The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Sutherlands is named after the first settler, Mr. Alexander Sutherland, whose farm adjoins the railway station, which is seventeen miles from Timaru on the branch line to Fairlie, and stands 349 feet above the sea. There is a local post office and a public school. The population at the last census was set down at forty-two, but that number can represent only those who live in the immediate vicinity of the railway station.
The Sutherlands Post Office has been conducted at the residence of Mrs Ann Samms for sixteen years, and the telegraph bureau was established in September, 1901. Mails are received and despatched daily. Miss Annie Samms acts as postmistress.
The Public School at Sutherlands is built of wood and iron, and contains one class room and a porch, with accommodation, for forty children. There are thirty names on the roll, and the average attendance is twenty-six. The playground is large, and sheltered by well grown trees, and there is a five-roomed house for the teacher.
Mr. Leonard Richmond Ellis, teacher in charge of Sutherlands School, was born at Orari, where he was educated and served his pupil-teachership. He was appointed to his present position in October, 1902.
Cochrane, Michael, Farmer and Builder. “Water Side,” Sutherlands. Mr. Cochrane was born in 1855, at Darval, Ayrshire, Scotland. He was apprenticed as a joiner, and afterwards worked on the Landfine estate for eight years. In 1881 he landed in Port Chalmers, and worked at his trade at Timaru for two years. He was afterwards employed for four years at Sherwood Downs station, until he settled at Sutherlands, where he purchased the ten acres of land upon which his homestead now stands. Mr. Cochrane also works forty acres of leasehold, and still undertakes contracts for building. He has erected the creameries at Pleasant Point and St. Andrews, and a good many residences in South Canterbury. While in Scotland he served in the Ayrshire battalion for three years, and since settling at Sutherlands has been a member of the local school committee for nine years. Mr. Cochrane was married in Ayr, in 1880, to a daughter of the late Mr. Peter Hunter, of Momentend, Ayrshire, and has five sons and three daughters.
Loudoun Estate, Sutherlands. This estate is the property of Mr. Andrew Cleiand, and contains 2000 acres; the first portion of which was bought from the Government in 1874, when it was part of the Levels run then leased by the New Zealand and Australian Land Company. “Londoun” is devoted chiefly to the production of wool and freezers, of which large numbers are annually available, and the flock is made up of Border Leicesters and Merino crosses. About 250 acres are in grain and 100 acres in rape, and about the same area in rye and turnips. The improvements consist of a large concrete dwellinghouse, stables, and other outbuildings erected of stone and iron, and there is a good garden and an orchard, sheltered by a wellgrown plantation. The property is sub-divided into twenty-six paddocks, by 1100 chains of gorse and 520 chains of wire fencing. Horses and cattle are bred only for the requirements of the property.
Mr. Andrew Cleland was born in the parish of Loudoun, Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1845. He followed farming in his early years and came to New Zealand in 1864 by the ship “Robert Henderson.” Mr. Cleland was page 944 a member of the Levels Road Board from 1875 to 1880, and of the school committee. He was one of those who organised the Sutherlands school and who bought eight acres for a site, playgrounds, and a paddock for horses. He took a similar part in establishing the Totara Valley school. Mr. Cleland was married, in 1872, to Miss Gardner, and they have four sons and four daughters. Mrs Cleland is a native of Fifeshire, Scotland, and came to New Zealand with her parents in 1868 by the ship “Viola.” Mr. and Mrs Cleland went to England, via Melbourne, in one of the Orient liners, in 1881, and came back to New Zealand by way of the Cape.
McLeod, James, Farmer, Dunvegan, Sutherlands. Mr. McLeod was born in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, in October, 1840, and followed a country life until coming to Lyttelton in 1864. Early in the following year he went as shepherd to Three Springs station, Fairlie, and then for fifteen months to Opawa station, and for seventeen years afterwards was on the Levels estate, the first nine years as shepherd, and then as overseer, residing at the Cave. Mr. McLeod rented a farm for ten years at Orari, and at the end of that period removed to Temuka, where he resided for five years. In 1886 he bought his property of 200 acres at Sutherlands, where he has resided since. 1896. Mr. McLeod was for ten years a member of the Orari school committee, and was its chairman for five years. He was married, on the 18th of August, 1864, the day he left the Old Country, to a daughter of the late Mr. John McLeod, of Sutherlandshire, Scotland, and has two sons and two daughters.
Shepherd, James, Dunnichen Farm, Sutherlands. Mr. Shepherd was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1842, and followed farming during his early years. He emigrated to Queensland in 1866, but soon afterwards came to New Zealand. He was in Southland for two years, and then removed to Otago, where he remained five years. In 1873 he removed to South Canterbury, where he entered into the business of cropping. In 1881 he bought his present farm of 350 acres from the New Zealand and Australian Land Company, and subsequently added 400 acres of leasehold. The property as a whole is devoted chiefly to breeding and fattening sheep. In order to renew the pasturage with the necessary regularity, Mr. Shepherd annually crops a considerable area of his land with grain and roots. Mr. Shepherd keeps Leicester sheep and their crosses. The improvements on the property are of a permanent and substantial character, and the dwellinghouse commands a fine view of the plains and the sea. Mr. Shepherd has served on the school committee and was chairman for several years. He has been twice married, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. J. Shepherd.
Sutherland, Alexander, Farmer, Sutherlands. Mr. Sutherland was born in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, in 1832. He was brought up to country life, and carried on farming on his own account before coming to New Zealand by the ship “Echunga,” in 1862. After working for a year on the Opawa station, he found employment in general road work in the Timaru district, and soon afterwards purchased thirty-two acres of freehold land, upon which his homestead now stands. He has increased his farm to nearly 400 acres, which is all in cultivation, and he also owns a like area at Albury. When Mr. Sutherland settled in the district in 1868, the whole country was in tussock; there were no formed roads and very few buildings at Pleasant Point, and only shepherds' huts at the Cave, and the building of sods which served him for a house in the early days still stands. He was the first to plough at Opawa, Mount Nessing, and Albury stations, and also the first to reap grain in the Fairlie district with a Saunder's side-delivery. His present homestead is built of stone out of his own quarry, and put together with lime burnt on his own farm. Sandytown, one of the suburbs of Timaru, is named after Mr. Sutherland, who has served as a member of the local school committee, and has taken an active interest in connection with the Presbyterian church. Mr. Sutherland was married, in 1858, to a daughter of the late Mr. George McKenzie, of Tain, Scotland, and has a surviving family of four daughters and two sons.
Mr. A. Sutherland.
Mr. Frederick Samms was born in Essex, England, in 1845. He went to sea early in life, and came to New Zealand when quite a boy. For some time he was engaged in the landing service at Timaru, and in 1871 he bought fifty acres of land at Sutherlands. where he afterwards increased his area to 200 acres. Mr. Samms worked for a time on the roads; and farmed his land up to the time of his death, in July, 1881. He was married in July, 1864, to a daughter of the late Mr. George McKenzie, of Ross-shire, Scotland, and left four daughters.
Mrs Ann Samms, widow of the late Mr. Frederick Samms, was born in Ross-shire, Scotland, and came to Timaru by the ship “Echunga,” in December, 1862. She is a sister of Mrs A. Sutherland, of the Cave.