Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]



Cochrane, James, Farmer, Pike's Point, Glenavy. Mr. Cochrane was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1853, and accompanied his parents to Lyttelton in the ship “Himalaya' in 1866. The family settled in Waimate, where Mr. Cochrane was brought up to country life, and engaged in contracting for a number of years. He commenced farming on his own account at Waituna in 1880. Nine years later he left that district, and engaged in cropping on Mr. Teschemaker's land and on the Waikakahi estate till 1899, when he acquired his present farm, on which he conducts mixed farming. His land consists of 400 acres, and is held under a lease in perpetuity. Mr. Cochrane served for a number of years on the Waikakahi school committee and was chairman in 1886, and he has for a long time been a member of the Waimate Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Cochrane was married, in 1884, to a daughter of the late Mr. David Pollard, well known as proprietor of Pareora Accommodation House, and has five sons and four daughters.

Dabinett, George, Farmer, “Tinui,” Glenavy. Mr. Dabinett was born in Somersetshire, England in 1849. He was brought to Port Chalmers, in 1855, by the ship “Isabella Hercus,” and his family settled at Warepa, to the south of the Molyneux river, where he was brought up to farming on his father's property. In 1874 Mr. Dabinett commenced page 1097 business at Catlin's river, as a member of the firm of Dabinett and Young, general storekeepers. This business was successfully conducted by the firm till 1899, when Mr Dabinett sold out to his partner, as he himself had become one of the original selectors on the Waikakahi estate. His property consists of 389 acres, held under a lease in perpetuity. “Tinui” means large cabbage tree, or plenty of cabbage trees. Mr. Dabinett was married, in 1877, to the daughter of the late Mr. William Young, of Warepa, and has an adopted daughter.

Dickson, Charles William, Farmer, “Willow Bank,” Glenavy. Mr. Dickson was born at St. Albans, Christchurch, in August, 1866, and was educated at the Selwyn public school. He was for a number of years in the Dunsandel district, and for some time was cropping and contracting on Mr. Westenra's property. Mr. Dickson afterwards farmed for eight years on his own account between Sefton and Ashley, before acquiring his present property of 478 acres of the Waikakahi estate, in 1899. He was connected with the Rangiora Lodge of Oddfellows. Mr. Dickson was married in June, 1894, to the daughter of Mr. Thomas Shaw, of Ashley, and has three daughters and one son.

Cox, photo.Mr. and Mrs C. W. Dickson and Child.

Cox, photo.
Mr. and Mrs C. W. Dickson and Child.

Fraser, Richard, Farmer, Glenavy. Mr. Fraser was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1843, and educated at Edinburgh. In his early years he followed the plough and did farm work generally. On the 3rd of June, 1874, he was married to Miss Mary Adair, who was born in Cambulslang, in 1852, and on the sixth day of the same month, the newly-married couple sailed from the Clyde in the ship “Canterbury,” for New Zealand, and landed in Lyttelton on the 1st of September, 1874. Mr. Fraser has been in Canterbury ever since. He followed the calling of a ploughman for eight years, during the last five of which he was head ploughman and working manager for Mr. J. A. Johnson, of Lauriston. Mr. Fraser then took up 300 acres of tussock land at Lyndhurst. He eventually became the purchaser, named the place “Bushy Bent,” and built a comfortable dwellinghouse and all necessasry outbuildings. Mr. Fraser has always been successful whenever he has exhibited his horses at local shows. In 1901 he left the Lyndhurst district and settled at Glenavy, where he holds 480 acres, under a lease in perpetuity, and has built a comfortable homestead.

Mr. and Mrs R. Fraser.

Mr. and Mrs R. Fraser.

Harrison, William, Farmer, “Sea-field,” Glenavy. Mr. Harrison was born in Yorkshire, England, in November, 1832. He was brought up to country life by his uncle, and came to Port Chalmers by the ship “Dauntless.” Mr. Harrison settled in the Oamaru district, and was farming at Richmond till 1899, when he sold out, and took up 581 acres at Glenavy. He holds this land under a lease in perpetuity, and uses it as a sheep run. Mr. Harrison was married, in 1875, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Neilson, of Scotland. Mrs Harrison died in 1887.

Mahan, photo.Mr. W. Harrison.

Mahan, photo.
Mr. W. Harrison.

Maclean, Hector, Sheepfarmer, “Willow Glen,” Glenavy. Mr. Maclean was born in 1857 in Argyleshire, Scotland, where his father had large farms, and in 1877 he landed at Auckland by the San Francisco steamer from America. He came to Otago and entered the service of Messre Dalgety and Company. Limited, at Morven Hills, where he afterwards became manager. Mr. Maclean worked the Lake Hawea station in Otago for ten years, and acquired his present property at the opening of the Waikakahi estate in 1899. His land consists of nearly 1200 acres, held under the perpetual lease system, and he runs, on an average, 2000 sheep. Before he left the Old Country Mr. Maclean served as a volunteer in the Argyll Battery of Highland Light Infantry.

