The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Waimate is a prosperous town, thirty-three miles south-west by rail from Timaru. A branch railway, five miles in length, connects it at Studholme with the main line. The town is seven miles inland from the sea, and first came into prominence as the site of a large timber trade. Early in the eighties, however, a great fire destroyed all the bush on the level country near the town, and the timber trade is now confined to the cutting and export of firewood obtained in the surrounding hills and gullies. Strawberry culture was once carried on so extensively that about 200 persons were employed every season in connection with it. This industry is more restricted than it was some years ago, but the cultivation of raspberries is now going on apace, and the export is increasng every year. The town is the headquarters of an agricultural and pastoral society, horticultural society, a choral and orchestral society, a dramatic club, the Waimate County Farmers' Association, a racing club, a Caledonian society, and of cricket, football, golf, hockey, tennis and bowling clubs. The educational requirements of the district are provided for by the Waimate District High School, a public primary school, Roman Catholic schools for boys and girls, and private schools. Waimate also has five churches and a Salvation Army barracks, a public library and reading room, a hospital, two banks, Masonic and other lodges, four hotels and two newspapers. Saturday is a general sale and market day for the town and district, and there is a monthly sale of stock at the local saleyards. Waimate has a fine park of eighty acres, known as Knottingly Park, and formed out of the Domain reserve of 100 acres. The park has some fine plantations of ornamental trees, and a gardener has been appointed to systematically improve the property. A large oval ring has been fenced in and ornamented with flower beds, and there is an artificial lake, supplied with water pumped by a windmill. In Victoria Terrace the townspeople have planted an oak to commemorate the coronation of King Edward the Seventh, and the site has been handsomely fenced and planted with ornamental trees. Waimate takes its name from the original station of the Messrs Studholme, who built the first house in the district in the year 1854. This old building is a slab hut with thatched roof, and is still preserved by Mrs M. Sludholme, as a relic of the early days. It adjoins the beautiful residence at Waimate station homestead, and is almost entirely covered with a luxuriant growth of ivy. The Waimate district as a whole is noted for the extent and excellence of its agricultural land, and the purchase and settlement of the Waikakahi estate, 47,000 acres, under the Lands for Settlement Act, has given an impetus to the progress and prosperity of the whole community. At the census of March, 1901, the borough of Waimate had a population of 1359 persons; 662 males, and 697 females. The Waihao river is nine, and the Waitaki river fifteen miles distant from the town, and the district is enriched with some fine scenery.
The Waimate Borough Council has jurisdiction over an area of 649 acres, including the town belts. At the census of March, 1901, the borough had a population of 1359, but it is estimated that the immediate suburbs bring the total up to about 2000. There are 316 dwellings, 340 ratepayers, and 500 rateable properties in the borough. The unimproved value is assessed at £25,569, and on this there is a general rate of 4 3/4 in the £. There are over ten miles of formed streets and footpaths in the borough. The municipal offices at the corner of Queen street and Victoria Terrace were erected in 1898. The building is of brick, one storey in height, and contains the council chamber, the Town Clerk's offices, a committee room and lavatories. Waimate, as a borough, has no loans. Mr. C. Akhurst is Town Clerk and Treasurer.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. John Manchester, was the first Mayor of Waimate. He was returned twice subsequently, and was again elected in 1901, 1902 and 1903. Mr. Manchester was born in Leicestershire, England, in 1833. He went to school in his native place, and was brought up to outdoor pursuits. In January, 1859, Mr. Manchester arrived in Timaru by the ship “Strathallan,” and passed a few years on a sheep station in South Canterbury. In 1863 he and his partners began business in Waimate, and they now have a large mercantile house. Mr. Manchester has been well known in the public life of the district, as he has served on the Waimate County Council, and on the road board that preceded it for over thirty years. He was chairman of these bodies for a considerable time, and was a member of the Timaru and Gladstone Board of Works, the first local body in South Canterbury. He has for several years represented the southern side of the county of Waimate on the Timaru Harbour Board. Mr. Manchester has also been a member of the Timaru High School Board of Governors, and was a Governor of the Waimate School Board. He is one of the founders of the local Wesleyan church, and has held every office that a layman can hold in connection with that body; and besides being frequently a member of the New Zealand Conference, he has been a representative at the General Conference of Australasia. Mr. Manchester attended the Melbourne Conference of 1871, and had intended being on board the ill fated steamer “Tararua,” which was wrecked on the 29th of April, in 1881, while carrying representatives to the General Conference of that year; but at the last moment he was unable to go in the steamer. He was married, in 1867, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Thomas Pain, of Queensland, and has two sons and two daughters.
Councillor John Cameron has been a member of the Waimate Borough Council since 1883. He was born in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, in 1842, and arrived in Port Chalmers at the age of twenty, in the ship “Jura.” With his brother he commenced business in South Canterbury under the style of Cameron Brothers, and the firm has since been well known in the district. In 1882 Mr. Cameron married a daughter of the late Mr. Walter Allan, of Waimate, and Three Springs, and has four sons and two daughters.
Councillor William Coltman, who has been a member of the Waimate Borough Council since 1890, and was Mayor for two years, was born in Birmingham, England, in 1862. He was educated in Yorkshire, and learned the trade of a watchmaker under his father's tuition. In 1883 Mr. Coltman entered into business at Timaru, but removed to Waimate in 1888. Mr. Coltman served for about ten years as a member of the Waimate High School Board of Governors, and was for a number of years on the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. In 1889 he married a daughter of Mr. A. Russell, of Temuka, and has four sons.
Councillar Robert Inkster, who has served as a member of the Waimate Borough Council since 1890, was born in the page 1063 Shetland Isles in 1864. He was educated in his native place, and came to Lyttelton with his parents, by the ship “Star of China” in 1875. His father, Mr. James Inkster, settled in Waimate, and until lately carried on the business of a wool scourer. Mr. Inkster was apprenticed for four years at Waimate, where he worked as a journeyman, and managed a business for Mr. T. E. Evans at St. Andrews for two years. He had a trip to the Old Country, and on his return, in 1887, he founded the tailoring business which he has since conducted in Queen Street. Mr. Inkster has passed through the various chairs in connection with Court Foresters' Pride at Waimate. He was married, in 1891, to a daughter of the late Mr Samuel McCullough, of Waimate, and has three sons.
Councillor Frederick William Sevick Jones, who has been a member of the Waimate Borough Council since 1884, was born in 1859 at Pareora. He went to school at Waimate, where he was brought up to country life. Mr Jones is a farmer, and works 270 acres of freehold at Arno, and 321 acres at Waihaorunga. He served for several years on the Waimate licensing bench, and has also been a member of the hospital board and school committee. In 1884 Mr. Jones married a daughter of the late Mr. David Ogilvie, of Otaio, and has three daughters and one son.
Councillor Robert Nicol was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, in October, 1846, and at the age of sixteen commenced his career as a flour miller. About 1865 he went to America, where he gained experience in connection with his trade, but returned to Scotland in consequence of failure in his health. In 1875 Mr. Nicol came by the ship “Auckland” to Port Chalmers, New Zealand, where he returned to his trade as a flourmiller. He was employed in various parts of Otago, and started the Maniototo co-operative flour mill at Naseby, where he worked his mill until 1891, when he removed to Waimate, and founded the Empire roller flour mill. About three years later he was joined in partnership by Mr W. L. Scott. Mr. Nicol was Mayor of Waimate for two years, and has been a member of the Borough Council since 1894. He was married, in April, 1878, to a daughter of the late Captain Robert Andrews, and has four sons and three daughters.
Councillor James Sinclair has served on the Borough Council of Waimate since 1885, and was for two years Mayor. He was born in 1853 in Edinburgh, Scotland, and was brought to Port Chalmers by his father in the ship “Sevilla,” in 1858. Mr. Sinclair learned the business of a watchmaker in Dunedin, where he afterwards commenced business in 1875. Three years later he arrived in Waimate, and has since carried on business in the borough. Mr. Sinclair is chairman of the Hospital Board, and has held numerous other positions in local public life. He was married, in 1880, to a daughter of Mr. Alexander Stewart, of Auckland, and has four sons and one daughter.
