The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Mr. James Macandrew had one of the longest political records in Otago. He represented the town of Dunedin in the House of Representatives from 1854 to 1860; Bruce in 1865; Clutha from 1866 to 1870; Port Chalmers from 1871 to 1875; Dunedin city from 1876 to 1879; and Port Chalmers, again, from 1879 till 1886. Mr. Macandrew, who was born in Scotland, in the year 1819, died at Dunedin on the 24th of February, 1887. Death was due to injuries received, on the preceding day, through an accident which occurred while he was driving to his residece at Macandrew's Bay. Mr. Macandrew is further referred to as a former Superintendent of Otago, and an article about him appears on page 78 of the Wellington volume of this work.
Mr. Thomas Bannatyne Gillies , was born at Rothesay, Scotland, on the 17th of January, 1828, and was the eldest son of the late Mr. John Gillies. He was educated at the parish school, which he left for a lawyer's desk, but soon afterwards, deciding to abandon page 85 law for commerce, he made his way to Manchester. Mr. John Gillies, having decided to emigrate, the son resolved to cast his lot with him, and just before leaving, he married his first wife, Miss Douglas. He sailed from London in 1852, in the “Slains Castle,” and on arriving in Otago took up some land near Tokomariro, but afterwards moved to Warepa. Though outwardly content, it was soon evident that country life, in those early days, was scarcely suited to him, as it cut him off from all intellectual activity. This was shown very plainly in a series of articles entitled “Pencillings by the Way,” which he contributed to the “Otago Witness,” and in 1858 Mr. Gillies decided to remove to Dunedin. Having passed an examination before the Supreme Court, he entered the profession of the law, and joined the late Mr. John Hyde Harris. The business prospered, and in 1860 Mr. Gillies commenced to take an active part in provincial and general politics. He was elected to the General Assembly in 1860 Mr. Gillies commenced to take an active part in provincial and general politics. He was elected to the General Assembly in 1860 as representative for Dunedin, and became Attorney-General in 1862, Postmaster-General and Secretary for Lands in 1863–4, and in 1872 became Treasurer of the short-lived Stafford Ministry. In the meantime the partnership between himself and Mr. Harris was dissolved, and Mr. Gillies joined Mr. C. W. Richmond afterwards Judge Richmond. In 1865 Mr. Gillies decided to remove to Auckland, and, exclusive of Cook Strait, he performed the entire journey on horseback. He was not long in Auckland before his ability was recognised, and in one of the most memorable contests that ever took place in that provincial district, he defeated Mr. John Williamson in a contest for the Superintendency, and held the office from 1869 to 1873. He was also elected a member of the General Assembly, where he strongly opposed the Public Works policy of Sir Julius Vogel, brought down in 1870. In 1875 he was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court, by the Vogel Government. He was given the Auckland circuit, where he discharged the duties of his office in a singularly able manner up to the time of his death. Judge Gillies was twice married, and he left a large family. He perpetuated the memory of his second wife by founding the Sinclair Gillies scholarship in connection with the Auckland University College, of the governing body of which he had been a member since its establishment. Judge Gillies died suddenly from apoplexy, on the 26th of July, 1889.
The Hon. Thomas Dick was first elected for Dunedin to the House of Representatives in 1861. In 1886 he was elected for Port Chalmers. After the first session he resigned his seat, and it was not till 1879, at the general election for the seventh parliament of New Zealand, that he again appeared as a Dunedin representative. In that year he joined the Hall Administration, in which he held the portfolios of Colonial Secretary, Minister of Education, and Minister of Justice; and under Sir F. Whitaker's premiership he continued to hold these offices, with the added responsibilities of Postmaster-General and Commissioner of Telegraphs. In 1883 Major Atkinson became Premier, and Mr. Dick retained the portfolios of Colonial Secretary and Minister of Education. At the close of the session a re-arrangement of electorates was decided upon, and Mr. Dick stood for Dunedin West, when he was defeated, by a small majority, by the Hon. W. Downie Stewart. At the general election, in 1887, he was similarly defeated by the same gentleman. Mr. Dick is further referred to among the Superintendents of Otago.
