Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]


page break


Branson's Hotel (C. B. M. Branson. Proprietor), corner of Great King and St. Andrew Streets, Dunedin. This hotel is now (1904) one of the best equipped and most popular hotels in the city. The management is superintended by Mr. Branson, who is supported by a large staff of experienced assistants.

Caledonian Hotel (William Henry Skitch. proprietor), corner of Walker and Hope Streets, Dunedin. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The original hotel of the same name, on the same site, was one of the oldest hostelries in Dunedin. It was destroyed by fire in 1874. when the present stone building was erected. The house has a two-storey frontage on Walker street and three stories on Hope Street, and is the freehold property of the proprietor. It contains thirty rooms. including dining and sitting rooms. Standing on an elevated site, it commands a view of the city and harbour, and is within easy distance of the Post Office and the central business premises of the city. The Caledonian Hotel is a family and commercial house, and receives a large patronage from country visitors. It was taken over by the present proprietor in August, 1903, when it was thoroughly renovated and improved.

Mr. William Henry Skitch , Proprietor of the Caledonian Hotel, was born in Bendigo, Victoria, in 1860, and was educated in his native place, He came to Otago in 1872, and was apprenticed to Messrs A. and T. Burt, Limited, engineers. After serving that firm for seven years, he took possession of the West Coast Hotel, which he conducted till 1889. During the next three years he made one or two visits to the Australian colonies and in 1892 took over the Rising Sun Hotel, where he remained until he acquired his present property. Mr. Skitch is a keen sportsman; he has been president, and is now vice-president, of the Dunedin Gun Club, with which he has been connected from its foundation. He has been a member of the Dunedin Cricket Club for many years, and he is now (1904) its captain; and he is a member of the committee of the Otago Cricket Association. He has also acted as umpire in important representative matches. Mr. Skitch was a member of the Dunedin Fire Brigade for five years, and represented Dunedin in team competitions. He is well known throughout New Zealand as an athlete, and as a winner of valuable trophies, here and in the other colonies. Mr. Skitch is also a member of the Caledonian Society. As a Freemason he is a member of Lodge Hiram, No. 46, New Zealand Constitution, and one of its Past Masters. Mr. Skitch was married in 1881, to a daughter of the late Mr. George Mariner, an old identity in Dunedin, and has a family of two sons.

Captain Cook Hotel (William Collie, proprietor), corner of Great King and Albany Streets, Dunedin. This old established and well known hostelry, which is situated opposite the Albany Street Post Office, is the freehold property of the proprietor. It is a compact building of two stories, and contains sixteen rooms. Since Mr. Collie took possession of the establishment, in 1903, considerable improvements and re-furnishings have been effected. The large yard at the back of the premises is asphalted, and stabling, including stalls and a loose box, is provided.

Mr. Collie was born in 1848 in County Clare, Ireland, and was educated in Victoria, whither he was taken at the age of ten years. Both his parents were Scotch and originally belonged to Inverness. He was brought up to the trade of a bookbinder, and was for over thirteen years with the firm of Messrs George Robertson and Co., of Melbourne. In 1883 he arrived in New Zealand, and was engaged by Messrs Erskine and Whitmore, of Invercargill, with whom he continued for upwards of ten years, becoming manager of their manufacturing department. In 1893 he took over the Park View Hotel, Invercargill, and, about twelve months later, became landlord of the Criterion Hotel, which he left to take over the “Central” in Dunedin. Subsequently he took over the Southern Hotel, and in 1903, purchased his present property. He is a member of the Order of Foresters, being attached to Court Star of the South, Invercargill. Mr. Collie was married, in 1897, to a daughter of the late Mr. R. M. Clark, of Taranaki, and has three sons and three daughters.

The City Hotel (W. J. Waters, proprietor), Princes Street and Moray Place, Dunedin. Telephone 603. P.O. Box 212. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This favourite and first-class hotel is a handsome three storey stone and brick building with large frontages to Princes Street and Moray Place East, and has for many years been a favourite hotel with tourists and commercial men. It contains forty-five bedrooms, four sitting rooms, ladies' drawing rooms, commercial and reading rooms, and a beautiful well lighted dining room capable of seating eighty guests. The ground floor accommodates the public and private bars, which are stocked with the best spirits, wines, and cigars obtainable; and a large billiard room and private office are also on the same floor. The main entrance is from Princes Street, and a fine broad stairway leads from the entrance hall to the first floor, which has the dining room, commercial room, and ladies' drawing rooms. There are bathrooms with hot and cold water and shower connections in each storey. The hotel in its construction is as nearly fire proof as possible, and handsome iron balconies, with concrete floors on each storey, afford every facility for escape in case of fire. There are several well lighted sample rooms for the use of commercial men. The whole house is furnished with taste and luxury, and the comfort of the guests is the study of the host and hostess. The City Hotel occupies a most central position, within a short distance of the Post Office, banks, warehouses, railway station and wharf.

