The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Professional, Commercial And Industrial
Professional, Commercial And Industrial.
Clements, Arthur C., Pastrycook and Confectioner, corner of Colombo and Sandyford Streets, Sydenham. Mr. Clements is a native of Southland, New Zealand. He learned his trade in Christchurch, and after serving five years with Messrs W. and E. Broadway, he started business in the premises which he still occupies. This shop has two attractive fronts, one on Colombo Street and one on Sandyford Street. The counter trade is one of the best in the Sydenham district. Mr. Clements also does an extensive business in supplying parties, socials, picnics, etc., in connection with which he receives a large amount of support. As a Druid, Mr. Clements is a member of the Oak of Sydenham Lodge.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. A. C. Clements.
Neave, D. And Son, Bakers, 70 Montreal Street, Sydenham. This business was originally established in 1863 by Mr Alexander Fraser. It was purchased by Mr Neave in 1880, and is now carried on by his son, Mr. John Neave, but Mr. Neave, senior, is still connected with the business. The premises in Montreal Street consist of a bakehouse, a large grain and flour store, stables, and a large two-storey dwellinghouse, with half an acre of land.
Mr. D. Neave is a native of Forfarshire, Scotland, where he learned his business. He arrived in New Zealand by the sailing ship “Milwall,” and immediately started to work at his trade. Finding the country and climate to his liking, Mr. Neave sent for his wife and family, who arrived by the sailing ship “Waimate” in 1875. After working for seven years at his trade in Christchurch, he purchased the business of Mr. Plumridge, and the premises of Mr. Fraser, in Sydenham. In 1899 Mr. Neave purchased a farm at Ladbrooks. It was managed by himself and his son Henry, but upon the latter's departure with the New Zealand Third Contingent to fight in South Africa, the farm was let. Mr. Neave has been a member of the Bobby Burns Masonic Lodge, No. 604, for twenty years, of the Caledonian Society of Canterbury for twenty years, and also a member of the Protestant Alliance for twenty-eight years. Mr Neave has four sons and one daughter.
Allen, Walter S., Builder and Contractor, Colombo Road. Sydenham. Mr. Allen served an apprenticeship as a ship-joiner in Blackwall, with one of the largest shipbuilding firms in England, and afterwards worked for five years as a journeyman ship-joiner. He assisted in fitting up the luxurious pleasure yacht for the Khedive of Egypt. He arrived in Lyttelton by the steamship “Atrata,” from Blackwall, in 1874, and immediately entered into business as a builder and contractor. Mr. Allen has erected a very large number of villa residences, houses, and cottages in Christchurch, Sydenham, Sumner, and other places, and has also built many of the principal business premises in the borough of Sydenham. As an Oddfellow he has been a member of the Loyal Volunteer Lodge, Sydenham, since 1874. He is a member of the Builders' Association of Canterbury. Mr. Allen was married in Tottenham, a suburb of London, and has two daughters and one son.
Standish and Preece, photo. Mr. W. S. Allen.
Chegwin, Edward C., Builder and Contractor, 70 Queen Street, Sydenham. Mr. Chegwin is a native of Cornwall, England, and arrived in New Zealand in 1873. He has carried out numerous important contracts in and about Christchurch, and has a large workshop at which he keeps a number of men in constant employment. Mr Chegwin is a member of the Builders' Association of Canterbury. As a Freemason, he is attached to Lodge Concord.
Down, John, Builder and Contractor, and Agent for the National Mutual Fire and Marine' Insurance Company, Limited, of New Zealand, Rosewarne Street, Addington, Sydenham. Mr. Down is a native of Devonshire, England, where he learned his trade by serving an apprenticeship of five years with his father. He afterwards worked for seven years in Plymouth, the greater part of the time as foreman. In 1879 he left England by the steamship “Norfolk,” and arrived in New Zealand the same year. Mr. Down settled in Christchurch and started in business as a builder and contractor. He has confined himself chiefly to the building of villa residences and dwellinghouses, though he built Tabart's grain stores, in conjunction with Mr W. W. Smith, and has also built several public schools in different parts of Canterbury for the Education Board. and made extensive alterations and new fittings at the Agricultural College, Lincoln. Mr Down designs most of the houses he builds. He sometimes has a couple of dozen men employed on his contracts, in addition to the staff in the joinery workshop in Rosewarne Street. Mr. Down has taken an active interest in public affairs for a considerable time. He is member of the Christchurch Drainage Board, an ex-chairman of the Spreydon Road Board, a member of the Addington school committee, choirmaster for the Selwyn Street Wesleyan Church, secretary for the trustees of the same church, teacher of the adult. class in the Sunday school, and a chartered member of the Perseverance Lodge of Druids, Addington.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. Down.
