Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]



Waikiwi is on both sides of the main road to Makarewa, and is three miles from Invercargill, with which it is connected by the Invercargill and suburban tram line. The district is in the Awarua riding of the county of Southland, and is also in the electorate of Awarua. Its population at the census of 1901 was 152 in the township, and 431 in the neighbourhood. There is also a river district named Waikiwi, which was constituted in 1903 for the control of the Waikiwi stream and its watershed. Waikiwi has several stores, butchers' and bootmakers' shops, and formerly had an hotel, which was closed in 1903, in consequence of the local option poll in 1902. There are several brick and tile works, and also a tannery in the district, and the Invercargill abattoirs are alongside the railway line. The flag railway station at Waikiwi is on the Invercargill-Kingston line, and stands at an elevation of sixteen feet above sea level. Waikiwi page 907 is well known as a farming district devoted to agriculture, stock-raising and dairying, and there are some noteworthy market gardens and orchards in the district. The local public school had 100 names on its roll in 1904, and the average attendance for the previous year had been eighty-eight. There are Presbyterian and Roman Catholic churches in the district, and a public cemetery.

Gardiner, John Watson , Blacksmith, Coachbuilder and Agricultural Implement Maker, North Road, Waikiwi. Mr Gardiner's business was established in 1898. The premises include a smith's shop, with two forges, coachbuilding and paint shops; and six men are usually employed. Mr Gardiner was born, in 1875, in Scotland, and was brought to Port Chalmers as a child by his parents, by the ship “Wild Deer.” He served for four years in the Southland Mounted Rifles As a Forester, he is connected with Court Star of the Forest, Woodlands. Mr Gardiner was married, in 1902, to a daughter of Mr Robert Walker, of Woodlands, and has one son.

Myers, C. And Sons (Christian, Henry, John Peter, and Frederick Myers) Brickmakers, Waikiwi. Messrs Myers and Sons' business was established by the senior partner, Mr C. Myers, in 1863. The land consists of fifty-five acres of freehold, the whole of which is clay-bearing, and though it has been worked for many years, not more than three acres have been exhausted. The machinery consists of an eight horse-power steam engine and boiler with pugmill, and brickmaking machines. There is a large permanent Hoffman kiln, and the output is 70,000 bricks a week.

Mr. Christian Myers , Founder of the firm of C. Myers and sons, was born in Germany in 1828. He came out to Victoria about 1850, and was in the brickmaking trade there for twelve years. Mr Myers came to Southland under engagement to make the bricks required in the erection of the Invercargill gaol and hospital. He was married, in 1859, to Miss Taylor, of Victoria, but his wife died in June, 1901, leaving five sons and two daughters. Three of the sons are partners in the firm.

Myers, Peter , Brick Manufacturer, Waikiwi. This business was established, in 1874, by the present proprietor, who owns seventeen acres of land, containing excellent clay. The bricks are made by hand, and there is a large down-draught kiln, capable of treating 35,000 bricks. The annual output is from 300,000 to 500,000 bricks. Mr Myers was born in Han-over, Germany, and came to New Zealand, via Melbourne, in 1866. After learning the brickmaking trade with his uncle, at Waikiwi, he commenced business on his own account, and now finds a ready market for all the bricks he can turn out. Mr Myers has been connected with the Waikiwi Lodge of Druids since 1882. He was married, on the 2nd of August, 1877, to a daughter of the late Mr John Fotheringham, of Alloa, Scotland, and has one daughter.

Todd, Thomas And Sons (Thomas Todd, John Cumming Todd, Robert Wright Todd, and Thomas Todd, junior), Brick and Tile Manufacturers, Waikiwi. Messrs Thomas Todd and Sons' business was established in 1879, at One Tree Point, near Woodlands, and was removed to Waikiwi in 1891. The property consists of forty-five acres of land, and there is a large brick-drying shed, besides two kilns for tiles and pipes, and two brick kilns. Twelve men are employed at the works. The firm supplies the borough of Invercargill with drain pipes, and produces a very large number of pipes for agricultural purposes.

J. W. Fowler, photo.Pourakino River, Riverton.

J. W. Fowler, photo.
Pourakino River, Riverton.

page 908

Mr. Thomas Todd , the Founder of the firm, was born on the 28th of August, 1823, in Ayrshire, Scotland, where he was brought up to the tile-making business from the age of thirteen. He afterwards became manager of the Marquis of Bute's tileworks, and then worked for a time in Dumfries-shire. Later on, he emigrated to Canada, where he was employed on the railways for five years, and also worked for a time at the limestone quarries, near Victoria Bridge. Having returned to Scotland, he again worked at tile-making, until he left for New Zealand. Mr Todd arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Amelia Mitchell.” He was employed, by Mr J. H. Lambert, in Dunedin, for some years, and removed to Southland in 1878. Mr Todd was a member of the Oteramika Road Board for eleven years and of the One Tree Point school committee for ten years. He was married, in 1849, to a daughter of the late Mr Robert Wright, of Rothesay, and has seven sons, five daughters, and twenty-two grandchildren.

Mr. And Mrs T. Todd.

Mr. And Mrs T. Todd.

