Chemists And Druggists.
, Chemist and Druggist, 4 George Street, Dunedin; Telephone 281; Private residence, Cargill Street.
This is an old established business, having been founded in 1874, by the late Mr. B. Bagley, senior. In 1881, Mr. Bagley, senior, retired from the firm of Messrs B. Bagley and Son, and continued the business in this establishment, in which he was succeeded ten years later by his son, the present proprietor. Mr. Alexander Bagley was born in Victoria in 1861, and was brought to Dunedin by his parents in the following year. He was educated at private schools, was under the late Mr. Angus MacGregor, M.A., and also at the Otago Boys' High School. He served an apprenticeship as a surveyor and civil engineer, and followed the profession for nine years. At the conclusion o this period he decided to study the business of a chemist and druggist, served a term with his father, and passed his examination in April, 1889, receiving a certificate as a registered chemist in July of the same year. After acting as manager of the present business for two years, he became the proprietor. In 1899 he was elected for three years as one of the two members who represent Otago and Southland on the New Zealand Pharmacy Board, and was re-elected for a further term of two years in 1902. Mr. Bagley is a member of the Masonic Order, and Past Master of Lodge Dunedin, No. 931, E.C. He is one of the old members of the Dunedin cycling club, and takes a general interest in athletics. Mr. Bagley was married in 1882 to a daughter of the late Mr. J. A. Schott, R.A.M.L. of Hobart, and has two sons (one of whom, Mr. Hugh A. Bagley, is a chemist by examination) and four daughters.
Bagley, B. And Son
, Chemists and Druggists, 323 Great King Street, and 123 and 28 George Street, Dunedin. This is one of the oldest existing pharmacies in the colony, and it is well known from one end of New Zealand to the other. Of the three shops now conducted by the firm, that at 123 George Street is the oldest. It was established in the early sixties by the late Mr. B. Bagley, near the present premises. Later on it was removed to the opposite side of the street, where it was conducted till July, 1900, when the present large two storey building was procured. For size, cleanliness, and freshness of appearance general arrangement and management this pharmacy is one of the foremost in the colony. The stock is exceedingly large and comprises every class of remedy known to the profession, and everything required for the toilet, as well as many subsidiary lines, and a handsome display is made in a large plate-glass window. The Great King Street branch was opened about 1878, and is now the most popular pharmacy in the north end of the city. It occupies the fore part of a handsome two storey wooden building, part of which is used as a residence by Mr. R. P. Bagley. The third shop—that at 28 George Street—was founded in 1898, and though smaller than either of the other two, it is a well arranged and well kept pharmacy. It is managed by Mr. Raymond—who has been connected with the profession for many years in Dunedin—and the other two shops are managed by Mr. Bagley's two eldest sons, while Mr. Bagley himself supervises the whole. The firm's turnover is perhaps larger than that of any other firm of its kind in the city, and this is largely due to the trust reposed in Mr. Bagley, and to the reputation for reliableness in general dispensing, and in the preparation of prescriptions, justly held by his firm.
Mr. Richard Parker Bagley
, the Proprietor, is the second son of the late Mr. Benjamin Bagley, who is referred to in another article as having been a member of the Dunedin City Council. He was born in Gloucester, England, in April, 1849, and at the age of eleven came to Melbourne by the ship “Red Jacket.” He remained there two years, and in 1862 left in the “Alhambra” for Dunedin. There he completed his education, and in 1869 was apprenticed to his father, whom he joined in partnership in 1874, when the firm was styled Messrs B. Bagley and Son. Seven years later his father retired, and Mr. Bagley became principal of the firm. He holds a high position in his profession, and is much respected. Mr. Bagley has been four times elected a member of the New Zealand Pharmacy Board. on which he occupied a seat from 1886 till 1898. During those twelve years he was examiner in Practical Pharmacy and Dispensary, and supervisor for Otago and Southland in the New Zealand Pharmacy Board's examination. In 1891 he was elected Deputy
Register to the Pharmacy Board, and held that position till 1894. Mr. Bagley was a member of the original Chamber of Commerce in Dunedin, and at the New Zealand
and South Seas Exhibition of 1889–90 he received First Award of Merit for services rendered as a judge. He was married in June, 1876, and has a surviving family of seven. Two of his sons are students at the Otago University; one with a view to the medical profession, and the other is studying chemistry.
