The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
The military forces of New Zealand consist of a permanent body of artillery and submarine miners, the volunteers, and the militia. The militia consists practically of all male colonists capable of bearing arms in the defence of the country, but this body would be requisitioned only in case of extreme necessity. His Excellency the Governor is Commander-in-Chief; the Right Honourable Richard John Seddon Minister for Defence; and Colonel James Melville Babington, of His Majesty's General Staff (local Major-General), is the Commandant. Captain John Edward Hume commands the permanent force; and Colonel Thomas William Porter, C.B., is the officer in command of the New Zealand militia. Auckland, Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch and Dunedin is each the headquarters of a military district, and each district is under the command of resident officers.
The Nelson military district, which comprises the provinces of Nelson, Marlborough, and Westland, is under the command of Major (temporary Lientenant-Colonel), George Cecil. Burleigh Wolfe, N.Z.M. (late Captain R.L.M.I.). The Adjutant is Lieutenant (temporary Captain) Sydney Vincent Trask, N.Z.M.; and the Principal Medical Officer, Brigade Surgeon Lieut. Colonel Walter Relf Pearless. The forces of the district consist of two field artillery corps, four corps of mounted rifles, twelve infantry (including cycling) companies, one bearer corps, seven cadet corps, and fourteen rifle clubs.
On the outbreak of the first Maori war, in 1845, two companies of militia were formed in Nelson. The staff officers were AdjutantMajor Newcome and Quartermaster Henry Seymour. Dr. Greenwood was captain of the No. 1 Company, Dr. Renwick, lieutenant, and Mr. Charles Thorp, ensign. The officers of No. 2 Company were: Dr. Monro, captain, Lieutenant Dillon Bell, and Ensign A. le G. Campbell. Except for attendance at a number of drills, their services were not requisitioned, and on the settlement of the war the companies were disbanded, but one of the members, Mr. John Sharp, senior, still (1905) resides in Nelson.
When war broke out in Taranaki, in 1860, a company of militia was again called out, under the command of Captain B. Walmsley and Lieutenant John Sharp, but was soon abandoned, owing to the formation of volunteer corps. The first volunteer corps in Nelson owed its origin to a meeting which was held in the Wakatu Hotel, on the 16th of February, 1860, at which it was resolved: “That a company of volunteers for military service should at once be formed; to be called the Nelson Company of Volunteers, to consist of seventyfive rank and file.” Messrs W. T. L. Travers, B. Walmsley, D. Walmsley, D. Sinclair, H. E. Curtis, J. Percy, J. Millar, and C. Elliott were appointeded a committee to carry out the purpose of the resolution, and so well did these gentlemen work that, in less than two months, a company was formed, with Mr. Travers as captain; Mr. S. Kingdon, lieutenant; and Mr. H. E. Curtis, ensign. Shortly after the swearing in of No. 1 Company— owing to the strong military ardour aroused in Nelson—a second company was formed, with Mr. N. Edwards as captain; Mr. A. Kerr, lieutenant, and Mr. B. O. Hodgson, ensign. A Volunteer Naval Artillery Company was also organised at the Port, under the command of Captain William Akersten, and Lieutenants Thomas Trewhellar and Frederick Stock. With the advice and assistance of Lieutenant Pocock, R.N., this corps soon became an extremely proficient and useful branch of the service. The public spirit spread to the country districts, and corps were formed at Richmond, Waimea (three companies), Wakefield, Motueka and Moutere. It should, however, be stated that an intense dislike to join the militia was one cause why so many volunteer corps were formed; the men were desirous of learning something about military tactics before being called upon for active service, but they also knew that membership in a volunteer corps exempted them from serving in the militia. After various changes in the regulations, “The Defence Act of 1886” was passed by the Legislature, and the new regulations framed under it made the discipline of the forces stricter, and placed them on a firmer foundation.
