The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
There are ten life insurance companies carrying on business in the colony, and these are well represented in Christchurch by both colonial and foreign companies. All the insurance offices are in central positions, and the Government Life Insurance Department occupies a very good site in Cathedral Square. For life insurance there is keen competition, especially in view of the fact that there is no uniformity of rate; for fire insurance, however, there is uniformity in this respect throughout the colony. The Government office, which has a State guarantee, holds a very large proportion of the total number of the life policies. In regard to foreign offices, the Legislature has provided that they must deposit sufficient security with the Government to guarantee colonial insurers.
Alliance Assurance Company. This office was established in London in 1824 for the transaction of Fire and Life Insurance, and has the reputation of being one of the most ably managed companies in England. Its assets on the 31st of December, 1900, amounted to £5,350,819. Lord Rothschild is president of the company, and the names of the directors are amongst the most influential in London. In 1802 the Alliance acquired the business of the Union Fire and Marine Insurance Company of New Zealand and has now a large business in this Colony and Australia. The head office for New Zealand is in Hereford Street, Christchurch. Local directors:— Hon. J. T. Peacock (chairman), Mr. George G. Stead (deputy-chairman), and Mr. Joseph Palmer; the general manager being Mr. W. Devenish Meares.
The Liverpool And London And Globe Insurance Company. The Canterbury branch of this old-established corporation is situated in the Australian Mutual Provident Buildings, Cathedral Square. Mr. J. A. Bird is the manager.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. A. Bird
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. H. A. Adley.
London And Lancashire Fire Insurance Company, with which is amalgamated the New Zealand business of the Magdeburg Fire Insurance Company. Head Office for Canterbury, 193 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Attorneys, Messrs Gould, Beaumout and Co. Head Office, Liverpool.
North British And Mercantile Insurance Company, Canterbury branch, Hereford Street, Christchurch; Agents, Messrs. W. Wood and Co.; Chief Office for the Colonies, Melbourne: Head office, London.
Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society. Established 1797. (Messrs J. M. Heywood and Co., Canterbury Agents). page 265 This society is one of the strongest and best established of British underwriting institutions, and celebrated its first centenary in the year 1897. The office claims to possess the characteristics of a local institution, as the revenue received in the Colony is Invested in Colonial securities. Agencies and representatives are established throughout the commercial world, and from the promptitude and liberality with which It deals with claims the society has gained an unassailable position in public confidence. The volume of its business is now enormous, as may be judged from its premiums, which are equal to about £900,000 per annum. During its century of existence the amount of insurance effected aggregated the vast total of £335,000,000, and the losses paid were £11,600,000.
Messrs J. M. Heywood and Co., Canterbury agents for the Norwich Fire Insurance Society, are referred to elsewhere as forwarding agents, etc.
The Royal Insurance Company. Head Office, Liverpool, England; Canterbury Agency, 208 Hereford Street, Christchurch; Mr. A. C. Nottingham, chief agent. Chief Office for the Colonies, Melbourne. This old-established company has been represented in Christchurch since 1863, Messrs Miles and Co. being the agents from that time till the closing up of their business in 1895, when the agency was taken over by Mr. A. C. Nottingham.
Standish and Preece photo.
Mr. A. C. Nottingham.
Fire And Marine.
The Australian Alliance Assurance Company (Fire and Marine). Canterbury branch, Hereford Street, Christchurch. Head office, Collins Street, Melbourne, This well-known corporation takes up fire and marine lines in New Zealand but in Australia transacts business in life assurance and fidelity guarantee also. It has been represented for over thirty years in New Zealand. The capital of the company is £250,000, of which £125,000 is paid up; the reserve fund amounts to £110,000, and the accumulated revenue to £281,785. Mr. J. L. Scarvell is Chief Agent for the Canterbury Provincial District.