Mr. Edward Mcglashan was born in Edinburgh on the 12th of December, 1817, and obtained an excellent education and mercantile training. He emigrated to Adelaide in 1848, and, after visiting Melbourne, came to Otago in 1850. For a short time he held the position of registrar in the first Supreme Court in the settlement, but he subsequently leased from Mr. Valpy the first flour mill erected at the Water of Leith. In conjunction with the milling business he carried on a store and auction-room in Princes Street. Mr. McGlashan afterwards established another industry in the Leith Valley, that of the manufacture of paper. Politically, he was for nearly a score of years one of the most prominent men in the provincial district. He occupied a seat in the first and second Provincial Councils, but was defeated on seeking election for a new constituency in 1861, and did not recover his seat until 1871, but he held it from that time until the abolition of the provinces in 1876. Mr. McGlashan was first elected to the House of Representatives in 1861, and he represented the constituency of Roslyn from 1871 until the dissolution in 1876. He was defeated by Mr. Dick upon the only occasion on which he contested the Superintendency. Mr. McGlashan was twice married, and died at St. Clair, Dunedin, on the 31st of July, 1889.
Major The Hon. Sir John Larkins Cheese Richardson, who was first elected to the House of Representatives in 1861, occupied a seat in two Ministries. He was Postmaster-General and Commisioner of Customs in the Weld Administration of 1864–65, and was a member of the Executive Council, without portfolio, in the second Stafford Ministry, from August, 1866, to May, 1868, Sir John is further referred to as a Superintendent of the Province of Otago.
The Hon. James Paterson sat for Dunedin in the House of Representatives, from 1863 to 1883. In October, 1865, he joined the Stafford Administration as a member of the Executive Council, without portfolio, but in May, of the following year, he became Postmaster-General, and held the position for three months, when he resigned his offices. He was a member of the Legislative Council for fifteen years.
The Hon. William Hunter Reynolds , who represented Dunedin in the House of Representatives from 1883 to 1876, and was afterwards member for Port Chalmers, held portfolios in four successive Governments. He was Commissioner of Customs in the Waterhouse, Fox, Vogel, and Pollen Administrations, and Colonial Secretary for three months in 1876. Mr. Reynolds was elected to the first Provincial Council of Otago, and remained continuously a member, up to the abolition of the provinces in 1876. He was a member of the Provincial Executive, and for four years Speaker of the Council. Mr. Reynolds was called to the Legislative Council in 1878, and is further referred to in that connection.
The Late Sir Julius Vogel.
Mr. Arthur John Burns was a son of the Rev. Thomas Burns, D.D., whose memory is still revered in Otago. He was born in the parish manse of Monkton, Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1830, and was a grandson of Gilbert Burns, brother of the great Scottish poet. He was educated under his father, and at the Wallacetown Academy, and was afterwards apprenticed to the merchant service, and went to sea. His first voyage proved eventful, as the ship was attacked by pirates, and all hands had to fight for their lives; but relief came in the shape of a gale. Mr. Burns took part in the China war in 1845–46, when the merchant seaman assisted the bluejackets in the attack on Canton. When Dr Burns accepted the first colonial appointment of the Free Church of Scotland—namely, that of Otago—A. J. Durns emigrated with his father's family in the “Philip Laing,” in April, 1848, For some years he settled in the Taieri Plain, and was practically the founder of the town of Mosgiel. In 1856 he was elected to represent taieri in the Provincial Council, in which he held the portfolios of Lands and Works. Mr. Burns was elected in 1865 to represent Tokomairiro in the General As sembly, and in the following year he was returned for Caversham. In 1869 he resigned his seat to got to England to procure a plant for the establishment of a woollen factory at Mosgiel. He was re-elected to the House of Representatives in 1876. as member for Roslyn, but resigned again to assume the management of the Westport Coal Company, which owed much of its prosperity to his foresight and ability. Subsequently he retired, and took up his residence in Dunedin. Mr. Burns died on the 15th of September, 1901. His wife predeceased him by three years, and he left five sons and five daughters.
Mr. George Hepburn , who was born in Leslie, Fifeshire, Scotland, arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Poictiers” in 1850. In the following year he was appointed manager of Mr. James Macandrew's store in Dunedin. In 1859, in conjunction with the late Mr. James Paterson, he bought the business, which they carried on successfully for several years, when they sold out, and Mr. Hepburn went to reside at Halfway Bush. For a considerable period he represented Waikari in the Provincial Council, where he was Chairman of Committees. In 1868 he was elected to the House of Representatives as member for Roslyn. Mr. Hepburn took a deep interest in religious matters, and was an elder of First Church, in the Halfway Bush district, in 1851, and was session clerk for some years. He was also one of the session of Knox Church, from its establishment up to the time of his death.