In 1868 there were Maori disturbances on both the east and the west coasts of the North Island. They did not particularly concern Nelson, but about fifty volunteers from the district went to help the forces which were employed near Wanganui, in an endeavour to put down Tito Kowarau, the rebel chief. When the Te Whiti scare occurred in October, 1881, nearly 200 volunteers from Nelson responded to the Governor's call for active service at Parihaka; and the Nelson Naval Artillery, H Battery, City Rifles, Stoke Rifles and Waimea Rifles took part in the expedition. Although there was no actual fighting, the forces gained valuable experience in drill, camp work, and rough campaigning. The Nelson volunteers were the first to arrive at Rohotu (where subsequently 1,200 troops assembled from various parts of the colony), and in company with the Thames volunteers, were assigned an important position in the advance upon and investment of Parihaka, when Te Whiti, Tohu, and Hiroki were arrested by the Armed Constabulary. Lient-Col. Pitt, the of- page 49 ficer in command of the Nelson contingent, was signalled out for special praise by the Defence Minister, the Hon. John Bryce, who complimented him and the volunteers under his command for the thorough manner in which they had carried out their part of the work.
On their return to Nelson the volunteers received an enthusiastic welcome from the townspeople and the Mayor presented them with an address on behalf of the Council and citizens.
The Volunteer corps of the Nelson district have always held a high position in the defence forces of the colony. In numbers, drill, discipline, and general efficiency, a very high standard is maintained, and at tournaments and military displays the Nelson Volunteers have always been able to hold their own against all competitors.
The New Zealand Rifle Association's meetings have generally drawn a number of competitors from the ranks of the Nelson Volunteers and members of Rifle Clubs; and on six occasions the Champion Belt of the colony has been won by Nelson marksmen.
The Nelson military district has had as its commanders the Hon. Major Richmond, C.B., Captain Baigent, Captain J. T. Marshall, Lieut.-Colonel Pitt, and the present commander, Lieut.-Colonel G. C. B. Wolfe.
Lieutenant-Colonel George Cecil Burleigh Wolfe, N.Z.M., officer commanding the Nelson Military District, was born at Plymouth, England, and is a son of Major-General Wolfe, late of the Imperial Army, and assistant British Commissioner of Basutoland, South Africa. Colonel Wolfe received his education at the Manamead School, Plymouth, and was subsequently at the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, for a year, before being appointed to the Royal Marine Artillery. In 1882 he was transferred to the Royal Marine Light Infantry, and served in the Channel Reserve and Mediterranean Squadrons, retiring in 1897 with the rank of captain He arrived in New Zealand in 1898, and was appointed to his present position at Nelson in September, 1900. Having been engagted in military matters practically all his life, Colonel Wolfe is admirably suited for the responsible position he holds, and during the time he has been in command of the district he has endeared himself to all volunteers by the earnest painstaking and thoroughly military manner in which he has upheld the prestige of the various corps under his control.
Captain Sydney Vincent Trask, N.Z.M., Adjutant of the Nelson Military District, is a son of the Hon. F. Trask, M.L.C., of Nelson, and was born in Nelson, and received his education at Nelson College, where he was also a member of the Cadet Corps. Captain Trask was one of the New Zealand Contingent sent to represent New Zealand at opening of the Federal Parliament in Sydney.
Staff Sergeant-Major Henry Redmond, one of the Nelson Staff of Instruction, was for many years connected with the Wellington Volunteers, and held the rank of Colour-Sergeant in the Civil Service Rifles. After passing the necessary examinations he was appointed to his present position in 1903.
Sergeant-Major David William Healy , of the District Staff, Nelson, is a native of Dublin, where he was born in 1864, and educated in the Marlborough Street national school. He entered the 47th Regiment in 1878, and served at the Curragh, Dublin, Aldershot, Gibraltar, and in India. SergeantMajor Healy saw active service in the Duki Expedition in 1884, under Brigadier-General Sir O. V. Tanner. After seven years' service in India he came to New Zealand in 1891, when he landed at Wellington, where, in the following year, he joined the Permanent Artillery, in which he won the medal for “the best shot” two years in succession. In 1893 he was appointed drill instructor for the Nelson and Marlborough district. SergeantMajor Healy was married in March, 1896, to a daughter of Mr. A. Scott, of Hokitika.
H Battery, N.Z. Field Artillery Corps.