Farmers Co-Operative Fire And Marine Insurance Association Of Canterbury, Limited. Directors: Mr. F. D. S.Neave, chairman; Mr. James Gough, vice-chairman; and Messrs T. W. Adams, S. Bailey, F. H. Barker, W. Boag, R. Blunden, D. Buddo, H. F. Gray, E. Herring, R. B. Holdsworth, W. B. Howell, D. McMillan, H. Overton, H. W. Peryman, J. Rennie, E. P. Sealy, and J. Talbot. Secretary, Mr R. W. Brown, 119 Cashel Street, Christchurch. This company was established in 1891, and conducts fire and marine insurance business, which is to a great extent confined to farm and station risks. Originally the company intended to do business with shareholders only, but its operations have been extended, and lines are now accepted from non-shareholders. The business is conducted on the mutual principle, and bonuses are declared to shareholders in proportion to the amount of business they transact with the company, which has been a dividend paying concern from its inception. The capital is £100,000 divided into 20,000 shares of £5 each; and 14,894 shares have already been taken up, and £49,474 paid up upor. them. The reserve fund amounts to £7500.
Mr. Robert William Brown, Secretary and Manager of the Farmers' Co-operative Insurance Company, has filled that position from the date of its inception in 1891.
The National Insurance Company Of New Zealand. Head Office, Rattray Street, Dunedin; Canterbury branch (Mr. Alexander Carrick, manager), 195 Hereford Street, Christchurch. The local branch of this well-known New Zealand Company was established in October, 1873, and controls the operations within the whole of the Canterbury and Westland provincial districts.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. A. Carrick.
Mr. William M. Joynt, Accountant in the Canterbury branch of the National Insurance Company, was born in Christchurch in 1863, and educated at private schools. After a few years of mercantile life in the city, Mr. Joynt joined the National Insurance Company as clerk in 1885, and was promoted to his present position of accountant in 1898.
The New Zealand Insurance Company (Canterbury Branch), New Zealand Insurance Buildings, 196 Hereford Street, Christchurch, (Mr. A. L. Parsons, manager); Head office, Queen Street, Auckland. The fine brick building occupied by this well-known company is three stories in height, was erected in 1870, and extends from Hereford Street to Cathedral Square, the ground floor fronting Hereford Street, being occupied by the company's offices. The Cathedral Square portion is used by the Lyttelton Harbour Board.
Mr. Arthur Langdon Parsons, Manager of the New Zealand Insurance Company (Canterbury branch), was promoted to his present position in February, 1897. He is referred to on page 1406 of the Wellington volume of this work.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. S. Hawkes.
North Queensland Fire And Marine Insurance Company, Canterbury branch, Hereford Street, Christchurch; Messrs. W. Wood and Co., agents for the Canterbury Provincial District. Chief office for New Zealand, Wellington; Head office, Sydney.
Phoenix Fire And Marine Assurance Company Of London (Thomas Wallace, District agent), Manchester Street, Christchurch. The business of the local branch of this old and very powerful office is conducted under the personal supervision of Mr. Wallace.
Mr. T. Wallace.
The South British Fire And Marine Insurance Company Of New Zealand which was incorporated in Auckland in 1872, and is more fully referred to in the Auckland volume of this work. has its Canterbury Branch Office at 170 Hereford Street, Christchurch. The building is a handsome, three-storey brick structure with granite pillars, the ground floor being occupied by the company's local offices, from which the whole of the company's business within the provincial district is managed.
Mr. Charles Henky Croxton, Manager of the Canterbury branch of the South British Fire and Marine Insurance Company, hails from Norwich, England, where he was born in 1855. He was educated at the City of London School, and entered the Bank of Messrs. Barnett, Hoare and Co., in which he continued for four years, before coming out to the Colonies. Mr. Croxton arrived in Lyttelton in 1876, to join the Bank of New Zealand at Christchurch, as a junior, but was subsequently transferred to Auckland and afterwards had charge of the branch bank at Mangawhare. Mr. Croxton left the bank to enter the employment of the South British n 1880; he occupied positions at Auckland and Oamaru and afterwards was inspector for the South Island. He took up his present duties in 1887. In 1879 Mr. Croxton was married to a daughter of Mr. Marriner, of Auckland, and has two daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo
Mr. C. H. Croxton.
