The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Nurserymen And Fruiterers
Nurserymen And Fruiterers.
Allen, Percy Glover, Seed Merchant and Nurseryman, Stafford Street, Timaru. This business was established by the late Mr. H. M. West about the year 1882, and was acquired by the present proprietor a few years later. The premises consist of a brick building, which includes a shop and three store rooms. Mr. Allen is a grower and importer of seeds, and has gained a reputation for high class seeds. He was born in Timaru, and educated at the main school. For five years Mr. Allen served as a volunteer in the C Battery, and he is a member of the committee of the Floral and Horticultural Society.
Ferrier, photo. Mr. P. G. Allen.
Hilton, George, Fruiterer and Confectioner, Stafford Street, Timaru. This business, which was established in 1887, is conducted on the ground floor of a stone building, containing a large shop and refreshment room. The proprietor imports fruit from Australia, and maintains a large variety of the various kinds in season. Mr. Hilton was born in Surrey, England, in May, 1864. He was educated in his native country, and arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Cardigan Castle,” in 1878. He was for about eight years with Mr. Amos, who had a leading fruiterer's and confectioner's business in Timaru; and when his employer sold out Mr Hilton commenced on his own account. He has taken an active part in the local volunteer fire brigade, of which he has been secretary since 1889. He is a member of the Oddfellows' Order, Manchester Unity, and as a Freemason is attached to Lodge St. John, English Constitution. Mr. Hilton was married, in 1886, to a daughter of Mr. W. Scarf of Timaru, and has two sons and six daughters.
Lewis, John, Florist, Maori Hill, Timaru. Mr. Lewis was born in Herefordshire, England, in 1842, and when ten years of age began to gain his experience in horticulture in one of the best English nurseries. He came to Lyttelton by the ship “Blue Jacket,” in 1866, and a few months afterwards, settled in Timaru. Having brought out an assortment of seeds, he at once commenced nursery work on leased land near the site of the present South Canterbury show ground. About three years afterwards, he established himself at Maori Hill, where he has altogether five acres of freehold, an acre and a half of which is entirely devoted to nursery work. Mr. Lewis has six glass houses, three being devoted to grape growing, and three to flowers. These houses contain about 4000 square feet of glass. Mr. Lewis was one of the originators of the Timaru Horticultural Society, over thirty years ago, and has taken an active part in its management since that time. He served in the C Battery for about six years, and has been a member of the Waimataitai school committee for a long time, and chairman of that body for two years. He was married, in 1889, to a daughter of Mr. John Balls, of Annat, and has one son and one daughter.
Ferrier, photo. Mr. J. Lewis.
Ferrier, photo. Mr. A. W. Mackenzie.