The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Merchants And Warehousemen, Etc
Merchants And Warehousemen, Etc.
The Canterbury Farmers' Cooperative Association, Limited, Timaru, was formed in 1880 by the farmers of South Canterbury, and was reorganised in July, 1894. The Association has branch offices in London, Sydney, Auckland and Wellington, and a wide range of markets is, therefore, open to its shareholders. It stores grain, keeps full supplies of farmers' requisites, buys grain and grass seeds, cleans seeds and grain on behalf of growers, and effects insurances on grain, stores, stacks, homesteads, and outbuildings. The Association is agent for the Farmers' Co-operative Fire and Marine Insurance Company, and for the South British Insurance Company. It was formed to undertake the disposal of all produce grown by farmers, including the shipping of wool and grain to the United Kingdom, and other parts of the world; also, to procure for its members all supplies, station stores and other necessaries, which are required by a large farming community. The Association has a subscribed capital of £87,385, of which £43,570 has been paid up, and there is a reserve fund of £26,337. In addition to this, £7000 has been written off the freehold. The sales at the general stores amounted to £114,262 as for the year which ended on the 31st of July, 1902, and the gross turnover was £393,443. Up to the same date £69,000 had been paid in dividends and bonuses. The shareholders number 1830. The Association's stores in Heaton Street have storage capacity for 150,000 sacks. A two-storey building, with an entrance to the basement from Strathallan Street, and to the first floor from Beswick Street, has lately been constructed by the Association. Entering from Beswick Street, the offices are on the right hand side, and the grain sales department on the left, with the drapery, boots, and clothing, dressmaking, and tailoring divisions, right opposite the door. The showrooms are large and lofty, and admirably adapted for displaying the immense stock which is maintained, and between forty and fifty persons are employed in this branch. The basement of the building is devoted to the grocery, hardware, glass-ware, and saddlery departments, which have a turnover of from £80,000 to £90,000 a year. The grain stores, which are of brick and iron, are conveniently situated alongside the railway line, with which they are connected by a siding.
Mr. John Paterson Newman, Manager of the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, Ltd., is a son of the late Mr J. H. Newman, of Nelson. He was born in London in 1860, and was educated at Chigwell Grammar School, adjacent to the old “Maypole Inn,” made famous by Dickens in “Barnaby Rudge.” For between four and five years Mr. Newman served as a clerk with Messrs H. R. Williams and Co., wine merchants, Lime Street, London. In 1880, he came to New Zealand, and at once received an appointment as bookkeeper with Messrs Manning and Co., brewers, Christchurch, with whom he remained two years. He then joined Messrs Kelsey Bros., of Christchurch, as accountant, and subsequently secured an appointment with Messrs Kaye and Carter. After being with this firm about a year, Mr. Newman was appointed its manager, and held the position until February, 1898, when he resigned to take the position of manager for Messrs Wright, Stephenson and Co., stock and station agents, Invercargill. In March, 1899, he resigned this latter appointment to take up the duties of his present position. Mr. Newman was vice-president of the Christchurch Savage Club, and one of the founders of the Christchurch Forensic Club. He was also for two years a lieutenant of the Christchurch Rifles. He was a member of the Liedertafel in Christchurch from its inception, and for many years was connected with the Christchurch Musical Union. While in Invercargill he helped to form a Liedertafel there. Mr. Newman has always taken a keen interest in music and an active interest in athletics, and was a member of the Canterbury Rowing Club and the United Cricket Club for several years. Since his arrival in Timaru he has identified himself with the athletic and social clubs in the town. He is a vice-president of the Timaru Rowing Club, vice-president of the Cycle Touring Club, president of the Timaru Liedertafel, and has been elected chairman of the Woolbrokers' Association.
Mr. J. P. Newman.
Mr. Edward Havilland Rapsey, Salesman in the Hardware and Electro-plate department of the Canterbury Farmers' Association, was born in 1872, at Pareora. He was educated at the Dunedin and Timaru High Schools, and commenced his business life with an apprenticeship of four years to Messrs Lomas and Struthers, grocers, of Dunedin. In 1821 he entered the service of the Canterbury Farmers' Association, and has held his present position for some time; he is the oldest salesman in the Association. Mr. Rapsey is a member of Court Southern Cross of the Order of Foresters. He has taken a great interest in football and cricket, and is a supporter and follower of the South Canterbury hounds.
Mr. Alfred John Jones, Chief Salesman of the Grocery Department of the Canterbury Farmers' Association stores at Timaru, was born at Deptford, Kent, England, in 1863, and came with his parents to Lyttelton in 1868. He was brought up in South Canterbury, and obtained some insight into mercantile life with Mr. J. Anderson, of Timaru. He went into business on his own account at Fairlie, and afterwards removed to Timaru. For six years afterwards he was in the Government employment, He has held his position in the Canterbury Farmers' Association since 1894. Mr. Jones is a member of Court Southern Cross Ancient Order of Foresters and of the St. John's Masonic Lodge. He has served as a member of the local volunteer fire brigade since 1886, and holds office as foreman of that body. Mr. Jones was married, in 1884, to a daughter of Mr. James Scott, pilot of Lyttelton, and has three sons and three daughters.
Ferrier, photo.Mr. A. J. Jones.