Standard Fire And Marine Insurance Company Of New Zealand. Canterbury branch, 177 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Head office, High Street, Dunedin. Branch Manager, Mr. Archibald Scott. From the time of its incorporation the company was represented in Canterbury by an agency, which was raised to the status of a separate branch in 1875, with scope over the whole of the Canterbury provincial district and Westland. Agents have been appointed at all the principal centres of population.
Victoria Insurance Company, Limited ; Chief Office for Canterbury, 175 Hereford Street, Christchurch; Principal office in New Zealand, Dunedin; Head office, Melbourne. The Canterbury branch of this company was established in 1890, prior to which the office was represented by an agency. Mr. John F. Grierson is manager, and Mr. Archibald Ridley, chief clerk.
Mr. John F. Grierson, Manager of the Victoria Insurance Company, was born in Cardiff, South Wales, in 1861, and came to New Zealand in September, 1864, in the ship “British Empire,” one of the largest ships that ever came to the colony. He was educated at Christ's College, and joined the Union Bank in 1876. In 1877 he left the bank and entered the National Insurance Company, where he remained twelve years, and was chief clerk for six years. In 1890 he was appointed manager of the Victoria Insurance Company (Fire, Marine and Guarantee) in place of Messrs Dalgerty and Co., who resigned the agency which they had held for several years. Mr. Grierson has taken a great interest in athletics, having been a member of the Canterbury Rowing Club since 1875, and rowed for it successfully against the Otago Rowing Club for two years. As a member of the Canterbury Amateur Athletic Club, he won the Champion Cup in Timaru in 1886, page 267 and again in Christchurch, 1894. He represented Canterbury in distance events for five years at the New Zealand Amateur Athletic Association's Championships, and represented New Zealand in 1896 at the Australasian championships. Mr. Grierson has been connected with the Industrial Building Societies for ten years, and is chairman of No. 5 Society. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and secretary of the Federal Club; he has also held the position of vice-president of the New Zealand Amateur Athletic Association since 1889. In 1891 Mr. Grierson was appointed chairman of the Canterbury Fire Underwriters' Association; he held the office for two years, and has since remained on the committee.
Mr. J. F. Grierson.
Mr. Archibald Ernest Ridley, Chief Clerk of the Victoria Insurance Company, Ltd., Christchurch, was born in Gloucestershire in 1869, and was educated in England and in the Colony. Mr. Ridley arrived in Lyttelton in 1881, and entered the employment of Messrs, Dalgety and Co., Ltd., of Christchurch, who were then agents for the Victoria Insurance Company. When the latter established a separate branch in 1890, Mr. Ridley continued in the service of the company. He has been interested in cricket, has been a member of the Lancaster Park Cricket Club, and represented New Zealand during two or three years in intercolonial matches. Mr. Ridley is also a member of the Linwood and Lancaster Park Tennis Clubs.
Alliance Marine And General Insurance Company, Ltd. This office, which does marine and general insurance business, was established in 1824 in conjunction with the Alliance Assurance Company, Lord Rothschild being president of each company. The directors are also prominent business men. The assets of the company as shown in its last balance sheet were £540,521. A large marine business is underwritten in Australia and New Zealand. The New Zealand directors are Hon. J. T. Peacock (chairman), Mr. G. G. Stead (deputy chairman), and Mr. Joseph Palmer; the general manager is Mr. W. Devenish Meares.
The Marine Insurance Company, Limited, London. Head Office for New Zealand, 193 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Attorneys, Messrs Gould, Beaumont and Co. This company, which has been represented by the present agents in Christchurch since 1882, has a capital of £1,000,000, of which £180,000 is paid up. Its reserve fund amounts to £600,000, premium reserve to £380,000, and the total accumulated funds to £1,144,000. The company is represented in Wellington by Mr. R. M. Simpson, and in Auckland by Mr. J. H. Harrop.
