The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Gleniti is the name of a riding in the Levels county, and also of a rural district about three miles from Timaru on the main road to Claremont. The district is partly residential and partly agricultural and pastoral; the land is undulating in its character. At the census of March, 1901, the village and its neighbourhood had a population of ninety-nine souls. Gleniti has a store and post office, a blacksmith's shop, and a public school, and daily coach communication with Timaru.
The Gleniti Post Office was established in 1896, at the store at the corner of Claremont and Selbie roads. There is a telephone bureau, and mails are received and despatched daily.
Mr. James Simpson, Postmaster at Gleuiti, was born in 1858, at Newstead, England, and came to Port Chalmers in the ship “Hydaspes,” in 1871. He worked as a ploughman in the Timaru district till 1888, when he acquired the local store at Gleniti. Mr. Simpson was married, in 1894, to a daughter of the late Mr. I. Lack, of Norfolk, England, and has one son and four daughters.
The Public School at Gleniti was established in 1879. It is built of stone, roofed with iron, stands on two acres of land, contains two class rooms and two porches, and has accommodation for 120 pupils. The number on the roll is ninety-eight, and the average attendance is eighty-two. The master in charge is assisted by a mistress.
Mr. Joseph Greaves, Master of the Gleniti Public School, was born in 1847, in Yorkshire, England. He was trained as a teacher, and came out to the colonies in 1875. After experience in Melbourne and Hobart, he came to Canterbury. He served over two years at Claremont, fourteen years at Woodbury, and has been master at Gleniti since 1897.
Ellis, Godfrey Wentworth, Farmer, Holly Farm, Gleniti Mr. Ellis works 100 acres of leasehold land. He was born at Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England, in 1858, and arrived at Lyttelton with his parents in the ship “Clontari” on the 6th of January, 1859. His father settled at Timaru, where he established an extensive carrying trade, in which the son, after leaving school, assisted him. In 1877 he took over his father's business, which he conducted till 1893, when he bought a large livery stable and plant in Beswick Street, Timaru. This large business was carried on by Mr. Ellis till the 31st of July, 1901. He was for a short time Sanitary Inspector for the Levels County Council, and is now devoting his attention to farming. While he was in Timaru Mr. Ellis, as a Freemason, was a member of Lodge Caledonia, and was also associated with the Druids and other public societies in the town. In his younger days he took a keen interest in cricket and other outdoor games. Mr. Ellis was married in Timaru, and has nine children.
Mr. G. W. Ellis.
Kelland Edwin, Farmer, North Downs, Gleniti. Mr. Kelland was born in Devonshire, England, and was brought up for a farmer's life. Mr. Kelland came to New Zealand in 1865, with his parents. His farm is an admirable property of 384 acres. Mr. Kelland has also a farm at the Levels. He is an extensive breeder of stud sheep of English Leicester strain, and has been awarded numerous prizes at various shows. Mr. Kelland is a member of the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and has been a member of the committee for over ten years. He was married in Christchurch to Miss Squire, of Devonshire, and has two daughters and one son.
Mr. W. Pringle.
Robinson, Gladstone, Farmer, Otumarama, Gleniti. Mr. Robinson was born in England in 1860. He arrived at Port Chalmers in 1880, in the ship “Dumbritton,” and having gained experience in sheepfarming in Otago, farmed for eleven years near Tapanui. After a trip to England, he returned to New Zealand, in 1900, and acquired his present property. Mr. Robinson was married, in 1888, to a daughter of the late Hon. John Bathgate, of Dunedin, and has two sons and two daughters.