The Waimate County Council was constituted in 1876, prior to which the district had been, for a good many years, under the control of the Waimate Road Board. The county extends from the Waitaki river in the south to the Pareora river in the north, and from the sea beach on the east, to the hills on the west. It has an area of 1343 square miles. At the census of March, 1901, the county had a population of 5653; namely, 3218 males and 2435 females. There are seven ridings in the county, five of which return one member—namely, Upper and Lower Pareora, Otaio, Makikihi and Hakataramea; the remaining ridings, Deep Creek and Waihao, return two members each. There are two water-race districts in the county—Lower Waihao and Lower Pareora, and these respectively have loans amounting to £6181 and £2000, on which separate rates are raised to pay interest and sinking fund. The total unimproved rateable value of the county amounts to £2,402,139, on which there is a rate of 7/8 of a penny in the £, which yields a revenue of £8,784. The revenue from licenses, dog tax, and Government subsidies amounts to £2,600, and the county's expenditure is about equal to its income. The bank balance of the county is always kept below the legal limit. The Waimate County Council has about 1000 miles of formed roads, which are mostly metalled, and on which, it is said, a sum of about one million pounds sterling has been expended. The large bridge over the Pareora river is maintained jointly by the Waimate and Levels County Councils. The Council's chambers are situated in Queen Street, Waimate, and were built in 1877. The building is of brick and concrete, and contains a hall for the Council's meetings, besides six large rooms, which are all used for county purposes. The site is one acre in extent. Members for 1902–3: Messrs R. H. Rhodes (chairman), A. S. Elworthy, G. Lyall, W. J. Hardie, A. Walker, P. Studholme, J. Morriss, J. Breen, and D. Macfarlane. Mr. C. E. Bremner, A.M.I.C.E., is engineer, and Mr. G. V. Cochrane, country clerk.
Mr. Robert Heaton Rhodes, Chairman of the Waimate County Council, is the eldest surviving son of the late Mr. George Rhodes, of Timaru, who was the first to take up land in South Canterbury. He was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and Exeter College, Oxford, and married Jessy, daughter of the late C. R. Bidwill, one of the earliest settlers in the Wairarapa Valley. Mr. Rhodes has been chairman of the Waimate County Council since November, 1902, and has served as a member of the Council since about the year 1887. He represents the Otaio riding, and is the owner of the Bluecliffs estate, about ten miles from St. Andrews, towards the hills.
Councillor James Breen, who is one of the representatives of the Waihao riding in the Waimate County Council, to which he was elected in 1902, was born near Lake Killarney, in County Kerry, Ireland, in 1849. He was brought up to country life in his native place, and came out to Port Chalmers by the ship “Zealandia” in 1874. For the first few years of his residence in the colony, he spent most of his time in agricultural work, and in road-contracting. In 1883 he settled on a farm at Island Stream, near Maheno, where he resided for some sixteen years, during which he did a great deal of cropping and contracting. In 1899 Mr. Breen settled on the Waikakahi estate, where he had acquired 462 acres under a lease in perpetuity. He has since leased 1130 acres of land at Redcliff, from the trustees of the late Mr. Mellish. Mr. Breen is a member of the local school committee, and has been a director of the North Otago Dairy Factory since September, 1901. He was married, in 1883, to a daughter of the late Mr. D. Slattery, of County Kerry, Ireland, and has three sons and two daughters.
Councillor Arthur Stanley Elworthy has represented Upper Pareora riding on the Waimate County Council since 1899. He is a son of the late Mr. Edward Elworthy, proprietor of Holme station, who was for some years chairman of the county council. Further references to the late Mr. Elworthy, and Mr. A. S. Elworthy, will be found in connection with the article on Holme station.
Mr. W. J. Hardie.
(Taken in 1898, while Mr. Hardie was on a visit to Scotland.)
Councillor George Lyall, J.P., who has represented Lower Pareora riding of the Waimate county since 1891, is referred to elsewhere as a member of the Timaru Harbour Board.
Councillor John Morriss, who has represented the Waihaio riding on the Waimate County Council since 1902, was born in County Galway, Ireland, in 1843. In 1864 he arrived in Lyttelton, by the ship “Ivanhoe,” and settled in Christchurch. He was attracted to the West Coast goldfields, but returned to Canterbury eighteen months later, and had several years' experience of station life under Mr. C. Dampier-Crossley. Mr. Morriss was farming at Temuka for eight years, and in April, 1881, bought 100 acres in the Waihao district, where he now owns 850 acres of freehold, and 313 acres of leasehold land. Mr. Morriss has served as a member of the Lower Waitaki Irrigation Board for several years, and has been chairman of that body since 1902. He was married at Lyttelton, in 1874, to a daughter of the late Mr. E. Scully, of County Galway, and has had three sons and three daughters. One son has died.
Mr. J. Morriss.
Councillor Paul Studholme, who has represented the Deep Creek Riding on the Waimate County Council since 1902, is the fourth son of the late Mr Michael Studholme. He was born at Waimate, in 1872 and was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch. After seven years' experience of mercantile life, he turned his attention to farming, and in 1897 settled at Studholme Junction. His property, “Wainono,” consists of 960 acres of freehold, and is devoted to mixed farming. Mr. Studholme has been a member of the local corps of Mounted Rifles since its inception in 1900. He was married, in 1900, to a daughter of Mr T. Hardy Johnston, of Christchurch, and has two daughters.
Councillor Alfred Walker who has represented the Deep Creek riding on the the Waimate County Council since 1897, was born in York, England, in 1851. He was educated at Woolwich High School, and brought up to the business of a carpenter and joiner. As such he served his apprenticeship with his father, who was a builder and contractor in a large way of business at Woolwich, Kent. Mr. Walker came to Lyttelton in 1873 by the ship “Duke of Edinburgh.” After a year in Timaru he spent a few months in Waimate and was afterwards two years in Oamaru, and a few months on the West Coast, before returning to settle permanently in Waimate. In addition to carrying on business as a builder and architect, he farms forty acres on the main north road, where he resides; also seventy acres at Uretane, near Waimate. Since 1898 he has served on the South Canterbury Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, and from the same date has held a seat as one of the trustees of the Waimate Hospital. He is likewise one of the governors of the Waimate Technical School. For three years Mr. Walker was president of the local branch of the Shearers' and Labourers' Union, and vice-president of the executive of that body. As a Freemason he was initiated at Largs on the Clyde, Scotland, where he was employed for four years and a half as ships' joiner. For a short time before leaving for New Zealand Mr. Walker was president of the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners at Greenock. He was one of the promoters of the first Liberal Association in Waimate, and for several years its president, and always strongly advocated the acquisition of land for settlements, conciliation and arbitration, cheap money and numerous other liberal measures, which have since been passed by the Seddon Government and become law. Mr. Walker was also one of the first to advocate the settlement of reserves in the district, and Hannaton and Norton are now two of the most prosperous settlements in the colony. Mr. Walker is a keen sportsman with dog and gun, and acknowledged to be one of the best anglers in the district. He also has one of the largest pigeon lofts in Waimate, and is president of the Waimate Homing Pigeon Club. Mr. Walker was married in December, 1878, to the eldest daughter of the late Benjamin Fox, one of Waimate's earliest settlers, and has two sons and three daughters surviving.
Mr. George Veitch Cochrane, County Clerk, was born in Stirlingshire, Scotland, in 1856, and came out to Port Chalmers by the ship “Timaru” in 1878. He was bookkeeper at the Waihao Downs estate for about eight years, and was appointed to his present position in 1895. Mr. Cochrane holds various other public offices.
Mr. Charles Edward Bremner, Assoc. M. Inst. C.E., who has been engineer to the Waimate County Council since May, 1900, is referred to at page 495 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia, as engineer to the county of Wairarapa North.
Mr. Daniel Jackson, for many years a member of the Waimate County Council, was born in 1854 at Ballygibbon House, West Kildare, Ireland, and came of an old Irish family who trace their descent back to the year 1640. He was educated in the North of Ireland, and in Queen's County, and went to the United States as a boy for about a year, and at the age of twenty-two came to Lyttelton by the ship “Bebbington,” He acted as secretary for two and a half years to Mr. Douglas, of Waihao Downs Station, one of the finest properties in Waimate county. Mr. Jackson was appointed clerk to the Waimate County Council, and held the position for many years. During that period he also acted as secretary to the Waimate Hospital Board. He founded the Waitaki and Waimate Acclimatisation Societies, and was secretary to the Waimate Racing Club and Caledonian Society. In 1885 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Anne O'Brien, daughter of Mr. Michael O'Brien, one of the earliest South Canterbury settlers, and had one daughter and two sons. He died a few years ago.
The late Mr. D. Jackson.
The Waimate Post And Telegraph Office was built in 1892, when it replaced the old wooden building which still adjoins it. The new building is of brick, and possesses a clock and clock-tower. The entrance lobby contains the posting boxes, and fifty-four private boxes. There is a public room for post and telegraph business, separate apartments for savings bank and money order business, an office for registration, and a large room for the general work of the establishment. The telephone exchange was inaugurated in 1903, and began with twenty subscribers. There are sub-post offices at Waihao Forks and Waihao Downs, and the page 1065 last-named place is connected with Waimate by telephone. Mails are received and despatched daily, both north and south, and there are two postal deliveries each day within the borough. The staff consists of the postmaster, two assistants, a letter-carrier, and two messengers.
