The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. William Parish
Mr. William Parish was a very early settler in Canterbury. He arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Cressy” on the 27th of December, 1850. For many years he followed the occupation of farmer and contractor, and had farms at Templeton, Yaldhurst, Springston, and Ferry Road, Christchurch. He had the contract for the construction of the Ferry Road, and was also associated with the making of the Bridle Path. Mr. Parish was a well-known figure in the early days; he took page 369 an active part in municipal affairs, and was a member of the Heathcote and Templeton Road Boards for many years. He was one of the first to sow wheat in Canterbury, and carried the seed across the hills from Ruapaki, where he purchased it from the Maoris. Mr. Parish was a breeder of horses and pigs, and carried off many prizes at agricultural and pastoral shows in the early days. He died on the 8th of July, 1878, at Springston.