Bannister, Sam Spencer
, Chemist and Druggist, Grand Hotel Buildings, High Street, Dunedin; Telephone 227; P.O. Box,
153; Bankers, Union Bank of Australia, Ltd.; Private residence, Leith Street. The business conducted by Mr. Bannister was established by himself in 1882 in premises forming a portion of the ground floor and basement of the above named block. Mr. Bannister is a large importer of drugs, druggists' sundries and toilet requisites. The general style of his establishment is in keeping with the magnificence of the edifice of which it is part. The shop is splendidly fitted up with plate glass show-cases with mirrors, and the stock is up-to-date in every respect. Mr. Bannister does a family and dispensing business solely, and has no proprietary medicines of his own. The experience that he gained in his earlier days under Dr. Whittaker in Dualey Port, England, has been of great service to Mr. Bannister in his business. He was born in 1854, in Tipton, Staffordshire, England, where he was educated, and after three years' experience of the medical profession with the practitioner referred to, decided to go to London, where he had a three years' experience in the drug business. He was subsequently assistant to Messrs. Roberts and Co., in Paris, for five years, and for two years and a half to Messrs Hogg and Co., in the same city. Returning to England, he took a situation in Bath for two years, and came out by the ship “Wave Queen” in 1878 to Wellington, where he was assistant to Mr. Plummer and afterwards to the late Mr. C. D. Barraud. After being for a short time in business on his own account, he went to Tasmania, where he remained for a year. On returning to New Zealand, he settled in Timaru in 1881; and thence he removed to Dunedin and established his present business. Mr. Bannister is a prominent yachtsman and is a member of the Dunedin yacht club, of which he has been vice-commodore, and was some time rear-commodore. Mr. Bannister was married in 1883 to a daughter of Mr. E. G. Lane, chemist, of Oamaru, and has one son and one daughter.
, Chemist and Druggist, corner of Frederick and George Streets, Dunedin; Telephone 368; Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This important business was established more than thirty years ago in Port Chalmers by the late Mr. Elder, who died in 1896. It is now carried on by the son in partnership with the widow. The premises comprise a two-storey stone building, with large show windows and spacious accommodation for the requirements of the trade. The establishment is elegantly fitted up with costly plate glass show cases. There is a complete stock of drugs and druggists' sundries, including toilet goods and patent medicines, which are regularly replenished both by direct importations as well as supplies from local sources. There are a large number of popular proprietary lines amongst which may be named “Broncho,” a remedy for bronchitis, which is in great demand. It is a preparation from a recipe of the late Mr. Elder's, and has been in use for fully thirty years. The late Mr. Elder was born in the Island of Westray, Orkney Islands, in October 1840, and commenced his pharmaceutical work in January, 1855, as an apprentice in Thurso. After serving a term of five years, he became an assistant in one of the largest businesses in the south of Edinburgh,
and subsequently returned to Thurso to take charge of the establishment in which he had been apprenticed. After some experience in London, and again in Edinburgh, where he gained two silver medals in veterinary examinations, he came to Port Chalmers in 1864, and was assistant to the late Mr. J. T. Dodd, Princes Street, Dunedin, with whom he remained till the breaking out of the Hokitika “rush” in 1865. After a short experience on the West Coast goldfields, Mr. Elder established himself in Port Chalmers, where he conducted a large trade till May, 1890, when he purchased the business carried on by Mr. M. Marshall, in George Street, Dunedin. While in Port Chalmers, Mr. Elder was largely interested in whaling and sealing ventures, and was very for truncate in winning ambergris, Mr. Elder was a justice of the peace and visiting justice of the Dunedin gaol, and held a seat on the Otago Education Board for nine years. He was also for some time a member of the Otago Harbour Board. In 1889, he was appointed a member of the Pharmacy Board, and subsequently became the registrar of that body for Otago. Mr. Elder was a director of Messrs. Kempt Horne, Prosser and Co.'s New Zealand drug company, and at the time of his death was president of the Dunedin chess club, vice-president of the North End boating club, president of the Grange cricket club and of the Alhambra football club.
