Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]



Andrew, William Bale, Farmer, “Drumroslin,” Southbridge. Mr. Andrew is the third son of Mr. W. B. Andrew, of Greenpark, and was brought up to farming under the experienced tutelage of his father. He was at first in partnership with his brother, Mr. P. J. Andrew, under the title of Andrew Bros., but in 1896 he purchased his present fine estate of 418 acres, formerly belonging to Mr. Graham, and known as some of the picked land of the district. Mr. Andrew is a well known breeder of pure bred Shropshire sheep, and also carries on mixed farming. He is a member of the Southbridge Town Board, and of the Canterbury and Ellesmere Agricultural and Pastoral Associations, and was for some time a member of the Southbridge school committee. He married Miss Pannett, second daughter of Mr. H. Pannett, of Springston, and has two sons and one daughter.

Mr. and Mrs W. B. Andrew.

Mr. and Mrs W. B. Andrew.

Baxter, George, Farmer, Moville Farm, Southbridge. Mr. Baxter was born at Moville, a fashionable watering place, on Lough Foyle, Ireland, in 1837. He was brought up to farming, went to America at the age of nineteen, and for five years he was engaged in farming in Wisconsin, on the Upper Mississippi. He then returned to his native land, whence, after a residence of a few months, he sailed for New Zealand by the ship “Shalamar,” and landed at Auckland in 1862. From Auckland he went to Dunedin, and from Dunedin he came to Canterbury, which seemed to him to offer better opportunities to a colonist. He followed various occupations, such as making roads, contracting, and clearing the Halswell river, and was very successful in his undertakings. Towards the end of 1863 he purchased 260 acres of his present fine farm. He has a handsome homestead in brick and stone, and has named his property after his birthplace. When he bought his land it was in its native state, and he was the third pioneer of the district, which was then known as Cabbage-tree Flat. At first he carried on large contracts in conjunction with his farming operations, but after a while he devoted his whole energy to the improvement of his farm. Mr. Baxter has added to his farm by judicious purchase, and the estate now consists of 2000 acres, which he uses chiefly in sheepfarming. Originally he grew wheat largely, and was one of the first exporters of wheat to the English market, to which he shipped through the Leeston Farmers' Club Mr. Baxter owns a fine herd of Shorthorn cattle, and is a member of the Ellesmere Agricultural and Pastoral Associations. He married Miss Watson, and of a family of eleven sons, eight are now alive.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.Mr. G. Baxter.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. G. Baxter.

Gabbie, William Martin, Farmer, Little Rakaia. Mr. Gabbie is the eldest son
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.Mr. W. M. Gabbie

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. W. M. Gabbie

page 711 of the late Mr. Wililam Gabbie, and was born at “Mount Pleasant,” in 1875. He was educated at Little Rakaia school, and on his father's death, in 1901, succeeded to the estate. Mr. Gabbie is a breeder of sheep and of Shorthorn cattle, and obtained first prize for his exhibit of sheep and lambs at the Ellesmere show in 1901. He is unmarried.

Howson, Thomas Bell, Farmer, Sedgemere, Southbridge. Mr. Howson, who is a son of the late Mr. John Howson, a prosperous farmer at Southwait, England, was born in the parish of Skelton, Cumberland, England, in March, 1839. At the age of twenty-one he arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Harwood,” in command of Captain Forsyth, and landed at Lyttelton, in December, 1860. Mr. Howson began his colonial life by working as a farm hand, and he afterwards worked as a bushman, at Kaiapoi. Having saved sufficient capital to begin farming on his own account, he bought 170 acres of land at Cust, and farmed it until 1882, when he sold his property. He then bought 550 acres of land at Sedgemere in the Ellesmere district, and subsequently added to it by buying 182 acres of the well known Inwood property, and leasing about 193 acres on the Taumutu lagoon. He has thus in all 930 acres, on which he conducts large operations in sheepfarming and general farming. Mr. Howson has had his share of the vicissitudes and hardships, which too often fall to the lot of the farmer, especially in pioneer days. He was nearly ruined on two occasions; first, when his entire crop was totally destroyed by a hail storm in 1879, after other severe adversities, and, again, in 1895, when 195 acres were totally destroyed by hail within a week of harvest. In spite of these disasters Mr. Howson determined to succeed, and his present prosperity is the result of his perseverance. He takes an intelligent interest in all affairs relating to his district, and to general politics. In 1867 he married a daughter of Mr. John Free, a pioneer colonist of Cust and Christchurch, who arrived in the colony by the ship “Randolph”; and there is a family of five sons and seven daughters.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.Mr. T. B. Howson.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. T. B. Howson.