Mr. Donald Reid , one of Otago's earliest settlers and best known men, represented the Taieri constituency in the House of Representatives from 1866 to 1878 He was born on the 16th of July, 1833, at Newton Farm, Strathtay, Perthshire, Scotland, and was educated at Buruns' Academy, Edinburgh, and at Daniel Stewart's endowed school, Strathtay. Mr. Reid sailed from London for New Zealand in October, 1848, in the ship “Marry,” and, after calling at the ports of Nelson, Taranaki, and Wellington, arrived at Port Chalmers on the 10th of April, 1849. In 1853, he bought and commenced to farm the land now occupied by the Benevolent Institution at Caversham; he also owned about 180 acres of swamp land adjoing—and which now forms the suburbs of St. Kilda and South Dunedin. Three years later Mr. Reid sold out of these lands, and in 1857 settled on the “Salisbury Farm” at Taieri, which he still occupies. On the outbreak of the gold diggings in 1861, he, in conjunction with his farm workers, took up a claim at Gabriel's Gully, which proved a very successful venture. Shortly afterwards he commenced carrying stores for the miners with teams of oxen, making one trip per week by way of Maungatua and Waipori, at a freight charge of £100 per ton for the first few trips. In the early days of the Colony Mr. Reid took an active part in all public matters, and served continuously on road boards, school committees, etc. In 1858 he was one of the wardens of the Taieri hundred. He was elected in 1863 one of the three members representing the Taieri district in the Otago provincial council, and in 1869 became provincial secretary and treasurer, and held these offices until the provinces were abolished in 1876. Mr. Reid also represented the Taieri constituency in the House of Representatives from 1866 to 1878, and was a prominent supporter of the Stafford administration. He took an active part in passing the land resolutions of 1866 in the provincial council, and assisted in carrying the “Land Act 1866” through the General Assembly. In 1871 Mr. Reid contested the superintendency of Otago with Mr. Macandrew, the then Superintendent, on the question of a more liberal land policy, but, owing to the preponderance of voting power in the cities, was defeated, the actual voting being: Macandrew, 3,242; Reid, 2,950. In 1872 Mr. Reid introduced and carried through the provincial council new land regulations providing for the first time for the sale of land in Otago on deferred payments, and carried the “Land Act 1872” through parliament. In the same year he held the portfolio of public works in Sir E. W. Stafford's administration. After the abolition of the provinces in 1876, Mr. Reid was Minister of Lands and Public Works in Sir H. Atkinson's government, and introduced and carried through parliament the first general land act, which consolidated into one statute the nine different provincial land laws and ordinances, and extended the system of deferred payments to Southland and Canterbury. Mr. Reid was one of the first members of the Otago harbour board, and took an active part in the deliberations of that body for many years, zealously promoting the scheme for deepening the Dunedin channel so that all vessels entering the port might come to the city wharves. His long and honourable political career was brought to a close in 1878 when he definitely retired from public life, and commenced the business of auctioneer and stock and station agent which has now developed into a large concern. He was married in 1854 to Frances, eldest daughter of Mr. John Barr, of Mavis Bank, but this lady died in 1868. He was again married in 1875 to Sarah Gordon, relict of the Rev. E. Price, formerly of New South Wales. Of the first marriage two sons and four daughters survive, and one daughter of the second marriage. His sons are Mr. Donald Reid, solicitor, and Mr. Charles S. Reid and Co., both of Dunedin.
Mr. D. Reid
Mr. Thomas Birch was born at Fortrose, Scotland, in 1825, and sailed to New Zealand in the ship “Slains Castle,” which arrived in 1852. He removed to Invercargill, where he erected the first house, the frame-work of which was taken down by the ship “Star.” In 1858 he returned to London by the ship “Strathallan,” the first vessel that took a cargo direct from Port Chalmers to the Old Country. During this visit he did good service in promoting the cause of immigration. Mr. Birch commenced his public life as a page 87 member of the Otago Provincial Council, to which he was elected as a representative for Dunedin in 1863. He was a member of the first Dundin City Council, and afterwards Mayor. In 1869 he was elected to the House of Representatives as member for Dunedin city. Mr. Birch went Home as immigration agent in 1873. He was president of the Otago Caledonian Society, and for some time treasurer of the No. 2 Scottish Society. Mr. Birch died in March, 1880.