Otago Drug Store
(James Reynolds Haynes, proprietor)—formerly the Otago Drug Store and Dispensing Company, Ltd. (Messrs. Petit and Haynes, managers)—, 96 Princes Street (opposite the Bank of New Zealand), Dunedin. Telephone, 526. Private residence, Stafford Street. This well-known establishment was founded in 1888
Otago Drug Store.
by the late Mr. Edward Petit, in conjunction with the present owner, and carried on in partnership till Mr. Pettit's death on the 20th of August, 1897. After that the goodwill and stock-in-trade were acquired by Mr. Haynes from the company. The premises occupied consist of the ground floor of a substantial brick building, which has a large frontage to Exchange Court. At one time the shop was tenanted by a watchmaker, who had a clock projecting over the entrance door; as the large time-piece was removed from the handsome cast iron frame before Messrs. Petit and Haynes took possession, the frame is now used as a sign, and is illuminated every evening. The shop front is a very fine one, with its noble, plate glass windows, and the general attractiveness of its appearance is enhanced by a choice display of the usual class of goods kept in a first-rate chemist's and druggist's establishment. The Otago Drug Store is also conspicuous in consequence of the front having been painted white and gold with the new “bon accord” paint, which can easily be kept clean, and is not liable to perish to anything like the extent of the ordinary white lead paint. Mr. Haynes is an importer of drugs and druggists' sundries of the finest quality, and holds a large up-to-date stock of toilet and other requisites. The interior of the establishment is elegantly fitted up with plate glass mirrors and show-cases, which display the stock to great advantage. The celebrated “Carbolised Tooth Paste”—a delightful preparation manufactured for years by Mr. Hayne—is one of the special lines sold in the store. It is in demand in most parts of the Colony, its intrinsic merits having secured a considerable trade. Mr. Hayne, the popular proprietor, who is a son of the late Dr. W. R. Hayne, M.D., M.R.C.S., was born in Camden Town, London, in 1853. Educated partly in Uxbridge, England, and partly in the Colony, Mr. Hayne came to Port Chalmers in 1866 in the ship “Lady Ann.” He served his time in Dunedin with Mr. Wilkinson and Messrs. Wilkinson and Anning, qualifying as a chemist about 1875, when he commenced business at Palmerston and Oamaru. After some years he returned to Dunedin as assistant to Messrs. Wilkinson and Petitt, with whom he remained till he joined the latter in founding the present business. Mr. Hayne was married in 1879 to a daughter of Mr. Andrew Affeck, of Waikouaiti, settler, and has two daughters and one son.
Sprosen, Harry Lionel
, Chemist and Druggist, Octagon Drug Hall, corner of Octagon and George Street, Dunedin. Telephone, 752. Private residence, “Clevedon,” 67 Clyde Street. This well-known business was established in 1886, and has been conducted by the present proprietor since 1893. The building is a two-storey brick structure, having double front windows to George Street and two side windows to the Octagon. The interior of the shop is elegantly fitted up with glass show cases with mirror backs, and a large number of new attractive bottles by Whittal, Tatum and Co. have recently been imported. Mr. Sprosen has a considerable number of proprietary medicines, including Like's Liver Pills, Curtayne's Blood Purifier, besides ointment, quinine wine, worm syrup and lozenges, rhubarb and castor oil pills, bronchial tablets, and many other preparations. Latterly Mr. Sprosen has added photographic goods to his stock, and is himself an amateur photographer. He was born in Tokomairiro in 1871 and received his education at Milton high school. Mr. Sprosen learned his business in his native place, and in Dunedin in the shop of which he is now proprietor. Prior to purchasing the business, he was chief assistant for two years. He is a member of the Dunedin ambulance corps,
and of the Dunedin poultry fanciers' society, and as a Freemason he is a member of Lodge Otago Kilwinning, S.C.
Thomson, James Paul
, Chemist and Druggist, 11 Rattray Street, Dunedin. This business was established in 1873, and was taken over by the present proprietor in January, 1903. The premises comprise the ground floor of a two-storey brick building. The show window, which is well dressed, displays a full assortment of toilet requisites, and medicines, and the shelves are stocked with drugs and druggists' sundries of the best quality. Mr. Thomson, the proprietor, was born in Dunfermline, Scotland, where he was educated and trained for his profession. He was at work in Berwick, London, and Edinburgh, before sailing for New Zealand in 1900. For a short time he was manager for the Ashburton Drug Company, and later on became dispenser at the Dunedin Hospital. Mr. Thomson bought his present business in January, 1903.
Wardrop, W. and G.
