The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Accountants, Auctioneers, Etc
Accountants, Auctioneers, Etc.
“Mutual Help” Terminating Building Society and the Otago Traders' Protection Society.
Andrew, Robert , Mining Agent, Government Life Insurance Buildings, Princes Street, Dunedin. Born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1839, and educated at Dalry in the same county. Mr. Andrew was brought up as an engineer and millwright in the Old Land, and landed in Auckland in the ship “Egmont” (Captain Gibson), during the year 1859. Soon after, he was attracted to Otago by the gold-rush to Gabriel's Gully, and in 1865 he was one of the three persons who opened out Bruce Bay on the west coast of the South Island—for mining. Meeting with success Mr. Andrew has since speculated in mining lines. At one time he was half owner with Messrs. Guthrie and Larnach of one of the largest saw mills–which was at Catlin's River—in the South Island. Subsequently he became an inventor and secured patent rights, with which he went to India, and was successful. After having returned to New Zealand, Mr. Andrew then went to England, where he was for some time engaged in developing his patents. In 1896, he was required by his principals to come to New Zealand and look out for mining investments. In the early days he took part in local politics in connection with road boards and school committees, but declined to offer himself for more important positions. He married in April, 1869, a daughter of Mr. Robert Moore, timber merchant, of London, and has two daughters and one son.
Mr. R. Andrew.
Begg, Alexander Campbell , J. P., Accountant, Stock and Station Agent, Land and Sheepowner, Provincial and Industrial Insurance Buildings, Cumberland Street South, Dunedin. Telephone, 250. P.O. Box, 179. Bankers. Union Bank of Australia, Private residence, Roslyn. Mr. Begg is further referred to as a member of the Otago Harbour Board.
Brown, James, and Co. , Importers and General Agents, Bond Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 238. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Leith Street. This business, which was established by the present proprietor, in 1890, extends through New Zealand, and periodical trips are made by representatives of the firm. Messrs Brown and Co. execute indents and receive consignments for realization, and are also importers of special lines. Mr. Brown, who is a Fellow of the Institute of Accountants of New Zealand, acts as secretary for the Commercial Travellers' and Warehousemen's Association; and for twenty-four years has held the position of secretary to the Hand and Heart Lodge M.U.I.O O.F. He is auditor to the Commercial Property and Finance Co., Ltd., the Union Steamship Co.'s Benefit Society, Speight and Co., Limited, New Zealand Coal and Oil Co., Limited (Kaitangata Coal Co.), W. Strachan and Co., Limited, the Dunedin Starr-Bowkett Society, and several others. He is also a director of the New Zealand Express Co., Ltd. Born in 1858 in Dunedin, where he was educated at district and private schools, Mr. Brown was apprenticed to Messrs Lange and Thoneman. Subsequently he was for nine years with Messrs Neill Bros. After a trip to England in 1888, he returned to the Colony in the following year, when he entered into his present business.
Brugh, John Barnet , Accountant and Mining Agent, 1 Moray Place, Dunedin. Telephone, 1431. Post Office Box, 357. Mr. Brugh is the second son of the late Mr. James Brugh, sometime of Port Molyneux. He represents the following dredging claims: the New Bendigo and New River, Molyneux (Alexandra), the Olrig (Manuherikia), the Garden Gully (Waikaka), and the El Dorado (West Coast).
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. B. Brugh.
Esther, George , Financial Agent, Bill Broker, Accountant and Valuer, 95 Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 709. P.O. Box, 332. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, “Te Tarata,” Royal Terrace. Mr. Esther was born in Morpeth, in the north of England, in 1844, and was educated at the High School of Linlithgow, Scotland, his father being an excise officer in that town. He was brought up to the grocery business in Haddington, where he remained for four years, and came out to Melbourne in 1859. Some years later he arrived in Otago, settling in Dunedin, where he was employed as a grocer till 1868. In that year he went to Fiji, but returned after eight months' absence, and took a situation at his trade in George Street. Twelve months later he bought out his employers, and from 1870 to 1882 was the senior partner of the well-known firm of Esther and Son, doing a very large trade. Mr. Esther was a representative of Leith Ward in the Dunedin City Council for three years, and took an interest in the Athenæum in the early days. In mining matters, he has a large connection, and is a director of several companies. He is a member of the Freemasons, having been initiated under the Scotch Constitution. In 1873 Mr. Esther was married to a daughter of Mr. F. Thompson, of Dudley, and has, surviving, five daughters and two sons.