Mr. William MacDermott, Postmaster and Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, at Waimate, was born in Dublin, in 1857, and arrived in Wellington by the ship “Avalanche” in 1876. He joined the Postal Department, and held various positions in the service prior to his appointment to Waimate in September, 1902. Mr. Macdermott was married, in 1867, to a daughter of Mr. John Dixon, of Maynooth, Ireland.
The Waimate Sub-Police District extends from Papakaio to Morven, and back to the hills, including Waihao Downs, Makikihi, Hook, and Hunter. The police station adjoins the courthouse in Sherman Street. The buildings, which are of wood and iron, comprise a residence, two cells, and a three-stalled stable, with a loose box. The offices are situated in the courthouse.
Mr. Andrew Christie, Constable in charge of Waimate Sub-district, was born at North East Harbour, Dunedin, Otago, in 1854. He joined the police in Wellington in 1879, and was stationed in various parts of the colony before being appointed to Waimate in 1902. Mr. Christie was married, in 1875, to a daughter of the late Captain A. G. Christopher, of Maitland, New South Wales, and has five sons and two daughters.
The Waimate Railway Station dates from 1880, when the branch connecting with Studholme Junction on the main line was opened for traffic. The building is of wood and iron, and contains a public office, a luggage room, a ticket lobby, a ladies' waiting room, and a lamp room, with engine and goods sheds, and an asphalt platform. Three trains arrive and depart on three days in the week, and four each way on the other three. The stationmaster is assisted by a cadet, and a porter, a driver, and a fireman, and two gangers and five platelayers reside in Waimate.
Mr. James Baird Campbell, Stationmaster at Waimate, was born in 1865 in Hounslow, England. He arrived in New Zealand in 1880, via Melbourne, and joined the railway service in Christchurch. Mr. Campbell has been stationed in various parts of both islands, and was appointed to his present position in April, 1902. He was married, in 1894, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Wylie, of Southbridge, and has two sons and one daughter.
The Waimate Hospital Board consists of nine members, five of whom are elected by the local county council, two by the borough council, and two by the subscribers. Members for 1903; Messrs J. Sinclair (chairman), W. J. Hardie, P. Studholme, A. Walker, J. Breen, J. Morriss, R. Nicol, W. Coltman, and E. J. Atwill. Dr. H. C. Barclay is Medical Superintendent of the Hospital, Mrs Chapman, Matron, and Mr. G. V. Cochrane, Secretary.
The Waimate Hospital stands on sixteen acres of ground about a quarter of a mile outside the boundary of the borough, on the Waimate Gorge road. Ten acres of the land are freehold and six are held under a nominal rent from the Borough Council. The hospital, which can accommodate forty patients, is built in brick and concrete; and, besides two wings which contain the main wards, it has a fever ward, and several small rooms for the accommodation of patients. The grounds near the hospital are tastefully laid out in gardens, in which there is a picturesque little building, which is used as a smoking and reading room for convalescent patients. Dr. Barclay is Medical Superintendent, and the hospital is connected by telephone with his surgery in Waimate. The working staff resides on the premises, and consists of the Matron, three nurses, a wardsman, a housemaid, a cook, a laundress, and a gardener.
Mrs Jane Chapman, Matron of the Waimate Hospital, was born in Melbourne, and received a home education at Merry Creek, Coburg, Victoria, where she was brought up. In 1863 she became the wife of the late Mr William George Chapman, of Merry Creek. Mr. and Mrs Chapman were appointed Master and Matron of the Waimate Hospital in 1887 but six years later Mr. Chapman gave up his position owing to ill health, and was an invalid till the time of his death, in 1897. Mrs Chapman, however, has continued to act as Matron, and had full charge of the Hospital until 1893.
Mrs J. Chapman.
The Waimate District High School stands on a section of five acres, on which there is also a seven-roomed residence for the Rector. The school contains ten class rooms, besides porches, lavatories, and cloak rooms; and is regarded as such a complete building in every respect, that the High School at Hokitika has been built after the same design. There are nearly 500 names on the roll, and the average attendance is 430. The staff cosists of seven certificated teachers and five pupil-teachers. Three separate rooms are devoted to secondary work, and in 1903, eighty-nine of the pupils were taking work of that kind. The school has been successful in matriculation and civil service examinations. A capital playground and two fine tennis courts adjoin the school. Governors for 1903: Rev. G. Barclay (chairman), Messrs W. Coltman, G. Manchester, W. B. Howell, W. H. Beckett, and J. Sinclair, the Rev. A. S. Morrison, and Dr. H. C. Barclay. Mr. G. H. Graham is secretary.
Mr. George Pitcaithly, B.A., Rector of the Waimate District High School, was born in 1865, at Lyttelton. He graduated B.A. at Canterbury College, and after having served a pupil-teachership became assistant at Lyttelton, and afterwards at Sydenham. For a number of years he was first assistant at the Normal School, Christchurch and also at Napier. In 1895 he was appointed headmaster of the Waimate District High School, with departments for instruction in all the usual primary subjects. When Mr. Pitcaithly was appointed only fourteen pupils were taking secondary work, but in 1903 the number had increased to eighty-nine. Mr. Pitcaithly was married, in 1894, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Hildyard, of Lyttelton, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. G. Pitcaithly.
Mr. Thomas M. M. Laing, B.A., First Assistant of the Waimate District High School, was born at Caversham, Dunedin, in 1887. He was educated at the Dunedin High School, graduated B.A. at Canterbury College page 1066 and was trained as a teacher at the Normal School, Christchurch. Mr. Laing was teaching for several years at the Lyttelton, St. Albans, and West Christchurch schools, successively, and went to Waimate in 1899, to teach in the primary and secondary departments of the District High School. Since the beginning of 1902 Mr. Laing's work has been confined to the secondary branch.
St. Augustine's Parish of the Anglican church extends from the Hook river on the north to the Waitaki river on the south, and from the seaboard to the hills. It was constituted in 1870. In 1903 the southern portion of the district, from the Waihao to the Waitaki, was created a new parish. Services are held at Hunter, Makikihi, Waihao Downs, Morven and Glenavy, as well as at the parish church in Waimate. The contract for the construction of St. Augustine's church was signed in 1872, and the building was opened in 1873, and enlarged in 1883, by the addition of a lantern-tower. A handsome lych gate has been recently added, and there are some very fine stained glass windows in the church. The land occupied by the church and parsonage was presented by the late Mr. Michael Studholme, of Waimate. There is room in the church for 200 worshippers. A convenient Sunday school building, close by, was erected in 1897. It has accommodation for 200 children, and there are 130 names on the roll, and eleven teachers. The parsonage stands in St. Augustine Street, and was erected in 1874. It has a glebe of five acres of land.
The Rev. McKenzie Gibson, Vicar of Waimate, is the second son of the late William Middleton Gibson, of Bristol, England, and was born in 1859. He was educated at the Bristol Grammar School, and at Didsbury College, and came to Wellington in 1882, by the ship “Norman McLeod.” Mr Gibson was ordained deacon in 1884 and priest in 1885. He was assistant curate at the Pro-Cathedral, Dunedin, for three years, then for a short time vicar at Fernside, near Rangiora, and then for three years at Akaroa. In 1892 he was appointed vicar of Cust, and four years later—on the 1st of June, 1896—entered on the charge of his present parish. Mr. Gibson was married, in 1884, to the youngest daughter of the late Captain S. C. Gibson, of London, and has two sons and one daughter.
Knox Presbyterian Church, Waimate, stands on a half-acre section at the corner of Sherman and Manse Streets. The building, which is of Gothic form and constructed of wood, will hold 250 worshippers, and was erected about the year 1876. Close to the church there is a Sunday school room, in brick. The school is attended by about 100 children. The manse is at the head of Manse Street, and is a roomy, two-storey building, with a glebe of five acres. Regular services are held twice each Sunday at Knox church, and regular country services in a number of school rooms in the large surrounding district.
The Rev. Alexander Morrison, M.A., Minister in charge of the Waimate district, is a son of the Rev. Donald Morrison, some time missionary of the Canadian Church, and was born in 1867 in the New Hebrides. He was educated at Auckland and Dunedin, and graduated M.A. with second class honours at the University of Otago. He also obtained the Senior Scholarship in Mental Science of the New Zealand University, as well as several theological scholarships. Having studied at the Theological Hall, Dunedin, he was ordained in May, 1894, and had charge at Hastings, Hawke's Bay, prior to his appointment to Waimate. Mr. Morrison was married, in 1898, to a daughter of Mr. W. Anderson, of Dunedin, and has two sons and one daughter. Mrs Morrison is also a graduate of the University of Otago, and was also Senior Scholar in Mental Science.