Mr. Henry Driver was born in the United States of America in 1831, and when a young man came to Victoria, and entered into business in Melbourne. He was attracted to Otago on the outbreak of the goldfields in 1861, and established himself as a merchant in Dunedin. Subsequently he accepted the position as manager in Dunedin of the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company. Mr. Driver was prominently interested in agricultural matters, and among public works with which he was connected was the erection of the telegraph line from Dunedin to Port Chalmers—one of the first lines in the colony—for which he had the contract. Latterly he turned his attention to farming. He was always an enthusiastic supporter of the turf. and had been an active member and office-bearer of the Dunedin Jockey Club from its inception. Mr. Driver entered public life as a member of the first Dunedin City Council, and soon afterwards gained a seat in the Provincial Council, of which he was a member for several years. In 1869 he was elected to the House of Representatives as member for Roslyn, and re-elected for the same constituency in 1871, but resigned his seat in the same year. On the resignation of Mr. A. J. Burns, in 1878, as member for Roslyn, Mr. Driver again stood, and was returned, and at the general election in the following year he was again elected. On the dissolution of Parliament, in 1881, he stood for the Hokonui seat, and was returned, but at the general election in 1884, when he stood for the Bruce seat, he was defeated by the late Mr. Robert Gillies. Mr. Driver did not again seek election; the state of his health necessitating his partial retirment from public affairs. He died on the 23rd of January, 1893, at Maori Hill. Dunedin, and left a widow and a grown up family.
Mr. James Mcindoe , who was elected in 1870 to represent Caversham in the House of Representatives, is a native of Rothesay, Bute, Scotland. He was born in 1824 and educated at the parish school at Rothesay. Mr. McIndoe was appointed in 1847 to succeed his father in the Otago Association. He took an active part in promoting the settlement, and is the only member of the Association now (1904) living. In 1859 he sailed in the ship “Alpine” for Dunedin. Shortly after landing he commenced business as a general merchant and auctioneer, but abandoned trade in 1861 for the goldfields, where he was one of the first to arrive after Mr. Gabriel Read. Three years later he returned to business life in Dunedin as a seed merchant, but retired in 1866 to attend to his duties in the Provincial Council, of which he was a member during the years 1866–69. Whilst in Parliament Mr. McIndoe was a strong supporter of Sir Julius Vogel's public works scheme, and he also took an active part in opposing the abolition of the provinces. He was married, in 1852, to Miss Elizabeth Gillies. a sister of the late Mr. Justice Gillies, and has two sons and one daughter. Mr. McIndoe has written many interesting papers on the early days of Otago, and in this way has made valuable contributions to history.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo,
Mr. J. Mcindoe.
The Hon. John Bathgate , who was elected to the House of Representatives for Dunedin City in 1871, was Minister of Justice and Commissioner of Stamps in the Waterhouse-Fox and Vogel Governments, and some time Commissioner of Customs. He is further referred to among former Legislative Councillors. Mr. Bathgate was a member of the Executive of the Otago Provincial Council, and was appointed district judge for Dunedin after his retirement from politics.
Mr. Richard Seaward Cantrell was born in 1825. and arrived in New Zealand in 1858. He represented Caversham in the Otago Provincial Council. and in 1871 was elected to the House of Representatives as member for the same district. Mr. Cantrell took an active part in the volunteer movement, was captain of the South District Rifles, and received a military funeral on his death in 1872. He left a family of six sons and two daughters.
Mr. William Alexander Tolmie represented Caversham in the House of Representatives from 1872 to 1875. He was also elected to the Otago Provincial Council for the Peninsula, and became a member of the Executive. In private life Mr. Tolmie was a well-known sheepfarmer. He had been ailing for some time before his death, and was, therefore, unable to attend to his parliamentary duties in Wellington. He died at his residence, Anderson's Bay, Dunedin, on Sunday, the 8th of August, 1875.
Mr. Nathaniel Young Armstrong Wales , who was elected to the House of Representatives for Dunedin in 1874, is elsewhere referred to in connection with the firm of Messrs Mason and Wales, architects, and as a former Mayor of Dunedin. He died on the 3rd of November, 1903.
Sir Robert Stout.