Fea, D. M., and Co. , Auctioneers, Valuators, and Land and Estate Agents. Rattray Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 822. This business, which was established in 1901, is conducted in the large premises formerly known as the Shamrock Hotel. The whole ground floor space is occupied by the main auction rooms, with commercial offices, both private and public, leading from it. The first floor, which is approached by a broad staircase, is devoted to show rooms, where the firm displays a varied assortment of new and second-hand furniture, besides a large stock of other household requisites. Weekly sales of land and general merchandise are held in the Rattray Street premises, and the firm also conducts large stock and land sales in the country.
Mr. D. M. Fea.
Fox, Charles James , Sharebroker and General Commission Agent, Australian Mutual Provident Society's Building (first floor), Princes Street, Dunedin. Bankers. Union Bank of Australia. Private residence. “Colinswood,” Macandrew's Bay, North East Harbour. Agents: London. Messrs. Cornforth and Reacher. 4 Queen Victoria Street, E.C.; Melbourne, Mr. Stanhope O'Connor, 90 Queen Street; Sydney, Messrs. G. B. North and Sons, Post Office Buildings, Pitt Street; Adelaide, Mr. Frank A. Russell, Alma Chambers, McHendry Street; Hobart, Messrs. Bayley and Walch. Mr. Fox, who is a member of the Dunedin Stock Exchange, has agents on the various goldfields of New Zealand, as well as in the chief centres of population. He deals in all descriptions of investments and mining stocks and shares. He was born in Dublin, in 1870, and educated in England, and was brought up with a view to service in the Army; but, going to sea, served an apprenticeship with the Shaw, Savill and Albion Company, and afterwards became third officer under the Peninsular and Oriental Company. After about ten years at sea, he came out to Wellington, New Zealand, by the S.S. “Gothic,” and established his business in Dunedin early in 1895. Mr. Fox is married, and has one daughter.
Mr. F. Graham.
Graham, Thomas Sherlock , J.P., Public Accountant, Auditor, and Arbitrator, Temple Chambers, 99 Princes Street, Dunedin; Telephone, 1473; Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Graham, who has been well known in the Colony for many years, was born in Ireland, and educated at a collegiate school in the South of Ireland. He commenced his business experience as a clerk in the Provincial Bank. After several years' service in the city of Cork, he was appointed to the Union Bank of Australia and came out to Melbourne in 1862. After some banking experience in Victoria, he was sent to Dunedin as an expert during the gold “rush,” and remained with the Bank for a few years, when he joined the firm of Bing, Harris and Co., first as manager of the business, and subsequently as partner, and as such successfully conducted the business for many years. In 1879, Mr. Graham severed his connection with the firm and joined Mr. R. A. Low in the old established firm of Heymanson, Low and Co., wholesale boot and shoe importers, and on the closing up of that firm, about 1892, he started his present business. Mr. Graham undertakes auditing and public accountancy work, as well as arbitration and general commission agency business. He is auditor for the Dunedin city council, Caversham gasworks, and for a great many important private firms. He was chairman of the Chamber of Commerce. For some years he interested himself in cricket, and is now president of the Dunedin cricket club. Mr. Graham was vice-president of the Dunedin athenæum and mechanics' institution, a trustee of the Benevolent Institution for some time, and now holds office as secretary of the United Districts charitable aid board, and of the hospital board. On the initiation of the Union Insurance (now Alliance) Company, Mr. Graham was managing director in Dunedin. He has interested himself in the volunteer movement, and was captain of the Dunedin Irish Rifles for some time. As a member of the Masonic Order E.C., he is district grand master of Otago and Southland; he has held that position since 1881, and is a member of several private lodges; also district grand master for the South Island of the Mark degree E.C., member of the veterans' association San Francisco, and a 330 under the Supreme Council of Scotland. He was married in 1874 to a daughter of Mr. C. H. Kettle, who surveyed and laid out Dunedin in 1846; this lady died in 1876, leaving one daughter. Mr. Graham, in 1888, married a daughter of Mr. Low and has, issue of this marriage, two sons and one daughter.
