The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
A number of foreign consuls reside in Christchurch, and may be seen at their respective places of business. They devote special attention to commercial matters, in connection with which they are in constant communication with the countries they represent, and are supplied with full and official information. The consul for Belgium is Mr. J. J. Kinsey, of Messrs Kinsey, Barns, and Co., 176 Hereford Street, Christchurch, and Norwich Quay, Lyttelton; for Denmark, Mr E. C. Skog, 191 Armagh Street; for France, Mr G. Humphreys, of Messrs Fletcher, Humphreys, and Co., 31 Cathedral Square; for Germany, Mr P. Kippenberger, 198 Hereford Street; for Italy, Mr T. Wallace, 253 Gloucester Street; for Sweden and Norway (viceconsulate), Mr F. Graham, 200 Hereford Street; and for the United States of America, Mr R. Pitcaithly, 108 Manchester Street.
Mr. Joseph James Kinsey, Consul for Belgium, in the provincial districts of Canterbury, Nelson, Marlborough, and Westland, has occupied that position since 1898. Mr. Kinsey was born in Kent, England, in 1852, and educated at the Royal Naval School. Greenwich. He was afterwards master at Dulwich College for nine years, and resigned in 1880, to come to Christchurch, New Zealand, with the intention of entering commercial life. Mr. Kinsey, who is known as a partner in the firm of Kinsey, Barns and Co., was married, in 1872, and has one daughter. In him matters bearing on the welfare of the community have always found a warm sympathiser and active supporter.
Mr. Emil Christian Skog, J.P., Consul for Denmark, was born at Copenhagen in 1848, and educated at the Grammar School in Zealand. Mr. Skog is an apothecary, having served his apprenticeship in his native country and qualified in due course. He held a commission as lieutenant in the Danish army, and after serving five years, left his motherland for New Zealand, arriving in Napier in 1875, by the ship “Friedeburg,” as a first-class passenger. Mr. Skog was engaged in business in Napier until 1881 when he came to Canterbury, and was assistant manager for Messrs. Cook and Ross, chemists, until the death of Mr. Ross in 1893, when he became manager, which position he occupied till October, 1901, when he commenced business on his own account at the Central Pharmacy in Colombo Street. In 1884 Mr. Skog was appointed vice-consul for Denmark, and nine years later received the appointment of Consul for the South Island of New Zealand. Mr. Skog acted as examiner on the Pharmacy Board of New Zealand while the office was in Christchurch. As a member of the Masonic Order, he is a past master of Lodge Canterbury, 1048, E.C., and a past Z. of the Royal Arch Chapter Canterbury Kilwinning, S.C., also a member of the R.C. Chapter No. 135 (18th degree). Mr. Skog was married in Denmark to Miss Sprick, of Copenhagen, and has one daughter.
Mr. George Humphreys, Consular Agent for France, Cathedral Square, Christchurch. Mr. Humphreys was born in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England, in 1848, educated at a private school in his native place, and brought up to commercial life in the firm of Messrs Henry Rogers, Sons, and Co., metal merchants, of London and Wolverhampton. He came to New Zealand in 1869 and soon after entered the service of the oldestablished firm of Messrs Morrison, Sclanders, Fletcher, and Co., merchants, Christchurch. On the dissolution of the partnership of the firm, the retiring partner, Mr John Johnston Fletcher, in conjunction with Mr. Humphreys, established the present firm of Messrs Fletcher, Humphreys, and Co., wine, spirit, and general merchants. After the death of Sir Fletcher in 1889 Mr. William Thomas Charlewood, of Christ's College, entered into partnership with Mr. Humphreys, but the new firm retained the old name. Mr. Humphreys was appointed French Consul in 1899, but during his recent sojourn in Europe Mr. Charlewood performed the duties of the position. For many years Mr. Humphreys has taken a leading position in commercial and other affairs connected with Christchurch. He was president of the Chamber of Commerce in 1892. Prior to his recent visit to England Mr. Humphreys took an active part in promoting the organisation and facilitating the despatch of the New Zealand First Contingent sent for service in South Africa, and raised and equipped by means of private subscriptions.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. P. Kippenberger.
Mr. Thomas Wallace, Vice-Consul for Italy, is referred to in another article as local manager of the Canterbury district agency of the Phœnix Fire and Marine Assurance Company of London.
Mr. Frank Graham, Vice Consul for Norway and Sweden, is a well-known figure in the leading business circles in Christchurch He is referred to at length as a member of the Lyttelton Harbour Board.
Mr. Robert Pitcaithly, Consular Agent for the United States of America in Christchurch, was born in Lyttelton in 1859, and educated at St. John's Presbyterian Church school. Mr. Pitcalthly entered the employment of Messrs. Cuff and Graham in 1871, and continued with them as managing clerk until 1895, when in conjunction with his partners he took over the business. He was appointed consular agent for the United States in September, 1895. For a number of years he has been a member of the Lyttelton Harbour Board, representing the City of Christchurch. Mr. Pitcaithly is a member of the Industrial Association of Canterbury, and of the Christchurch Chamber of Commerce.
Don Francisco Arenas, Vice-Consul for Spain during the years between 1879 and 1900, was the first Consul appointed for that country in New Zealand. He arrived at Hokitika in 1859, and has had a wide and varied experience, has witnessed the rapid progress of the colony, and been connected with almost every phase of its commercial life. Being of a practical and progressive disposition, he has met with prosperity at every turn, and now, at the age of sixty-nine years, lives in retirement in a favoured spot in Cashel Street. Don Arenas is widely esteemed amongst his fellow colonists for the liberality of mind and largeness of heart he has manifested in times of public and private need and in connection with institutions of charity. Nor has he forgotten the claims of his countrymen in romantic and immemorial Spain. As an instance of his mindfulness in that respect he sent £1000 in aid of those whose homes had been wrecked at Malagar, by the memorable earthquake which occurred in 1886. Mr. Arenas was born in the city of Barcelona in 1842. He was educated at the Government schools, and subsequently in died at St. Carroll's College, his education including a thorough acquaintance with five different languages. He was married, in 1872 to an English lady, daughter of Mr. Thomas Berell, of Northampton, England. She died in Spain, in 1878, leaving two children. Don Arenas married again in 1880, and of this union four children have been born.