick's College, Wellington. He spent several years on his father's farm in Marlborough, and was subsequently engaged as accountant for five years on the Flaxbourne station. He was a veterinary corporal in the Eighth New Zealand Contingent, and saw twelve months' service in South Africa. On returning to Nelson he entered the service of Messrs Harley and Sons, brewers, and page 77 is still in their employment. Mr. Redwood has been an enthusiastic football player, and for sixteen years he represented the province of Marlborough in all its interprovincial matches, and played three-quarter back. He has toured all over New Zealand as a footballer, and is recognised as the best back Marlborough ever had in the field. Mr. Redwood has won many medals, cups and trophies, and is an honorary member of the Albion Football Club, Nelson.

Tyree, photo. Mr. W. H. Redwood.

Tyree, photo.
Mr. W. H. Redwood.

Mr. Howard W. Spear was appointed Honorary Secretary of the Nelson Returned Troopers' Association in 1904. He was born in Nelson, in 1881, and received his education at the Boys' Central School. During the South African war, Mr. Spear was a corporal in the Eighth New Zealand Contingent, and after nine months' service in South Africa, returned with the regiment to New Zealand, Mr. Spear is captain of the Rival Foot ball Club, and deputy-captain of the Nelson Swimming Club.

Tyree, photo. Mr. H. W. Spear.

Tyree, photo.
Mr. H. W. Spear.

The State Control League Of New Zealand , which was founded in Nelson by the Rev. David MeKee Wright and Mr. Harry Atmore, has come prominently before the public, on account of the new light it throws on the trade in alcoloh'ic liqnors. The League has already the sympathy of several Legislative Councillors and a number of members of the House. The temperance question has been for a long time before the people of New Zealand, and has had the effect of dividing the voters of the colony, into two main camps. With the initiation of the State Control League, however, a new platform of temperance reform has been set up, in the hope that the common sense on which it is based, may appeal strongly to the people. The League proposes— “(1) That the State should acquire by purchase all interests in hotels, breweries, and stocks of liquor in New Zealand. (2) That the entire importation, manufacture for sale, and sale, of all alcoholic liquors should be under the control and management of a non-political Board of Commissioners, answerable only to Parliament. (3.) That the profits should not be used for increasing the fiscal revenue, but that all surplus profits accruing from the sale of liquor—after providing for interest on capital invested, and sinking fund—should be directly devoted to counteracting the attrations of the bar, by providing healthy entertainment for the people.” Many branches of the League have been formed in other parts of the colony, and it is expected that the League will exercise a far-reaching influence in future elections. The League has already one thousand members in the Nelson district.