Horman, Andrew , Farmer, Waikiwi. Mr Horman was born in 1864 at Waikiwi, where he was educated and brought up to farming. In 1894 he took up 288 acres of freehold land, and in 1902 purchased “The Firs,” a freehold, of 124 acres, on which he erected a pretty homestead and suitable outbuildings, but afterwards sold the property. Mr Horman is still engaged in farming. Six years ago he owned the thoroughbred mare, “Lady of the Lake,” for which he received a second prize at the Invercargill show. He was married, in February, 1903, to a daughter of Mr Philip Uren, of Lawrence.

Mcneece, James , Farmer, “The Retreat,” Waikiwi. Mr McNeece's property consists of 117 acres of freehold land, which is all cleared, except ten acres of beautiful native bush. It is worked as a dairy farm and orchard, and there is a magnificent lot of well-grown fruit trees. Mr McNeece was born in 1855, in Belfast, Ireland, where he was brought up as a gardener. He landed at Lyttelton, in 1877, by the ship “Wiltshire,” and went to Temuka as gardener to Mr J. Hayhurst, and was afterwards employed in a similar capacity by Mr Postlethwaite, of Geraldine. Mr McNeece subsequently removed to Invercargill, and was employed as gardener by the late Mr Alexander McNab, for seven years. In 1893 he was appointed storeman for Messrs J. H Kirk and Co., and is still in their employment. Mr McNeece purchased “The Retreat” in 1899. He has served for four years as a member of the North Invercargill Borough Councill; and as a Forester, he is connected with Court Star of the South. He was married, in 1883, to Miss Finn, of County Clare, Ireland, and has three sons and one daughter.

Gerstenkorn, photo.Mr. J. McNeece.

Gerstenkorn, photo.
Mr. J. McNeece.

Price, Frederick Augustus , Farmer and Cattle Dealer, Waikiwi. Mr Price was born at Lachlead, Gloucestershire, England, in 1854, and arrived in Melbourne, with his parents, in the following year. The family came to Invercargill by the schooner “Pilot,” in 1863, and Mr Price saw a good deal of Southland—particularly of the Myross Bush and Otautau districts—with his father, who successfully worked at carpentering, farming, and hotelkeeping. Mr Price started sheep and cattle dealing at Waikiwi, in 1875, and for about five years was buying for Messrs Nelson Brothers, of the Ocean Beach Works. He now owns a fine farm of 800 acres in the New River and Makarewa district, and fifteen acres, containing his home, on the Waikiwi road. Mr Price was married, in 1870, to a daughter of Mr H. Norris, and has a family of six sons and six daughters.

Rankin, William , Farmer, “Inglewood,” Waikiwi. Mr Rankin owns from 200 to 300 acres, and has long been well known in Southland as a successful breeder of Ayrshire cattle. He has bred Ayrshire stock since the early sixties, been an importer of prize cattle, and exhibited stock at the first show held at Invercargill. Mr Rankin was born, in 1833, at Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, where he was brought up to farming. He arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Strathallan” in 1857, and settled in Southland in 1859, when he took a farm on the Bluff road. In 1863 he purchased his first land in the neighbourhood of Waikiwi. This land was almost entirely covered with bush, but has long since been brought into a high state of cultivation. Mr Rankin served for some time on the Waikiwi school committee, and has been a member of the committee of the Southland Agricultural and Pastoral Society for many years He was married, in 1861, to a daughter of the late Mr John Bain, and has, surviving, a family of four sons and two daughters.

Gerstenkorn, photo.Mr. And Mrs W. Rankin.

Gerstenkorn, photo.
Mr. And Mrs W. Rankin.

Ayreshire Cattle: Bred By Mr. W. Rankin, “Inglewood.”

Ayreshire Cattle: Bred By Mr. W. Rankin, “Inglewood.”

Mr. Carson Henry Horman , the pioneer settler of Waikiwi, was born in Germany, where he was brought up to farming. He arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Glentanner,” in 1857, but removed to Southland in 1858, and in the following year became the first settler in the Waikiwi district, where he took up 228 acres of heavy bush land. Mr Horman has been a member of the Waikiwi school committee. He was married, in 1858, to Miss Gohl, of Germany, but his wife died in 1895, leaving a family of ten sons and three daughters, of whom two daughters have died.

page 909

Mr. Alexander Swhan , who now resides at Waikiwi, was born in 1839, in Kircudbrightshire, Scotland, where he was brought up to farming. He arrived in Victoria, in 1856, and came to Oamaru in 1860 by the ship “Armin.” After residing for some years in Otago and Southland, Mr Swhan engaged in farming at Mataura, for about twelve months, when he bought a share in the Mokoia estate at Hawera, Taranaki. He subsequently, however, sold his interest in the estate, and returned to Southland, where he was for five years manager for Mr W. A. Tolmie's trustees, at Waipahi. He afterwards held the position of supervisor of the Southland properties of the Scottish and New Zealand Investment Company for eleven years, before settling at Waikiwi in 1898. Mr Swhan was married, in 1875, to a daughter of the late Mr Alexander Carmichael, of Argyle, Scotland, and has three sons and three daughters.

Gerstenkorn, photo.Mr. A. Swhan.

Gerstenkorn, photo.
Mr. A. Swhan.