Mr. H. Guthrie.
Mr. C. W. Harvey.
Holsted, William , Legal Manager of Mining Companies, and General Commission Agent, 17 High Street, Dunedin. Mr. Holsted is referred to on page 1035 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia. He was born in Denmark, and studied dairying under the Royal Agricultural Society of his native land. While in the North Island of New Zealand he was engaged in farming, and also in managing, successively, various dairy factories. Mr Holsted was for some time Vice-Consul for Denmark, and Acting Consul for Sweden and Norway, in Dunedin.
Logan And Vivian (John Logan and Wilfrid Vivian), Sharebrokers and Financial Agents, Australian Mutual Provident Society's Building (first floor), Princes Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 786. P.O. Box, 242. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Logan, St. Leonards, West Harbour; Mr. Vivian, 47 Stuart Street. Mr. Logan and Mr. Vivian are members of the Dunedin Stock Exchange.
McLeod Gunn and Co. (Neil McLeod Gunn), Sharebrokers, Accountants and Commission Agents, Temple Chambers, 99 Princes Street, Dunedin; Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand; Private residence, Hanover Street, Accountancy and auditing work are the chief lines of this business, and the firm undertakes to open, post, and balance books. Mr. Gunn was born in Dunedin in 1867, and was educated at the Normal School and the University of Otago. He entered the Bank of New Zealand in Dunedin, was ledger-keeper for about two years at Kaiapoi, and was transferred thence to the Christchurch branch. where he remained for some time. Leaving the bank in 1888, Mr. Gunn studied medicine at the University of Otago for two years, and in 1894 entered into his present business. Mr. Gunn is a member of the Dunedin Stock Exchange. He was married in 1891.
Paterson, N. And E. S. (Nathaniel and Edward S. Paterson), Licensed Surveyors, Land and Sharebrokers. Valuators, Estate and Financial Agents, and Accountants. Head office, Stafford Chambers, 73 Princes Street, Dunedin. Branch office, Mornington. Telephone: head office, 33; Mornington, 1712. Private addresses: Mr. N. Paterson, 363 Castle Street, Mr. E. Paterson. Wharenui, Roslyn. This business was established in 1899, and has already advanced to a leading position. The senior partner, who has had a large experience as a surveyor and civil engineer, has executed numerous large and important surveys throughout the South Island, and is at present (1904) engaged in the survey of the well known Acton estate, near Rakaia, Canterbury, for subdivision into farms for closer settlement. The firm collects rents, acts as attorneys for absentees, and advises as to properties for investment.
Mr. Edward S. Paterson , Licensed Share and Land Broker, Manager of the Land and Estate Department of the firm, was born in New Zealand and finished his education under his father. On leaving school he received a thorough commercial training for fourteen years, being interested in Messrs Paterson and Barr's large ironmongery warehouse. In 1899 he joined his brother in partnership. Mr. Paterson is a member of the Dunedin Stock Exchange and a licensed land broker.
Phillips, Alfred E. , Commission Agent, Rattray Street, Dunedin. Mr. Phillips was born in England, and came to New Zealand in 1897. He joined the London Rifle Brigade in 1892, and left with the rank of corporal in 1897. After his arrival in New Zealand Mr. Phillips became a member of the North Dunedin Rifles, and retired in 1899 with the rank of sergeant. In 1903 he joined the Wakari Cadet Corps as lieutenant, but resigned towards the end of the same year. Mr. Phillips carries on a successful business page 275 as commission agent in Rattray Street, Dunedin.
Mr. K. Ramsay.
Reeves and Co. (Charles Stephen Reeves, J.P., F.I.A.N.Z.), Accountants and Commission Agents, Perpetual Trustees Buildings, Vogel Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 282. P.O. Box, 296. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Main Road, North East Valley. This business was established in 1863 by the present proprietor, who is more fully referred to as an ex-mayor of Dunedin on another page of this volume. Mr. Reeves and his son, Mr. Lawford Godfrey Reeves, now constitute the firm. They are auditors for several companies and are managers and secretaries for the following companies:—Alpine New Zealand Gold Dredging Company, Limited; Clyde Colleries Company, Limited; Cromwell Proprietary Gold Mining Company. Limited; Dunedin Garrison Hall Trustees; Enterprise Gold Dredging Company, Limited; First Chance Gold Dredging Company, Limited; Great Central Gold Dredging Company, Limited; New Alpine Consols Gold Dredging Company, Limited; New Gibston Gold Dredging Company, Limited; New Halfway House Gold Dredging Company, Limited.