(William Wardrop and Cavin Wardrop), Dentists, Hillside Road. South Dunedin. Telephone 316. The dental chambers occupied by this firm are on the first floor of Mr. William Wardrop's chemist's shop, and are furnished with all the latest dental appliances, specially imported for the firm.
Mr. William Wardrop, J.P.
, the Senior Partner, was born in Victoria, in 1854, and came with his parents to Dunedin
at the age of four. He was educated in Dunedin, and learned his profession as chemist with Mr. James Reid. He first started a business at Wellington, in 1878, but returned to Dunedin two years later, and founded his present business. Mr. Wardrop was registered as a dentist in 1880, and in 1991 took his son, Mr. Gavin Wardrop, into partnership. During his residence in Dunedin Mr. Wardrop has taken an active part in public affairs; he was mayor of South Dunedin for eight years, and after a retirement of several years, was elected a member of the Borough Council in 1902. He has been a member of the Otago Harbour Board, of the Licensing Committee and Charitable Aid Board, and also of the Dunedin Hospital Board, and he has been a Justice of the Peace since the early eighties. Mr. Wardrop has stood for Parliament, but has, as yet, been unsuccessful. He was elected President of the Otago Pharmaceutical Association in 1903, having been vice-president of that body for seven years previously. He has also taken an active part in church matters, has been a local preacher in the Methodist Church for many years, and has occupied the pulpits in some of the largest churches in Dunedin. As a Druid he is Past District Grand President of Otago and Southland Mr. Wardrop is married, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. Gavin Wardrop
, Surgeon Dentist, Junior Partner in his father's firm, was born in Wellington. He was educated at the Dunedin High School, studied for his profession under Mr. Myers, and passed his dental examination in 1901. He went to South Africa with the Ninth Contingent, and on his return was taken into partnership by his father. Mr. Wardrop has been well known as a footballer, and played in the Dunedin football club for nine years. He is a trumpeter of the Otago Hussars, and was for some time previously bugler to the North Dunedin Rifles.
, Chemist and Druggist, 20 Princes Street, Dunedin. This business was for many years conducted by Mr. J. Reid, and was purchased by the present proprietor in 1898. The premises were then thoroughly renovated, and the interior of the dispensary and the large window neatly and attractively fitted up. Large stocks of drugs and proprietary medicines are kept. Under its present management the business has become one of the most popular in the city, and the utmost reliance can be placed upon the preparation of prescriptions and the quality of the materials used.
Mr. James Waters
, the Proprietor, was born in Auckland in 1873, and educated at the Auckland College and Grammar School. He was apprenticed to Messrs Henderson and Orr, chemists and druggists, of Auckland, and in 1896 passed the New Zealand Pharmacy Board's examination. For two years afterwards he managed a business at Coromandel, and in 1898 purchased his present business. During his residence in Dunedin
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. Waters.
Mr. Waters has taken a keen interest in football and tennis, and is a member of the Roslyn Association Football Club and of the Kaituna Tennis Club.
Woodward, Eustace Charles
, Chemist and Druggist, 174 Princes Street South, Dunedin. Telephone, 302. P.O. Box, 276. Bankers: National Bank of New Zealand. The business conducted by Mr. Woodward was originally established in 1853, and subsequently conducted by Messrs. Dodd, T. J. Leary, and A. M. Loasby, respectively. Mr. Woodward entered into possession in March, 1897. The premises form part of a
two storey brick building, the upper floor of which is occupied by Dr. Alexander Paterson, as consulting rooms. The ground floor, occupied by Mr. Woodward, consists of a double shop beautifully fitted up with the usual elegant show-cases found in first-class establishments of this kind. The proprietor does a large family and dispensing business, and prepares a great many prescriptions for medical practitioners of the city and suburbs, as well as acting for a number of friendly societies. He is a regular importer of drugs, druggists' sundries, toilet, and other requisites, and maintains a considerable stock in all up-to-date lines. Mr. Woodward, who is the eldest son of Mr. Frank Woodward, manager of the National Bank at Invercargill, was born in Auckland in 1869, and was educated at public and private schools. He served his apprenticeship to his predecessor, Mr. A. M. Loasby, and after the completion of his term was for seven years assistant to Mr. James Boon, of Nelson. After returning to Dunedin he acquired Mr. Loasby's business, Mr. Woodward is a member of the Otago rowing club and other athletic associations.