The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Hampden is a pleasantly situated borough on the main line of railway, twenty-one miles south of Oamaru, and fifty-seven miles north from Dunedin, and is in the county of Waikouaiti. The district was at one time thickly covered with native bush, but the timber proved to be so valuable for building and fencing that very little of the bush now remains. There is a population of between three and four hundred in the borough which has a post, telegraph and money-order office; a District High School; four churches—Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Anglican and Church of Christ; an Athenaeum; a good hotel and several boardinghouses; and also a branch bank. A courthouse and borough council chambers are among the more recent buildings. Hampden, as a progressive borough, has done much to beautify the district, and bathing sheds have been erected on the beach for the free use of residents and visitors. There are good roads for cycling, and the pleasant little port of Moeraki, four miles distant, may be reached by road or the sea beach. Hampden is built on rising ground, and commands a good view of the neighbouring country and of the sea.
The Borough Of Hampden has an area of 640 acres, a capital rateable value of £18,000, and a population of 310. A general rate of 3/4d in the £ is levied. The receipts from all sources for the year 1903 amounted to £351 12s 7d, and the expenditure to £353 15s 5d. There is a common reserve of 150 acres, and twelve small municipal reserves. Mr. William Nicholson is Mayor, and the councillors are Messrs W. Murcott, D. E. Lefevre, D. C. Dunbar, D. Booth, D. E. Booth, G. Gould, G. McCrmack, H. Hutchings, and T. Gdanitz. Mr. Archibald A. McWilliam is Town Clerk.
Mr. William Nicolson , Mayor of Hampden, also represent the Moeraki riding on the Waitaki County Council, and is a well known farmer at Woodside, near Hampden, where he owns 1400 acres of freehold land, on which he runs about 2000 sheep and 100 head of cattle. Mr. Nicolson also crops about 250 acres of his land. He was born in the Shetland Islands, in 1845, educated at Lerwick, and came to New Zealand in 1865, by the ship “Parai.” After living a short time in the Taieri district Mr. Nicolson went to North Otago and South Canterbury, and for a few years was employed contracting for various works. He settled in the Hampden district in 1882, was elected to the county council in 1896, has been a member of school committees for about thirty years, and for a number of years chairman of the Hampden school committee; has been for seven years a director of the Taieri and Peninsula Dairy Company, a member of the Otago Education Board, and Mayor of Hampden on several occasions. Mr. Nicolson was married in 1862 to a daughter of Mr. Charles McDonald, of Caithness-shire, Scotland, and has four sons and four daughters.
Mr. W. Nicolson.
Councillor David E. Lefevre , who has been a member of the Hampden Borough Council for many years, also serves on the Athenæum and school committees, and is a lieutenant in the local volunteer corps. Mr. Lefevre carries on business as a butcher at Hampden.
Councillor David Campbell Dunbar , who has served on the Hampden Borough Council for many years, is a member of the Reserves Committee. He is also a member of the local school committee. Mr. Dunbar carries on business as a storekeeper at Hampden.
Councillor David Booth , who was elected to the Hampden Borough Council in April, 1903, is further referred to as a general merchant, at Hampden.
Councillor David E. Booth , who was elected to the Hampden Borough Council in April, 1903, is a member of the reserves committee. He is also a member of the Hampden Brass Band, and serves on the committee of the local football club. Mr. Booth is the second son of Mr. D. Booth, of Hampden, and was born at Maheno. He completed his education at the Otago Boys' High School, Dunedin, and soon afterwards went to New South Wales, where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits for three years. Since his return to New Zealand Mr. Booth has been associated with his father in their successful business at Hampden.
Councillor D. E. Booth.
Councillor George Gould has been a Member of the Hampden Borough Council since 1896. He was born in the parish of Glass, Banffshire, Scotland, in 1860, and accustomed to a country life on his father's farm from infancy. When only eighteen years of age he came to Port Chalmers, by the ship “Wellington.” In June, 1882, after being three years in the Oamaru district, he entered the service of the New Zealand and Australian Land Company at Moeraki station as head ploughman, and in 1888 was promoted to the position of working overseer. He is a member of the local school committee. Mr. Gould was married in 1899 to a daughter of Mr. J. Stewart, of Kirwee, Canterbury.
Councillor G. Gould.