The Hon. William James Mudie Larnach , C.M.G., was elected as a representative of the city of Dunedin to the House of Representatives in 1876, and on subsequent occasions he was returned for the Peninsula and the Tuapeka electorates. He was born in 1838, in New South Wales, where he acquired experiences in agriculture and in pastoral life, and afterwards devoted his attention to commerce and banking. In 1867 he arrived in Dunedin to take the colonial management of the Bank of Otago and its connections throughout New Zealand and Australia. Mr. Larnach was Colonial Treasurer, Minster for Public Works and Railways, and Commissioner of Stamps in Sir George Grey's Administration and Minister of Mines and Minister of Mines and Minister of Marine in the Stout-Vogel Government. His death occurred in 1898.
Mr. James Seaton , one of the pioneer settlers who arrived by the “Philip Laing” in 1848, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1822 He settled at Portobello, and was a member of the Education Board and Road Board. Mr. Seaton entered public life as a member of the Otago Provincial Council in 1887, and was subsequently appointed immigration agent at Home, in conjunction with Mr. Thomas Birch. In 1875 he was elected to the House of Representatives as member for Caversham, and in 1881 he was returned for the Peninsula. Mr. Seaton was killed in Dunedin, through a buggy accident, in 1882.
The Hon. Richard Oliver , who was elected to the House of Representatives in 1878, was born in Penzance, Cornwall, England, on the 21st of February, 1830. He emigrated to New Zealand, and was long known in Dunedin as senior member of the firm of Oliver and Ulph. In 1878 he was returned to Parliament, and was Minister of Public Works in the Hall Ministry from October, 1879, to May, 1881. He was in the same Government, without portfolio, till April, 1882, when a reconstruction took place, and he was in the Whitaker Government as a member of the Executive Council till September, 1883. A second reconstruction was then made, when Mr. Oliver became Postmaster-General and Commissioner of Telegraphs, under Sir H. A. Atkinson; but retired with the rest of his colleagues, in August, 1884. Mr. Oliver was twice married; first at penzance, in 1858, to a daughter of Mr. William Purchase, and secondly, at penzance, in 1885, to a daughter of Mr. J. S. Courtney, and sister of the Right Hon. Leonard H. Courtney, M.P., Chairman of Committees in the House of Commons from 1886 till 1892. He was nominated to the Legislative Council in November, 1881.
Mr. William Barron , who represented the Caversham electorate in the House of Representatives during the years 1879–90, was born in St. Andrews, Scotland, in 1837. He was educated at Scottish parish and public schools, and afterwards trained to commercial life in Edinburgh. In January, 1861, he arrived in New Zealand, landing in Port Chalmers, and was for about eighteen months subsequently engaged in mining and store keeping on the Otago goldfields. He then entered into business in Dunedin as the senior partner, first in the firm of Messrs Barron and Campbell, and, later on, in the firm of Messrs Barron, Grant and Company, merchants and runholders. In 1874 he retired from active business life, and on his return from a voyage to England eighteen months later he bought and built upon a handsome homestead, known as “The Willows,” at Kew, Caversham, where he has since resided. Mr. Barron was a member of the Dunedin City Council in the early seventies. While in Parliament he took special interest in the improvement of the patent-laws, the abolition of plural voting, extension of polling hours, economy in adminstration, reduction of members, and repeal of the property tax. In politics he is an Independent Libaral; and has always contended for Freetrade and for the freehold title to land. He was one of the chief advocates of the Otago Central railway, was for several years chairman of the Executive Committee, and was associated with the late Mr. Vincent Pyke in defeating the opposition to the scheme. He is a Freemason of many years' standing, and has occupied the position of Grand Master of the New Zealand Grand Lodge of Freemasons. Mr. Barron was married, in 1870, to Miss Banks, of “Cheetwood,” Clutha, and has fire sons and six daughters.
The Hon. William Downie Stewart was first elected to the House of Represenlatives in 1879, as member for Dunedin, and, subsequently, he represented Dunedin West for six years. He was called to the Legislative Council in 1891, and in that connection he is referred to in another article.
