The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. Henry George Ell
Mr. Henry George Ell, member of the House of Representatives for the City of Christchurch, was born in Christchurch in 1862, educated at the Riccarton, Halswell, and West Christchurch Schools, and has since had a varied experience. For a short time he was junior attendant at the Christchurch Museum; was employed on survey work on a sheep station; then at wool-scouring works, and afterwards served for three years and a half in the Armed Constabulary at Parthaka. For four years he was engaged in the printing and stereotyping trade, and for five years subsequently was employed in the warehouse of Messrs Nind-Ward and Co.; and up to the time of his election he was in the service of Messrs Andrews and Co., manufacturing stationers. Since he was fifteen years of age he has shown a natural bent for polities, of which he has made a special study, and is a diligent reader. From 1884, he has been active in connection with labour and other political organisations in Christchurch. He was a member of the Knights of Labour and of the Canterbury Liberal Association, and for some time President of the Progressive Liberal Association, of which he was for three years secretary, and resigned the position in 1896 to become a candidate for the representation of Christchurch. On that occasion Mr. Ell was nominated by the Canterbury Women's Institute, supported by the Progressive Liberal Association, and though he had never before addressed a public meeting, was successful, after a hard fight, in gaining 4705 votes, and nfth place on the poll. Mr. Ell was a member of the Addington school committee for several years, also a member of the School Committees' Association, and for three years a member of the Spreydon Road Board. He is a member of the committee of the Canterbury Children's Aid Society, president of the Christchurch Tailoresses' and Pressers' Union, member of the committee of the Prohibition League, and of the Canterbury Prohibition Council, and also a member of the Council of St. Saviour's Guild. On the nomination of the teachers, Mr. Ell stood for the position of member of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College in 1897, when three candidates had to be elected, and he was fourth on the poll. In the following year he was again nominated by the school committees, and obtained second place. He was married, in 1891, to a daughter of Mr Alfred Gee, of Linwood, a very old colonist, and has three daughters and one son. At the general election of 1899 he was returned to Parliament as one of the three members for Christchurch, and received 6149 votes.
Mr. H. G. Ell.