Councillor George Mccormack , who has been a member of the Hampden Borough Council for several years, is a coal merchant in the borough.
Councillor Henry Hutchings , who has served on the Hampden Borough Council since 1901, is a member of the Reserves Committee. He is engaged in farming at Hampden.
Councillor Thomas Gdanitz , who was elected a member of the Hampden Borough Council in 1901, is a member of the Works Committee. He was born in Germany, and arrived in Wellington in 1874 by the ship “Reitchatag,” from Hamburg. Mr. Gdanitz is engaged in farming at Hampden.
Mr. Archibald Alexander Mcwilliam , Town Clerk and Returning Officer of Hampden, was born at Moeraki, in 1862. He was educated in the Hampden district, and brought up to agricultural pursuits. Mr. McWilliam is the owner of a freehold farm of 150 acres. He has held the office of town clerk since 1889, and has long been connected with local institutions, such as the Cemetery Trust and Mechanics' Institute and the local school committee. His volunteer experience dates back to 1879, when he became a member of the Hampden Rifles, in which he served until the disbandment of that corps, and was successively lieutenant and captain. He still holds the latter rank. Mr. McWilliam was married, in 1884, to a daughter of Mr. P. Carmichael, of Hampden, and has five sons and three daughters.
Mr. James Doreen was born in the Hutt Valley, Wellington, on the 20th of May, 1848, and became a landed proprietor in 1880. Since that time he has conducted a dairy farm on his property. He became connected with the local borough council in 1879. On one occasion he was Mayor for three, years in succession, and was re-elected to the office for the year 1899. He has also served on the Hampden school committee, and takes a leading part in connection with the local Church of Christ. Mr. Doreen was married, in 1874, to a daughter of Mr. T. McCormick, of Hampden, and has six sons and four daughters.
Mr. J. Doreen.
Mr. John Bandeen , who served as a Councillor of the Borough of Hampden for four years, was, born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, in 1842, and brought up to farm work. He came to Otago, in the ship “Aboukir,” at the age of twenty, worked at farm work for about seven years, and was a prize-taker with the swing-plough in the Taieri and Oamaru districts. For about six years he was engaged in constructing a water-race on the Maere-whenua goldfield, and was platelaying for contractors on the railway between Waitaki and Port Moeraki for about two years. He page 458 entered the railway service as line ganger for the Government on the 19th of February, 1877, and was stationed at Hampden until 1899. Then for a year he was doing special work as ganger for the Railway Department at Inch Valley, Oamaru, and Otago Central. In 1900 he was appointed relaying ganger for the Dunedin section, and relaid portions of the Lawrence branch, Ngapara branch and the Port Chalmers line. Mr. Bandeen was thus engaged until the end of June, 1903, when he retired under the Superannuation Act.
Mr. J. Bandeen.
Mr. John Douglass was one of the first members of the Hampden Borough Council, of which he has been almost continuously a member, and he has also been mayor of the borough. He was born in Kerry, Ireland, in 1853, of Scottish parents, who arrived in Port Chalmers, by the ship “Strathfieldsaye,” in 1858. The family settled on the Peninsula, but removed to the Moeraki district in 1869. Mr. Douglass was brought up to business and established himself us a blacksmith and wheelwright at Hampden, in 1874. Besides serving on the Council he has boon a member of the local school committee. Mr. Douglass was married, in 1877, to a daughter of Mr. W. Blackwood, storekeeper, of Caversham, and has five sons and three daughters.
Mr. Archibald Gillies , who served as a Councillor of the Borough of Hampden for one term, resides on Townhead Farm, which is 113 acres in extent, including a reserve of twenty acres. The farm is said to be the first original homestead taken up in Hampden by Messrs Wright and Miller, and the first wooden house erected in the borough is still standing on the property, on which also the first accommodation house was built. Besides this farm Mr. Gillies owns 200 acres, known as Bellgrove. Mr. Gillies was born in 1842 at Lochgilphead, Argyleshire, and trained to country pursuits. He came to Port Chalmers in 1869, by the “E.P. Bouverie,” and settled in Hampden, where he purchased Townhead Farm in 1875. Mr. Gillies has for about a quarter of a century been a member of the Hampden school committee. He served on the Hampden Road Board, has taken a prominent part in connection with the local Athenæum, and still serves on the committee, and is one of the cemetery trustees. He has served over twenty years in the Hampden Rifles, most of the time as colour-sergeant. Mr. Gillies was married on the 26th of November, 1874, to a daughter of the late Mr. S. Cague, of County Down, Ireland, and has three sons and two daughters.