Mr. Thomas Bracken was elected in 1881 to represent Dunedin Central in the House of Representatives, but lost his seat at the election of 1884. Three years later he was again returned to the House. Mr. Bracken was born in Ireland, in 1843, and arrived in Victoria when he was twelve years of age. After experiencing the ups and downs of colonial life for several years he crossed over to Otago, where he connected himself shortly afterwards with journalism. He was associated with the “Otago Guardiam” in the first year or two of its existence, and subsequently founded a weekly paper. called “The Saturday Advertiser,” which he conducted with marked ability, and in which he had the Hon. John Bathgate as his financial partner. Mr. Bracken is best known as the author of several collections of verse, and published “Beyond the Tomb and Other Poeams.” “Pulpit Lectres,” “Flowers of the Freelands,” “Paddy Murphy's Budget,” “The New Zealand Tourist,” “Lays of the Lands of the Maori and Goa,” and “Musings in Maoriland.” He died in the Dunedin Hospital, of goitre, on the 6th of February, 1898.
Mr. Henry Smith Fish represented South Dunedin during the years 1881–4 and 1887–90, was one of the members of the House of Representatives for the City of Dunedin in 1890–3, and was again returned in 1896. Mr. Fish was born in London in 1838, and until ten years of age, attended school at Uxbridge; he then went with his parents to South Australia, where the family remained till 1851. After a short experience on the Ovens diggings in Victoria, Mr. Fish, senior, went into business as a painter and paper-hanger in Melbourne, his son the subject of this notice, being his apprentice. It was in 1867 that Mr. Fish first became prominent in the politics of Dunedin; he was elected in that year a member of the City Council, in which he sat for a number of years, and was chief magistrate for the years 1870–1–2–3, and for 1893–4–5. During his entire career in connection with the council he was most active in promoting such matters as the widening of Princes Street south, and the acquisition of the water and gas works. Mr. Fish was also an active member of the provincial council of Otago, and of the Otago harbour board. In the Order of Oddfellows he took a keen interest, being provincial grand master in 1878. In Freemasonry he was a past master of Lodge Dunedin and provincial grand secretary, and afterwards deputy provincial grand master of the district. He was an active member of the old citizens' cricket club, and was vice-president of the Dunedin amateur boating club. Mr. Fish was married in 1868 to a daughter of the late Mr. John Carr, of Launceston, and died on the 23rd of September, 1897, leaving a widow, two sons and six daughters.
The Late Mr. H. S. Fish.
Mr. Matthew Wood Green , who represented Dunedin East in the House of Representatives, and is worthy of being remembered for his persistent and successful efforts in lightening the burdens of juvenile and female workers. When quite a youth he entered the East India Company's service, and subsequently went to the Cape, where, under Sir Harry Smith, he took part in the page 89 Kaffir war. From the Cape he proceeded to Victoria, and on the breaking out of the Otago goldfields he came over to Dunedin and took up his residence at Queenstown. In 1886 he was elected to the House of Representatives for the Lake district, which he represented till 1870. At that time he was editor of the 'Lake Wakatipu Mail,” and advocated liberal legislation in several directions. It was principally through his exertions that the agricultural lease system was adopted. Mr. Bradshaw was elected member for Waikaia in 1871, and in the same year he was returned to the Provincial Council, and became a member of the Executive. At the general election for the House of Representatives in 1876, he was defeated, owing to his views in regard to secular education. In 1884 Mr. Bradshaw successfully contested the election for Dunedin Central, his opponent being the former member, and he held the seat up to the time of his death, which occurred on the 1st of Setpember, 1886. Mr. Bradshaw secured the Saturday half-holiday and the limitation of the hours of work for women and children. In his youth he was a good all-round athlete, and both in Victoria and New Zealand he was one of the players against the first All England Eleven. He left a widow, two sons, and three daughters.
Mr. James Gore , who represented the City of Dunedin in the House of Representatives during the years 1884–7, was born in Liverpool, where he was educated at private schools. His father, Mr. Hugh Gore, emigrated with his family to Victoria in 1852, and the subject of this notice was engaged with his father on Government contracts, chiefly road construction and bridge building. He came to Otago in 1861 and settled in Dunedin, where he followed a similar business, and afterwards undertook building contracts. Mr. Gore entered the city council as member of South Ward in 1877, and was elected Mayor in 1881. Since the close of his year of office as mayor, he has continued to take part in the government of the city as a councillor. Mr. Gore was the chairman of the first licensing committee for High Ward, and was a member of the first South Ward committee. As a Freemason he belongs to the Otago Kilwinning Lodge, S.C., and holds office as Grand Master for New Zealand South District.
Mr. J. Gore.
Mr. Archibald Hilson Ross was elected in 1884 to the House of Representatives, of which he was a member for six years. He was also Mayor of Dunedin, and is further referred to in that connection.