The Waimate Parish Of The Roman Catholic Church was constituted a separate parish in 1880, and extends from the Otaio river on the north to the Waitaki river on the south. The parish is in charge of the Rev. Peter Regnault, S.M., who is assisted by the Rev. Paul Aubrey, S.M.
St. Patrick's Church at Waimate dates from 1877, and the convent at the back of the church was erected in 1890. The church is a wooden building with seating accommodation for 200 worshippers, and the convent is under the care of six Sisters of St. Joseph, who conduct a school adjoining it. About 150 children attend this school, and there is room for 200. Music is taught and a good elementary education is given, and those who desire it are prepared for higher examinations. The present presbytery, which was erected to replace the old building in 1894, is a handsome two-storey brick and plaster building, and stands in front of the school, facing the main road. The church owns twenty-three acres of land, part of which is within the boundary of the borough.
The Rev. Peter Regnault, S.M., Priest in charge of the Waimate parish, was born in 1856, in Brittany, France. He was educated there, and at Dublin, and was ordained in France in 1885. Father Regnault arrived in New Zealand early in 1886, and after being stationed at Timaru, and at Hokitika, was appointed priest in charge of Waimate at the beginning of 1889.
Rev. P. Regnault.
St. Paul's Wesleyan Church, Waimate, grew out of the Methodist services held in the district in the youthful days of the settlement. In the early sixties Mr. George Manchester threw open his own house in High Street for services in connection with the church of his fathers. The first church in Waimate was erected, in 1866, at a cost of £110, and was a small wooden building in Queen Street, on a site near Messrs Cameron Bros.' butchery. This old building did duty for some years, and facilities were given to Presbyterians and Episcopalians alike, to hold services there before they had churches of their own. Later, it was used as a schoolroom, and a larger church was erected alongside, but both buildings were burnt down in April, 1886. Services were then held in a wooden building, which was originally erected by the Temperance Society in Shearman Street, and served as a Temperance Hall; it was bought by the church when the other building was destroyed, and is still used as a Sunday school. St. Paul's church was built in 1887, at a cost of £958, without the gallery, which has since been added. It has an acre and a half of land attached to it, with frontages to Glasgow and Shearman Streets. The church is a brick building, with an iron roof, and has seating accommodation for about 400 worshippers. The parsonage is a convenient brick building, with a garden and paddock attached, in Parsonage road. Services are held by the minister in charge at Nukuroa every Sunday, and at Waihaorunga periodically.
The Rev. William Tinsley, Minister in charge of St. Paul's Wesleyan Church, Waimate, was born in Hertfordshire, England, in 1848. He was educated in Essex, and brought up to the trade of a wheelwright and coachbuilder, but commenced to study for the ministry at the age of twenty-one. He became a Home Missionary in the Primitive Methodist Church, and afterwards went through a course of private study with one of the ministers while continuing his missionary work. Mr. Tinsley was ordained in 1873, in England, and, shortly afterwards, left for Auckland, New Zealand, and was stationed there four years. After one year in Christchurch, he resigned the ministry of the Primitive Methodist church, and entered the Wesleyan ministry in January, 1879. Mr. Tinsley was stationed successively at Port Chalmers, Durham Street (Christchurch), Wanganui, Palmerston North, Lyttelton, Gore, Sydenham (Christchurch) and Temuka before being appointed to Waimate, in 1902. He was married, in 1873, to a daughter of the late Rev. John Moore, one of the early Primitive Methodist missionaries in England, and has a surviving family of three sons and one daughter.
The Primitive Methodist Church, Rhodes Street, Waimate, was erected in 1877; services had been held for two years previously in the Temperance Hall. The building, which is of brick, and has seating room for 200 persons, stands on a quarter of an acre of land. A Sunday school is held in the church, and the minister in charge preaches on alternate Sundays at Waimate and Oamaru, periodically at Morven and Nukuroa. The parsonage, a convenient seven-roomed house, built on a section of half an acre of land in Parsonage road, was erected in 1898.
The Rev. Joseph Sharp, Minister in charge of the Primitive Methodist church at Waimate, was for three years stationed at Geraldine before being appointed to Waimate in 1903. Mr. Sharp was born at Maidstone, Kent, England, on the 12th of May, 1849, and is the eldest son of Mr. Joseph Sharp. He was educated at private schools in his native place, entered the ministry in 1871, and left England for New Zealand in August, 1873, to accept the charge of the church on the Thames goldfields, where he remained eighteen months. Subsequently he was stationed at Christchurch, Ashburton, Geraldine, Timaru, Greendale (North Canterbury), Taranaki, Dunedin, and Invercargill, and in 1891 was appointed to Auckland. He was elected President of the Conference in 1893, and he has also acted as secretary on several occasions. Mr. Sharp takes an active interest in the cause of education and temperance. He joined the Order of Orangemen at the Thames in 1875, and has held the rank of Grand Chaplain of the South Island Grand Lodge.
The Salvation Army Barracks at Waimate are situated in Queen Street and were built in 1901. The corps was established in 1885, but its first building was destroyed by fire. The present barracks are of brick, and have seating accommodation for 250 persons. The Sunday school is attended by thirty-five scholars, and there are five teachers. There are forty-three members in the Waimate corps, including officers.
Captain Alexander James Marshall, in charge of the Waimate Corps, has been an officer of the Salvation Army since 1897, and has been a captain for four years. He has been stationed at Waimate since the end of 1902.
The Waimate Agricultural And Pastoral Association was established in 1881. It is managed by a general committee of twelve. The principal officers in 1903 were: Messrs N. M. Orbell, president, H. E. McGowan, vice-president. W. H. Beckett, honorary treasurer, and C. Akhurst, secretary. There are 140 members, and the Association is popular and well supported. The show ground is a section of ten acres on the Gorge road. It has been much improved, and has been recently again laid down in grass. There is a large dairy shed, stables with twelve stalls, and a secretarial office. Ornamental trees are planted on the margin of the ground, and a new ring and cattle yards are now (1903) being built. The annual show is held in November, and is attended by about 2500 persons. At the show of 1902, the entries numbered 710; the ordinary prizes amounted to £400, and there were special prizes amounting to £100, privately contributed. In the same year the Association sent a county exhibit to the Dunedin winter show. This was the first attempt from Waimate, and the Association was successful in gaining third place. In its second attempt, in June, 1903, the Association was still more successful, as it scored a decided win over the other competitors, and secured the coveted red ticket.
Mr. Charles Akhurst, Secretary to the Waimate Agricultural and Pastoral Association, Town Clerk, Secretary to the Waimate Domain Board, and Secretary to the Waimate Branch of the New Zealand Farmers' Union, etc., etc., was born in England, in 1872. He was for six years and a half in the National Bank of New Zealand, and resigned to go to South Africa, where he held an important position in Johannesburg under the Anglo-French Exploration Company, and was secretary to eleven companies, comprising gold, silver and coal mining, land and financial companies; but was compelled, owing to ill-health, to return to his friends in New Zealand. Mr. Akhurst became Town Clerk at Waimate in August, 1900.
The Waimate Advertiser was established on the 28th of May, 1898, as a four page demy-quarto weekly, and was published free for three months. It was founded by Messrs Charles Augustus and Harold Wilson two youths of nineteen and seventeen, who were joined a year later by their brother, Mr. George Wilson. After six months “The Advertiser” was doubled in size, and issued a weekly penny paper. From this modest beginning it has grown to its present size of four pages ordinary news of seven columns each, and is now issued thrice a week. In politics, the paper is independent, and takes an active interest in social matters. Its first office was a small building of eight feet by ten feet in a back street; its present premises are in the main street, opposite the post office, and form part of a brick building of two stories. The plant consists of a double royal Wharfedale and a treadle machine, with a complete font of news type, and up-to-date accessories for jobbing work. The Messrs Wilson are sons of Mr Charles Wilson, contractor, of Waimate.
Mr. Charles Augustus Wilson, Senior Partner in the Waimate “Advertiser,” was born in Timaru, in August, 1877, and was educated at the Waimate District High School. He was at first a compositor on the Waimate “Times.” Mr. Wilson was a member of the Waimate Rifles, and was one of the Third New Zealand Contingent, sent to South Africa, but returned, invalided by enteric. He holds the teachers' diploma of the National Phonographic Society of England.
