Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]

Farmers, Settlers, Etc

Farmers, Settlers, Etc.

Adamson, William , Farmer; “Chatsworth,” East Road, Invercargill. Mr. Adamson was born at Dunfermline, Dumfries-shire, Scotland, in August, 1830, and early gamed experience in connection with horses in his native place. He arrived in Victoria in 1859, and four years later Crossed to Otago. For some time he found employment in driving waggons on the roads, and afterwards worked a team between Invercargill and Switzers, until the opening of the railway to Gore, when he settled on his present property at East Road. Most of the land was then covered with bush, but has now been cultivated, and dairying was largely carried on until 1901. Mr. Adamson has cut up a large portion of his estate for closer settlement, and has named it the township of Adamson. The 240 acres which he retained for himself are devoted to sheep farming. Mr. Adamson was married, in 1853, to a daughter of Mr. Henry Addie, of Dumfries-shire, Scotland. His wife died in 1900, leaving three sons and one daughter.

King, Obed , Farmer, Bay Road, Invercargill, Mr. King was born in 1840 at Branchley, Kent, England, and brought up to country life. He arrived at the Bluff in 1874, by the ship “William Davie,” and about two years later took up 108 acres of freehold at Bay Road, where he carries on dairying and mixed farming. The whole block was originally covered with bush, with the exception of a small portion of swamp, but now about fifty acres are under plough, and there is also some surface sown land. Mr. King was married, on the 21th of November, 1801, to a daughter of the late Mr. George Style, of Kent, England, and has one daughter.

Gerstenkorn, photo. Mr. And Mrs O. King.

Gerstenkorn, photo.
Mr. And Mrs O. King.

Phillips, Daniel Tighe , Settler, Invercargill. Mr. Phillips is a son of a captain in the Militia, and Was born at Newtown Park, Dear Dublin, Ireland, in 1845. He attended School at Longford, where he was brought tip to a country life. Mr Phillips came to Port Chalmers in 1865 by the ship “Parisian,” and transhipped to the Bluff in the s.s. “Claude Hamilton.” About ten years later he bought 109 acres of land on the East Road, Invercargill, cultivated his property and worked it as a dairy farm till 1903, when he sold it for £20 an acre, and settled in the town. Mr. Phillips was initiated as a Freemason under the English Constitution in Invercargill, and is attached to the Shamrock, Rose and Thistle Lodge of Oddfellows. He was married, in 1898, to a daughter of the late Thomas Brass, of Invercargill, and has two sons and one daughter.

Mr. And Mrs. D. T. Phillips.

Mr. And Mrs. D. T. Phillips.

Stobo, Thomas , Settler, North Road, Invercargill. Mr. Stobo was born in 1815, in Dumfries-shire, Scotland, and was educated in Kireud-brightshire, whither his parents had removed when he was five years old. He was brought up to a country life, and farmed on his own account in Scotland, for thirteen years, before coming to Port Chalmers by the s.s. “Kaikoura” in 1885. Mr. Stobo took up land at Edendale, where he resided for a year, and then became manager of the Wyndham Dairy Factory. Two years later he leased the Waimatuku Dairy Factory, which he ultimately purchased, and worked the property for sixteen years, until he sold out his interest in 1903. Mr. Stobo has been connected with the Waimatuku school committee for the last five years, and has acted as secretary, chairman and treasurer repectively. He was a member of the National Dairy Association for a number of years, and was a regular attendant at its annual conference. Mr. Stobo was married, in 1895, to a daughter of Mr. John Douglas, of Auchmeddan, Lesmahagow, Scotland, and sister of Dr. Douglas, of Frankton Hospital, Queenstown; and has three daughters.

Raeside, Charles , Flaxmill Contractor, Liddell Street, Invercargill. Mr. Raeside is a son of Mr. John Raeside, cattle dealer, Paisley, and was born at Partick, Glasgow Scotland, in 1874. He served two years at bookbinding, and was then employed at general work for a short period, before leaving for New Zealand in 1889. On his arrival in Invercargill he went to work with his uncle, Mr. Raeside, a well known confection er, and remained with him for about three years. After a year spent at farm work, Mr. Raeside started contracting in connection with flaxmill work—particularly scutching and pad-docking—which he has since followed in various parts of Southland.