Dr. Frederick Fitchett , M.A., LL.D., who represented Dunedin Central in the House of Representatives from 1887 to 1890, was, during that period, the Whip of the Liberal party. On the expiration of his term he did not seek re-election. Dr. Fitchett, who was born at Grantham, Lincolnshire, England, in 1851, studied at the Melbourne and New Zealand Universities. He gained a Bowen prize in Dunedin in 1876, a senior scholarship in Latin in 1878, and one in Greak in the following year. In 1880 he took his M.A. degree, with first-class honours in political science, and gained the LL.D. degree in 1887. On being admitted to the bar in 1881 as a barrister and solicitor, he commenced practice in Dunedin, and was subsequently joined by Mr. Thornton, under the style of Fitchett and Thornton. This partnership was dissolved in 1894, upon Dr. Fitchett accepting the appointment of Parliamentary Draughtsman and Assistant-Crown Law Officer. He afterwards became Solicitor-General.
Mr. Hugh Sutherland Valentine , who represented the Waikaia electorate in the House of Representatives during the years 1887–90, and sat for the constituency of Tuapeka from 1890 to 1893, was born in Aberdeen. He is a well known business man, having been managing director and general manager of the New Zealand Agricultural Company for fifteen years. Mr. Valentine is largely interested in station properties in Southland, and for several years conducted a stock and station agency business in the Gore district; this he relinquished for family reasons, removing to Dunedin in 1896. Commencing business as an auctioneer in the Central auction rooms In High Street, he soon found the premises too small, and removed to the commodious brick building afterwards occupied by him in Manse Street. Mr. Valentine retired from political life at the general election of 1893. Three years later, however, he contested Wallace against Mr. Gilfedder, the sitting member, and three other candidates. As a volunteer, Mr. Valentine was captain of the Gore Rifles and chief of the Otago staff, under Colonel Wales, during the St. Andrews' encampment so successfully carried out some years ago. Mr. Valentine is a lifefellow of the Royal Geographical Society, also of the Royal Colonial Institute, London Chamber of Commerce, and other important societies in the Old Country.
Mr. H. S. Valentine.
Mr. William Dawson , J.P., who represented the suburbs of Dunedin in the House of Representatives for 1890–1893, was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, in January, 1852, and was educated at Montrose, whither his family had removed shortly after his birth. His father, after whom he was named, was brewer at the Devana Brewery. Aberdeen; the family subsequuently went to Bishop Middleham in Durham, England. There Mr. Dawson acquired the art of brewing under his father's tuition, and in 1892 went to Burton-on-Trent to study page 90 the system of brewing adopted there. Subsequently he was for some time with the firm of W. Younger and Co., Edinburgh. Mr. Dawson is further referred to as a former member of the Dunedin City Council.
Mr. W. Dawson.
Mr. William Earnshaw , who was elected a member of the House of Representatives for the Peninsula at the general elections in December, 1890, and for the city of Dunedin in 1894, held a seat in the House for six years. He was born in Manchester, England, in 1852, displayed considerable ability at school, and was aftewards apprenticed to a firm and specially trained as an all-round mechanic. At the age of twenty-one he went to America, and two years later returned to England, but only to embark for New Zealand. Not being able to settle down, he visited Australia, and then went to America and England, but soon afterwards returned to Melbourne. In 1878 Mr. Earnshaw arrived in New Zealand and worked in the Addington workshops for two years. The 10 per cent reduction in the wages of Government employees caused him to leave in 1881 for Dunedin, where he was engaged as a brass finisher at Anderson and Morrison's, up to the time of his election to Parliament. Mr. Earnshaw is now (1904) developing his beach dredging property on Gillespie's Beach, South Westland.
