The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Brownlee And Son (George Brownlee, J.P., and William Brownlee), Seedsmen, Thames Street, Oamaru. Telephone, 85. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Private residence, Glencairn, North Road. This business was established in the early sixties by the late Mr. John Falconer, who died in 1888, and for whom Mr. Brownlee was manager for many years, and when Mr. Falconer died Mr. Brownlee, senior, bought the business. Glencairn is six acres in extent, and the land is laid down in flower-borders, ornamental grounds, and experimental gardens. Messrs Brownlee and Son, who are direct importers of agricultural seeds, flowers, and vegetables, cultivate a large country trade and have customers in all parts of Otago and Canterbury, where they have gained a reputation as dealers in first class germinating seeds.
Mr. George Brownlee Is referred to elsewhere as secretary of the Loyal Oamarn Lodge, Independent Order of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, and as a member of the Oamaru Harbour Board.
Edwards, David . Nurseryman and Florist, Eden and Coquet Stieets, Oamaru. Mr. Edwards' nursery consists of half an acre, which extends from street to street, and was founded by the late Mr. John Falconer, in 1872. The proprietor was born in 1851 in Perthshire, Scotland, and gained his experience in nursery work about eight miles from Perth. He became foreman gardener to Lord Dalhousie at Brechin Castle, but after being eighteen months in that position he decided to emigrate to the colonies. He came to Port Chalmers in the first trip of the ship “Invercargill.” which arrived in 1874. For some time he was gardener at the Dunedin Hospital, and for a year subsequently at the Seacliff Asylum. He was afterwards employed at the nursery of Mr. George Matthews, and later was successively in the employment of the Hon. James Paterson and the Hon. George McLean. In January, 1878, he settled in Oamaru, and found employment under his predecessor, with whom he served nine years, and had the management of the nursery for a year before purchasing on his own account, in 1888. Mr. Edwards served for six years as a member of the Oamaru Borough Council, and was for several years a member of the Middle School committee. He has been connected with the Oamaru Horticultural Scciety for many years, and was for sometime on the committee of management. Mr. Edwards was married, in January, 1879, to a daughter of the late Mr. Robert Pratt, of Cavan, Ireland, and has one son and two daughters.
Ferris, James , Nurseryman, Fruit Grower and Cider Manufacturer, New-borough, Oamaru. Mr. Ferris was born in 1841 in Monmouthshire, England, where he was educated and brought up to farming. In 1864 he came to Lyttelton, by the ship “Blue Jacket,” and after remaining a short time in Canterbury, he settled in Oamaru in 1866, and has since carried on business there as a nurseryman. Mr. Ferris has thirty-seven acres of land at New-borough, and seventeen acres have been carefully laid down in a nursery and an orchard, which are kept in first class order. In 1898 he visited the Old Country in search of health, and returned in November, very much benefited by the change. He was married, in 1871, to a daughter of the late Mr. Walter Allan, of Scotland, and has three sons and three daughters.
Mr. J. Ferris.