Hurst, Charles, Sheepfarmer, Oakleigh Estate, Southbridge. Mr. Hurst was born at Wakefield, Yorkshire, in 1828, and came out to Victoria in 1849, in the ship “Condor.” He engaged in station life for twelve months, having first visited South Australia. On the breaking out of the goldfields he tried his luck with fair success, but soon returned to the run on which he had formerly served, and subsequently became its manager. It was a property of 35,000 acres, and carried 42,000 sheep and 1600 head of cattle. The owner, Mr. J. G. Ware, became Mr. Hurst's brother-in-law, and Mr Hurst continued to manage the station until he left for New Zealand in 1857, in the schooner “Taranaki.” Shortly after his arrival here, Mr. Hurst bought Valetta run from Mr. Lockhart; it consisted of 14,000 acres and carried 9000 Merino sheep. In 1866 he bought “Oakleigh” from Mr. Fereday, and disposed of “Valetta” to Mr. W. C. Walker, now Minister of Education in the Colony, “Oakleigh” comprises 5200 acres of freehold land, of which 3300 acres are sown with artificial grasses. The improvements comprise 2700 chains of live fences, 1300 chains of substantial wire fencing, a good two-storey dwellinghouse, shrubbery, over sixty acres of plantations, a garden, an orchard, and all the necessary outbuildings. The flock at “Oakleigh” originally consisted of Merinos but in 1871 Mr. Hurst began to cross their with Mr. Every McLean's rams, and in 1872 he sold his first halfbreds at 18s. 6d. a head. Mr. Hurst was chairman of the first road board in the Upper Ashburton district. He has twice visited the Old Country, and travelled on the first occasion by the Panama route. Mr. Hurst has been twice married; firstly, in 1858, to Miss Ware, by whom he had one daughter, and secondly, in 1867, to Miss Brodie.

Mr. C. Hurst.

Mr. C. Hurst.

Inwood, William, Farmer, Southbridge. Mr. Inwood was born in England, in 1833, and came to New Zealand with his parents, in 1850. For a time he acted as manager for his father, and on the sale of the City Mill, about the beginning of 1862, removed to Southbridge with his brother James to start farming, and improve the property his father had purchased. The land was then in its native state, covered with rough vegetation and water; a perfect wilderness, without roads or fences. All this was gradually changed, and after building a house, Mr. Inwood erected a flour mill, with which he carried on a prosperous business for a number of years. Owing, however, to a decreasing supply of water and other causes, Mr. Inwood has ceased to work his mill, and concentrates his attention on his large farming interests. Mr. Inwood always took a leading part in the affairs of his district, until his impaired hearing necessitated his retirement from public bodies.

Lochhead, Walter. Farmer, “Altonbrook,” Southbridge. Mr. Lochhead is a son of the late Mr. John Lochhead, of Leeston, long one of the leading agriculturists of the district, and was born at Leeston, in 1874. He was educated in his native place, and learned farming under the instructions of his father and uncle. Mr. Lochhead was living for four years at Piahama, in Taranaki, where his experiences were such as to induce him to return to Leeston. In 1899 he purchased a portion of the well known Lees estate, and afterwards bought the homestead block of Mr. A. R. Inwood, so that he now has about 439 acres of land of the finest quality, in the highest state of cultivation. Mr. Lochhead keeps fine strains of cattle, sheep and pigs,
Mr. and Mrs W. Lochhead.

Mr. and Mrs W. Lochhead.

page 712 and is a noted breeder of draught horses. He is a member of the Ellesmere Agricultural and Pastoral Association. As a Freemason, he is a member of Lodge Progress, Southbridge. Mr. Lochhead married Miss Cowan, daughter of the late Mr. John Cowan, a prominent settler in the early history of Canterbury.

McMillan, David, Farmer “Beachcroft,” Southbridge. Mr. McMillan arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Rose of Sharon” in 1857, and devoted himself successfully to agricultural and pastoral pursuits. About 1874 he became a member of the local school committee and road board, and was for sometime chairman of these bodies. On the passing of the Counties Act in 1876, he was elected to a seat on the Selwyn County Council, and continued a member for twenty years, during eleven of which he was chairman. Mr McMillan was elected to the House of Representatives for Coleridge at the general elction in 1881, and sat for that constituency during two parliaments. He was appointed a member of the Canterbury Land Board in 1883, but resigned in 1900, on account of absence while visiting Scotland and other countries. Mr. McMillan is a member of the Canterbury Plantation Board, and was for some time a member of the Lyttelton Harbour Board. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1884. Mr. McMillan has been for many years a member of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and was president for the year 1897. He is also a member of the Ellesmere Agricultural and Pastoral Association, of which he was president in 1894, and is on the Board of Governors of Canterbury Agricultural College, Lincoln, with which he was connected as a member of the Board of Advice when the College was under the control of the Canterbury College Board of Governors.