Mr. George Wilson, one of the partners in the Waimate “Advertiser,” was born in Timaru, in November, 1879, and was educated at the Waimate District High School, where he passed his examinations with great credit, served for four years as a pupil-teacher, and subsequntly matriculated and took his D certificate. He left this profession and was for some time on the staff of the Timaru “Post,” first as a proof reader, and afterwards as sub-editor; but returned to Waimate to share in the control of the “Advertiser.”
Mr. G. Wilson.
Mr. Harold Wilson was born in 1881, at Timaru, and was educated at the Waimate District High School. He joined his brother and assisted in the foundation of the paper, on leaving school.
The “Waimate Times” was established in 1873, under the name of the “Waitangi Tribune.” At the end of 1879 the Waimate Times Company was formed to take over the journal, and the name was changed to the Waimate Times. Major (now Sir William) Steward was largely interested in the business and became its manager, and afterwards sole proprietor. In 1886 he sold the paper to the Messrs Wilson, who in turn sold it to the present proprietor in 1887. The “Times” is a morning paper, Liberal in politics, and is issued on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday. It is one of the original subscribers of the New Zealand Press Association. The paper is news size, and contains four pages of seven columns, and a two-page literary supplement is published with each issue. The plant is a Whariedale machine, and full news and jobbing plant. The office of the paper is in Queen Street.
Mr. Matthew Smith, Sole Proprietor of the “Waimate Times,” was born in 1856, in Edinburgh. He is a compositor by trade, and served his apprenticeship in his native city. In 1874 Mr. Smith came to Lyttelton by the ship “St. Lawrence” and settled in Christchurch, where he was for about four years employed on the staff of the “Lyttelton Times.” He went to Waimate, and purchased a paper named the “Waimate Star,” which, however, ceased publication after six months. Mr. Smith then became foreman of the Waimate Times Company, and held the position till the dissolution of the company. He was again on the staff of the “Lyttelton Times” for about a year before taking over the journal of which he is now sole proprietor. Mr. Smith has always taken an interest in local affairs, and has served as a member of the Waimate school committee for a number of years, and for four years was a member of the Timaru High School Board of Governors. He has been treasurer of the Waimate Public Library for several years past, and has been actively connected with the horticultural and other local societies. Mr. Smith has been an elder in the Presbyterian church since 1889, and Session Clerk since January, 1890. He has also been for many years superintendent of the Sunday school. As a Freemason he is attached to Lodge St. Augustine, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Smith was married, in 1878, to a daughter of the late Mr. William James, of Camborne, England.
Mr. M. Smith.
The Magistrate's Court, Waimate, stands in Sherman Street. It is a substantial stone building, with ample accommodation, and was erected in 1879. There is a large court-room, besides separate rooms for the Magistrate and clerk, a public office, and two rooms which are used by the police department. Sittings for civil cases are held fortnightly by Major Keddell, S.M., and police cases are heard as required.
Mr. Walter Yarwood Purchase, Clerk of the Magistrate's Court at Waimate, and of the Licensing Committee for Waitaki, Deputy Registrar of Old Age Pensions, Registrar of Electors, and Returning Officer of the Waitaki electorate, entered the public service in January, 1893, at the Ashburton Magistrate's Court. For a short time he was engaged in relieving work, and was appointed to his present position in March 1902.
Clement, Joseph Richard, Barrister and Solicitor, Queen Street, Waimate. Mr. Clement was born at Hull, Yorkshire, England, educated in his native land, and came to Port Chalmers in 1870. He studied for the profession in Oamaru, and was admitted in 1876, when he established his practice in Waimate. Mr. Clement was some years solicitor to the Waimate Borough Council.
Barclay, Herbert Clifford, M.D., Ch.B. (N.Z.), M.R.C.S. (Eng.), L.R.C.P. (Lond.), F.R.C.S. (Edin.)., Physician and Surgeon, Sherman Street, Waimate. Dr. Barclay is referred to at page 144 of this volume as captain of the Waimate Rifles.
Dr. H. C. Barclay.
Cruickshank, Margaret Barnett, M.B., C.M. (N.Z.), Physician and Surgeon, Waimate. Dr. Cruickshank was born at Palmerston South, and is a daughter of Mr. George Cruickshank. She was educated partly at Palmerston South High School, partly at Dunedin Giris' High School, and at Otago University. Conjointly with her twin-sister, she was dux of her school. She obtained her diploma in 1897. She and Dr. Emily Siedeberg were the first ladies in New Zealand to enter into medical practice. Dr. Siedeberg was the first lady to take the degree, and Dr. Cruickshank the first to go into practice. Directly after obtaining her diploma in 1897, she joined Dr. Barclay in practice at Waimate.
Dr. M. B. Cruickshank.
Dr. A. G. Nicolls.
Kirkland, John, Surgeon Dentist. Queen Street, Waimate. Mr. Kirkland was born in September, 1875, at Taieri, Otago, and was educated at the Dunedin High School. He studied for his profession with Messrs Myers and Co., of Dunedin, and became a registered dentist in 1896. He continued with the firm till 1900, when he commenced on his own account at Timaru, and since 1901 he has practised his profession at Waimate. Mr. Kirkland was married, in April, 1902, to a daughter of Mr. A. B. Smith, of “Monavale,” near Timaru.
Akhurst, Frederick, Chemist and Druggist, Queen Street, Waimate. Mr Akhurst's business was established in the seventies, and has been conducted by himself as proprietor since 1891. Mr. Akhurst was born in Berkshire, England, in 1867, and arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Lurline” in 1881. He was apprenticed in Invercargill, served as an assistant in Napier and Christchurch, and was for two years dispenser at the Dunedin Hospital before he acquired his present business.
Gunn and Co. (William Gunn), Chemists and Druggists, Queen Street, Waimate; head office, Timaru. The Waimate branch of this firm was opened on the 3rd of March, 1902. The business is carried on in a brick building of one storey, which contains a shop, office, and residence.
Mr. David Alexander Fulton, Manager of the Waimate branch of Mr. Gunn's business, was born at Petane, in Hawke's Bay, in 1875. He was educated in Napier, and learned his business with Mr. J. S. Welsman, with whom he served four years. Afterwards he had four years' experience with Mr. G. W. Wilton, at Newtown and Cuba Street, Wellington. Mr. Fulton settled at Waimate in February, 1902. He has always taken a great interest in football and cricket, and was captain of the Waimate Cricket Club in 1903.
Union Bank Of Australia Limited, Waimate. This centrally situated building was erected in 1879, and contains, besides the front office and manager's room, nine rooms, which are occupied by the manager and his family. The building is of two stories, and is built of brick, faced over with cement. Three officers, besides the manager, constitute the staff. The next nearest branches of the Union Bank are at Oamaru in the south and at Timaru in the north.
Mr. Arthur Harold Glasgow, Manager of the Union Bank of Australia, Limited, at Waimate, is the fifth son of the late Mr. W. J. Glasgow, of Nelson, and was born at Tavistock, Devonshire, England. He came out to New Zealand with his family about 1878, and was educated at the Nelson and Wellington Colleges. Mr. Glasgow entered the Union Bank in Nelson, in 1886, and in 1890 was transferred to Wellington, and after six years' service there was transferred to Christchurch. He was manager for two years at Lyttelton before taking up his duties at Waimate, in November, 1902. Mr. Glasgow has taken an interest in football, cycling and rowing, and was a member of the representative football team of Nelson, for some years. He married, in 1890, the daughter of the late Mr. William Pitt, solicitor, of Reefton, and has two sons and one daughter.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. A. H. Glasgow.
The Waimate Branch Of The Bank Of New Zealand was established in 1870, and the two-storey building was erected in 1881. It stands on three-quarters of an acre fronting Queen Street, and contains the banking chamber, manager's office, strong and stationery rooms, and also the manager's residence. The nearest branch of the Bank of New Zealand is at Timaru in the north, and at Oamaru in the south.
Mr. William Hartley Hargreaves, Manager of the Bank of New Zealand at Waimate, was born in Auckland, in 1851, and was educated at the Church of England Grammar School, Parnell, and at St. John's College, Tamaki. He entered the head office of the Bank in Auckland in 1867, and steadily rose to the position of teller. He was then transferred to the Thames as accountant, and after five years became manager at Waipukurau. After nine months Mr. Hargreaves was sent by the bank to Wellington to supervise the business of Messrs E. W. Mills and Company. He was manager at Temuka and Akaroa, respectively, before receiving his present appointment at Waimate in 1900. Mr. Hargreaves was married, in 1881, to a daughter of the late Mr. F. H. Drower, of Waipukurau, and has one son and one daughter.
