Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]


page 574


Kurow is in the Otekaike riding of the Waitaki county, and in the electorate of Mount Ida. It is the market town of an extensive sheepfarming, dairying and agricultural district. The township nestles on the south bank of the Waitaki river, among the hills. The Anglicans, Presbyterians, and Roman Catholics have church properties in the settlement, and there is a flourishing public school. Kurow has two hotels, two stores, a number of shops, and a branch of the National Bank of New Zealand. Many of the buildings in the township are of Oamaru stone. The railway station and post office combined is forty-two miles from Oamaru, and 664 feet above sea level. A very fine bridge in two sections crosses the Waitaki river, and connects Kurow with Hakataramea, one mile distant. The rural district known as Kurow occupies an extensive plateau between the Kurow and Awakino creeks, and extends up to the hills. The local cemetery and racecourse are situated towards Awakino. Munro's coaches supply a weekly service to Lake Pukaki, via Omarama, and Benmore, and connect with the Mount Cook line of coaches from Fairlie. There is also a bi-weekly service to Omarama and Benmore. A creamery belonging to the North Otago Dairy Company occupies a central position in the township, and monthly stock sales are held. The Stock Department in represented by a resident inspector and rabbit agent, and there is a police station and a public library. A monthly sitting of the Magistrate's Court is held in the latter building. The attractions of the mountainous country beyond Kurow are well known to deerstalkers and sportsmen. Red deer abound in thousands in the back blocks throughout a district measuring about a hundred miles by sixty miles. Parties of huntsmen are conveyed by coach a distance of sixty miles to the deer walks, and most sportsmen are successful in securing the full complement of four fine heads, covered by the license fee of £3. Duck shooting is also plentiful on the Ahuriri river, which runs for about fifty miles, and also on Lake Ohau. Among the most noted of the neighbouring mountains are Mount St. Mary, 5570 feet; Mount Kaharau, 6594 feet; and Mount Domett, 6390 feet. The population of the district was 382 at the census of March, 1901.

The Kurow Railway Station And Post Office combined was established about the year 1878. The station is centrally situated in the township, and consists of a wood and iron building, with a public room, ladies' waiting rooms, and a large office for railway, postal, and telegraph business. There is also a lamp room, and four residences and cottages for the accommodation of the railway men. The office is connected by telephone with Oamaru, and mails are received and despatched daily. Business connected with money orders, the Post Office Savings Bank, and the registration of births, deaths and marriages is also conducted on the premises. There is a good passenger platform and large goods shed, and a train arrives and departs daily. Mr. John Richard Martin is stationmaster and postmaster.

The Kurow District Of The Stock Department extends from Duntroon to fifteen miles beyond Lake Ohau. It is under the charge of a local inspector and rabbit agent. Mr, William Wills, Stock Inspector ststioned at Kurow was born at Lincoln, in Canterbury, in 1869. Mr. Wills became rabbit agent at Geraldine in 1894, and was promoted to the position of inspector in 1900.

Stringer, George , J.P., Stock Agent, Kurow. Private residence at Weston, near Oamaru. Mr. Stringer was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1856, and is the son of the late Mr. Thomas Stringer. He was educated in his native place, and brought up to country life, but afterwards commenced to study for the Civil Service. Accompanied by his father, mother, and sister, Mr. Stringer left the Old Country for New Zealand in 1881 by the ship “Wellington,” but his father died on the voyage. On arriving at Port Chalmers he joined his brother, the late Mr. William Stringer, in farming at Duntroon, where he remained for about five yeas, before removing to Kurow in 1880. There he farmed 400 acres of leasehold, afterwards acquired 300 acres of freehold, and worked both properties till the end of 1902, when he sold out his farm and entered into the stock and grain business. Mr. Stringer has been an elder of the Presbyterian churches at Duntroon and Kurow, and treasurer at Kurow; and he has frequently been sent to represent his district at the meetings of the Synod. He has also been prominent in connection with the Kurow Sunday school, and was enrolled as a Justice of the Peace for the colony in 1890. Mr. Stringer was at one time chairman of the local Licensing Bench, on which he served for ten years, and was a member of the Kurow school committee for several years. He was for some time valuer for the Government, and for the Otekaike riding of the Waitaki county. Mr. Stringer was married, in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. Samuel Stedman, of County Wicklow, Ireland, and has three daughters and two sons.

Mahan and Muir, photo. Mr. and Mrs G. Stringer.

