Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]



Garston is a farming district in close communication with the mining centres of Nevis and Nokomai. The flag railway station is seventy-six miles from Invercargill, and eleven miles from Kingston, and stands at an elevation of 1,004 feet above sea level. The warm soil of the valley enables the settlers to grow very good cereal crops. At the local hotel there is good accommodation for tourists and travellers, and the proprietor also conducts a general store. There is also a blacksmith's shop in the village. Garston also has a public school, and a post office and telephone bureau, with daily mails to Lumsden and Queenstown, weekly mails to Invercargill, and, on four days in each week, to Dunedin. The local churches represent the Anglican and Roman Catholic denominations, and Presbyterian services are held in the school room by the minister at Lumsden. The Mataura river runs through the settlement of Garston, and the population at the census of 1901, was eighty-five. Garston forms part of the Wakatipu electorate, and is in the Kingston riding of the Lake county.

The Garston Public School was established about 1882, and stands on five acres of land, on which there is also a five-roomed residence for the headmaster. The school building, which consists of one classroom, has accommodation for forty-five pupils, and the average attendance is about forty.

Mr. William Samuel Lea , Headmaster of the Garston Public School, is also Postmaster and Telephonist for the district. He was born at Ordley, Shropshire, England, in 1870, came to New Zealand with his parents in 1874, and was educated at Winton, and at the Dunedin Training College. He served his pupil-teachership at the Central School, Invercargill, gained an E1 certificate, and then obtained charge of the Quarry Hills school, where he remained about eighteen months. At the end of that time, Mr Lea left to take charge of the part-time schools at Eastern Bush and Feldwick, and was appointed to his present position in 1897. He takes an interest in cricket and football, page 1018 and was captain of the Garston cricket club during its existence. Mr Lea is a member of the Acorn Lodge of Druids, Invercargill, and of the Royal
Gerstenkorn, photo.Mr. W. S. Lea.

Gerstenkorn, photo.
Mr. W. S. Lea.

Arch Chapter of the Lake Lodge at Ophir. He was married, in 1904, to a daughter of Mr James Stewart, of Dunedin.

The Garston Hotel (Alexander McCaughan, proprietor) Garston. This hotel, which is within a stone's throw of the Garston railway siding, is a substantial wood, iron and stone building, containing nine rooms and a good sitting-room, exclusive of the rooms used by the proprietor's family. The hotel has been in existence for over twenty-five years, and the accommodation is good and the tariff moderate. Stables adjoin the hotel, and horses and traps can be hired at reasonable rates.

Mr. Alexander Mccaughan , the Proprietor, was born in 1860, at Ballycastle, County Antrim, Ireland, and was brought up on his father's farm. He came to New Zealand in 1883, and engaged in farm work, being employed for seven years on one farm. He then followed mining at Nenthorn, and later in the Wakatipu district, where he held a farm for a year. After a time spent in contracting, Mr McCaughan acquired the Garston Hotel in 1899, and is also proprietor of the local store. He is a member of the school committee, and also of the cemetery committee. Mr McCaughan was married, in 1896, to a daughter of Mr J. Shannassy, farmer, Limerick, Ireland, and has two sons.

Mr. And Mrs A. McCaughan.

Mr. And Mrs A. McCaughan.

Garston General Store Alexander McCaughan, proprietor), Garston. This store is within a short distance of the hotel, and a blacksmith's shop, which adjoins it, is let to Mr Theyer. Mr McCaughan has also two farms, of fifty acres and 150 acres, respectively, in the district, and has an interest in mining claims at Nokomai. He is further referred to as proprietor of the Garston Hotel.

Butson, Samuel , Farmer, “El-lenglaza,” Garston. This farm, which comprises 200 acres, was taken up by proprietor in 1876. It was then in its natural state, but it has since been brought under full cultivation, and is devoted to mixed farming. Mr Butson is further referred to as a member of the Lake County Council.

Cunningham, Robert , Farmer, Garston. Mr Cunningham, who holds a 200-acre farm a short distance from Garston, is also the proprietor of a threshing and chaffcutting plant. He was one of the first selectors in the district, and took a prominent part in having the land thrown open for selection. Mr Cunningham was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1846, arrived at Melbourne with his parents in 1851, and came to New Zealand in 1875. He spent over a year on a station, and then rented a farm in the Wakatipu district for a time, before taking up his present farm at Garston. Mr Cunningham has been for many years a member of the local school committee. He was married, in 1864, but his wife died several years ago, leaving two sons and one daughter.

Fairlight Estate (John Rogers, proprietor), near Garston. This property was originally the old homestead of the late Captain Howell. It now has an area of 640 acres, and wool from the estate generally brings top prices at the Invercargill wool sales.

Mr. John Rogers , J.P., the Proprietor, is a son of the late Mr Rogers, of Glenquoich estate, and was born in 1868 at Invercargill, and educated at the Boys' High School there. After leaving school, he spent some years on his father's station, and then entered the service of Mr A. Thomson, of Kakanui, when he was employed in connection with the purchase of stock. In 1897, Mr Rogers acquired the Fair-light estate, where he has since resided. He joined the Taringatura Lodge of Freemasons, at Lumsden, and is now affiliated to the
Gerstenkorn, photo.Mr. J. Rogers.

Gerstenkorn, photo.
Mr. J. Rogers.

Southern Cross Lodge, Invercargill. Mr Rogers was married, in 1894, to a daughter of Mr J. M. Price, farmer, Athol, and has one son and one daughter.
Wraytt, Josiah Alvey , Farmer, Garston. Mr Wryatt is the owner of Grasmere Farm of 360 acres, on which he resides at Garston, and another farm of 527 acres at Balfour. The latter is a sheep farm, but “Grasmere” is devoted to mixed farming. Mr Wraytt was born in Nottingham, England, in 1841, and came to Nelson with his parents, by the ship “Clifford,” page 1019 in the following year. He learned carpentering, and worked as a master builder for ten years, and was then employed in rafting timber down the Molyneux for some years. Mr Wraytt afterwards had considerable experience on the diggings at Dunstan, Cromwell, and at Mount Pisa, where he was connected with the cutting of a large water race. In 1877, he took up “Grasmere,” then in its natural state, but now fully cultivated; and he bought the farm at Balfour in 1900. Mr Wraytt served on the Garston school committee for a term, and was at one time a member of the Licensing Committee. He was married, in 1876, to a daughter of the late Mr George Munro, farmer, Warepa, and has one son and one daughter. Mrs Wraytt is elsewhere referred to as headmistress of the Mossburn school.