The H Battery Of The New Zealand Field Artillery Corps was organised in Nelson in 1873, and the services of the Battery were accepted by the Government on the 16th of April, of that year. Captain Albert Pitt (now Lieutenant-Colonel and Attorney-General) was the first Commander, and was followed by Captain E. Y. Walcott, Colonel, retired from the Bengal Staff Corps; Captain A. J. Leggatt, a veteran doctor of the Abyssinian campaign; Captain A. T. Maginnity; Captain Joseph Hyde, a Crimean veteran, and Sergeant-Major of the Royal Field Artillery, and later one of the Field Artillery Instructors of New Zealand; Captain Philip Topliss, V.D.: and Captain Edward Kimble Madigan, the present commanden, who has associated with him in command, Lieutenants A. A. Grace and A. O. Russell. The Bishop of Nelson is chaplain to the Battery, and its medical officer is surgeon-captain S. A. Gibbs. The Battery's armament comprises four six-pounder Nordenfeldt quick-firing guns, with harness complete. Drill is held every Thursday evening; and in November, the Battery always goes into a training camp for sixteen days, during which a thorough course of drill and gun training is carried out, all ranks being examined at the termination of the outing for efficiency badges, etc. The battery has qualified on two recent occasions as first class. At the Field Artilery Tournament, held in Christehurch, in December, 1901. H Battery was represented by eighteen members, who won many events; and in the grand aggregate of points secured third place in the championship.
Captain Edward Kimble Madigan was gazetted Commanding Officer of H Battery, New Zealand Field Artillery Volunteers, on the 6th of June, 1902. He first entered the service in February, 1884, when he joined H Battery as a trumpeter; and after passing through all the non-commissioned ranks was appointed lieutenant in March, 1901. Captain Madigan holds the New Zealand Long Service medal, and the Colonial and Auxiliary Long Service medal, and at the Easter manoeuvres held at Cable Bay, in 1904, he commanded the Red Division, a mixed force of volunteers known as the attacking party, who carried off the honours of the day, and were complimented by General Babington, on the clever tactics displayed by their commander and themselves in outflanking the defending force. Captain Madigan was born in Nelson in 1867, and is the son of Mr. P. L. Madigan, an old settler living page 50 in Takaka. He was educated at the Riwaka school, under Captain Ponsonby, and is now a member of the firm of Messrs E. Buxton and Co. Nelson. He is a member of the Royal Howard Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, Captain Madigan was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr. John Laing, an old resident of Nelson, and has one daughter.
Lieutenant Alfred A. Grace, of the H Battery, New Zealand Field Artillery, was elected to his present rank on joining the corps in March. 1901; a year later he passed his examination at the School of Instructions and ranked second highest in the district for number of marks. In 1901 he was in charge of the Battery detachment at the Military Sports, Wellington, where his team won the driving contest through pegs, and he commanded the Battery at the Easter manoeuvres of 1905. Lieutenant Grace is elsewhere referred to as a member of the Nelson City Council.
Captain Philip Topliss, V.D. was born at Westminster, England, and came out to Nelson in 1877, by the ship “Himalaya.” For some years before leaving England he served in the third Middlesex Artillery, Lord Truro's well known battery, in which he gained valuable experience. Captain Topliss first joined the Volunteer Force in July, 1878, as a gunner in H Battery, New Zealand Field Artillery, and after two years' service was elected sub-lieutenant, and subsequently appointed captain of the Battery. In 1881, owing to the illness of the first lieutenant, he was in command of the Battery in the Parihaka expedition. Captain Topliss was secretary to his company for over twenty-one years. On account of illhealth he was compelled to relinquish the command of the Battery in 1902, when he was presented with a valuable token of the corps esteem and good fellowship.
First Battalion Nelson Mounted Rifle Volunteers.
The First Battalion Of The Nelson Mounted Rifle Volunteers has its headquarters at Nelson, and comprises A Company, Marlborough Mounted Rifles; B Company, Wakatu Mounted Rifles; C Company, Takaka Mounted Rifles: and D. Company, Motueka Mounted Rifles. The staff officers are Major D'Arcy Chaytor, N.Z.M.; and Lieutenant John Alfred Stringer, Pay-and-Quartermaster. Each company parades in its own district, but at Easter the whole Battalion goes into camp for yearly instruction and drill.
