Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]


page 454


Moeraki is one of the pleasantest seaside resorts in Otago. The adjacent railway station, only a mile away, is known by the name of Hillgrove, which is also the name of the local postal district. Moeraki in itself is a fishing port, and a large number of boats are engaged in the fishing industry. The adjacent land has a genial north-eastern aspect, and as it is dotted with knolls and with clumps of bush, it has quite an areadian look. There is a Maori kaike and reserve at Moeraki, and a portion of the beach is strewn with boulders of great size and remarkable shape. Private boarding is obtainable, and during the summer months a large number of holiday keepers visit Moeraki. As long ago as 1842 a shipment of potatoes, grown by the Maoris at Moeraki, was taken to Wellington, and from that time dates the reputation of North Otago as a potato-producing district. The circumstances under which this historic shipment was made are described at page 364 of the Canterbury volume of this Cyclopedia.

Port Moeraki Public School , which was established in 1890, occupies a site of about two acres in extent. The building in of wood, and has two rooms, with accommodation for eighty scholars. The roll number is sixty-five, and the average attendance is fifty-five.

Mr. Cecil Frederick John Bell , Headmaster of the Moeraki Public School, was born in 1868, in Dunedin, where he was educated at the local Normal and High schools. After two years at the Normal Training College, he was appointed under the Education Board, and has occupied his present position since 1895. Mr. Bell was married in 1894, to a daughter of Mr. Charles Russell, of Merry Hill Farm, Seacliff, and has two sons and three daughters.

Mouat, James , Settler, Port Moeraki. Mr. Mouat was born in 1834 at Lerwick in the Shetland Isles, where he was educated, and served an apprenticeship oof four years at sea. He was at sea altogether for twelve years, and became mate of a coasting vessel in New South Wales. Mr. Mouat settled at Port Moeraki in 1875, and has ever since been associated with the district. He owns four and a half acres of land in the township, and has a seven roomed house, from which a charming view of the beach is obtainable. The house is usually let during the summer months to visitors from Dunedin, and Mr. and Mrs. Mouat occupy a cottage at the back. Mr. Mouat was married in 1871 to a daughter of the late Mr. P. Hunter, of Lerwick.

Moeraki Beach, showing Boulders.

Moeraki Beach, showing Boulders.

Mr. J. Mouat.

Mr. J. Mouat.