The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Lawrence Brothers (George Taylor Lawrence), Manufacturers of the well-known Lion Brand of jams, Maple Grove Farm, Seaward Bush, Invercargill. “Maple Grove” comprises 300 acres, of which thirteen acres are devoted to fruit growing, practically all the fruit required being grown on the farm. The orchard is sheltered by native timber, and the fruit—of which there is a good assortment—grows very well. In the orchard there is a greenhouse 50 feet by 26 feet, and a vinery, 28 feet by 17 feet. The annual output now averages about twenty-five tons of jam, and has increased from about eighteen hundred-weight in the first year of manufacture. The actual work of the factory is done by Mr. Lawrence and members of his family, and outside assistance is called in for the fruit gathering. The buildings include: a jam-making room, 26 feet by 26 feet; a packing room, 28 feet by 16 feet; storerooms (two floors), 32 feet by 18 feet and 24 feet by 16 feet; another storeroom, 20 feet by 12 feet; and a timber drying shed, 28 feet by 20 feet. A vertical four-horse power engine is used for heating the jam pans, and also drives a saw to cut timber for making the boxes. The jam jars are imported.
Mr. George Taylor Lawrence was born in 1859, at Maple Grove Farm, where his father had settled in 1857. He started the jam-making industry in 1891, and the business has increased so rapidly that the produce from the orchard and factory is now well known throughout the South Island. Mr. Lawrence was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr. Samuel Evans, draper, Dunedin, and has two sons and one daughter. Mr. Lawrence's mother, who came to Port Chalmers from Melbourne, in 1855, still (1904) resides on the farm.
Mr. G. T. Lawrence.
Rosedale Twine Mills , (William Cruikshank, proprietor), Invercargill. This mill was established by the proprietor in 1902, and stands upon part of his property, of 460 acres of freehold. The building is of wood and iron, and a water-wheel is the first power used. There is a full twine spinning plant, and a large number of spindles are constantly at work. Mr. Cruikshank owns four flax mills—at Kennington, Watuatuka, Gap Road, and Tuturan. He draws his supplies page 857 from these mills, and finds a ready market for all the twine he can produce.
Mr. William Cruikshank , Proprietor of the Rosedale Twine Mills, was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, in 1829, and arrived at the Bluff in 1863, by the ship “New Great Britain.” He found employment at the first work that came to his hands, and after a time was able to buy a team of horses and a dray. For about ten years he was employed in contracting, and in the making of roads and other improvements at Invercargill, before purchasing a section of bush—the nucleus of the Rosedale estate—which he has steadily improved. Mr. Cruikshank commenced to supply firewood from his bush, and afterwards erected a sawmill, with which he cut out all the available timber. In 1902 he built a woollen mill on his own property. This mill, which consists of a single storey brick building, with top light, contains a very fine plant, including a thirty-five horse power steam engine, and all the necessary machinery, which was specially imported. Mr. Cruikshank was married, in 1850, to a daughter of Mr. Thomas Imlah, of Aberdeenshire, and has had six daughters and two sons, of whom one daughter has died.
Mr. W. Cruikshank.