Pay-And-Quartermaster Lieutenant John Alfred Stringer, of the 1st Battalion Nelson Mounted Rifles, first joined the volunteers in 1879 as a private in the City Cadets, in which he afterwards attained the rank of sergeant. He then transferred to the City Rifles, and after five years' service resigned from that company, but re-joined it three years later, and remained an active member until the corps was disbanded. In 1901, on the formation of the Wakatu Mounted Rifles, Lieutenant Stringer joined the corps as a sergeant; subsequently he passed his examination, and attained his present rank on the 2nd of December, 1903. Lieutenant Stringer was born in 1862, at Ballarat, Victoria, came to Nelson with his parents at an early age and after leaving school was apprenticed to the carpentering and building trade, under Mr. Andrew Brown, Nelson. For ten years he worked at his trade as a journeyman, and in 1895 started on his own account as a builder and contractor, in Bridge Street. Lieutenant Stringer is a most popular officer among the volunteers, and by his kindly manner and genial disposition has earned the good wishes of his fellow officers and volunteers, He is a member of the Royal Howard Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, Nelson. Lieutenant Stringer has been twice married; on the first occasion in 1887, to Miss Catherine Calder, who died in 1894, leaving two sons and one daughter; and again, in 1897, to Miss Ada Cooper, of Greymouth, by whom he has a family of two daughters and one son.
Wakatu Mounted Rifles.
The Wakatu Mounted Rifles have a strength of seventy-six, and are composed of three bodies of troops; one at Motupiko, one at Nelson, and one at Wakapuaka. Unmounted drill is held weekly, and mounted drill twice a month. The officers of the corps are: Captain Arthur F. Trask, and Lieutenants John L. Ching, Charles F. Faulkner and Alfred W. Clayden. Messrs Faulkner and Clayden are in command of the Motupiko and Wakapuaka troops, respectively.
Captain Arthur F. Trask was born in Nelson in 1872, and is the son of the Hon. F. Trask, M.L.C. He received his education at Nelson College, where he gained his first experience in volunteering as a private in the College Cadets. Subsequently, with the assistance of Sergeant-Major Weller and Sergeant Bird, Captain Trask formed the Wakatu Mounted Rifles, and after serving as lieutenant was appointed captain in 1961. In 1900 he went to Australia as a lieutenant in the Commonwealth Contingent, and shortly after his arrival at Sydney, was appointed lieutenantquartermaster. Captain Trask resides at Stoke, where he engages in hopgrowing and cattle-dealing. He is a member of Court Robin Hood, Ancient Order of Foresters, Nelson, and has passed through the chairs of his court. He is also a steward of the Jockey Club and Trotting Club, and honorary starter to the last named; and he was for many years Secretary of the Wakatu Rowing Club. Captain Trask was married, in 1895, to Miss Laing, of Nelson, and has one son and one daughter.
Capt, A. F. Trask.
Lieutenant John Louis Ching, of the Wakatu Mounted Rifles, first joined the volanteer service in 1891 as a private in the Stoke Rifles, and transferred to his present corps page 51 in 1902. He is not only a fine individual shot, but one of the best team shots in New Zealand. In 1895 he won a medal for the best shot in the Nelson district. In 1897 he took second honours for the best marksman in the South Island, and he has won many trophies and medals at the New Zealand Rifle Association's meetings at Oamaru and Trentham. Lieutenant Ching was born in 1876 at Stoke, and is the son of the late Mr. Richard Ching, who accompanied Captain Wakefield to Nelson. He is a Forester of many years' standing, has been through all the chairs of his Court, and is a Past District Chief Ranger. Lieutenant Ching was married, in 1899, to a daughter of Mr. Alfred Hammond, of Richmond, and has one daughter. (After this article had been written Lieutenant Ching was promoted to Captain and Adjutant of the Nelson Mounted Battalion.)
Lieutenant Alfred W. Clayden, Commanding the Wakapuaka troop of the Wakatu Mounted Rifles, was gazetted on the 4th of March, 1903. He is referred to in another article as manager of the sash and door factory carried on by the executors of the late Mr. John Scott.
First Battalion Nelson Infantry Volunteers.
The First Battalion Of The Nelson Infantry Volunteers comprises A Company, Stoke Rifles; B Company, Blenheim Rifles; C Company, Waimea Rifles; D Company, Nelson Rifles; E Company, Waitohi Rifles; and the Nelson College Volunteer Cycling Corps. The first officer in command was Major W. S. Littlejohn, who was succeeded by the present commander, Major George Alexander Harkness. Captain William H. Bryant is Adjutant to the Battalion. Drill is held monthly in Nelson.