Mahan and Muir, photo.
Mr. and Mrs G. Stringer.

The Kurow Public School , which was opened in 1882, stands on a section of four acres of land at the corner of Bridge and Robinson Streets. The building is of wood and iron, and consists of two classrooms divided by a large porch. There is accommodation for 100 pupils, which is the number on the roll, and the average attendance for the year 1902 was eighty-five. A large playground and the teacher's residence adjoin the school. Mr. J. T. Kelly is headmaster, and Miss Ford infant mistress.

Mr. John Tweedie Kelly , Headmaster of the Kurow School, was born at page 575 Carluke. Lanarkshire, Scotland. His greatuncle was was the Rev. Dr. Tweedie, of St. Giles Church, Edinburgh, one of the Disruption band. Mr. Kelly arrived in Melbourne near the close of 1879, by the ship “Loch Tay,” and shortly afterwards came to New Zealand. In 1880 he was appointed to Otatara school, where for three years he studied and obtained an E certificate. On leaving there he attended the Normal Training College, Dunedin, for a year, taking a D certificate at the close, and subsequently attended one year at the University. Early in 1893 he was promoted to Division I for “increased efficiency,” In 1866 Mr. Kelly was appointed to Kurow and Wharekuri half-time schools, and, with an absence of two years, has been there ever since. Mr. Kelly married, in 1886, a daughter of Mr. G. P. Bell, for twenty-five years master of the North East Harbour school, and has two sons and one daughter.

The Waitaki Mission District Of The Anglican Church extends from the sea coast to a point in the mountains beyond Kurow, about sixty miles from that township, and includes the settlements of Kurow, Ngapara, Livingstone, Maerewhenua, Duntroon and Hakataramea Valley. There is a church at Duntroon and a vicarage and chapel attached at Kurow. A sunday school, attended by twenty children, is in charge of three teachers, and the vicar holds services periodically in various places throughout the district.

The Rev. Geoffrey Fynes-Clinton , Vicar of the Waitaki Mission District, was born in Nottinghamshire. England, and was educated at King's College, London. He came to New Zealand in 1873, studied in Christchurch, and was ordained deacon in 1877, and priest in 1899. Mr. Fynes-Clinton has been stationed at Kurow since 1896.

The Korow Presbyterian Church was erected about 1894. It is built of Oamaru stone, stands on part of a section of half an acre of land, and has seating accommodation for 200 adults. The manse also is of Oamaru stone; it was built in 1897, occupies a fine position on the Gully Road, and has a glebe of about nine acres. The Kurow parish was originally part of the Duntroon parish, from which it was divided in 1895. Services are held by the resident minister at Hakataramea. Wharekuri, and Hakataramea Valley.

The Rev. Thomas Neave , Minister in charge at Kurow, was born in Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1837. He was educated at the Dundee High School, studied at Edinburgh University, was ordained in 1864 in Perth, and four years later removed to the south of England, where he was stationed for seventeen years. In 1886 Mr. Neave came to Port Chalmers by the s.s. “Ionie,” and was for some time at Riverton. In 1896 he resigned his charge and became a candidate for a seat in the House of Representatives, in the Government interest, but he was not elected. He has been in charge of Kurow since May, 1899. Mr. Neave was married, in 1865, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Sime, of Dundee, and has three sons and five daughters.

Stetens, William Edward , M.R.C.S., England, L.R.C.P., London; Physician and Surgeon, Kurow. Dr. Stevens was born in Bristol, England, in 1861, and educated at the Bristol Medical School, and at the University College, Bristol. He received his medical and surgical training at the Bristol General Hospital, and was awarded the Clark scholarship for surgery at that institution. In 1884 he obtained his diplomas, and in 1889 he arrived in Wellington by the s.s. “Aorangi,” and settled at Kurow in August, 1891. Dr. Stevens was married, in March, 1894, to a daughter of the late Mr. F. W. Thiele, of Kurow, and has two daughters and two sons.

Anglican Vicarage and Chapel, Kurow.

Anglican Vicarage and Chapel, Kurow.

The Kurow Branch Of The National Bank Of New Zealand, Limited , was opened in 1893, in a small office in Mr. Thiele's store, and was afterwards conducted in the stone building adjoining the hotel. The handsome building now occupied was completed in 1903, and is situated in the main street. It is a one storey building of Oamaru stone, and contains a banking chamber, manager's room, and strong room, with residence attached. There is an eighth of an acre of land, and there are convenient stables behind the bank. An agency of the Kurow branch is conducted at Duntroon, where weekly visits are paid.