Mr. William John Waters , Proprietor of the City Hotel, was born in Kent, England. He was taken as a child to Australia, and arrived in Dunedin in 1864. For over thirty-nine years he was engaged in hotel-keeping at Port Chalmers, where he owned the leading hotel, but owing to No License being carried in the district, his house was closed in 1903, when he entered into possession of the City Hotel, the popularity of which is ably maintained by him. Mr. Waters is a volunteer of very old standing. He was a member of the L Battery and Port Chalmers Navals, and retired after twenty-five years of service with the rank of captain and the Victoria decoration. He has taken a great interest in all classes of sports—shooting, cricketing, yachting and rowing, and is a vice-president of numerous clubs. Mr. Waters is married, and has a family of seven children.

Coffee Palace (Dunedin Coffee Palace Company), Moray Place, Dunedin. P.O. Box, 196. Bankers: Bank of Australasia. This splendid private hotel was built by Mr. R. Hudson, J.P., in 1880. The building is a handsome four storey brick structure. On the ground floor on one side of the main entrance is the public luncheon-room, where luncheon is served daily from 12 noon to 2 p.m; next to this is a large sample-room; then the kitchen and other offices situated at the rear of the premises. A splendid dining-room with seating capacity for seventy guests, and connected with the kitchen by a lift, is situated on the first floor, with a comfortable smoking-room and a handsomely furnished drawing-room en suite, together with two very large bedrooms and lavatories on the same floor. The second floor has a cosy private parlour, and eighteen good bedrooms, besides bath-room with hot and cold water laid on. In all there are twenty-four bedrooms, page 317 rooms, four of which contain double beds. The attics are assigned to the accommodation of the servants. The Coffee Palace is well known as a comfortable house for visitors,
Coffee Palace.

Coffee Palace.

and is very popular with the local and travelling public.

Mr. C. F. Meyer , formerly Proprietor of the Coffee Palace, was born in 1834 in Hamburg, where he was educated and trained for a mercantile life. In 1852, he came out to the Colonies and spent ten years in Maryborough, Victoria, during the last four of which he was in business as an ionmonger. He landed in Dunedin in 1862, and after a short experience on the diggings he entered into business as a storekeeper at Lawrence, Tuapeka goldfields, till 1880, when he removed to Dunedin. For eleven years Mr. Meyer was in business in Roslyn as a store-keeper, baker, etc. During his residence in that suburb he was on the local borough council for about five years, and also a member of the local hospital committee, and other institutions. He was married in 1860 in Victoria to a daughter of Mr. Barker, of Suffolk, England, and has seven daughters and seven sons.

Commercial Hotel (James and John Watson, proprietors), High Street, Dunedin; Telephone 128; Post Office Box 106. This fine hotel, which was established by the present proprietors in 1874, is a brick building of three stories. The “Commercial” was conducted by Messrs. Watson till October, 1883, when they entered into possession of the Grand Hotel, then just completed. The brothers were well known as proprietors of that splendid establishment for the succeeding ten years, when they again became landlords of the house they now conduct.

Commercial Hotel

Commercial Hotel

Cornish's Terminus Hotel (Mrs Cornish, proprietress). Corner of Lower Rattray and Cumberland Streets (opposite the Triangle, Gardens, Railway Station, and Wharves), Dunedin; Telephone 578; Post Office Box 317. This splendid hostelry, which occupies a fine corner section, is three stories in height, and contains superior accommodation. On the ground floor are situated the bar, Dunedin jockey club-room, lavatories, kitchen, and other conveniences. The first floor contains private apartments, a large smoking-room, and a spacious dining-room capable of seating some fifty persons, while the second floor is entirely devoted to bedrooms, sitting-rooms, drawing-rooms, and bath-rooms. The situation is one of the most convenient in Dunedin, and the menu is all that can be desired. The “Terminus,” though situated in a busy locality, is one of the quietest hotels in the city, and can be recommended as a decidedly first class house.

