The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Iron And Brass Founders, Etc
Iron And Brass Founders, Etc.
Cooper And Duncan, Limited, South Canterbury branch (H. H. Denny, manager), George Street, near railway station, Timaru. Head office, Hereford Street, Christchurch. The Timaru branch of this business was established in 1902. The showroom is in a brick and iron building, with a concrete floor, and a full stock of implements and parts is maintained at the branch.
Mr. Henry Harland Denny, Manager of the South Canterbury branch of Cooper and Duncan, Limited, was born in 1865, in Tasmania. He carried on farming on his own account for about fifteen years, but, having leased his farm for five years, he came to New Zealand for a holiday, in April, 1901. After visiting various parts of the colony, he took up his present position at Timaru, in March, 1902. Mr. Denny was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr. H. Weeks, of Tasmania.
Mr. H. H. Denny.
Currie And North (James Currie and Benjamin North), Plumbers and Gasfitters, Stafford Street, Timaru. This firm was established in 1893, and its business is conducted in a one-storey brick and plaster building containing a shop, office, and workshop. The firm keeps a full plant for the preparation of all kinds of sanitary and hot water appliances.
Mr. James Currie, Senior Partner in the firm of Currie and North, was born in 1869, in County Tyrone, Ireland. In 1876 he accompanied his parents to Lyttelton in the ship “Duke of Edinburgh,” and learned his trade under Mr. James Craigie, of Timaru. After four and a half years' experience in Melbourne, he established his present business in 1893. Mr. Currie served as a volunteer in the Melbourne Militia for two years and a half, and since his return to New Zealand has been connected with the Timaru Rifles. He is also a member of the local Lodge of Oddfellows. Mr. Currie was married, in 1895, to Miss Lawrie, of Dunedin, and has had four sons and two daughters. Both the daughters have died.
Mr. Benjamin North, Junior Partner in the firm of Currie and North, was born in London, in 1872. He came to New Zealand in 1876, and learned his trade in Timaru. Mr. North has served as a volunteer in the page 1005 C Battery, the City Rifles, and the Timaru Navals, and has been connected with the local Court of Foresters.
Hatton, Frederick, Engineer, Iron and Brass Founder, Maori Hill Foundry, Timaru. These works were established in 1872 by the late Mr. James Hatton, who died in March, 1892. The buildings are of iron and wood, and contain all the necessary machinery and plant. Mr. Hatton, the present proprietor, was born in Christchurch in 1884, learned his trade in Timaru, and afterwards gained experience in Melbourne. He worked with his father till the latter's death, and has since conducted the business on his own account. He manufactures iron work for verandahs, tomb-railings and also makes ranges and does repairs to all kinds of machinery. He has found a considerable amount of work in connection with local machinery, and has also cast fire bells both large and small. Since 1881 Mr. Hatton has been connected with the local Artillery Band, now known as the South Canterbury Battalion Band. He is a member of the Lodge of Druids, No. 11, and, as a Freemason, belongs to Lodge Caledonian No. 16.
Palmer, William John, Engineer and General Blacksmith, Stafford Street, Timaru. This business was established in 1872, by the firm of Oglivie and Byers, and was acquired by the present proprietor in November, 1898. The buildings, comprising large shops of wood and iron are erected on a section of half an acre of land. The plant is driven by an Otto gas engine of nine horse power, and includes punching, shearing, screwing, and drilling machinery, and three forges. Contracts for the erection of new iron work as well as repairs are undertaken; and verandah work is one of the specialties of the business. Mr. Palmer was born in Christchurch, on the 1st of November, 1858, served his apprenticeship at Southbridge, and afterwards gained further experience with the well-known firms, of Messrs Booth and Macdonald, and J. Anderson, of Christchurch. He was engaged in bridge construction with the latter firm and subsequently worked at Middlemarch and Hyde, in Central Otago, in connection with bridge building. During his time Mr. Palmer has erected about eighteen bridges in various parts of the South Island; he carried out a number of contracts in the Timaru district before acquiring his present business. As a Freemason he is connected with Lodge Caledonian, No. 16, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Palmer married, in 1887, a daughter of Mr. James Smeeton, a blacksmith, of Taieri, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. W. J. Palmer.
Parr, William, Engineer, Stafford Street, Timaru. This business was established by Mr. Parr in 1892, in small premises on the other side of the street. The building now occupied stands on half an acre of land. It consists of a large brick shop, with a residence adjoining and was built in 1900. The machinery is propelled by a gas engine, and there are three lathes, two of them having fourteen feet, and the other twenty-one feet beds. The planing machine is 6 feet by 8 feet and there is a 36-inch vertical drill, and a 12-inch hand-shaper, besides a key seater, screwing, bolting and other machines. The business carried on is chiefly in connection with repairing all kinds of agricultural implements, as well as marine machinery. Mr. Parr was born near Timaru, in 1870, and was educated and taught his trade in the district. He is a member of the local Lodge of Oddfellows.
Mr. W. Parr.
Reid And Gray, Agricultural Implement Manufacturers: South Canterbury Branch, Beswick Street, Timaru; Head office, Dunedin. The Timaru branch of this well known firm dates from 1887. The premises consist of a two-storey brick building, erected on a quarter of an acre of freehold land, with a frontage to Beswick Street, and a back entrance to the yard and store from Strathallan Street. The showroom contains a large assortment of the well known machinery manufactured by the firm.
Smith, R. C. and Co. (Manager, John Hancocks Smith), Farriers, Stafford Street, Timaru. This business was established in the early seventies by Mr. Cockroft, and was afterwards owned by Mr. Gardiner, Mr. Riley, and Mr. H. Cuthbertson, respectively. The present manager purchased the business on the 1st of September, 1885, and sold it to the present firm in 1899. The active partner in the business, Mr. R. C. Smith, the manager's eldest son, was killed at Rhenester Kopje, South Africa, on the 29th of December, 1899, while fighting for his country.
Mr. John Hancocks Smith, the Manager, was born at King's Winford, Staffordshire, England, on the 29th of September, 1849. His parents emigrated to Victoria in 1852, and he was apprenticed to a blacksmith at Ballarat, where he was afterwards in business with a partner for a number of years. Mr. Smith arrived at the Bluff in 1875, and found employment with Mr. Riley at Timaru. He was at Dunedin for a short time, and then found work again at Timaru for two years, until he became a member of the firm of Welsh and Smith, blacksmiths, of Pleasant Point. After eight years, Mr. Smith returned to Timaru, and bought from Mr. Cuthbertson the business he afterwards sold to his own son's firm. After a few months in business in Masterton he came back to Timaru to take the management of the Stafford Street business. He is expert in veterinary work, and is frequently consulted by local owners. Mr. Smith was married in Bendigo to the eldest daughter of the late Mr. Robert Embleton, page 1006 and has had seven daughters and two sons; one daughter and one son having died.
Mr. and Mrs J. H. Smith.