Major George Alexander Harkness, Commanding the First Battalion Nelson Infantry Volunteers, joined the service in 1875 as a cadet of the 1st College Rifle Corps, and subsequently attained the rank of captain. In 1889, he was elected captain of the Stoke Rifles, and appointed Major in command of the Battalion in March, 1904. Major Harkness was born at Richmond. Nelson, in 1860, and received his education at Nelson College. After taking his M.A. degree he was for three years and a-half assistant master at the College, and was then headmaster at the Bridge Street school for eight years. In 1893 Major Harkness accepted the position of junior inspector of schools for the Nelson educational district, and a year later was appointed senior inspector.
Captain William Henderson Bryant was appointed Adjutant of the First Battalion Nelson Infantry Volunteers, in June, 1904, and is now (1905) senior captain and second in command of the Battalion. He joined the Waimea Rifles as a private in 1886, and after serving through all the ranks was appointed lieutenant in 1889, and captain in 1897. Captain Bryant was born at Brightwater, and received his education at Nelson College, after which he became first assistant of the Westport public school, and subsequently master of the Hope school. Since 1890 he has had charge of the Brightwater school. Captain Bryant was married, in 1898, to the eldest daughter of Mr. David Max, and has two sons.
Waimea Rifle Corps.
The Waimea Rifle Volunteer Corps was formed in 1862, with Major Franklyn as its first commander. Subsequently the corps was disbanded, but was re-formed in 1879, and is at present attached to the First Infantry Battalion. There are sixty-three members on the roll, are the officers are: Captain Edwin Arnokl, and Lieutenants A. Wilkins and A. T. White.
Captain Edwin Arnold, of the Waimea Rifle Volunteers, joined his present corps as a private in 1873, and was for years the champion shot of his company. Captain Arnold was born in Waimea West in 1855, and has always resided in the district.
Lieutenant Alfred Thomas White, of the Waimea Rifle Volunteers, first joined the service in 1895, as a gunner in the H Battery, Nelson. Subsequently he held a commission as lieutenant in the Takaka Mounted Rifles, which he resigned on being appointed schoolmaster at Spring Grove. Lieutenant White is elsewhere referred to as headmaster of the Spring Grove public school.
Lieut. A. T. White.
Nelson Rifle Corps.
The Nelson Rifle Corps (formerly the Naval Brigade) is one of the oldest Volunteer companies of the district, and dates back to 1875. In January of that year a few enthusiasts resolved to form a corps, ostensibly for the purpose of establishing a battery to protect Nelson at the entrance of the harbour. A preliminary meeting was held, and in March the corps was formed, with Mr. Ralph Richardson as captain, Messrs P. L. Gully and J. Infield, lieutenants, and Mr. E. H. Tribe, secretary. When the Marquis of Normanby, then Governor of New Zealand, paid his first official visit to Nelson, a crew of twelve members of the corps manned the boat which brought the Governor to the landing place. In 1876 the Government provided a boat for the corps, which was christened the “Aurora,” and also placed, on Haul-a-Shore Island, two 24-pounder iron guns for the use of the Brigade. The wreek of the “Queen Bee” at Farewell Spit on the 7th of August 1877, was the means of placing the Brigade prominently before the public, as the crew, with Lieutenants P. L. Gully and W. Simpson in charge, succeeded in picking up the shipwrecked passengers and bringing them to Nelson. Late in 1877 Captain Richardson resigned his command, and was succeeded by Lieutenant Gully; and on the death of that officer, in 1879, Mr. W. H. Drake was elected captain of the corps. Owing to a regrettable disagreement in the brigade, in 1881, the Government disbanded the corps, but in October of the same year it was roformed, with Captain Ralph Richardson in command. He was succeeded by Captain C. Y. Fell, who remained in charge for five years, and, on his resignation, Lieutenant William Simpson was appointed captain. In 1897, at the request of the Government, the brigade was changed into an infantry corps, and it was then decided to call the company the Nelson Coast Guards. The naval uniform, which had been worn for twenty-three years, was discarded, and khaki adopted in its place. Two years later Captain Simpson resigned his commission, after having had command of the corps for twelve years. Lieutenant R. W. Stiles was then elected commanding officer, and the corps changed its name page 52 to the Nelson Rifles. During its existence it has had six captains, two chaplains, four surgeons, twelve lieutenants, seventy-three non-commissioned officers, fifteen buglers; and the total number of all ranks passed through the roll of the corps has been 610. Twenty-eight, who had been members of the corps, served in the South African war, and, of these, five laid down their lives in the service of their country. On the 7th of September, 1904, the corps held a re-union of its past and present members. The present officers are; Captain R. W. Stiles and Lieutenants Arthur G. Stewart and James Hill.