Mr. Herebrt Theodore Black , J.P., Manager of the Kurow Branch of the National Bank of New Zealand, was born at Dunedin, in 1860, and was educated at the Otago Boys' High School. He gained considerable experience of mercantile life in the old firm of Cargill, Gibbs and Co. with whom he continued six years, and in 1879 he joined the Bank of New South Wales at Dunedin. He became manager at Cromwell in 1884, and five years later left the Bank and visited Australia. Mr. Black returned to New Zealand after two years and had various experiences in mercantile life until joining the National Bank at Wellington in 1897. He was stationed at Christchurch for two years, before being appointed manager at Kurow, in July, 1899. Mr. Black was married, in April, 1901, to a daughter of the late Mr. H. L. Fawcett, architect, of Christchurch.

Prentice, Thomas , Carpenter and Farmer, Kurow. Mr. Prentice was born in 1856 at Motherwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland, where he was educated and served a four years' apprenticeship as a carpenter. He arrived at Port Chalmers, in 1875, by the barque “Waimea,” and settled at Papakaio. For about three years he worked in a coalmine,
Mahan, photo. Mr. and Mrs T. Prentice and Youngest Chill.

Mahan, photo.
Mr. and Mrs T. Prentice and Youngest Chill.

page 576 and after six months at his trade in Oamaru, removed, in 1879, to Kurow, where he has since been engaged in carpentry and farming. Mr. Prentice resides at Tahawa Village Settlement, where he holds nine acres of land under a lease in perpetuity, and he has a freehold of eighty-four acres at Kurow Creek, which he works as a dairy farm; the milk being delivered to the creamery, As a Forester, Mr Prentice is attached to Court Pride of Waitaki, in which he has passed the chairs. He was married, in 1879, to Nora, fourth daughter of the late Mr. William Tuohy, of Cloverfield, County Limerick, Ireland, and has four sons and four daughters.

Kurow Creamery (North Otago Dairy Company, Limited, proprletors), Kurow. This creamery, which was opened in the middle of November, 1992, is built of wood and iron, and stands on part of a section of an acre of land. The motive power is steam produced by a six horse-power boiler, which drives a four horse-power horizontal engine, and there is an Alpha de Laval separator capable of treating 250 gallons of milk per hour, with a cooler, and every necessary appliance for the work. During the first season there were twenty-one suppliers and about 400 gallons of milk were treated daily. The cream is sent every morning to Oamaru.

Mr. John Common , who has been Manager of the Kurow Creamery since its establishment, was born in 1880, at Enfield, where he was educated and brought up to country life. In 1901 he entered the service of the North Otago Dairy Company, and was for some time relieving before being appointed manager at Kurow. As an Oddfellow Mr. Common is attached to Lodge Alfred at Oamaru.

Mccullough, David , Tailor and Mercer, Kurow, This business was established about 1890, by Mr. W. Waddell, of Oamaru, and was taken over by the present proprietor in February, 1903. The premises consist of double-fronted and single shops of Oamaru stone, together with a workroom and residence. The building stands on part of a quarter acre section, and was erected about 1893. A good general stock of clothing, mercery, tweeds, and drapery is maintained.

Mr. David Mccullough , the Proprietor, was born in 1875, at Oamaru, where he was educated and learned his trade. He subsequently became manager for Mr. Waddell at Kurow, and held that position for four years before purchasing the business in 1903, Mr. McCullough has been a member of the Waitaki Mounted Rifles since 1901, He was married on the 25th of February, 1903, to a daughter of the late Mr. Walter Yardley, of Palmerston, Otago.

Kurow Hotel (Thomas Alexander Munro, proprietor), Main Street, Kurow, This hotel, which is well known to commercial men, was established in 1880, and came into the hands of the present proprietor in July, 1900, The premises now in use were erected in 1892, and consist of a handsome two-storey building of Oamaru stone. There are twenty-eight rooms, eighteen of which are bedrooms, and five sitting-rooms, The dining-room will seat thirty guests, and there is an excellent billiard room with one of Alcock's full-sized tables. There are large stables, containing nine loose boxes, and sixteen stalls at the back. The proprietor conducts an extensive livery stable business, and runs regular cóaches from Kurow to Omarama, Benmore and Pukaki, connecting with the Mount Cook coaches running from Fairlie. Tourists may book for this line with Messrs T. Cook and Sons at all railway stations, or with the proprietor. Adjoining the hotel, and managed with it, there is a large hall with sitting room for 450 persons.