Reid, Donald, and Co. (Donald Reid and Hon. T. Fergus), Auctioneers, Stock and Station Agents, Grain, Produce, and Wool Brokers, Vogel, Cumberland, and Jetty Streets, Dunedin. Telephone, 120. P.O. Box, 289. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Reid, Salisbury, North Taieri; Hon. T. Fergus, Royal Terrace. This well known firm was founded by the senior partner in 1878, Mr. Fergus joining in 1892. The magnificent two storey brick building occupied by the firm, covers half an acre of land, and is utilised for wool, grain, and other produce, as well as for auction sales, the offices being on the second floor. The trade of the firm is mainly with settlers, and extends throughout Otago. Mr. Reid is referred to at page 72 of the Wellington volume of this work, and at page 86 of the present volume; and Mr. Fergus at page 119 of this volume and pages 83–84 of the Wellington volume.
Reid, William , Accountant, Land, Estate, and Commission Agent, 27 Rattray Street, Dunedin; Telephone, 179; Bankers, Bank of New Zealand; Private residence, Russell Street. This gentleman has been well known in Dunedin business circles for the past forty years, during thirteen of which he was a partner in the printing firm of Mills, Dick and Co. Mr. Reid, who established his present business in 1891, undertakes the sale and purchase of city and country properties throughout Otago, and acts as financial agent generally, apart from his duties as an accountant and auditor. He is secretary of the Otago Caledonian Society, and is more fully referred to as grand secretary of the Grand Lodge of Oddfellows of New Zealand.
Mr. C. H. Statham.
Stronach, Morris and Co. (Arthur C. Stronach, and Crosby Morris), Auctioneers, Woolbrokers, Stock and Station Agents, Crawford, Police, and Vogel Streets, Dunedin. Telephone 356. P.O. Box, 378. Telegraphic address. “Stronach,” Dunedin. Private residences; Mr. Arthur C. Stronach, St. page 277 Clair; Mr. Crosby Morris, Littlebourne. This business was established in 1888 by Messrs Donald Stronach and Sons, by whom it was conducted till 1891, when it was altered to Stronach Bros, and Morris, and in 1903 the present proprietors became possessed of the firm. The premises owned and occupied by Messrs Stronach. Morris and Co. stand on four Harbour Board sections, in all about half an acre in extent. The ground is covered by a single storey brick building, which has recently been enlarged. The building is fitted with sky-lights so as to display wool to the best advantage prior to the periodical sales which number about half a dozen in the season, and take place at the Agricultural Hall during the months of December, January, February, and March. The offices of the firm are situated at the corner of Vogel and Police Streets. Weekly sales are held as follows: Mondays, rabbit skins; Tuesdays, sheep skins, at the Agricultural Hall; fat stock at Burnside on Wednesdays; private sales when required, and country stock sales as opportunity offers. Messrs Stronach, Morris and Co., being stock and station agents, have a good variety of pastoral properties on their books from which clients may select. They also act for non-resident owners, undertaking the supervision and management of estates, and have the following agencies: “Toxa” rabbit and bird poisons, Ness' sheep dip, Murton's sheep dip, Davies' patent detective tattoo ear-marker, Page's patent wire-coiling and running-out machines, and Lambert's patent wool-washing boxes.
Mr. Arthur C. Stronach was born in Tasmania, in 1860, and came to New Zealand with his parents during his second year. He was educated at the Otago Boys' High School, where his partner also received his education. Brought up to life on a sheep station, he gained practical experience before entering into business.
Mr. Crosby Morris was born in 1867 in the city of Dunedin, and was with the Otago and Southland Investment Company before becoming associated with the firm. He has long been connected with the volunteers, and at present holds a position as captain in the Active List, to which he was transferred on resigning the command of the Otago Hussars in 1903.