Mr. T. Cornish , sometime proprietor of the Terminus Hotel, was a native
The Late Mr T. Cornish.

The Late Mr T. Cornish.

of Cornwall, England, having been born at Launceston in 1834. He came out to the Colonies in 1852, landing at Adelaide, South Australia, had some experience of life on the diggings, and for some time kept a hotel at Hawkesbury, Mount Benger. At the time of the Gabriel's Gully “rush” in the sixties he came to New Zealand, and was afterwards proprietor of several hotels in the city; namely, the old “Royal,” Walker street (till 1882), the London Hotel, corner of Princes and Jetty streets (till 1889), and the “Central,” Princes street (till May, 1897). He then owned the “Terminus” till the time of his death, which took place on the 2nd of December, 1903. His widow and family still carry on the business.

The Crown Hotel (P. Keligher, proprietor), corner of Rattray and Maclaggan Streets. Telephone, 978, P.O. Box 220. This old established hotel, which is centrally situated at the corner of Rattray and Maclaggan Streets, is a fine brick building containing over fifty rooms. It is a favourite calling place with travellers and country visitors and families. The main entrance from Rattray Street opens into a spacious passage. Thence the visitor may enter the large dining room, which has seats for fifty guests. The commercial room, reading room, and billiard room are reached from the same passage. On the first floor there are several private sitting rooms, bedrooms and a drawing room for ladies. The second storey contains both single and double bedrooms. There are bathrooms with hot and cold water, and lavatories, on each floor. The whole establishment is furnished in good taste, and the visitor is sure of every comfort and attention, Water-hose are placed in convenient and accessible places in each flat in case of fire, and the fine balconies which run round both the first and second stories, give every facility for escape., However, as the house is constructed of brick, it is practically fire proof. The cookery of this hotel is well known in Dunedin, and the number of daily visitors at luncheon and dinner proves that the dining room is a feature of the establishment. The bar, which is separated from the main portion of the hotel, has a reputation for the quality of its liquors and cigars. The domestic arrangements are under the personal supervision of Mrs Keligher, one of the most popular landladies in Dunedin.

Mr. P. Keligher Is a New Zealand colonist of over forty years' standing, and came from Australia to the gold rush in 1863. He began business as a licensed victualler in the European Hotel in George Street, and in 1877 took possession of the “Crown.” It was then a small wooden building, but, the business progressing with the growth of the city, it is now a handsome structure, and one of the leading and favourite hotels of Dunedin.

Excelsior Hotel (Roderick Mackenzie, proprietor), corner of Dowling and Princes Streets, Dunedin. This handsome hostelry occupies a conspicuous position in the centre of the city, and is within three minutes' walk of the railway station, post and telegraph offices. Notwithstanding the fact that the hotel is comparatively a new building, it page 318 was found necessary, recently, to extend the premises to provide additional accommodation. The hotel now contains fifty rooms, well furnished and properly equipped, and may claim to be an up-to-date commercial and family hotel. There is a well-lighted reading and commercial room, with a number of combined American writing desks and secretaries, easy chairs, files of the leading newspapers, and writing and corresponding conveniences. A private sitting room, set apart for ladies, contains, among its attractive furnishings, a Brinsmead piano, music stands, writing desks, and couches and cushions. Luxurious bridal chambers, exquisitely furnished, adjoin private sitting rooms equipped to match. The bedrooms are furnished with mirrored wardrobes, chests of drawers, and other furnishings, manufactured from the special designs of the proprietor. To show the careful study that has been given to details, each bed, in addition to the customary wire-woven spring mattress, is provided with specially-designed felt rugs, which prevent the remotest danger from dampness. There are bathrooms and lavatories on each floor, and throughout the entire house there are fire-house appliances, placed in conspicuous positions, for use in cases of emergency. Every provision for escape in case of fire has also been carefully attended to; and iron gangways and iron stairways lead from the window to the ground. Privacy for the residential portion of the building is secured by a private entrance from Dowling Street. The dining room, which is a large, handsome apartment, is liberally patronised by city business men; and this is ample evidence of a well-kept table.