Guinness And Lecren, Limited, Stock and Station Agents, etc., High Street and Sherman Street, Waimate; and Timaru. This business was founded by Mr. F. Rickman, in 1878, and was afterwards conducted by Messrs Barclay and Foot, who sold out to the firm of Guinness and LeCren in 1893. A new two-storey brick building, containing offices, a land sales room, and a grain and seed store, was erected on the firm's property, fronting High and Gregson Streets in 1903. Stock and produce sales are held every Saturday, land auctions and other important sales frequently, fortnightly stock sales at Studholme, and monthly stock sales in the Waimate saleyards.
Mr. Norton Francis, one of the Proprietors, is manager of the firm's branch at Waimate. He was born in London, in 1871, page 1070 and was educated at Highgate School. After serving two years in London at Lloyds, he came to New Zealand in 1893, for the benefit of his health, and was a cadet on the Waimate estate for two years. Mr. Francis then took a trip to the Old Country, and on his return purchased a farm from the Waimate estate—the old Point Bush block—which he worked until 1899, when he again visited England, and upon his return in 1900 he purchased a further area from the same estate, making his holding about 2500 acres. In August, 1901, Mr. Francis became a partner in the firm of Guinness and LeCren, Limited, and has since disposed of his freehold, with the exception of the homestead block of 435 acres, which includes the old Point Bush, the timber in which is carefully preserved. Since his settlement in Waimate Mr. Francis has always taken a keen interest in all public matters. He has been chairman of the Waimate Saleyards Company, President of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and was one of the promoters and has been President of the Horticultural Society. He is also a member of the Borough Council, treasurer of the Waimate Racing Club, and serves on the committees of most of the clubs and societies in the town. In 1896 he married the youngest daughter of the late Michael Studholme, of Te Waimate, but his wife died in September, 1902.
Mr. N. Francis.
Cox, Arthur J., Photographic Artist, Waimate. Mr. Cox established his present business in Waimate in 1898, previous to which he had had twenty years' experience in connection with photography. He is a son of the late Mr. William Cox, an early colonist, of Rakaia. Mr. Cox makes a specialty of portraiture and enlargements.
Atwill, Edwin John, J.P., Tent Manufacturer, Waimate. Mr. Atwill was born in Devonshire, in 1845. When he was fifteen years of age he joined Her Majesty's Navy, and served a three years' apprenticeship. He passed in gunnery and seamanship and gained a diploma in sailmaking, and was promoted from first-class boy to ordinary seaman. Seven months afterwards he was, for a meritorious act, made an able seaman. In this capacity he served three years and a half, during which he saw active service and was engaged in several encounters with Chinese pirates. In one of these he was wounded and invalided home. He then received an appointment as manager for large china-clay works in Devonshire, where he remained for about seven years. In 1874 he came to New Zealand in the ship “St. Lawrence.” After landing in the surf boats at Timaru he went to Waimate, where he was engaged in various undertakings for a number of years. In 1892 he started in business in Waimate as horse-cover, tent, and tarpaulin maker, and saddler, but subsequently sold out the saddlery portion of the business. He was appointed manager of the branch business of Messrs Priest and Holdgate in 1896, and has since carried on his own business in conjunction with his management. Mr. Atwill was made a Justice of the Peace in June, 1899. He has been connected with the Waimate Hospital Board for seventeen years, and has been a member of the Waimate school committee for some years; he has been secretary, and is now treasurer, of the Waimate Foresters' Court, and is a member of the St. Augustine Lodge of Freemasons. Mr. Atwill married a daughter of Mr. Goldsworthy, of Devonshire, in 1868, and he has a family of four sons and three daughters. When the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York (now Prince and Princess of Wales) were in Christchurch in June, 1901, Mr. Atwill was, as a veteran sailor, invited by the Mayor of Christchurch to be present on the occasion. Mr. Atwill was presented to their Royal Highnesses, who, in the course of a pleasant conversation, said they were pleased to meet him, and glad that he enjoyed good health.
Mr. E. J. Atwill.
Philip, Alexander, Undertaker and Builder, Sherman Street, Waimate. Mr. Philip was born in 1863, in Liverpool, England, where he was educated, and came to Lyttelton in 1879 by the ship “Rangitikei.” He settled in Waimate, and learned his trade with his uncle, the late Mr. James Philip, who built the local high school, the county council chambers, and various other prominent buildings. On the death of his uncle, in 1890, Mr. Philip established his present business. His premises stand on a freehold section of an acre and a quarter. He executes building contracts, has erected many buildings in the district, and has a complete undertaking plant. Mr. Philip served as a volunteer in the Dunedin Navals for a year, and was for six years in the Waimate Rifles. He has also been a member of the local borough council. He is a past master of the Masonic Order, and is attached to Lodge St. Augustine, No. 99, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Philip was married, in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. Richard Leng, of Dannevirke, and has two sons and two daughters.
Walker, Alfred, Builder and Architect, Waimate. This business was founded in 1878 by the proprietor, who has designed and erected a large number of public and private buildings in and around Waimate. Mr. Walker is referred to elsewhere as a member of the Waimate County Council.
Mr. and Mrs A. Walker.
Bishop, Enos, Painter and General Decorator, Queen Street, Waimate. Mr. Bishop was born in 1860, in Hampshire, England, where he was educated. In 1874 he came to New Zealand by the ship “Avalanche,” and settled at Waimate, where he learned his trade and worked as a journeyman. In 1884 Mr. Bishop established himself in business in Heaton Street, and in March, 1899, he removed to his present premises in Queen Street, where he has a large double-fronted shop, with a residence and storeroom behind. Since 1882 he has been a member of Court Foresters' Pride, Ancient Order of Foresters, Waimate. Mr. Bishop was married, in 1884, to a daughter of Mr. H. Fow, and has three sons and one daughter.
Cameron, W. and Co., (William Cameron), General Drapers, Queen Street, Waimate. This business was established in 1882, by Mr. R. E. Boyd, who conducted it for about twenty years, when it was bought by Mr. Cameron. There is a double-fronted brick shop, with offices and workroom behind. The firm imports direct, and maintains a large and well assorted stock of boots, drapery, and clothing.
Mr. William Cameron, Proprietor, was born in 1842, in Kincardineshire, Scotland, and was educated in Aberdeenshire, where he served an apprenticeship to his trade. He was in business for six years before coming to Port Chalmers in February, 1875. After a year's experience at Caversham, Dunedin, Mr. Cameron removed to the Taieri, and conducted a soft goods business at Mosgiel for twenty-five years. He then sold out, and bought his present business at Waimate. During his residence at Mosgiel page 1071 he was for about three years a member of the borough council, and also served on the local school committee. Mr. Cameron was married, in 1864, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Brittain, of London. His wife died in 1896, leaving five daughters and three sons.
Mr. W. Cameron.
Evans Thomas, And Son, (William Edgar Evans), Tailor and General Mercer, Waitangi Clothing Factory, Queen Street, Waimate. This business was founded in 1875 by Mr. Thomas Evans, father of the present proprietor. The one storey brick building contains the shop, fitting and cutting rooms, and four workrooms. A large stock of colonial and Continental goods is maintained.
Mr. William Edgar Evans, Proprietor, was born in 1869, in Dunedin. He went to school at Waimate, learned his trade with his father and spent a year in England for the purpose of obtaining further knowledge of his trade. On his return to New Zealand in 1892, Mr. Evans became partner with his father, and five years later took over the business. He served as a volunteer for five years in the Waimate Rifles. He is attached to the local bowling club, and as a Freemason belongs to Lodge St. Augustine, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Evans was married in Waimate, in 1897, to a daughter of Mr. Robert Dailey, of Swannanoa. His wife died in 1901, leaving two daughters.
Hutt, Richard William, Tailor and Clothier, Queen Street, Waimate. This business dates from June, 1900, prior to which Mr. Hutt was in business for several years at Naseby, in Central Otago. He left the latter place with the intention of going to South Africa, but decided to remain in New Zealand, and founded his present business in Waimate. His premises consist of a substantial building in the main street, and contain a shop, a fitting room, and work rooms.
Inkster, Robert, Tailor, Queen Street, Waimate. This business was founded by the proprietor in 1887, and the present premises were erected in 1897. The business is conducted in a two-storey brick building, with the cutting departments and workroom on the ground floor. The rest of the building is used as a residence. Thirteen hands are employed in connection with the establishment. Mr. Inkster is referred to elsewhere as a member of the Waimate Borough Council.