Captain Robert William Stiles . Commanding D Company Nelson Rifle Volunteers, first joined the service as a seaman in the Nelson Naval Artillery, and passed through all the grades up to his present rank. He passed his examinations at the School of Instruction, conducted by Colonel Owen, and was gazetted a lieutenant on the 24th of November, 1895, and a captain on the 11th of April, 1900. Captain Stiles has served continuously since the 26th of January, 1886, and holds the sixteen years' long service medal. Throughout the various vicissitudes of the corps Captain Stiles has even been ready to give his time and attention to all military matters affecting the prestige of the company, and has done his utmost to foster and encourage the military spirit of his comrades. Captain Stiles was born in Middlesex, England, in 1866, and at an early age came out to New Zealand with his parents, in the ship “Strathnava,” which arrived in Nelson in 1875. Since 1883 he has been on the staff of the Nelson “Colonist.” He has taken an active part in social and athletic matters, and is vice-president of the Nelson Rugby Union, a member of the New Zealand Cricket Association, captain of the United Cricket Club, and a member of the Federal Hockey Club. He acted for five years as secretary of the Rugby Union, and, on retiring, was presented by that body with a testimonial in recognition of his past services. As a Forester, Captain Stiles is a member of Court Robin Hood, and as a Freemason, of Lodge Victory, No. 40 New Zealand Constitution. In 1904, he organised a re-union of the past and present members of the Nelson Rifles, and compiled a record of the corps, from its inception in 1875 up to 1901, which he had printed in pamphlet form and distributed as a souvenir to those who attended the gathering, Captain Stiles is married, and has three children.
Lieutenant Arthur Gledhill Stewart, of D Company. Nelson Rifle Volunteers, entered the service on the 10th of November, 1892, as a private in the original Nelson City Rifles. In that corps he passed through all the grades up to the rank of sergeant, and when the corps was disbanded he transferred into the Nelson Rifles as a private. After holding rank as corporal and sergeant, he passed his examination, and was gazetted lieutenant on the 5th of September, 1900. He is an enthusiast in all military matters, and gives most of his spare time to the study of volunteer tactics. Lieutenant Stewart was born in Nelson, in 1875, and is the son of Mr. William Robinson Stewart, an old colonist. He attended the Appleby school, and was subsequently engaged on his uncle's farm at Appleby. After some time spent in sheepfarming at Palmerston North, he returned to Nelson, where he became wharf tally clerk for the Anchor Shipping and Foundry Company. Lieutenant Stewart is a Past Grand Master of the Loyal Nelson Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, and was at one time a member of the local branch of the Independent Order of Good Templars, in which he held the office of District Chief Templar.
Lieut. A. G. Stewart.
Nelson College Volunteer Cycle Corps.
The Nelson College Volunteer Cycle Corps was accepted by the Government on the 24th of May, 1902. It is attached to the Ist Nelson Infantry Battalion. The first officers of the corps were Lieutenant Commanding William Westbrooke Squires, and Lieutenant James Houlker. The formation of a cycle corps had long been urged by the officers commanding the district and the various units, and this corps was formed and accepted mainly through the recommendations of LieutenantColonel Pitt and Majors Littlejohn and Major. The want of a cycle corps had been much felt during the manoeuvres' of 1902, when a movable camp was held in the Waimea Plains under the direction of Colonel Owen, the Commandant of the School of Instruction, who pointed out the advantage which the district would derive from the possession of such a corps. In 1964 Lieutenant Squires resigned, and Lieutenant F. Whitwell, then Pay-and-Quartermaster of the 1st Battalion, was appointed Lieutenant Commander. The membership of the corps is twenty-seven of all ranks. Drill is held every Wednesday evening, and the corps attends battalion inspection once a month. Each member provides his own bicycle, and and the special work of the corps consists in signalling and scouting.
Lieut.-Commanding F. Whitwell.
Second Battalion Nelson Infantry Volunteers.
