Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]

Hayman, P., and Co

Hayman, P., and Co. (members of the firm of Hayman and Co., of 3 Coleman Street, London, E.C., partners), Merchants, Importers of Watches, Jewellery, Fancy Goods, Tobacco and Cigars, Cutlery, and Crockery, Rattray Street, Dunedin (head office for New Zealand). Telephone, 143. P.O. Box, 226. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Manager for New Zealand, Mr. Max Hayman. Branches: Lichfield Street, Christ church (Mr. A. Fairburn, local manager); Victoria Street, Wellington (Mr. J. Lachmann, local manager); and at Customs Street, Auckland (Mr. L. Benjamin, local manager). London house, Hayman and Co., 3 Coleman Street, E.C. This old and successful business was established in Birmingham, as Hayman and Co., and in Melbourne, as P. Hayman and Co., in the year 1850 by Philip and Louis Hayman, the latter taking charge of the buying and shipping of the goods in England, and the former acting as resident partner in the Victorian capital. After ten prosperous years in Melbourne the New Zealand branch was decided upon. This was at the time of the gold “rush” to the early Otago diggings, and the New Zealand firm commenced business in 1861, under the style of P. Hayman and Co.; the two founders died some years ago, and shortly after Mr. Philip Hayman's death the Melbourne house was closed. The business has since been carried on by the nephews of the original partners now residing in London, to which the head quarters of the firm were transferred in 1884. The New Zealand branch, at its commencement, was situated in small premises in High Street. The business, however, developed so rapidly that more commodious quarters were imperatively demanded. A portion of the fine warehouse now occupied as the residence of the firm in Rattray Street, was shortly afterwards erected on a convenient section of land 166 feet in depth. The building had at first only forty-two feet frontage, but extended the full distance back, and for several years this served all the purposes of the business. In 1875 the premises were considerably enlarged; the warehouse now has about eighty feet frontage and extends back 166 feet. It is a two storey brick structure and is connected by a covered bridge with a large brick building at the back of the main warehouse. There are two spacious entrances from Rattray Street, both having folding doors; that on the right entering the general offices, while the other opens into the warehouse. Immediately on the right of the first named entrance, is the jewellery strong room of the firm, built in solid concrete, the walls, floor and ceiling being constructed of fire proof material; the windows are furnished with iron shutters, and the doors are of solid iron. Within, a most valuable stock of watches and jewellery is kept. Several massive safes being utilised for storing the enormous variety held by Messrs. Hayman and Co. Behind the jewellery strong room are the general offices, which are handsome and well furnished. The floor above this part of the premises is used for the storage of Messrs. Hayman and Co.'s bonded stock, which is very extensive. Two thirds of the ground floor of the main warehouse are used for various departments of the business. First are tobacconists' goods, including cigars, cigarettes and tobacco itself in many qualities, and various brands, besides pipes in endless profusion; and all classes of goods required by traders in this line. Behind this section are Sheffield goods embracing cutlery in marvellous styles, in handsome cases and boxes as well as in neat packets. Further back is the electroplated ware, some very large show cases being brought into requisition to display the handsome assortment of this choice stock. On the opposite side of this large apartment is a very important branch of Messrs. Hayman and Co.'s trade—the stationery department. Here are kept on hand immense stocks of ledgers, journals, cash and other books required by business firms generally, and every description of stationery goods is held, the firm having special facilities for supplying all lines of the best quality and at the lowest possible price. More to the front are the optical goods, which include sight testing apparatus, frames in gold, silver, and steel, various lenses—microscope, telescope, and opera glasses—and numerous other lines which cannot be particularised. The centre of this part of the warehouse contains a large ornamental stand with pillars and canopy for displaying tobaccos. Ascending by a spacious and handsome staircase to the first floor, the visitor reaches the patent medicine and drug department, where remedies for “all the ills that flesh is heir to” are kept carefully put up in boxes, page 348 bottles, packets, and well labelled with full instructions for use. Not far from this section, is a department devoted to clocks, which appear in marble, brass, nickel, and other material for presentation or ornamental purposes, and also the simple and useful clocks, for kitchen, for drawing room, for dining and for bed room. These goods are interspersed with handsome bronze figures and other ornaments of divers designs. Toys next claim the attention of the visitor, the ingenuity of experts in many parts of the world having been laid under tribute to supply a multitude of devices to amuse the young, and interest and attract their parents and friends; fancy goods also of all kinds are contained in this department. The musical instrument department is also on this flat. Not merely pianos and organs from England, America and the Continent are on view here, but every kind of instrument, and all accessories for repairing, tuning, and maintaing them are stocked. Toilet goods, brushware and an endless variety of soaps form another division of Messrs. Hayman's business, a large and varied stock of general perfumery being stored in this branch of the establishment. Passing through and over the bridge to the first floor of the back building, the visitor finds endless styles of crockery ware, glass ware, lamp ware all displayed on counters and shelves ranged along the full length of the large room. There are also several show cases where saddlery and many other goods are displayed. Cricket, tennis, golf, and other similar goods are kept in endless variety, and also general household brushware. Below again is the bulk store, where crates and cases of free and duty paid goods await orders for shipment to customers in any part of the Colony. The total floorage space in this very complete establishment is over 25,000 square feet. Messrs. Hayman and Co. employ thirty hands in connection with their head quarters in Dunedin, together with the Christchurch branch, besides three travellers who visit their customers in the various towns and settlements of the South Island. A like number are engaged at each of their branches in Auckland and Wellington, so that about 100 persons are engaged by the firm in New Zealand. Complete stocks are maintained in these cities, so that customers may rely on their requirements being promptly supplied. Among Messrs. Hayman and Co.'s sole agencies in the colony may be mentioned: Kap's special model pianos, “Mazawattee Tea,” Bryant and May's matches, Cleaver's soap and toilet goods, and “Waterbury” watches. Mr. Max Hayman, the New Zealand manager of this important firm, has been resident in Dunedin since 1870, and succeeded his brother, Mr. Lachmann Hayman, as manager, on that gentleman's departure from the colony in 1874.