The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Mr. William Stewart
Mr. William Stewart , Of “Lochend,' Tomahawk, is the eldest son of the late Mr. William Stewart, of Lillybank, one of the first settlers to take up land in the Tomahawk district. Mr Stewart, senior, arrived in Dunedin by the ship “Silistria,” in 1861, accompanied by his wife, two sons, and six daughters; at the same time he brought with him a large quantity of farm implements. He died in 1872, at the age of fifty-five. Mr. William Stewart, the younger, was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, and was thirteen years old when he came to New Zealand with his parents in the “Silistria.” After working hard for years in clearing bush and improving the family property, he succeeded to the farm on the death of his father. The farm has an area of 120 acres, and is now leased to and carried on by Mr Stewart's two sons. Since 1898 Mr. Stewart has resided at “Lochend,” a fine property, and the first selection in the district; it was selected by his father-in-law, the late Mr. William Sanderson. Mr. Stewart was chairman of the Tomahawk Road Board for two years, and for several years a member of the school committee, and a volunteer in the Otago Hussars. He married Miss Sanderson, daughter of the late Mr. William Sanderson, of “Lochend,” one of the early pioneers, and there is a family of two sons and four daughters.
Mr. And Mrs W. Stewart And Family.