Mr. T. A. Munro , the Proprietor, was born at Rugged Ridges, in 1867, and went to school at Otamatata. He commenced driving the mail coach for Mr. Goddard about 1885, and after ten years' experience purchased the livery stable business attached to the hotel, of which he is now proprietor. Mr. Munro has always been a total abstainer, and his brothers and sisters also are total abstainers, notwithstanding the fact that the family were brought up in a hotel and three of the brothers have been publicans. Mr. Munro has been a member of the Kurow school committee since 1893, and has served as secretary to the local Court of Foresters for five years. He was married, in 1893, to a daughter of the late Mr. F. W. Thiele, of Kurow, and has one daughter and three sons.

Mackie, Alexander , Boot and Shoemaker, Kurow. Mr. Mackie comes of the old Mackie family of the Mains of Fyvie, was born in 1831, in the parish of Fyvie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, and learned his trade with his elder brother. He was in business on his own account at Banff for five years, and for seventeen years at Mintlaw, before coming to Lyttelton by the ship “Piako” in January, 1880. He settled in Oamaru, where he worked at his trade for some time, and bought a section, and built a house, which he leased on leaving the town. His present business was established in October, 1890. and the shop and residence stands on leasehold ground in the main street of Kurow. Mr. Mackie has been a member of the Presbyterian church, first in Oamaru and since in Kurow. He was married, in 1860, to a daughter of the late Mr. William Watson, tailor, of Peterhead, but his wife died in 1870, leaving two sons and two daughters. In 1875 Mr. Mackie was married to a daughter of the late Mr. George Park, of Mintlaw Hill. This lady died in 1877, and in 1883 he was married to a sister of the late Mr. Henry Aitken, of Oamaru.

Mahan, photo. Mr. and Mrs A. Mackie.

Mahan, photo.
Mr. and Mrs A. Mackie.

Brooks, Charles Melville , General Storekeeper, Kurow. This business was established about 1883, and was acquired by Mr. Brooks in April, 1902. The building, which stands on half an acre of freehold land is of Oamaru stone, and consists of a double-fronted shop and verandah, with office and residence at the back. The premises also include a stable, bakehouse, shed and other buildings. A well-assorted general stock is maintained, and two carts deliver goods within a radius of thirty miles throughout the district.

Mr. C. M. Brooks , the Proprietor, was born at Castlemaine, Victoria, on the last day of 1860, and two years later was brought to New Zealand. He attended school at Glenore, and was brought up to mercantile life at Lawrence, where he was employed by the well known firm of Herbert and Co., for twenty-three years, before purchasing his present business at Kurow. Mr. Brooks served as a volunteer in the Tuapeka Rifles for about thirteen years, and later held rank as a lieutenant with a captain's certificate; since removing to Kurow he has been on the reserved unattached list. He is also a Past Chief Ranger in the Order of Foresters. Mr. Brooks was married, in 1885, to a daughter of the late Mr. George Liston, of Lawrence.