Thompson, Thomas Henry, F.N.Z.A.A. , Public Accountant, Joel's Buildings, Crawford Street, Dunedin. Mr. Thompson was born at Toowoomba. Queensland, and educated at St. Joseph's College, Brisbane. For three years he served in the office of a Custom House agent, and then joined the service of Messrs Hoffming and Co., general merchants, Brisbane, which he left to join the Railway Traffic Department of the Queensland Government. Not relishing this class of work, however, he resigned his appointment to enter the service of Messrs Benjamin Bros., general merchants, Brisbane, and, on this firm ceasing operations five years later, he went to Sydney and subsequently started business there on his own account. In 1893, hearing excellent reports of New Zealand, he came to Otago, and shortly after his arrival was appointed to investigate and adjust several lengthy partnership and company accounts, which occupied about four years. On the completion of this work he entered the employment of Messrs Cook and Gray, accountants, at Invercargill, and acted as their branch accountant during the Ward and Guthrie liquidations, being afterwards transferred to their Dunedin branch, where he managed the head office work of the Madgeburg Insurance Company for two years. In 1900 Mr. Thompson started business on his own account as a public accountant. The New Zealand Manual of Accountancy and Commercial Law is published under the joint authorship of Mr. Thompson and Mr. P. S. K. Macassey, solicitor, Dunedin. Mr. Thompson is local secretary and a member of the Council of the New Zealand Accountants' and Auditors' Association.
Turnbull, Martin and Co. (Edward Martin), Steamship Owners and Shipping Agents, Dunedin. Head Office, 112 Fenchureh Street, London. Branch office, 8 Gordon Street, Glasgow, Chief office for Australasia, New Zealand Insurance Company's Buildings (first floor), Rattray Street, Dunedin. Manager for Australasia, Mr. W. A. Moore, Telephone 55, P.O. Box, 366. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Hawthorn Avenue, Mornington. Cable address, “Shire,” Dunedin, Codes, Watkins' and private. Messrs Turnbull, Martin and Co. are the owners of the Shire line of steamships—“Fifeshire,” “Morayshire,” “Nairnshire,” “Perthshire,” “Buteshire,” “Banffshire,” and “Ayrshire”—which make monthly trips between Queensland, New Zealand ports, and London. Messrs Turnbull, Martin and Co. hold contracts for shipping 3000 tons of frozen meat per month to London, from Townsville, Brisbane, and Rockhampton. Having taken on board all available cargo in Queensland, the Shire “liners” call at New Zealand ports, filling up with meat, wool, dairy produce, etc., and usually make their final departure from Port Chalmers.
Mr. William Alexander Moore , the Manager for Messrs Turnbull, Martin and Co. for Australasia, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1860. He was educated in his native place, was brought up to the shipping trade, and joined his present firm as a junior in 1876. After serving eight years in Glasgow—the last four as manager—Mr. Moore came out to the colonies in 1885 to organise the service. The first vessel to load frozen meat in New Zealand was the “Elderslie”—so named after Mr. Martin's residence, and the station of Mr. John Reid, of Oamaru, for whom she loaded her cargo at Oamaru in 1885.
Mr. W. A. Moore.
Washer, A., and Co. , Auctioneers and General Estate and Insurance Agents, High Street, Roslyn, Dunedin. Telephone, 1376; Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This successful business was established by Mr. Washer in 1892, as a land agency, and the auctioneering and insurance departments have since been added. The premiess are large and are conveniently situated near the Kaikoura cable and electric trams. Large sales are held fortnightly on the premises. Mr. Washer is further referred to as Captain of the Wakari Rifle Volunteers.
Waters, Ritchie and Co. (John Biggar Waters, Thomas Thompson Ritchie, junior, and —. Scoular), Auctioneers, Grain and Produce Brokers, 55 Crawford Street. Dunedin. This firm was established in November, 1903, and occupies a single storey brick and plaster building, erected for the purpose. It possesses two suites of offices and a large storeroom. Messrs Waters, Ritchie and Co. do a considerable amount of buying and selling in all lines, but chiefly in New Zealand produce, in connection with which they hold a prominent place amongst city houses.