Jones and Co. (Arthur Sevick Jones), Drapers and Clothiers, Coronation House, Queen Street, Waimate. This business was founded by the proprietor in 1893 in Victoria House, Queen Street. The present building, which has been used by the firm since 1902, is of two stories, and stands upon an eighth of an acre. The whole of the ground floor is lighted from the roof, and contains the Manchester department, and boots, and millinery departments. The show room, ladies' fitting room, and dressmakers' workroom are on the next floor. About twenty hands are employed, and regular shipments of American and English goods are imported. Mr. Jones is the third son of Mr. W. B. Jones, and was born in 1866, at Makikihi, and educated at Waimate, where he learned his trade. For seven years he served with the well-known firm of Manchester Bros. and Goldsmith, and became manager of their drapery department at the age of twenty-one.
Shackleton, George James, General Draper, Clothier, Dressmaker and General Milliner. Queen Street, Waimate. Mr. Shackleton took over the drapery portion of the business of Messrs Shackleton and Grant in August, 1902, and removed to a two-storey brick building in Queen Street. The shop has two show windows with a verandah in front, and there are workrooms and fitting rooms at the back, with a residence above. The proprietor holds a large stock of general drapery, as well as boots and shoes. Mr. Shackleston was born in 1885 at the Waipori goldfields, and is said to have been the first boy born in that district. He went to school principally at Maheno, and learned his trade at Dunedin. After three years' experience at Messrs Fyfe and Cuming's, of that city, he removed to Pleasant Point, where he had charge of the drapery side of Mr. W. McKibbin's business. He then went to Waimate, and became assistant to Messrs Cameron Bros., and six months later, in partnership with Mr. Grant took over their business. Mr. Shackleton served as a volunteer for three years in the Otepopo Rifles, three years in the Dunedin Engineers, two years in the Timaru Artillery, and twelve years in the Waimate Rifles. He was for six years attached to the Loyal Heart of Friendship Lodge of Oddfellows, Waimate, of which he passed all the chairs, and was twice elected a delegate of his Lodge. Mr. Shackleton was married in January, 1896, to a daughter of the late Mr. Michael Tregoning, an old identity of Waimate, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs G. J. Shackleton.
Royal Hotel (Henry Middleton, proprietor), Sherman Street, Waimate. This well known hotel was established in 1876. The building, which is of wood and iron, is plastered throughout, and contains thirtyfour rooms. There are twenty-two bedrooms, seven sitting rooms, and a large commercial room. The dining room is well lighted and will seat forty guests. There are four fine sample rooms connected with the hotel. The land attached consists of half an acre.
Mr. Henry Middleton, Proprietor, was born in 1843, in Tipperary, Ireland, and was apprenticed as a blacksmith. He arrived at Lyttelton in 1861, and for a short time was employed at his trade in North Canterbury. Owing to an injury to his hand, however, he was compelled to give up his trade, and took over a hotel at Kaiapoi, which he conducted for about three years, when he sold his interest and became proprietor of the Royal Hotel at Waimate. Mr. Middleton has been a member of the Kaiapoi and Waimate Borough Councils. He is a Past Master of the Masonic Order, and is attached to Lodge St. Augustine, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Middleton was married, in 1862, to a daughter of the late Mr. Edward Maxwell, of Tipperary, Ireland. His wife died in 1893, leaving three sons and three daughters.
Allan, William, Blacksmith and Wheelwright, Paul Street, Waimate. This business was established in 1873, and has been conducted by the present proprietor since 1879. The buildings stand on half an acre of land, and contain a smithy and paint shop, with a pretty residence adjoining. Mr. Allan was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1841, and found employment at his trade until leaving for New Zealand. In 1862 he arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Lady Egidia,” and had two years' experience on the Otago goldfields. He was working in Dunedin for a time, and afterwards engaged in dairy farming, before acquiring his business in Waimate in 1879. Before leaving Scotland, Mr. Allan served for two years as a member of the Renfrew Rifles. Ever since his arrival in New Zealand, he has taken a great interest in the Presbyterian church, and now is an elder of the local church. He was one of the first directors of the Waimate Co-operative Society. Mr. Allan was married, on th 28th of October, 1865, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Seaton, who was member of Parliament for the Peninsula for many years. Mrs Allan was born in Scotland, and accompanied her parents to Port Chalmers in the ship “Philip Laing,” in 1848.
Mr. and Mrs W. Allan.
Maindonald, Frederick John, Engineer and Ironmonger, High Street, Waimate. Mr. Maindonald is the eldest son of Mr. John Maindonald, of Papanui, Christchurch, and was born on Kaiapoi Island in 1865. He was brought up on his father's farms at Kaiapoi, West Eyreton, and Oxford, but he studied engineering at Canterbury College, and served for a time in one or two engineering shops in Christchurch. At the age of twenty-one he owned a threshing mill, and worked it throughout North Canterbury, and conducted a farm at West Eyreton at the same time. While on a shooting expedition he was thrown from his horse and received concussion of the brain, but entirely recovered from the effects. In 1897 he took up Willowbrook Farm at Studholme Junction. He, however, sold that property and bought the old established engineering, blacksmithing, wheel wright and ironmongery business of the late Mr. Nicolas Wall, High Street, Waimate. Mr. Maindonald has imported the latest machinery and tools, and carries on the business in all its branches, with an ever increasing number of customers. In 1895, he married a daughter of Mr. Philip Welch, of Lincolnshire, England, and has two daughters.
Mr. F. J. Maindonald.
Wills, William John, Engineer and Blacksmith, Waitangi Iron Works, Corner of High Street and John Street, Waimate. This business was established in 1890. The premises are of iron and wood, and contain horseshoeing, engineering, and millwrighting departments, besides a store and office, with a residence at the back. The staff numbers ten, and experts are in charge of the various branches of the business. Mr. Wills, the proprietor, was born in 1866, at Temuka, and educated at Waimate. He learned his trade partly at Waimate, and partly at Kaipara, Auckland. After working as a journeyman for a number of years, he returned to Waimate and commenced business in partnership with Mr. G. W. Harding, under the style of Harding and Wills, and three years later he bought his partner's interest. Mr. Wills served for seven years as a member of the volunteer Fire Brigade, and is now an honorary member. He was president of the public library committee, and was secretary to the Caledonian Society in 1893. Mr. Wills was married, on the 29th of March, 1892, to the youngest daughter of Mr. John Presland, of Waimate, and has two sons surviving.
Wilson, Victor, Rowland, Plumber and Gasfitter, High street, Waimate. This business was founded in 1880, by Mr. Thomas Dugdale, and was acquired by Mr. Wilson in 1901. Three hands are employed and the proprietor undertakes the manufacture of tanks, baths, and all kinds of tinware. Mr. Wilson is a son of Mr. Robert Wilson, of Christchurch, and was born at Waimate in 1876. He served for eight years as an apprentice and journeyman with Messrs Hement Bros., of Christchurch, and after a year's employment by another firm, he purchased his present business at Waimate. He has executed good work on many important local buildings, including Coronation House, the Waimate Hospital, Molloy's Buildings, and the Waimate Hotel, where he has fitted up hot and cold water services and gas, as well as electric bells. Mr. Wilson served four years as a volunteer in the Imperial Rifles. Christchurch, and has been for two years a member of the Waimate Rifles. He is a member of St. Augustine Lodge, New Zealand Constitution, is attached to Court Foresters' Pride, Ancient Order of Foresters, and is also connected with the Waimate cricket and cycling clubs.
Fritz Cycle Works (Thomas Richard, Proprietor), Queen Street, Waimate. This business was established in September, 1898, by the present proprietor's son, the late Mr. John Richards, who perished in the disastrous fire of August, 1900. The building is of two stories, and contains a showroom, an office, a workshop and an enamelling room on the ground floor. The rest of the building is used as a residence. All appliances for building and repairing cycles and motor-cars are kept, and all kinds of machines are built to order on the premises from B.S.A. parts imported by the proprietor. A specially is made of the manufacture of motor cycles, at prices varying from £50 to £60.
Mr. Thomas Richard, Proprietor of the Fritz Cycle Works, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, and came to Auckland in 1870, by the ship “Orari.” He went to the Waikato, and for three years was overseer on Sir James Fergusson's estate near Cambridge. In 1884 Mr. Richard came to Timaru and was farming for some time. He has had an interest in the Fritz Cycle Works since page 1073 their foundation, and took over the business on losing his son. Mr. Richard was married, in 1870, to a daughter of the late Mr. William Wilson, of New Cummock, Ayrshire, and has had two daughters and one son. Mrs Richard is the descendant of an old Covenanting family, the Campbells, of Dalhannan, in Ayrshire.
Myers and Jones (Charles Myers and Alfred Jones), Butchers, Queen Street, Waimate. This business was established about the year 1873, by Mr. John Molloy, and has been conducted by the present firm since 1898. The premises consist of a double-fronted brick shop and office, with small goods and store rooms behind. There are convenient stables at the back of the main building, and the slaughterhouse of the firm is on a leasehold section of thirty-three acres on the Junction Road.