Mr. A. Gillies.
The Hampden Railway Station , which is a wooden building of the usual design, contains a stationmaster's room, a ticket office, and a post and telegraph office. There is a ladies' waiting room, a public lobby, and a large asphalt platform, with a substantial stone kerbing. On the station property a large goods-shed is in use, and there is a yard for loading live stock. Mr. E. H. Lewton in stationmaster and postmaster.
The Hampden District High School stands on a section of an acre and a half, and fronts two streets. The building, which is of wood, contains four rooms, with accommodation for 200 children. A large playground surrounds the school, and a covered shed is available in wet weather. The schoolhouse, of eight rooms, stands on a corner of the property, and there is also a glebe of twelve acres and a half belonging to the school. Formerly a primary school, it was formed into a High School in 1902. The number of names on the roll is 150, and there is an average attendance of 130. Already four pupils, who have passed the civil service examinations, have obtained appointments in the service. Special features of the school are cottage gardening, a cadet corps, a gymnasium for the boys, and cooking classes for the girls. Separate gymnasium and cooking rooms are about to be erected.
Mr. Thomas Alfred Patterson , M.A., was appointed headmaster of the Hampden District High School in 1902, when the school was formed into a district high school. He was born at Milton, Otago, served as a pupil teacher at Ravensbourne, and graduated M.A. at the Otago University in 1892. Mr. Patterson was master of the Waipahi and Kurow schools, and first assistant master at the Milton District High School, before receiving his present appointment in 1003. During his residence st Milton he was secretary of the local lodge of Oddfellows. Mr. Patterson married a daughter of Mr. Hallberg, of Waipahi.
Mr. J. Watt.
The Hampden Presbyterian Church , which occupies a section of a quarter of an acre in the main street, is a stone building with seating accommodation for nearly 200 worshippers. The average attendance is about 130. There is a Sunday school connected with the church, and services are conducted by the resident minister at Waianakarua, Moeraki, and Kartigi, at all of which places there are also Sunday schools. The manse, which is a seven-roomed house, occupies a site within the borough on five acres of land, from which a magnificent view can be obtained.
The Rev. William Nichol , the Minister in charge of the Hampden district, was born in Roxburghshire, Scotland, and educated at parish schools. Mr. Nichol studied for the church at Edinburgh, and came to Port Chalmers in the month of May, 1874, by the ship “James Nicol Fleming.” He was engaged in mission work for four years in the South Island, and afterwards removed to Hawke's Bay, where he was stationed at Wairoa for three years. Before settling in Hampden in 1889 he officiated for over six years at Havelock, Hawke's Bay, where his district included Hastings and Clive.
The Hampden Athenaeum , which was founded about 1870, has its domicile in a wooden building, which consists of a hall and public room, and is erected on a site of three-quarters of an acre in the centre of the borough. There are about 700 volumes in the library and local and illustrated papers are supplied to the reading room.
Douglass, John , General Blacksmith and Wheelwright, Hampden. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established in 1874. Mr. Douglass's premises, which comprise a large shop and convenient dwelling, are centrally situated on a freehold section of an acre in extent. Mr. Douglass is referred to elsewhere in connection with the Hampden Borough Council, and with his business at Herbert.
Hampden Creamery , the property of the Taieri and Peninsula Milk Supply Company, Ltd., occupies a site on the main road at Hampden. The building is of wood and was erected in 1890 by the New Zealand Dairy Supply Company, the present company having purchased it in 1896. The creamery is equipped with two De Laval separators, and the plant is worked by a five horse-power Tangye engine. About ninety farmers supply milk, and about 1000 gallons are put through daily.
Mr. Robert Wilson , Manager of the Hampden Creamery, was born in the town of Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1873. In 1874, he came with his parents to Port Chalmers, by the ship “Jessie Readman.” and was brought up to farming. Mr. Wilson joined the service of the company at Portobello, and was promoted to the position of manager in 1897. On the 26th of February, 1900, he married the third daughter of the late Mr. Alexander Thomson, of Hampden.
Mr. and Mrs R. Wilson.