Mr. John Biggar Waters , Of Messrs Waters, Ritchie and Co., was born in the Clutha district in 1866, and is the son of the Rev. John Waters, a Presbyterian minister. He was educated at the district school at Warepa and at the Otago Boys' High School, and subsequently spent fifteen years with the firm of Messrs Murray, Roberts and Co., for whom, latterly, he had charge of the sales department for New Zealand produce. He left that firm to take up an appointment as salesman and travelling representative to Messrs A. S. Paterson and Co., and for seven or eight months he represented his firm in South Africa. Mr. Waters was afterwards appointed manager of the firm of Messrs A. Mortizson and Co., and held that post till November, 1903, when he resigned to enter into partnership with Messrs Ritchie and Scoular. He is secretary for the Catlins River Railway League.
Mr. Thomas Thompson Ritchie , Junior, one of the members of the firm of Waters, Ritchie and Co., is the only son of Mr. Thomas Thompson Ritchie, who is page 278 noticed elsewhere as a former member of the Dunedin City Council. He was born at Switzers, in Otago, in 1870, and educated at the Balclutha public school, and afterwards at the Otago Boys' High School, where he spent six years. On leaving school he entered the service of Messrs Donald Reid and Co., and two years later joined the Farmers' Agency Company, Limited, now known as the National Mortgage and Agency Company, Limited. He remained with the Farmers' Agency eight years, and became head salesman in the produce department. In 1896 he accepted an appointment as suctioneer with the firm of Messrs Moritzson and Hopkins, now known as Messrs A. Moritzson and Co. He joined Messrs Waters and Scoular in November, 1903, in forming the firm of Waters, Ritchie and Co. Mr. Ritchie is a member of the executive committee of the Otago Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and he is also connected as an ex-member with the Otago Cricket Association.
Mr. —. Scoular , the third partner in the firm, was formerly in the employment of Messrs Kempthorne, Prosser and Co.
Mr. R. T. Wheeler.
Wills, William , Commission Agent, 1 Crawford Street, Dunedin. The personal biography of Mr. Wills appears under the Dunedin Choral Society, of which he is president.
Wright, Stephenson and Co. (James Armour Johnstone. William Duffus Hunt, and Philip Lowery Wright), Wool and Grain Brokers. Stock and Station Agents, Land and Estate Agents, Auctioneers, Agricultural Seed and Artificial Manure Merchants, Dunedin, Invercargill, Gore. Kelso, and Balfour, with branches throughout Otago and Southland. Head office, High Street, Dunedin; Wool and Grain Warehouses, and Horse Sale Yards, High and Maclaggan Streets; Railway Wool and Grain Stores, Cumberland Street; Artificial Manure Store. Jetty Street Wharf, Dunedin. Agencies: Managers in New Zealand for the New Zealand Agricultural Company's Waimea estate; agents in the South Island for Robertson's (Oban) celebrated “Highland” sheep-dip; sole proprietors of the “Challenge” brand agricultural seeds and artificial manures; agents for Coral Queen and Lady Elliot Island guanos, etc. This firm commenced business in Dunedin in the year 1861, under the style of Wright, Robertson and Co. Mr. Stephenson joined two years later, and in 1868, upon the retirement of Mr. Robertson, its present title was assumed. In the business of stock and station agents, etc., it is one of the oldest established houses in New Zealand, and has extensive trade relations not only in Otago and Southland, but all over New Zealand and in Australia, America, and Great Britain. The firm makes advances on wool, whether for sale locally or for shipment to London, and its name is conspicuous as occupying a leading position at the annual sales held in Dunedin and Invercargill. Messrs Wright, Stephenson and Co. conduct regular auction sales of sheepskins and rabbitskins, hides, tallow, grain, etc., at their warehouses; of fat and store cattle, sheep, and pigs, at Burnside; and of horses at their own bazaars in Dunedin and Gore, every Saturday. Periodical auctions sales of stock are also held by them at the following centres; Gore, Balfour, Waikaka, Wallacetown. Wairio, Ctautau, Thornbury, Woodlands, Winton, Riversdale, Wyndham, Fortrose, Balclutha, Blacks, Becks, Wedderburn, Roughridge, Waipiata, Kyeburn, Shag Valley, Palmerston, etc. Displenishing sales are held by arrangement. The senior member of the firm is the local director of the London and Lancashire Fire Insurance Company, of the Indemnity Mutual Marine Assurance Company, Limited, and a director of the New Zealand Hardware Company, Limited.