The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Brown, James, Farmer, German Bay Mr. Brown was born at Akaroa in 1854. He was apprenticed to a trade which was not congenial to his taste, and after serving about half his time he left and followed farming. He purchased his farm of 105 acres in 1876, when the land was almost all in its native state. The farm, however, is now highly improved, with good buildings and conveniently-sized, well-fenced paddocks, devoted to dairying and grass seed growing. Mr. Brown has served on the road board and school committee, and he took an active part in organising the dairy factory. He was married, in 1878, to Miss Sunckell, and has three sons and four daughters.
Curry, William, Farmer, German Bay. Mr. Curry was born in 1848, in County Armagh, Ireland, where he was educated and worked on his father's farm. He came to New Zealand in 1869, by the ship “Siberia,” and went direct to the Peninsula, where he has been settled ever since. Mr. Curry has a farm of 150 acres, which is devoted to dairying and raising grass seed. he keeps Shorthorn cattle and crossbred sheep. The improvements on Mr. Curry's farm include a comfortable dwellinghouse, with a garden and orchard, and good outbuildings and fences. Mr. Curry has served on the school Committee for twenty years. He married Miss Mullins and has five sons and five daughters.
Mr. W. Curry.
Harrington, Edward, Farmer, German Bay. Mr. Harrington was born in Essex, England, in 1836, and was educated at Debdon public school. At fourteen years of age, he left the port of London for New Zealand, in the barque “Monarch,” which arrived at Akaroa in 1850. For about twenty-five years Mr. Harrington was engaged in various pursuits on the Peninsula, and in 1875 acquired his present holding of about 141 acres, in German Bay. He was married, in 1863, to Miss A. Breitmeyer, and has three sons and two daughters.
Odell, George, Farmer, German Bay. Mr. Odell was born at Odell, in Bedfordshire, England, in 1841, and followed farming during his early years. He came to New Zealand in 1863, in the ship “Metropolis,” and went straight to the Peninsula, where he bought his first section of thirty acres in 1864. He now has 250 acres, all reclaimed from the wilderness. At first he kept dairy cattle, out now his land is stocked with sheep, and the most profitable cross for fat lambs for the export trade is, he finds, one between the English Leicester ewe and the Shropshire ram. Mr. Odell has served on the road board and school committee, and is a vestryman in the church. He was married, in 1863, to Miss Child, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. G. Odell.
Sunckell, William Henry, Farmer, German Bay. Mr. Sunckell is the third son of the late Mr. John Sunckell, and was born in Akaroa, in 1867, and educated at the local public school. He left school at the age of twelve, and for some years found page 631 employment with the settlers, after which he took contracts from the various local bodies. In 1890, Mr. Sunckell, in conjunction with his brother, took up the estate formerly conducted by his father, and commenced dairy farming. He is a director of the German Bay Co-operative Dairy Factory Company, Limited of which he is a supplier, and has, for a number of years, been a member of the local school committee. Mr. Sunckell was married, in August, 1897, to Miss Jane Levaillant, daughter of an early settler in Robinson's Bay, and has one son and three daughters.
Wrigglesworth & Binns, photo.
Mr. W. H. Sunckell.