The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Fulton, James , Farmer, Totaratahi. Mr. Fulton was born at Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland, in 1847. He went to school at Sauchie, near Alloa, and was brought up to country life. In 1868 he arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Robert Henderson,” and found employment with Mr. Hassall, at Cave Valley. Two years later, he became head ploughman at Dr. Webster's Balruddery station. After two years on this estate, he commenced farming on his own account at Pudden Hill, now known as Waihaorunga, South Canterbury. Mr. Fulton then removed to the Makataramoa station, where he was contracting for fourteen years. He afterwards bought 155 acres of the Taipo estate, named his place “Springfield,” and has resided there since 1902. Mr. Fulton was married, in 1875, to a daughter of the late Mr. Robert Brown, of the “Punch Bowl,” Waimatu, and has four daughters and one son.