Mr. John Mundell, Chief Auctioneer for the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, Ltd., Timaru, is a native of Ballyglenulla, County Antrim, Ireland. He was born in 1850, and for some years was employed on his father's stock farm. He landed in Dunedin in 1870 by the ship “James Nicol Fleming,” and came on to Canterbury, where he turned his attention to farming pursuits. When the railway line was opened he started, with Mr. Kennedy of Temuka, a line of coaches between Orari and Woodbury, via Geraldine. In 1875, Mr. Mundell took a trip to the Old Country, returning the following year. He ultimately bought out Mr. Kennedy's interest in the business, and also commenced business in Geraldine as live-stock auctioneer. In 1877 and subsequently, he erected large and extensive sale-yards there and at Temuka, and also started store-keeping at the former place. Owing to the rapid increase of the business and the wide extent of the district, he associated the Temuka and Timaru portion of the auction business with the National Mortgage and Agency Company. In 1892, he let his general store at Geraldine to the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, Ltd., and at the same time he arranged to run the auction business in connection with the association. This change in the business necessitated his removal from Geraldine, and taking up his residence in Timaru. He holds sales all over South Canterbury, the most important being held at Geraldine, Temuka, Tattersall's, and Studholme Junction yards. Mr. Mundell is a member of the Southern Star Lodge of Freemasons at Geraldine. He has always taken a keen interest in horse-flesh, and at one time was the owner of some of the best Clydesdale and thoroughbred sires in New Zealand. He still takes part in racing matters, being a member of the Geraldine and South Canterbury Jockey Clubs. He is also a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association and South Canterbury and Temuka Caledonian Societies. Mr. Mundell was married in Ireland in 1875, and has five children.
Mr. J. Mundell.
Mr. Gus Jones, Auctioneer to the Canterbury Farmers' Association, was born in 1867, in Christchurch, where he was educated. He is the second son of Mr. Joseph Jones, who was the first stationmaster in Christchurch, and for many years in Timaru. Mr. Jones entered the service of the Association in 1892, and took out a license as auctioneer in 1898. He was married, in 1902, to a daughter of Mr. T. Pringle, contractor, of Timaru.
Mr. Andrew Wilson, Ledgerkeeper to the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, was born in Glasgow, in 1870. Part of his early life was spent on the borders of the famous river Tweed, quite close to the historical “Abbotsford,” associated with the name and the fame of Sir Walter Scott. He came to New Zealand in 1879 in the ship “Invercargill,” the first port of call of which was Port Chalmers. Mr. Wilson was educated and brought up to a mercantile life in Oamaru, where he was employed until he entered the service of the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association, in 1893, as invoice clerk. In 1898 he was promoted to the position of ledger-keeper. Mr. Wilson was married, in 1897, to a daughter of Mr. Robert Morgan, of Timaru, and has one daughter.
Mr. D. J. Caldwell.
Dalgety and Co., Limited : South Canterbury branch, Stafford Street, Timaru; head office, Christchurch. The business of this branch is in charge of Mr. Hugh Lowry, manager and auctioneer. Auction sales are held periodically throughout the district.
New Zealand Loan And Mercantile Agency Company, Limited : South Canterbury branch (M. White, man ager), Stafford Street, Timaru; head office, Wellington. The South Canterbury branch of this company was established in 1875, and conducts business in a two-storey brick building in Stafford Street. The ground floor is occupied by the public and private offices, and the machinery department is at the back. There is also a large grain store, close to the railway siding. Regular auction sales of stock and produce are periodically held throughout the district. The machinery department occupies a large space, and is approached by a passage from Stafford Street. It contains an extensive showroom, with a top-light. There are several large store sheds in the yard which has an entrance from George Street. The branch keeps a large stock of agricultural implements, machinery and plant, and dairy utensils, and represents the Walter A. Wood Company, and many other well known manufacturers.
Mr. Moses White, Manager of the South Canterbury branch of the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, Limited, is an Irishman, and was born in the North of Ireland. He was educated in Fermanagh, and came to New Zealand in 1869. For a time Mr. White acted as secretary for the Timaru Landing and Shipping Company, under the late Mr. F. Le Cren. When that gentleman started the Timaru branch of the New Zealand Loan Company, in 1875, Mr. White became accountant, and held the position till the 1st of January, 1902, when he took up the duties of manager. Mr. White has always taken an intelligent interest in the development of the district, and was for several years president of the Timaru Mechanics' Institute. For some years he was churchwarden of St. Mary's, and has been secretary of the Timaru Bowling Club for some time.
Ferrier, photo.Mr. M. White.
Stonyer, H. M., Timaru, for thirteen years travelling representative and expert for the Walter A. Wood machinery, and the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, in South Canterbury.
Mr. H. M. Stonyer.
Mee, John, Grain, Wool, Tallow, Coal, and General Produce Merchant. Offices and stores, Strathallan Street, Timaru. This extensive business, so well known in South Canterbury, is conducted on a prominent site adjacent to the railway station and harbour. The premises, consisting of brick stores and offices, extend over an area of three and a-quarter acres, a private railway siding alongside the stores affording facilities for shipping direct into vessels at the wharves. Besides the wool and grain business, a very large trade is done in coal. Mr. Mee imports direct from Newcastle, and has heavy shipments from Westport and other localities in the Colony. He is the Timaru agent for the Springfield Coal and Potteries Company, and represents the Victoria Marine Insurance Company, Liverpool and Lonlon and Globe Fire Insurance Company, and acts as agent for Little's sheep dip. Mr. John Mee ranks almost as an old identity, having arrived in New Zealand in 1863 with his brother, Mr. George Mee, the well-known chemist of Wellington. Soon after his arrival, he joined the old firm of Miles and Co., of Christchurch, and was shortly afterwards appointed to represent them in Timaru, where he resided for over thirty years. On the company (Miles and Co.) going into liquidation, Mr. Mee took over their extensive stores with the wool, grain, and seed business, which he has since carried on upon his own account with marked success. He is well and favourably known to all farmers and business people of South Canterbury district, in which he has so long resided. Mr. Mee is an ardent supporter of all athletic pursuits, and though he is now over sixty years, he is still very active, and, in his leisure hours, dispels the cares of business with tennis, cycling, bowls, and boating.