Mr. Roderick Mckenzie was born in the Highlands of Scotland in the year 1856. He was brought up to agricultural and pastoral pursuits, and came out to Victoria in 1881, arriving in New Zealand three years later. Since settling in Otago, Mr. MacKenzie has been landlord of the Rising Sun Hotel for three and a half years, of the Caledonian Hotel for over a year, and purchased the Farmers' Arms at Balclutha shortly before the passing of the prohibition vote. In 1894, Mr. MacKenzie entered into possession of the Oban Hotel, whence he removed to the “Excelsior” in 1900. He is an enthusiastic member of the Caledonian Society, of which he is a vice-president, and acts as a judge of dancing and bagpipe music. He is also a chieftain of the Dunedin Gaelic Society. As a member of the Order of Foresters, he is attached to Court Pride of Dunedin, and as a Freemason he is a deputy-steward of Lodge Celtic No. 477, S.C. Mr. McKenzie was married in 1889 to a daughter of Mr. T. Race, of Kaitangata, and has three sons and one daughter.

The Gladstone Hotel (John Collins, proprietor), Maclaggan Street, Dunedin.
Gladstone Hotel.

Gladstone Hotel.

Tele- page 319 phone 63. This hotel is a handsome brick and cement building, erected in 1878 to replace the old wooden hotel known as the “Scandinavian.” It has a commercial room, reading room, and dining room on the ground floor, and the dining room is a fine apartment, with seats for sixty guests. On the first floor there are several handsomely furnished sitting rooms, a ladies' drawing room, a smoking room, and several large airy bedrooms. The second storey is taken up with bedrooms, single and double. Bathrooms, with hot and cold water, and lavatories, are conveniently placed on each storey. Great pains have been taken to make escape easy in case of fire, and balconies with concrete floors have been erected on each storey. The whole house is furnished with a view to comfort, and the hotel enjoys the patronage of many country visitors and the travelling public. Mr. Collins is a connoisseur in liquors, and his bar and cellars are stocked with the best wines, spirits, and cigars in Dunedin. The hotel is centrally situated near the Post Office, banks and other public buildings, the Roslyn cable tram, and city electric trams.

Mr. John Collins , Proprietor of the Gladstone Hotel, is a native of Ireland, and came to New Zealand by the “Christian McCausland” in 1873. He began business as a licensed victualler in the George Hotel, Port Chalmers, and after four years sold out and bought the Pelichet Bay Hotel, which he subsequently let, to take possession of the “Gladstone,” which now enjoys the reputation of being one of the most comfortable and popular hotels in Dunedin. Mr. Collins has always taken a great interest in social matters. He is an ardent and well known bowler, a member of the Dunedin Jockey Club and the Caledonian Society, and has won several trophies at the Caledonian games.

Mr. Collins is married, and has, surviving, a family of six.

The Grand Hotel (Joseph A. Ainge, proprietor), corner of Princes and High Streets, Dunedin. Telephone 537. P.O. Box 96. This hotel, which cost over £40,000, takes rank as one of the finest houses in the Southern Hemisphere and occupies a commanding site, in the business centre of Dunedin, within a minute's walk of the Post Office, Bank of New Zealand, railway station and wharf. The building is constructed of stone and concrete, and contains five floors, exclusive of the basement. The chief entrance is from High Street, by handsome glass folding doors, through which visitors pass into the central hall or vestibule, with its beautiful mosaic floor and decorated glass dome. The ground floor accommodates the offices, the public bar with its entrance from Princes Street, a large commercial room, with space for one hundred persons, two luggage rooms, a beautifully decorated private bar, and a most commodious and comfortable smoking and writing room, which is supplied with the best current literature of the day. Guests have a choice of ascending by a fine stairway, or by the powerful Otis elevator, which communicates with the various floors of the house, to the gallery which surrounds the hall on the first floor. This gallery is used as a lounge by lady visitors. The dining room is a palatial apartment, capable of seating one hundred guests. Its cornices and panels are exquisitely decorated. When the room is fully laid out for half-past six o'clock dinner it presents a truly sumptuous appearance. A serving pantry, which opens into the dining hall, communicates with the kitchen, where a first-rate master cook is helped in his important duties by several experienced assistants. This floor has a large private writing and smoking room for the use of visitors only, and also a beautifully furnished drawing room, from the windows of which guests have a full view of the traffic of the main thoroughfare. There are also several suites, each with its sitting room and bedrooms, on this flat. The second and third floors contain the bedrooms. On each of these floors there are two bath rooms, with hot and cold water, and shower connections. The whole hotel is furnished with a degree of luxury and taste seldom seen except in the leading hotels of Europe. Two beer cellars and a large wine cellar are in the basement, and are stocked with the best and most expensive brands of wines, liquors, and cigars; indeed Mr. Ainge has a colonial reputation for these, and his stock is the largest connected with any hotel in the colonies. The building is considered to be as nearly as possible perfectly fire-proof, and insurance companies regard it as one of the best risks in the colonies. Every advantage has been taken by the architect in its construction to provide easy ways of escape in case of fire. The total number of rooms is 110, of which seventy are bedrooms. The bars, which are separated from the main portion of the hotel, are supplied with only the best liquors, wines and cigars. The “Grand” is one of the oldest established hotels in Dunedin, but the present building was erected about 1880. It is a favourite house with tourists, and has been patronised by His Excellency the Governor and suite. Altogether, the appointments, cookery, and general management of the Grand Hotel entitle it to a prominent place amongst Australian hotels of the first order.