McCulloch, Archibald, Farmer, “Fairfield,” Glenavy. Mr. McCulloch was born in the parish of Mauchline, Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1848, and came to Port Chalmers in the ship “Nelson” in 1875. He settled at Maheno, near Oamaru, and engaged in farming till 1899, when he took up his present property of 610 acres, formerly a portion of the Waikakahi estate. Mr. McCulloch is an enthusiastic angler, and his total catch during the season of 1902 was 126. While at Maheno he was connected with the Presbyterian church, and was for some time a member of the committee. He was married, in 1869, to a daughter of the late Mr. Mathew Lamont, of Ayrshire. Scotland. His wife died in 1889, leaving two daughters. In 1894 Mr. McCulloch married a daughter of Mr. David Gibson, of Waianakarua, North Otago, and has four sons and one daughter by this union.

Ross, David, Farmer, Glenavy. Mr. Ross was born in Ross-shire. Scotland, in September, 1853, and came to Port Chalmers in January, 1871, by the ship “Agnes Muir.” He was for some time employed in connection with the landing service at Oamaru. In 1879 he commenced sheepfarming near Glenavy, and was afterwards contracting and cropping, till 1888, when he acquired his property of 506 acres of freehold, and 269 acres of leasehold, which is part of a plantation reserve. Mr. Ross has been a member of the Oamaru Harbour Board since 1898; for three years he represented the Waitaki riding on the Waimate County Council, and was for a like period on the Waimate Hospital Board. He was married, in February, 1875, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Phair, of County Cavan, Ireland, and has had three sons and three daughters, of whom one daughter has died. Mrs page 1098 Ross landed at Port Chalmers by the ship “Viola,” in 1866, and resided in Dunedin and Oamaru before her marriage.

Mahun, photo.Mr. and Mrs David Ross.

Mahun, photo.
Mr. and Mrs David Ross.

Ross, Donald, Farmer, “The Poplars,” Glenavy. Mr. Ross was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1854, and came out to Victoria with his parents in 1867. In 1875 he came to New Zealand and found employment in outdoor work at Rakaia for about two years. Mr. Ross took up land at Lauriston in September, 1877, and remained there until he settled at “The Poplars” in 1900. His property comprises 470 acres of leasehold land. During his residence at Lauriston Mr. Ross was for many years a member of the school committee. and only resigned his position on leaving. He was married, in 1880, to a daughter of the late Mr. William Fraser, of Learmonth, Victoria, and has a surviving family of four sons and three daughters.

Scott, James, Farmer, Ryde Farm, Glenavy. Mr. Scott's property consists of 676 acres held under a lease in perpetuity, and was originally part of the Waikakahi estate. Mr. Scott was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in February, 1849, and went to school in his native place, where also he was brought up to country life by his father, who was a farmer. For a good few years before coming out to New Zealand, Mr. Scott engaged in farming on his own account at Henley-on-Thames. In December, 1898, he arrived with his family at Lyttelton by the s.s. “Ruahine,” and was successful in the following year in drawing the fine section on which he has made his home, and erected a substantial residence and out-buildings. About the end of 1902 Mr. Scott purchased 400 acres of freehold on the Waitaki river bed, and has named the property Meadowfield Farm. As a volunteer in England Mr. Scott served in the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars. He was a member of the Order of Druids, and was initiated as a Freemason in Dumbarton, Scotland Mr. Scott was married at Christmas, 1876, to a daughter of Mr. Thomas Allan, of Westerwood, Cumbernauld. Dumbarton, and has five sons. His eldest son was a member of the Seventh New Zealand South African Continent. He was Black and white photograph of bush wounded in the leg at the fight at Bothasberg, and returned to New Zealand in June, 1902. The third son was a member of the Tenth Contingent, and returned, unscathed, in July, 1902.

Waikakahi Homestead, Glenavy. This is the property of Mr. C. D. Fleming, and was originally part of the Waikakahi estate. It comprises 1200 acres, and was purchased in 1899. Of the total area 820 acres have been brought under cultivation, and the balance has been surface-sown. The land has yielded as high as seventy bushels of wheat and ninety bushels of oats to the acre. It also yields heavy crops of turnips and rape, and the grass land carries as many as three sheep to the acre. The improvements are of a most extensive and substantial nature. and up to the time the estate was sold they served for the working of the whole property of 47,000 acres, carrying 80,000 sheep. The large woolshed has boardroom for twenty-eight shearers, and the other buildings and the yards are in keeping with the shed, where Mr. Fleming now shears and dips his neighbours' sheep. Mr. Fleming personally is a breeder of draught horses.

Mr. C. D. Fleming was born at Oamaru, where he was educated and was brought up to farming. In athletic competitions at Oamaru, Waimate, and Timaru, Mr. Fleming has put up records with the stone, and won many prizes in tossing the caber and throwing the hammer.

Mr. Duncan Cameron, sometime of Glenavy, was well known in the district as proprietor of the Redcliff Hotel. He was born in Ross-shire, Scotland, in 1820, was brought up as a shepherd, and came to Lyttelton by the ship “Canterbury” in 1866. For a few years he was a shepherd at the Malvern hills, and was afterwards for eleven years in the employment of Mr. John McLean, of Redcastle. After a few months' experience on the Waitaki Plains, and a year at Merino Downs station, Mr. Cameron bought the Redcliff Hotel, which he conducted until his death in April, 1880. At the time when he settled at Redcliff there was only one house between that point and Glenavy, then known as Waitaki Ferry. Mr. Cameron was married, in 1886 [sic], to a daughter of the late Mr. Donald Bain, of Ross-shire, Scotland, and left three daughters. Since her husband's death Mrs Camoron has let the hotel to a tenant, and resides on the opposite side of the road.