Chapman, Alexander Hamilton , J.P., Farmer, Awakino, Kurow. Mr. Chapman was born in 1852, near Falkirk, Scotland, where he was educated and brought up to country life. He came with his father's family to New Zealand in 1867 by the ship “Silistria,” which landed at Port Chalmers. As a lad of fifteen years he entered the service of the New Zealand and Australian Land Company, and experienced much of the rough pioneering work of the back country in the early days. He continued in the service of the Land Company for eighteen years, and became manager of its Kurow station, at that time one of its best paying properties. He then took up land in the Hakataramea Valley, and resided there for two years, afterwards removing to his present property at Awakino, near Kurow. By means of judicious management, and much hard work, Mr. Chapman now has a valuable mixed grazing and farming property of some 10,000 acres. Mr. Chapman's family consists of two sons, who assist him to work the property, Mr Chapman devotes much of his leisure time to scientific investigation, and in this way has been able to do yeoman service to all the farmers of New Zealand by his discovery of the dry-thawing process for frozen meat, which is so important a trade in this colony. Previous to Mr. Chapman's investigation of the subject, it was held that the moisture which appears so plentifully on the surface of thawing meat came out of the meat itself, page 577 and many remedies had been tried to overcome this defect, and the disfigurement of the meat, and consequent lowering of price which it causes. But all such remedies were failures, because they started from the wrong assumption; namely, that the sweating came from the meat itself. Mr. Chapman's experiments showed him that the so-culled “sweating” of the meat in thawing was really the aqueous vapour of the air being condensed into liquid water by contact with the cold surface of the meat, the meat at the same time absorbing the water till it became soft and flabby; and that, consequently, all that was required to overcome this long standing defect to the frozen meat trade was to place a water proof cover of any kind over or around the meat while thawing, the result being that meat so treated turns out clean and dry and bright looking, and is sold in the British markets as British grown meat. A disappointing result to his research, Mr, Chapman says, but one he is unable to control, the British meat traders doing this for the sake of extra profit. They are, however, enabled to pay the colonial farmer more for his fat stock as a result of this, and much of the increase in value of fat stock during the past three years is due to the meat being sold in England as home-grown and at homegrown prices. Mr. Chapman has tried unsuccessfully to get the meat trading people in Britain using his process, to sell the meat honestly as frozen meat, dry-thawed, but has found them a very conservative class who will go only their own way, Yet though the method of selling as home-grown is a fraud, the New Zealand farmer shares in the benefit by the increased price which he now gets for his meat; a price which could not be obtained were the meat all retailed as frozen meat in the British markets. Mr. Chapman visited London in 1901 fo; the purpose of introducing dry-thawing to the meat traders there, and the process is now widely used throughout the country, with the result stated; namely, that frozen meat is sold extensively in England as home-grown, but the New Zealand farmer gets better prices. As the matter is one of exceptional interest, an accurate description of Mr. Chapman's dry-thawing process will come in very properly in this connection. When Mr. Chapman himself was in London, in August, 1901, he lucidly described it to a reporter of the Financier and Bullionist newspaper, In doing this he said, inter alia: “Meat, being organic tissue, has the property of absorbing moisture—just like a sponge, though not to the same degree. When the cold surface of the meat that has been frozen is exposed to the atmosphere, it condenses and absorbs in the form of moisture the aqueous vapour which atmospheric air contains. The moisture so absorbed tends to spoil the appearance and quality of the meat; it is also injurious to such ‘keeping’ properties as the meat may possess. To prevent the absorption of injurious moisture in the de-frosting of meat has been á serious problem, upon the solving of which great ingenuity and much money have been expended. The principle upon which I have worked has been—not to overcome a natural law by costly and elaborate methods, but to accept the operation of the law, and transfer it from the surface of the meat to another surface. This is accomplished by the very simple expedient of enveloping the frozen carcases in air-tight waterproof coverings before the meat leaves the cold store. The result is that the aqueous vapour of the atmosphere is deposited in the form of moisture—not on the meat, but on the súrface of the waterproof coverings. The surface of the meat, which would otherwise be wet, remains dry, and the quality is so well conserved in consequence, that the mat thus treated commands a better price than meat which has been de-frosted by machinery.”

Mahan, photo. Mr. and Mrs A. H. Chapman.

Mahan, photo.
Mr. and Mrs A. H. Chapman.

Davidson, John , Farmer, Kurow Creek Farm, Kurow, Mr. Davidson was born in was in Dumfries-shire, Scotland, where he was educated and brought up as a shepherd. He came to Port Chalmers by the ship “Helenslea” at the age of twenty, and for fifteen years was a shepherd at Moeraki station. In 1878 he leased land at Otepopo, which he farmed till the beginning of 1894, when he sold his interest, and entered the service of Mr. Menlove, at Windsor Park, where he was employed in looking after stock for nearly ten years. In June, 1902, Mr. Davidson settled at Kurow Creek Firm, where he carries on sheepfarming. The property consists of 206 acres of freehold land, and he also owns seventy acres further up the Creek. Mr. Davidson served as a member of the Otepopo Road Board for some years. He was married, in 1861, to a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Little, of Ngapara, and has five daughters and one son.