Grand Hotel.

Grand Hotel.

Mr. Joseph A. Ainge , Proprietor of the Grand Hotel, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and educated at Daniel Stewart's Institution, one of the Merchant Company's Colleges. He was for five years engaged in mercantile life in Leith. Subsequently he spent two years in London, and after his arrival in New Zealand was for twelve years employed in the popular service of the Union Steam Ship Company. In 1890 Mr. Ainge retired from that service and purchased a hotel in Port Chalmers; but some time afterwards lost his license through reduction. For eighteen months he carried on the Pier Hotel at Dunedin, but sold out his interest to purchase the Seacliff Hotel, which he also sold after six years of prosperous management. In 1901 he took possession of the Grand Hotel. Mr. Ainge is married, and Mrs Ainge superintends the domestic portion of the establishment. There is a family of two sons, who at present (1904) are studying at the Waitaki High School, near Oamaru.

The Oban Hotel (Alexander Gray, proprietor), corner of Stuart Street and the Octagon, Dunedin. This long established and popular hotel is named after the town of Oban in Argyleshire, Scotland. It is a two-storey brick building of twenty-five rooms, including sitting-rooms, commercial and private parlours, and numerous well furnished bedrooms. An iron balcony surrounds the Stuart Street side of the building, affording escape in case of fire. The hotel, which has long been patronised by country visitors, is in the very heart of the city, within a few minutes' walk of the new railway station and page 320 Law Courts; the city tram passes within a few yards of the door, and the Kaikorai tram is also within easy distance. The bar is isolated from the rest of the establishment, and is supplied with the choicest brands of whiskies, wines, and cigars.

Mr. Alexander Gray , The Proprietor, Is Ably Assisted By Mrs Gray. He Is Further Referred To In Connection With The Dunedin Pipe Band.

Wain's Hotel (Water Binsted, proprietor), Princes and Manse Streets, Dunedin. Telephone, 1107. P.O. Box 219. This high class hotel is a very imposing building of stone and brick, with frontages to Princes and Manse Streets, and occupies the block between these two streets. The Princes Street portion is five stories in height, and the Manse Street frontage three stories. The ground floor next Princes Street is occupied by the private bar and other offices, with the approach to the dining room and commercial room. Several private sitting rooms are situated on the first floor which is reached by a broad staircase of easy ascent; and similar stairs lead to the second, third, and fourth stories. The commercial and reading room is a large, luxuriously furnished apartment, overlooking the busy thoroughfare of Princes Street. On the same floor there are several private sitting rooms, with pleasant outlooks to the city and harbour; also a finely proportioned dining room, capable of accommodating from seventy to eighty guests, and a large billiard room, well lighted from the roof, and supplied with two billiard tables. The second and third stories are taken up chiefly by bedrooms. From the second and third stories an unsurpassed view of the city, harbour, and peninsula, with the Pacific Ocean in the distance, is obtained. The new portion of the hotel, facing Manse Street, contains bedrooms, sitting rooms and a waiting room. There are bath rooms and lavatories on each flat, with hot and cold water and shower connections. The bedrooms are supplied with electric bells, and nearly every bedroom has the luxury of a fire place. The house contains about eighty rooms. “Wain's” has long been regarded as one of the leading houses in the Australasian colonies, and is furnished with a luxury, and managed with an ability worthy of its reputation. Tourists from all parts of the globe frequent “Wain's”, which is also held in high favour by country families. The bars, in both Princes Street and Manse Street, are separated from the other portions of the hotel, and are supplied with only the choicest liquors and cigars. The building, which was erected at a cost of over £30,000, is designed and finished with the object of making it as near fire proof as possible, and every facility is provided for escape in case of fire. The hotel is an architectural ornament to the city, and for comfort and good management is surpassed by no other hotel in the colonies
Wain's Hotel.

Wain's Hotel.