The Second Battalion Nelson Infantry Volunteers was established on the 1st of October, 1901, and has its headquarters in Greymouth. The corps forming the Battalion are: A Company, 1st Westland Rifles (Hokitika); B Company, Greymouth Rifles; C Company, Denniston Rifles; D Company, Reefton Rifles, E Company, Brunner Rifles, (Brunnerton); F Company, Millerton Rifles. The Battalion officers are: Major Charles George F. Morice, and the medical officer, Surgeon-Captain Ebenezer Teichelmann.
Nelson College Rifle Corps.
The Nelson College Rifle Corps , which comprises three companies, is composed of boys attending the College, and together with the Nelson Rifle Cadets, forms the cadet Battalion of the City Volunteers. Commissioned and non-commissioned officers have to sit and pass examinations before being allowed to command or bear any rank. Drill is held after school hours twice a week. The officers commanding are: No. 1 Company—Captain C. H. Broad, and Lieutenants C. H. R. Watts, and V. Rout; No. 2 Company—Captain G. Everett and Lieutenants H. Harley, and P. Scantlebury; No. 3 Company—Captain M. K. McCulloch and Lieutenants G. S. Collyns and L. Jennings.
Captain C. H. Broad, Commanding No. 1 Company of the Nelson College Rifle Corps, is a son of the late Judge Broad, and was born in Nelson in 1872. He was educated at the Nelson College, graduated B.A. at Auckland University in 1893, and in 1901 was appointed third master of the Nelson College. Before occupying his present position, Mr. Broad was one of the masters of the Boys' High School in Dunedin, and as such is further referred to on page 160 of the Otago volume of this work.
Captain Malcolm K. Mcculloch . Commanding No. 3 Company of the Nelson College Rifle Corps, was born in 1880, in Dunedin where he was educated at the Boys' High School. He took his M.A. degree at the Otago University, and subsequently accepted the appointment as assistant master of the District High School, Hampden, Otago, where he was also captain of the school cadets. Captain McCulloch was appointed fourth master at Nelson College in December, 1903, and shortly afterwards identified himself with the College Rifle Corps. He is a valuable player in the Nelson Football Club, and has represented the province in several interprovincial matches. Captain MeCulloch is also a member of the Nelson Rowing Club, and is stroke in the Maiden Four-oar Team. At the Picton Regatta, held on New Year's Day, 1905, this team succeeded in winning the race of the day, and its members were heartily congratulated for their splendid performance by the members of the visiting clubs.
Nelson Rifle Cadet Corps.
The Nelson Rifle Cadet Corps was established in 1901, and is attached to the Cadet Battalion, which includes three companies of the College Cadets, Drill is held every Wednesday, the roll call of rank and file averaging forty-six. Since the Rifle Cadet Corps has been formed 118 boys have passed through the ranks, most of them having joined the Nelson Rifles and other adult corps. The first officer in command was Captain Andrews. He was succeeded by the present commander, Captain George F. C. Glover, who is assisted by Lieutenants T. Krahagen, and Edgar P. Worley.
Captain George Frederick Coulter Glover, of the Nelson Rifle Cadet Corps, first joined the volunteer service in 1899, as a private in the Nelson Rifles; and shortly afterwards, having passed the sergeant's examination, he was promoted to the rank of corporal. In April, 1903, he sat for a lieutenant's commission, at the School of Instruction, and in November of the same year was gazetted a captain. He was appointed to his present command in April, 1902. Captain Glover was born in Wellington, in 1874, and educated at the public school, Nelson. After travelling throughout New Zealand for seven years he came back to Nelson, and entered the firm of Tasker, Levien and Co., where he is still employed. Captain Glover is a member of the Maitai Lodge of Druids; and as a member of the Albion Football Club he has represented the province in interprovincial matches since 1899. He was married, in 1899, to a daughter of Mr. G. Flemming, of Nelson, and has one daughter.
Lieutenant Edgar Palliser Worley, of the Nelson Rifle Cadets, was born at Nelson in 1885, and is a son of Mr. William F. Worley, one of the masters of the Boys' Central School, Nelson. On the formation of the Rifle Cadets he joined as a corporal, and was gazetted lieutenant in 1902. Lieutenant Worley is a member of the Nelson Rowing Club.