Mr. William Hutchison was born in the parish of Bellie, Banffshire, Scotland, in 1820. He was educated in his native place and in Inverness, and chose journalism as his profession. Mr. Hutchison came out to Auckland in 1866-the year after the transfer of the seat of government to Wellington—under engagement with Messrs Creighton and Scales, proprietors of the “Southern Cross” newspaper. A few months after his arrival he was appointed to the editorship of the “Wanganui Chronicle,” which he conducted for about nine years. Mr. Hutchison first entered political life as representative of Wanganui in the Wellington provincial council, in the deliberations of which he took an active part for some years. He left Wanganui—of which he had been mayor—for Wellington, in 1874, and founded a daily paper called the “Tribune,” which he successfully conducted for four years, when he disposed of it to the late Mr. E. T. Gillon and others. During his residence in Wellington Mr. Hutchison became mayor of the city, and was returned to the House of Representatives in 1879 as member for that constituency, retaining the seat till 1882; in that year he was elected for Wellington South, for which he sat for two years. He removed to Dunedin in 1884, and engaged in his profession as a journalist. As one of the members for Dunedin City from 1890 to 1896 Mr. Hutchison will long be remembered; though defeated at the general election of 1896, he occupied a very creditable position on the poll, and, at the by-election in the following year, would probably have been elected but for the fact of a third party entering the contest. Mr. Hutchison was married on the 12th of August, 1846, to Miss Helen Aicheson, of Inverness, and has four daughters and four sons.
Mr. W. Hutchison.
The Hon. David Pinkerton , who was a representative of the city of Dunedin for the six years, 1890 to 1896, is elsewhere referred to as a member of the Legislative Council.
The Late Mr. A. Morrison.
Mr. Mackay John Scobie Mackenzie , sometime Senior Member of the House of Representatives for Dunedin City, was born in 1845 at Tain, Ross-shire, Scotland, and was educated at the Tain Royal Academy, and at the John Watson's Institution—a sort of Scotch Bluecoats' school—in Edinburgh. Mr. MacKenzie came out to the Colony of Victoria in 1861, and in the following year formed one of the first party that started with sheep, with the intention of crossing the continent to the Gulf of Carpentaria. Financial disaster, however, overtook the expedition, and resulted in its abandonment. He was then for nine years engaged in pastoral pursuits, chiefly as overseer on a station near Lake Hindmarsh, and afterwards became manager of an estate near Camperdown, in the western district of Victoria. Having been engaged to take over the management of a station, Mr. MacKenzie arrived in Otago in January, 1870, and five years later acquired the Kyeburn station, Maniototo. He was for many years prominent as a politician, his first appearance in public life being as a member of the Maniototo county council in 1882, of which he subsequently became chairman. Two years afterwards Mr. MacKenzie was returned to the House of Representatives for the constituency of Mount Ida, and was re-elected for the same seat in 1887 and 1890. He was defeated at the general election of 1893, owing to the Waihemo district, which had for some time been represented by the Hon. J. McKenzie, being joined to his electorate. Immediately afterwards he was again defeated at a by-election for Tuapeka. In 1896, however, Mr. MacKenzie was returned as senior member for Dunedin City, his majority being 1,641 above the second member; the total number of votes polled for him was over 7,800, the largest at any election in the Colony. Although liberal and individualistic in politics, he was classed with the so-called “Conservative” party. Mr. MacKenzie was engaged generally in journalism. He was married in 1876 to the only daughter of Sir Francis Dillon Bell, and left a family of three sons and two daughters, when he died on the 15th of September, 1901.
The late Mr. M. J. S. Mackenzie.
Mr. Alexander Sligo , J.P., who was returned to Parliament for Dunedin at the by-election in 1897—caused by the death of Mr. H. S. Fish—was born in Perth, Scotland, in 1832, educated at the old Guild School, Perth, and served an apprenticeship to the stationery and book binding business in his native city. Arriving in Melbourne in 1854, Mr. Sligo worked at his trade as a book binder and paper ruler, subsequently going to Ballarat, where he was at the time of the riots. For several years Mr. Sligo was engaged on the Victorian goldfields, and in 1863 arrived in Dunedin. After a short experience on the goldfields he settled in Dunedin, where after working at his trade for a time he established his present business in 1871. Mr. Sligo has long taken a leading part in connection with the Order of Oddfellows (Manchester Unity), and was for many years Corresponding Secretary for the Otago district. He has been almost continuously a member of school committees since the commencement of the present act, was eight years a member of the Dunedin Licensing Committee, and chairman for three years. In the Caledonian Society of which he is a director, Mr. Sligo filled all the offices during a number of years. he is likewise a director of several public companies, and has always been willing to assist any social or benevolent movement for the advancement of the interests of Dunedin. Further references to his business will be found in another part of this work.
Mr. A. Sligo.
Mr. Alfred Richard Barclay , B.A., LL.B., was elected to the House of Representatives in 1899, and sat as a member for the city of Dunedin for three years. He is elsewhere referred to as a member of the legal profession.