Clyde Hotel (John Richard McKenzie McBride, proprietor), Hampden. This hostelry which was established about 1868, is a two storey wooden building containing twelve rooms, of which seven are bedrooms. Besides a comfortable dining-room, where twenty guests can be seated, there are two cosy sitting-rooms, and there is convenient stabling behind the hotel.
Mrs. Mary Johnston , formerly proprietress of the Clyde Hotel, Hampden, was born near Paisley, Scotland, and landed at Port Chalmers in January, 1863, from the ship “Aboukir,” with her father, Mr. J. Houston, of Palmerston South. Before acquiring the Clyde Hotel, in July, 1898, Mrs. Johnston had experience in connection with the trade in Outram and at Lee Stream. Mrs. Johnston was married in 1872 and has one son and one daughter.
Mrs. M. Johnston.
Mr. D. Booth.
Campbell, Archibald , Farmer, Hampden. Mr. Campbell, who is a son of the late Mr. Charles Campbell, was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1850, and accompanied his father to the Colony nine years later. Mr. Campbell was educated in the North Taieri and Hampden districts, and brought up to agricultural pursuits. He managed his father's property for a number of years prior to 1897, and has since then farmed the estate on his own account.
Mr. A. Campbell.
Duncan, Nixon , Farmer, “Hilltop Farm,” Hampden: This property consists of 400 acres of freehold and 125 of leasehold, and has been occupied by Mr. Duncan for many years. Mr. Duncan was born in Dumdarton, Scotland, where he was trained as a shipcarpenter. He arrived at Lyttelton, by the ship “Matoaka,” in 1861, and settled in the Hampden district in 1863. Since then, except for twelve months on the West Coast, he has been a resident in the district. In the early days Mr. Duncan served on the Hampden Road Board. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Archibald Douglas, of Perthshire, and has two sons and five daughters.
Hodgson, John , Farmer, “Park House Farm,” Hampden. This old settler was born in 1826, in County Durham, England, where he was brought up to mining and pastoral pursuits. He landed in Melbourne, by the ship “Red Jacket,” in 1854, and after living nine years in Victoria, he came to Otago, where he was engaged in mining for one year, and afterwards for eight years on the West Coast. Mr. Hodgson settled at Hampden in the year 1872. His property consists of 258 acres of freehold land, and 221 acres of leasehold. Prior to the establishment of the borough council, Mr. Hodgson served as a member of the local road board. In 1868 he was married to a daughter of the late Mr. John Luddy, of Kilbeheny, Ireland, and has five daughters and six sons.
Mr. J. Hodgson and Daughter.
Moeraki Station , one of the properties of the New Zealand and Australian Land Company, comprises 5300 acres of freehold and 40,000 acres of leasehold land, and is situated almost entirely between the main road from Hampden to Waianakarua and the sea beach, only about 1200 acres being on the inland side of the road. The sheep on the estate number from 28,000 to 30,000, and the cattle 150. From twenty-five to thirty men are regularly employed on the property, and extra assistance is required at shearing and harvest times.
Mr. Thomas Morten Macaulay , Manager of Moeraki Station, was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1856. He came to the Colony with his parents in 1859, was trained as an agriculturist on one of the company's stations, and appointed manager at Moeraki in 1880 Mr. Macaulay was married, in 1887, to a daughter of Mr. D. Herbert, of Tapanui, and has two daughters and one son.
Mr. T. M. Macaulay.
Mr. Charles Campbell , sometime of “Glenrose,” Hampden, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1812. At the age of nine years Mr. Campbell left for the Highlands of Scotland to live with a childless uncle, by whom he was brought up, and with whom he remained till his uncle's death. Mr. Campbell arrived in Port Chalmers in 1859, by the ship “Alpine.” After two years and a half in the Taieri district, he settled at Hampden and purchased 300 acres of land. In the early days he acted as a member of the local school committee and road board, and was a warden of the hundreds before the establishment of local governing bodies. He also took an interest in church work as a member of the Hampden Presbyterian Church, of which he was a manager. Mr. Campbell was married, in 1841, to a daughter of the late Mr. McKinnon, of Argyleshire. Scotland. Mrs. Campbell died in 1896, leaving two sons and two daughters. Mr. Campbell, who had thirty-eight grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, died about two years ago (1904).
The late Mr. C. Campbell.