Hammett, John, Builder and Contractor; Sawing, Planing. and General Joinery Works, 63 Selwyn Street, Addington, Sydenham. Mr. Hammett arrived in Christchurch in 1883, and very soon afterwards started in business as a builder and contractor. He has erected a large number of buildings in the Christchurch district; such as Messrs D. H. Brown. and Sons' Brookfield roller mills and grain stores. Mr Beswick's private residence at Fendalton, and the late Mr. John Deans' house at Riccarton—the last-mentioned close to the site of the first house erected in Canterbury. Owing to the large increase in his business, Mr. Hammett has recently erected one of the most modern joinery plants in New Zealand. The whole of the machinery, which was made by the celebrated firm of Messrs Sagar and Co., of Halifax, England, is driven by a powerful engine. His planing and moulding machine, which is used for raised door panels, mouldings, and architraves, can be adjusted to cut the most complicated designs, and the work turned out is so true and clean that very little labour is required to give it a high finish. The panelling machine, which is also strongly built, does its work equally well. A band saw, a circular, crosscut saw, and a mortising machine form part of the plant. The workshops and machine room are skilfully planned; the shafting for driving the various machines is under the floor—a contrivance which minimises the chances of accident, and admits of the long lengths of timber being moved about without inconvenience. The proprietor has a large permanent staff of expert workmen, some of whom have been with him for many years Mr. Hammett is a native of Sandford, Devonshire, England. He served an apprenticeship in Exeter, and was afterwards in the employment of Messrs Cubits and Son. London. It was while with this firm that Mr Hammett gained a practical knowledge of the application of machinery and joinery work.
Standish and Preece photo.
Mr. J. Hammett.
Jones, Edward, Carriage Builder, Sydenham Carriage Works. Colombo Street. Mr. Jones arrived in the Colony in 1863 by the ship “Lancashire Witch,” and is a native of Stourbridge, Worcestershire. He learnt his trade under his father in England, and on arriving in New Zealand worked at his calling for various employers for about five years before starting on his own account in Tuam Street, Christchurch. This business he conducted for about ten years, selling it out then and purchasing the present concern in 1880. Mr. Jones has made many improvements in several classes of vehicles, especially in four-wheelers, vans, and steel-framed roadsters, and imports steel and other requisites. The premises cover about a quarter of an acre of ground.
Hill, Anthony, Manufacturer of Aerated Waters, etc., Wordsworth Street, Sydenham. Mr. Hill established his business shortly after his arrival in the Colony in 1879, on a very modest scale in Colombo Street. With a rapidly increasing trade, which was the first of the kind started in Christchurch, he soon found it necessary to occupy larger premises, and moved to his present place in Wordsworth Street, where he erected a more extensive plant, suitable for the manufacture of all descriptions of aerated beverages. Additions to the factory became necessary with the growing business. The plant Includes three filling and corking machines, siphons, and a two horse-power steam engine. Twelve thirty-six gallon barrels are In use for the production of hop. beer alone, and the purest artesian water is obtained for all purposes. Mr, Hill has been successful by careful Industry in creating one of the largest businesses in Christ-church for miscellaneous and summer beverages.
Davies, T. H., Painter, Decorator and Paperhanger, 6S and 70 Colombo Road, Sydenham, Mr. Davies started business in 1885 in Christchurch, and after two successful years he erected his present premises, which are the largest in their line in Canterbury. The double-fronted shop is beautifully decorated. and contains a large picture of the Blue Room at Buckingham Palace, characterised by perfect perspective, harmonious colouring, and admirable technique. Mr. Davies has decorated the private residences of Dr. Jennings, the late Mr. John Deans, of Riccarton, Mr. A. E. G. Rhodes, Mr. McDougall, Papanui Road, and others, and also such public buildings as the Canterbury Hall, the Public Trust Office, the business houses of Messrs Strange and Co. and the Christchurch Gas Company's new offices and show rooms. Mr. Davies was born at Papanui in 1860. He served an apprenticeship with Mr. C. Duggan, and after working for four years as a journeyman, he started in business, and now employs a permanent staff of twenty-five men. Examples of his work may be seen in the shop, the interior of which is beautifully decorated, especially with landscapes. In the showroom upstairs the colour scheme is quiet and subdued, the tints blending harmoniously with the rich furnishings of the room. The wall papers are displayed on a patent rack, which enables with visitor to inspect all specimens and varieties while he sits in the room. The sign and ticket-writing department is at the rear of the building, and the stock includes the various styles of art glass, murenies—figured, coloured, and plain; paints, mixed and dry, oil coloured, brushes, and artists' materials. Mr. Davies is agent for the celebrated Sherwin-Williams Mixed Paint. and also the cameoid decorations and xylo cornices and mouldings. Some fine samples or these materials are exhibited in the shop.
Manhire, Bethel Prinn, Painter, Paperhanger and Glazier, Sydenham. Mr. Manhire is a native of Canterbury, and after learning his trade he visited Australia, where he gained much valuable experience. On his return to Christchurch he established himself in business in Sydenham in 1887, and has since that time met with considerable success. He now has an extensive connection throughout Sydenham and the surrounding districts. Mr. Manhire is a Justice of the Peace, and has been twice mayor of Sydenham, and took a prominent part in the work in connection with the Jubilee of Canterbury, the sending off of contingents to the war in South Africa, and many other important public functions. Before finally retiring from the mayor's chair he laid the foundation stone of the new municipal buildings of Sydenham.