Major-Quarter-Master William Coleman, of the Nelson Volunteers, has the Victoria decoration, and also the New Zealand long service medals. As a competitor he represented the Waikato in the colonial prize firing at Christchurch in 1872, at Nelson in 1873, Napier in 1874, Thames in 1875, and Brightwater at the first meeting held in 1879, and also in 1880, when he joined the Waimea Rifles. Major-QuartermasterColeman was born at Wollongong, Illawarra district, New South Wales, on the 17th of February, 1844. He was educated at the national school, Wollong- page 54 ong, and arrived in Auckland on the 27th of March, 1864, during which he joined the 4th Waikato Militia (No. 4 Company). Four years later he assisted to form the Thames Rifle Rangers, and resigned from that corps in order to assist Captain Newby to form the Hauraki Rifle Volunteers. He resided over two years at the Thames, and in September, 1871, returned to Waikato. On the 27th of December, 1871, he joined the Waikato Rifle Volunteers at Hamilton, under Captain Cumings, and served as privato for a short time, but subsequently became lieutenant, and held the office till the company was disbanded. He assisted afterwards, under Lieutenant Fred. Whitaker, to form a contingent of the Te Awamutu troops in Hamilton, in which Mr. Coleman served from 1875 till 1880, when heremoved to Nelson. He joined the Waimea Rifles on the 10th of May, 1880, when he was elected lieutenant, and he became quartermaster in 1889, Mr. Coleman was present, in 1881, at Parihaka, where he had charge of 500 prisoners one night. In shooting competitions he has won several prizes in different parts of the colony, and also at the colonial prize firing at Nelson. Major-Quartermaster Coleman has his private residence at Richmond.
Captain William Simpson, V.D., of the Retired List, first joined the volunteers in Nelson as a seaman in the Naval Brigade, on the formation of that corps in 1875. He passed through all the non-commissioned grades, and was subsequently appointed captain; a rank he held for seventeen years. In 1877, when the “Queen Bee” was wrecked at Farewell Spit, Captain Simpson, who at that time held the rank of lieutenant, was one of the Navals who volunteered their services to search for the shipwreeked crew and passengers. H.M.S. “Sappho,” and several Nelson and Wellington steamers were all on the same errand, but the Navals had the pleasure of picking up the passengers at Elmslie's Bay, French Pass, and bringing them on to Nelson. The Navals were publicly thanked by the Bishop of Nelson (the late Bishop Suter), and five guineas were subseribed and presented to them by Mr. Acton Adams. In recognition of the Navals' services, the Premier (Major Atkinson) forwarded a sum of £50. When the Brigade was transformed into a rifle corps (the present Nelson Rifles) Captain Simpson resigned the captaincy, but still takes a great interest in the company, and occasionally attends battation parades and annual encampments; and with his thorough knowledge of military tactics he is thus able to assist the officers in command. Captain Simpson's one hobby throughout his life has been volunteering, and he has done much to strengthen the movement in the military district of Nelson. Captain Simpson was born in Melbourne, Australia, in 1854, and when he was a lad he arrived in Nelson with his parents. After leaving school he served an apprenticeship to the printing trade in the “Examiner” office, after which he joined the staff of the “Evening Mail”; and he is still connected with that paper. He is an Oddfellow of many years' standing, and was for ten years a member of the Port Fire Brigade, in which he was a hydrant-man until the brigade was disbanded. While he was a seaman in the Naval Brigade, he did much to encourage the manly art of rowing, and was one of a crew that won many races in Wellington and Nelson, with a whaleboat, named the “Thistle.” Captain Simpson was married, in 1882, to a daughter of Mr. John Kitching, an old colonist of Nelson.
Capt. W. Simpson
The Nelson Garrison Band was formed in 1873, and was the first important band in Nelson. It was originally known as the Artillery Band, and Mr. Alfred Oakey was conductor. It was subsequently named the Garrison Band, and, as such, it continued playing with success till 1888, when it disbanded. Mr. Morrish then formed and conducted a band, but at the end of a year that also disbanded. The present Garrison Band was formed in 1890, with Mr. Fred House as conductor, who was succeeded in turn by Mr. Morrish, Herr Balling, Herr Handke, Mr. Charles Trussell, and the present conductor, Herr Julius Lemmer. The band first tried contest work under Herr Handke, and secured fourth place at the Wellington Exhibition.
Herr Julius Lemmer, Conductor of the Nelson Garrison Band, is elsewhere referred to as the Principal of the Nelson School of Music.