Hille, George , Settler, Kurow. The subject of this notice is the fourth son of the late Mr. Christian Hille, after whom “Hilie's Siding” is named, and who was one of the earliest settlers in the district. Mr. George Hille owns 9,500 acres of land, capable at present of carrying one sheep to two acres; but by ploughing and surface sowing he expects to considerably improve its capacity in the near future. Though quite a young man, Mr. Hille has taken an active part in local politics; he contested the seat for the Otekaike riding of the Waitaki county at a recent election, and afterwards became secretary and treasurer of the Kurow school committee. In the North Otago Mounted Rifles he holds the rank of corporal, and takes an Interest in sporting matters as a member of the Kurow Jockey Club, vice-president of the Waitaki Collie Dog Club, and captain of the Waitaki Ramblers' Cycling Club.

Hille, William Gustave , Farmer, “Westmere,” Kurow. Mr. Hille was born in the Kurow district in 1871, and was brought up to an outdoor life by his father, the late Mr. Christian Hille. “Westmere” includes the original homestead, which was for a number of yeara conducted as a publichouse under the name of the Western Hotel, and the land is said to have been the first farm worked in the district. Mr. Hille managed the estate from his father's death in 1895. until October, 1902, when he became proprietor. The property consists of 1294 acres of freehold, and 614 acres of leasehold, held with right óf renewal. About 1400 sheep are depastured on the property, in addition to a small herd of cattle of the Shorthorn cross. Heavy and light horses are also raised, and a considerable amount of cropping is done annually. Mr. Hille served in the North Otago Mounted Rifles for two years, and as a Forester he is a member of Court Pride of Waitaki, in which he has passed the chairs.

Hille, Christian Adolphus , Farmer, “Hartz Hills,” Kurow. Mr. Hille is the third son of the late Mr. Christian Hille, one of the pioneer settlers of the district, and page 578 was born at Kurow in 1868. He was brought up to country life by his father, and in 1902 took up “Hartz Hills.” This holding consists of nearly 1000 acres, of which 680 are freehold, the balance being held under a lease in perpetuity. Mr. Hille runs from 500 to 1000 sheep on the property. He served in the North Otago Mounted Rifles for a short time and has been a member of the Kurow school committee. Mr. Hille was married, in 1837, to a daughter of Mr. James Durward, farmer. Waiareka Valley, near Oamaru.

Mahan and Muir, photo. Mr. and Mrs C. A. Hille.

Mahan and Muir, photo.
Mr. and Mrs C. A. Hille.

Munro, Walter Grant , Farmer, Kurow, Mr. Munro is the second son of the late Mr. W. G. Munro, after whom he is named. His father left Victoria for New Zealand on the day of his son's birth, and settled at Rugged Ridges, near Kurow. Mr. W. G. Munro was born in Victoria on the 21st of April, 1863, and was brought to Otago by his mother in 1865. He was trained to sheepfarming in the Kurow district, and commenced on his own account about 1887. For about five years he had the Omarama Hotel, but gave it up in 1902, and purchased his present property of 303 acres of freehold on the Gully Road. Mr. Munro engages chiefly in dairy farming, and supplies milk to the creamery. He served for about four years as a volunteer in the North Otago Mounted Rifles, and he was initiated as a Freemason at Fairlie in Lodge Mackenzie, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Munro was married in 1890, to a daughter of Mr. Silas Lousley, of Kurow, and has three sons and one daughter.

Murrey, John Robert , Sheepfarmer, Kurow. Mr. Murrey was born in County Kerry, Ireland, in 1852. He was educated at Dollar Institution, Clackmananshire, Scotland, and served a five years' apprenticeship in practical engineering. In 1875 he arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Auckland,” and for five years was a shepherd at Queenstown, Lake Wakatipu, and subsequently for fifteen years in the Kurow district. In 1893 Mr. Murrey commenced sheepfarming at Ben Lomond, where he had a grazing run of 2887 acres, on which he depastured 2200 sheep, but he sold his interest in March, 1903. Mr. Murrey was married, in 1889, and has three daughters.

Mahan and Muir, photo. Mr. and Mrs J. R. Murrey and Family.

Mahan and Muir, photo.
Mr. and Mrs J. R. Murrey and Family.