Ruddock, Edward, Sheepfarmer, “Fieldmont,” Southbridge. Mr. Ruddock was born in Armagh, Ireland, in 1839. He arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Sebastopol” in 1863. After some time spent in looking round Canterbury he received the appointment of manager of Beechcroft estate, Southbridge, for Mr. Jollie, then Provincial Secretary, with whom he remained until 1867. Mr. Ruddock then purchased his present property of 366 acres, then partly in tussock and in its wild natural state. By draining, fencing, and other improvements, Mr Ruddock soon altered the appearance of the place. Subsequently he leased two other areas of 477 and 391 acres respectively, and now carries on large operations in sheepfarming, as well as in mixed farming. He has given much attention to the breeding of Shorthorn cattle, and has obtained several first prizes at various shows. Mr. Ruddock was for some time a prominent and active member of the Ellesmere Road Board, but ill health has compelled him not to seek re-election. He has been a member of the Ellesmere Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and a successful prize-taker in draught horses. Mr. Ruddock is a member of the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association, and a large shareholder in that institution. Mr. Ruddock was married in Ireland, and of a family of nine children, four sons and four daughters are alive.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.Mr. E. Ruddock.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. E. Ruddock.

Storry, Andrew, Sheepfarmer, “Crofthead,” Southbridge. Mr. Storry is a native of Whitburn parish, Linlithgowshire, Scotland. He was born in 1821, and is the second son of Mr. James Storry, of “Northfield.” After farming for a number of years, he decided to try a colonial life, and sold his farm “East Longridge.” He came to New Zealand in 1864, in the ship “Aboukir,” and landed at Port Chalmers, but afterwards removed to Marlborough, where he passed twelve months. Mr. Storry took up the main portion of his present farm in 1865, part from the Crown and part secondhand, but all in its native state of tussock and cabbage trees. He has always carried on a mixed system of farming, growing grain and grazing a number of sheep and cattle. English Leicester rams and halfbred or crossbred ewes are in favour as the stock from which to raise fat lambs for the export trade. Mr. Storry has also a number of Polled Angus cattle, which he finds well adapted for his farm. In early days Mr. Storry took an active interest in getting a school established in the district, and the cemetery board organised, also the River Board of Conservators, and the Ellesmere Agricultural and Pastoral Association; but of recent years he has not taken much part in district affairs. He has always taken an active interest in the Presbyterian church. Mr. Storry was married to Janet, third daughter of Mr. John Wilson, “Townhead,” Carluke, Lanarkshire, and has two sons and three daughters.

Mr. A. Storry.

Mr. A. Storry.

Willis, Charles Hugh, Farmer. Southbridge. Mr. Willis is the fifth son of the late Captain Willis, J. P., of “Willisden,” Southbridge, who came to New Zealand by the ship “Merope” in 1870, and died in 1897, leaving a widow, six sons and one daughter. Mr. C. H. Willis was born in the Isle of Man, and at the age of nine years accompanied his parents to New Zealand. On leaving school he entered the office of the late Mr. L. V. Desborough, a merchant engaged in very extensive operations at Southbridge, and there he remained five years. Mr. Willis then started business on his own account, and carried it on for thirteen years, when, owing to the death of his father, he had to superintend the management of the large family estate. Mr. Willis has always taken a prominent part in the public affairs of the district. He is a Justice of the Peace for New Zealand, and acting-coroner for Ellesmere. For years he has been a member of the Southbridge school committee, of which he was for five
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.Mr. C. H. Willis.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. C. H. Willis.

page 713 years chairman. He is a member of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and also of the Ellesmere Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Willis has always taken a keen interest in stock breeding, and is a successful exhibitor at the Ellesmere show. Since 1898 he has been a church warden of St. James' church, Southbridge, and is also a member of the Southbridge Town Board. Mr. Willis has taken a leading part in the New Zealand Farmers' Union, and is secretary of the Ellesmere branch. He is married, and has one son and one daughter.