The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
White, Arthur Bennett, Teacher of Music, Assembly Rooms, Timaru. Mr. White is a son of the Rev. J. White, of Pleasant Point, and was born on the West Coast. When twelve years of age he was organist of the Richmond United Methodist Free Church, Christchurch. Subsequently he was organist at King Street Congregational Church, Dunedin, and afterwards for thirteen years at the North Presbyterian Church, Dunedin. Mr. White studied music under Mr. Corrick, of Christchurch, and Mr. Barth, of Dunedin. In January, 1899, he became organist and choirmaster at Trinity Church, Timaru, and he also conducts private classes and receives a large number of pupils.
Wood, Richard, Musician, New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company's Chambers, Stafford Street, Timaru. Private residence, Rossini Cottage, Kingsdown. Mr. Wood was born in Bramley, near Leeds, in 1838, where he received his education and was brought up to the woollen trade. Developing a taste for string music, he spent all his spare time in cultivating this talent. He removed to Guiseley, where he lived for twenty years. Mr. Wood was a pupil of the late Mr. James Thornton, a well-known and exceedingly popular musician. He spent some of his time as a music teacher, and on his leaving Guiseley, a benefit concert—conducted by Mr. Thornton—was given in his honour. After spending two seasons at Harrowgate, and one at Skegness, he came to New Zealand by the ship “Crusader” in 1883, and lived in Christchurch for some years, securing a good circle of pupils. Subsequently, he settled in Timaru. His seven children are all musical, and he is assisted in his profession by one of his daughters, who teaches both the viola and piano. Mr. Wood holds a class in his rooms every Wednesday evening, and also gives private tuition in various parts of South Canterbury, his connection being a wide one.
Mr. R. Wood.
Wolf, Sidney, Teacher of Pianoforte, Singing and Harmony, formerly of Timaru. Mr. Wolf was born in London in 1859. His father, a Hungarian and a lover of music, intended him for a commercial career, which, however, he soon abandoned, and determined to devote himself entirely to music. Arriving in Wellington early in 1880, armed with first-class credentials and letters of introduction, he was at once retained by the late Mr. R. W. Cary, impresario, at Wellington, to train choruses and principals for an amateur performance of “H.M.S. Pinafore,” which drew crowded houses in the Theatre Royal for a whole week. Mr. Wolf was afterwards engaged by the Wellington Choral society as conductor. In 1881 he was appointed conductor of Cary's “Pirates of Penzance” opera company, and brought out quite a number of operas, some of the most important being the “Pirates of Penzance,” “Sorcerer,” “H.M.S. Pinafore,” “Maritana,” “Les Cloches de Corneville,” and “Bohemian Girl.” Mr. Wolf gained splendid notices from the press and public throughout the Colony for the manner in which he conducted these performances. In 1882, he was appointed conductor of the operas produced by Signor Morley at the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition, and was commissioned to conduct comic operas for the Industrial Exhibition of Christchurch in 1883. Later he held the appointment of conductor of the choral and orchestral society in Ashburton. In 1886, he took up his residence in Timaru, and settled there as a teacher of pianoforte, singing, and harmony, and was very successful with his pupils. He left Timaru at the end of 1902, to follow his profession in Dunedin. Mr. Wolf is further referred to as a volunteer officer, at page 143, in the Military Section of this volume.
Dresden Piano Co. (South Canterbury branch), Stafford Street, Timaru; Head Office, Dunedin. The Timaru branch of this well known company was established in February, 1900. The business is carried on in a brick building, with a large piano saloon, shop and office. Mr. J. H. Coombs is manager.