Gill, Robert Askew, Draper, London House, 44 Colombo Road, Sydenham. Mr. Gill, who is a native of Cumberland, was apprenticed in Maryport, and resided in London for some years. On arriving in the Colony in 1887 by the s.s. “Tongariro” he established his present business. Mr. Gill is a direct importer, and keeps up a large stock of all goods, specialties being made of hosiery and ladies' corsets.
Booth And Macdonald (George Thomas Booth), Agricultural Implement-Makers, Carlyle Implement Works, Carlyle Street, Sydenham. Private residence, Wind mill Road, Sydenham. This firm was established in 1882 by the present proprietor in conjunction with Mr. R. M. Macdonald, but has been conducted solely by Mr. Booth since 1886. The works occupy a leasehold section of one acre and a half in extent, and the main portion of the factory is a large iron building comprising the fitting, blacksmith. and wheelwright's shops. The fitting shop is completely equipped with four large lathes, three vertical drills, three screwing, one planing, and two emery-grinding machines. There is also a large Root's blower for providing a blast to two cupolas which have a capacity respectively of thirty and fifty hundredweight per hour. Behind this building there is a twelve horse-power horizontal engine. with a sixteen horse-power boiler built in a separate space at the back. In the blacksmith's department there are nine forges, which are worked by means of a large air-fan; also a seven hundredweight steam-hammer, besides a shearing-machine, grinders. coke-crusher, two large grindstones, and a rumbler for cleaning castings. The joinery machinery in the wheelwright's shop comprises a vertical borer, saw bench, a circular saw with rising table. a band-saw, a spoke-machine, and other necessary plant. The paint-shop adjoins the main building, and is connected with the packing shed. On another part of the premises is the moulding-shed which has two core ravans. In the pattern-shop there are two separate pattern stores. The plant also includes crucible steel and brass furnaces and a pump testing-machine. At the back of the section there is a large new store measuring 100 feet by 35 feet, and an old building also used for storing purposes. Messrs. Booth and Macdonald manufacture single and treble ploughs, discs, tine-harrows, grubbers, broadcast-sowers, turnip and manure drills, horse-power and hand chaff-cutters, spring and block drays, Cambridge rollers, wool-presses, windmills, pumps of all descriptions and other appliances too numerous to be mentioned in a summary. Over 100 hands are employed in the works, which are supervised by experts in charge of the various departments.
Hadfield, John, Bootmaker, 98 Colombo and Elizabeth Streets, Sydenham. Mr. Hadfield was born in Glossop, Derbyshire, England, in 1857, and came to New Zealand with his parents by the ship “Indian Empire” in 1865. He established his present business in 1889, and it has made steady progress. Mr. Hadfield is referred to in another article as a member of the Sydenham Borough Council.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. A. S. Bull.
Forrester, James, Butcher, 47 and 49 Colombo Street. Sydenham, and Lower High Street, Christchurch. Telephone, Colombo Street, 671; High Street, 679. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Kelvin House, Battersea Street, This Business was established in 1874, the main shop is in Colombo Street, to which a freezing chamber is attached, being erected on freehold land. Mr. Forrester employs ten assistants and twelve horses in connection with his business.
The Supply Stores (Harry New-combe Bates proprietor), 96 Colombo Street, Sydenham. These stores were established in 1888. The proprietor arrived In the Colony per ship “Duke of Athol” in 1878.
Munnings, Joseph, Jam Manufacturer, Wholesale and Retail Family Grocer, Lincoln Road, corner of South Belt, Addington Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Munnings added the manufacture of jams to his ordinary business in 1878, and it has gradually developed till the turnover amounts to about twenty tons annually. The factory is supplied with every requirement, and its products are well known in the North Island and the whole of Canterbury. Mr. Munnings, who was for a number of years a member of the North Canterbury Board of Education, was born at Great Horksley, Essex, in 1841. He was educated at private and pubic schools and brought up as a farmer at Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk, and came to Lyttelton in 1859 per ship “Zealandia.” After being a year at Governor's Bay he settled in Christ-church and became a partner in the firm, of Cudden and Munnings in Oxford Terrace as general storekeepers. In 1866, he took over the business on his own account, and on the termination of his lease in 1880 removed his business to the site now occupied at the corner of Lincoln Road and South Belt. Mr. Munnings has half an acre of freehold land. and the premises have been enlarged from time to time to provide accommodation for the extension of his jam manufacturing business. For some years Mr. Munnings was a member of the west Christchurch School Committee, and for three years he was chairman of that body. He has several times declined to stand as a candidate for the House of Representatives owing to the pressure of business matters. In the early days, Mr. Munnings was connected with the Christ-church Fire Police, in which he held the rank of captain, He has taken an interest in Sunday school work for many years, was superintendent of St. Luke's Anglican church school, of Durham Street Wesleyan school, and of the Anglican school at Fendalton. For some years he was a member of the committee of the British and Foreign Bible Society, and was a trustee, class-leader, and one of the stewards of Durham Street church. Mr. Munnings was married in 1866 to a daughter of Mr. Thomas Brown, of Polstead, Suffolk, farmer, and has seven daughters and three sons. He has frequently acted as a judge at agricultural shows.
Mr. J. Munnings.