The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Leamington is a small settlement about five miles from McKenzie. It is a lovely valley of rich land, and is devoted chiefly to sheep farming. There is a small public school, centrally situated, in the district.
The Leamington Public School contains a single class room and a porch, and has accommodation for seventeen childien, which is the exact number on the roll, and the average attendance is sixteen. The land attached is several acres in extent, but no schoolhouse has been erected.
Miss Agnes Hamilton McPherson, Teacher-in-charge of the Leamington school, was born in Glasgow, and arrived at Lyttelton, with her parents, by the s.s. “Doric,” in 1886. Miss McPherson was educated at Kaapoi. She served her pupil-teachership at McKenzie town school, and received her present appointment in March, 1902.