Palmer, John , Farmer, Kurow. Mr. Palmer was born in 1842, in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and was a shepherd in his native land before coming to Nelson by the ship “Golconda” in 1860, under engagement to the late Dr. Renwick, of Marlborough. He was afterwards employed by Dr. Munro at Bank House station, and for four years he worked under Messrs A. and J. Munro, at Langridge, Awatere, and for three years under Mr. Elliott at Upcut station. Mr. Palmer managed a farm and butchery for the late Dr. Horne in Blenheim for several years, and then removed to Hawke's Bay, where he was shepherd on several stations. He worked at Glenburn, on the East Coast of the Wellington district, for about a year, and for three years afterwards was employed by Mr. Rutherford, at Boland, near Masterton. On returning to the South Island Mr. Palmer was for seven years shepherd at Mount Thomas, North Canterbury, and was for a year afterwards at Methven looking after Mount View estate. He was at Rugged Ridges station, North Otago, for five years, and during that period acquired a freehold of 220 acres, together with a leasehold of a hundred acres, known as Spring Bank, on the Waitaki river. Mr. Palmer farmed this property for fourteen years, at the same time finding employment as a shepherd and in wool classing; since 1889 he has undertaken the wool classing of the Otamatata station. He now resides at River View, Gully Road, Kurow, where he leased forty acres of land in 1901. Mr. Palmer was married, in 1874, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Wilson, of Manchester, England, and has had two daughters, of whom one has died.

Mahan and Muir, photo. Mr. and Mrs J. Palmer.

Mahan and Muir, photo.
Mr. and Mrs J. Palmer.

Warwick, William , Farmer, Kurow, Mr. Warwick was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1856, and was trained as a farmer by his father. He came to Port Chalmers by the ship “Taranaki,” in 1872, and settled in the Oamaru district, where he found employment for a number of years. He was at first engaged in road contracting and harvesting work, and since 1893 has had charge of the Otekaike to Otamatata main road, under the Waitaki County Council. Mr. Warwick has been a member of the Kurow school committee since 1897, and on the committee of the Presbyterian church since 1894. His homestead is situated on ten acres of land, held under a lease in perpetuity at Tahawa, and he also owns 150 acres of freehold at Otiake, which he purchased in 1901, Mr. Warwick was married, in 1884, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Martin, of County Antrim, Ireland, and has had a family of seven sons and two daughters, of whom two sons have died.

Sutherland, Walter , Farmer, Kurow. Mr. Sutherland was born in 1848, in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, where he was educated and passed his early years following pastoral pursuits. He came out to the Colony in 1878, and for seven years was shepherding on the Omarama station, the property of the Dalgety Company, Mr. Sutherland was for about three years droving and dealing at Oamaru. He then removed to Omarama, where he engaged in business as storekeeper and postmaster for about four years. Subsequently he took up page 579 a small grazing run of about 2000 acres on the Kurow Hills, originally part of the Kurow run. At first he stocked his place with merino sheep, but as that breed ceased to be profitable he is now crossing with Leicester rams and replacing them with half-breds. Mr. Sutherland was married, in 1883, to Miss McDonald, of Caithness, Scotland.

Mr. Christian Hille , who was prominent as a pioneer of settlement in the Kurow district, was born at Hanover, Germany, in 1823. He was brought up to country life, and was engaged as a shepherd till coming out to Sydney in the year 1854. Shortly afterwards Mr. Hille removed to Otago, settled in the Oamaru district, and became one of the earliest settlers in Kurow, after being employed for some years as a shepherd at Otekaike station. Mr. Hille was proprietor of the first hotel in the Kurow district, known as the Western Hotel, which he managed for seven years. He owned and conducted the first ferry boat over the Upper Waitaki, and worked it for four years, when he sold it and returned to the Western Hotel, which he afterwards conducted till 1880. Soon after his arrival in the district he commenced to buy land, to which he kept adding, till, at one time, he worked a very large area. Mr. Hille took a keen interest in the welfare of his district. He was married, in 1860, to a daughter of the late Mr. Fredrick Schluter, of Boundary Creek, near Oamaru, and at his death, in 1895, left five sons and five daughters. One daughter has since died.

The late Mr. C. Hille.

The late Mr. C. Hille.

Milne, W. , Farmer, “Hillside,” Hakataramea. Mr. W. Milne was born in Morayshire, Scotland, in 1852, and came to New Zealand in 1868. He purchased his present farm of 337 acres in 1885, and has cultivated it with the best results, as he has obtained as much as fifty bushels of wheat and seventy bushels of oats per acre. Mr. Milne believes in mixed farming, and in breeding from halfbred ewes and Border Leicester rams, to fatten lambs for the export trade. He has served on the church committee, also as one of the trustees of the Hakataramea public school, and has been on the school committee for many years. Mr. Milne was married, in 1886, to Miss Buick, and has one son and three daughters.

Mr. W. Milne.

Mr. W. Milne.