Mr. Alfred Jones, one of the partners, is a son of Mr. W. B. Jones, who was a passenger to Timaru by the ship “Strathallan,” and afterwards a hotelkeeper at Makikihi. He was born at Makikihi, in 1862, went to school in his native place and at Timaru, and learned his business at Waimate. He then had fourteen years' experience in Australia, chiefly at Paramatta, and returned to Canterbury, in 1898. Mr. Jones is attached to the Loyal Heart of Friendship Lodge Independent Order of Oddfellows, in which he has passed the various chairs. He was married in July, 1898; to a daughter of the late Mr. Joseph Scheggia, of Paramatta, and has one son and one daughter.
Manchester Brothers And Goldsmith, General Merchants, Corner of High and Queen Streets, Waimate; branches at Morven and Waihao Downs. This well known firm was founded by Messrs J. and G. Manchester and S. W. Goldsmith, in 1863. It has been continuously conducted from the small beginning of that year to the large establishment of 1903. The premises in Waimate consist of a fine corner block of buildings, and the firm's departments include groceries, ironmongery, crockery, furniture, timber, produce and other lines. Mr. Goldsmith, one of the partners, died in 1895, and the present partners in the business are the two surviving founders, and the members of their families.
Mr. George Manchester, Junior Partner in this firm, was born on the borders of Leicestershire and Lincolnshire in 1838, and was brought up to country life. He came to Timaru by the ship “Strathallan” in 1859, and has resided in South Canterbury ever since. After about four years' experience on a sheep station, he settled in Waimate and in conjunction with his brother, Mr. John Manchester and Mr. S. W. Goldsmith, founded the large mercantile firm which has since carried on business in the district. Mr. Manchester has served as a member of the Waimate Borough Council and school committee, and for many years has been a member of the High School Board of Governors. He was one of the founders of the local Wesleyan Methodist church, the first church in the district, has held office as a trustee and local preacher, and is superintendent of the Sunday school. Mr. Manchester was married, in 1865, to a Miss Chapple, of London, and has four sons and one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs G. Manchester and Family. Cox, photo.
Mr. David Andrew Taylor, Manager of the general store-keeping department of Messrs Manchester Brothers and Goldsmith's business at Waimate, was born in 1864, at Invercargill. He was educated there under Mr. A. McDonald, one of the earliest and most successful Southland teachers, and was brought up to mercantile life. In 1887 he settled at Waimate and entered the service of Messrs Manchester Brothers, in whose employment he has continued ever since, with only a few months' intermission. Mr. Taylor has served on the local school committee for six years, and was chairman for one year. He has long been connected with the Presbyterian church, and has taken a great interest in Sunday school work. He has passed through all the chairs of the Loyal Heart of Friendship Lodge of Oddfellows, and was for many years permanent secretary. As a Freemason Mr. Taylor is attached to Lodge St. Augustine, New Zealand Constitution, of which he was Worshipful Master in 1903. He was married, in 1885, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Grant, of Stirlingshire, Scotland. His wife died in 1900, leaving four sons and three daughters.
The Waimate Branch Of The Canterbury Farmers' Co-Operative Association has been represented in the Waimate district since 1895. The company holds stock sales at Studholme Junction, Waimate, and St. Andrews.
Mr. William Maynard Hynam, Agent at Waimate for the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, was born in Devonshire, England, in 1863. In 1884 he came out to New South Wales, and two years later began to work on a grazing run in Victoria, where he remained for ten years. Mr. Hynam then came to New Zealand, and settled in the Timaru district. He was sheepfarming at Temuka and Pleasant Point before becoming agent for the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association at Temuka, in 1898. In 1900 he accepted the entire charge of the stock department at Waimate. Mr. Hynam was married in December, 1900, to a daughter of Mr. W. Beeddell, of Opihi, Pleasant Point, and has two sons.
Mr. and Mrs W. M. Hynam.
The Waimate Industrial And Co-Operative Association, Limited, Queen Street, Waimate. Directors for 1903; Messrs A. Bitchener (chairman), W. Allan, J. O'Connor, J. Sullivan, A. Philip, A. Logan, J. Hiorns, H. E. McGowan, and T. Brown; page 1074 General Manager, Mr. J. H. Dean, Secretary. Mr. G. Boyd. This successful company dates from 1891, and the commodious building, where the business is conducted, was built in 1897. The premises, which stand on threequarters of an acre of land, are of brick, and contain a large double-fronted shop with two offices and a storeroom behind. There are four hundred shameholders in the company, and a satisfactory dividend and bonus is declared annually.
Mr. Josheph Howard Dean. General Manager of the Waimate Co-operative Industrial Association, was born at Cass's Bay. Banks' Peninsula, 1860. He was educated at Geraldine and Temuka, and was brought up to a mercantile life. In 1895 he was engaged as the Association's first counter hand and in 1897 was promoted to his present position. He served as a volunteer in the Geraldine Rifles for four years. As a Freemason Mr. Dean is attached to Lodge St. Augustine. New Zealand Constitution. He was also a member of the Oddfellows' Lodge in Geraldine. Since sebitting in Waimate Mr. Dean has been a member of the. Borough Council for two years, and secretary of the Waimate school committee, and for five years he acted as secretary of the Waimate Public Library He is also a member of the Agricultural and Pastrol Association. In 1830 Mr. Dean married a daughter of the late Mr. John Alder, of Te Avete, Hawke's Bay, and bus one son.
Mr. George Boyd, who has been secretary of the Waimate Industrial and Co-operative Association since 1897, was born in 1859, in Longford, Ireland. He was brought up to mercantile business in the Home Country, and came to Port Chalmers by the s.s. “Aorangi,” in 1885. Shortly afterwards he settled in the Waimate district, and was storekeping on his own account prior to joining the staff of the co-operative association in 1895. Mr. Boyd was married, in 1887, and has one son and one daughter.
Grant, Peter, General Storekeeper Corner of High and Queen Streets, Waimate. This business was established in 1873 by Messrs Cameron Brothers, who conducted in till 1892. In that year it was taken over by Messrs Shackelton and Grant. This partnership existed till 1902, when Mr. Shackleton took over the drapery, and Mr. Grant the general storekeeping department. The building occupied by Mr. Grant is a wood and iron structure of one storey, with a verandah on two sides; and there is also a building for the storage of bulk goods. Goods are delivered to customers as far as the Waitaki and Makikihi rivers. Mr. Grant was born in Perthshire, Scotland, in 1864, and came to Lyttelton in 1875, by the ship “Soukar.” He was for ten months in a chemist's shop at Waimate, and afterwards with Messrs Gaitt and Reid, where he stayed for four years. After a short time with another firm he entered the service of Cameron Brothers, in whose employment he continued for seven years, before he bought the business. Mr. Grant served for twelve years as a volunteer in the Waimate Rifles, and held the rank of captain for three years. As a Freemason he was initiated in Lodge St. Augustine, S.C., of which he was at one time secretary. He is also secretary of Court Foresters' Pride. Ancient Order of Foresters, and has passed through all the chairs. Mr. Grant was married, in 1899, to a daughter of Mr. P. Cockburn, of Waimate, and has one daughter.
Nicol And Sons (Robert Nicol), Flour Millers, Empire Roller Flour Mill, Waimate. This mill was founded in 1891 by the senior partner, and was joined by Mr. W. L. Scott in 1894, a partnership which continued till the 15th of May, 1903. The building is of brick and iron, and stands upon an acre and a half freehold. The plant is up to date in every respect, and has a capacity of from three to four sacks per hour. There is a steam engine of twenty-five horse power. which will work up to forty-five horse power. The produce of the mill is sold locally, and the surplus exported from Timaru.
Mr. Robert Nicol, the Senior Partner, is referred to elsewhere as a member of the Waimate Borough Council.
Mr. W. L. Scott.
Adams, Samuel John, Timber and Coal Merchant, Waimate. Mr. Adams was born in Devonshire, England, in 1854, and came to Lyttelton by the ship “Columbus” in 1873. From Lyttelton he went by sea to Timaru, where he had to land in the surf boats. He then went to Waimate, where he received an engagement from the late Mr. Alpheus Hayes as carpenter and millwright, and worked with him until 1887, when Mr. Hayes relinquished the business. Mr. Adams then took it over, and has since carried it on very successfully. He is Acting-Master of the Waimate St. Augustine Lodge of Freemasons, a Past Chief Ranger of the Order of Foresters, vice-president of the Acclimatisation Society, a member of the Horticultural Society, and also a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Adams was married to Miss Benbow, of Redruth, Cornwall, in 1881, and they have four sons and one daughter.
Mr. S. J. Adams.