The Australian Mutual Provident Society, Canterbury District; office, corner of Cathedral Square and Worcester Street. Head office, Sydney, New South Wales. Chief office for the Colony, Custom House Quay, Wellington. District Secretary in Christchurch, erected by the Society, are in a handsome three-storey building of Oamaru stone.
Mr. James Hair, District Secretary of the Australian Mutual Provident Society in Christchurch, was born in 1856 in Sydney, where he was educated. He joined the staff of the society in the Sydney office in 1874, and after serving there a number of years was transferred to various positions in other Colonies. He was transferred to Christchurch in 1894. Mr. Hair was married in 1883 to a daughter of Mr. Robert Marks, of Kiama, New South Wales, and has two sons and three daughters.
The Australian Widows' Fund Life Assurance Society, Limited, was founded in the year 1871. It has its head office at the corner of Collins and William Streets, Melbourne, and has branches in nearly all the states of the Commonwealth, as well as in New Zealand. The head office consists of Mr. Thompson Moore (chairman), Hon. Joseph M. Pratt, M.L.C., Senator Simon Fraser, the Rev. Alexander Marshall and Mr. Alexander Dick. At the beginning of 1897 the New Zealand branch was opened, with its principal office at Wellington. It has for directors Messrs J. G. W. Aitken (Mayor of Wellington), Alexander H. Turnbull (W. and G. Turnbull and Co.), and Walter Fell, M.D. District offices have been opened in all the principal centres; the Christchurch office is at the corner of High and Hereford Streets, and the local directors are Messrs A. E. G. Rhodes, W. Reece, and W. Clarkson, with Mr. C. J. Owen as district secretary. The resident secretary in New Zealand is Mr. V. H. Baxter. The growth of the society has been very marked. The accumulated funds now stand at over £1,500,000, and the annual income exceeds £250,000. During the last quinquennium 13,137 policies have been issued, assuring £2,729,165, and producing an annual income of £106,629. The business in force at the end of the sixth quinquennium exceeds £5,000,000, and the claims by death have only averaged during that period 69.3 of the expected losses. The reserves held by the society amount to £296 15s 3d for every £1000 of assurance in force. A now system of life assurance has been introduced, exempting from payment of premiums when the assured is either temporarily or permanently incapacitated, either by accidental bodily injury, by illness, or by mental disorder. The value of such a provision to those whose livelihood depends upon good health can hardly be overrated.
Mr. Charles James Owen, Manager for the Canterbury branch of the Australian Widows' Fund Life Assurance Society, was born in Auckland in 1860, and is the son of Mr. Edward Owen. He was educated partly in his native city and partly in England, and has been connected with life assurance from his early days. Joining the Mutual Life Assurance of Australia in Auckland in 1884 as a clerk, he afterwards held the position of district secretary in Christchurch, Dunedin, Wellington, and Auckland, and continued in the service of that society till 1895. After an experience of eighteen months on the Auckland Stock Exchange, Mr. Owen joined the Australian Widows' Fund as manager of the Canterbury and Westland branch.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. C. J. Owen.
Mr. Frederick Ellis Asquith, Special Agent for the Australian Widows' Fund Life Assurance Society, Limited, was born in Christchurch in 1872. He was educated in his native city and became a compositor, serving twelve years at the “Press” office. Mr. Asquith page 268 has been long connected with the Sydenham Football Club, of which he became vicepresident in 1894. In 1893, he was appointed delegate on behalf of the North Canterbury Football Club to the Canterbury Rugby Union, of which he has been treasurer since 1894. Mr. Asquith has been a member of the Union Rowing Club since 1890. He is a member of the New Zealand Natives' Association, and is secretary of the Christchurch Cycling Club, of the Canterbury section of the New Zealand Cyclists' Touring Club, and of the Christchurch Regatta Club.
Standish and Preece, photo
Mr. F. E. Asquith.
Mr. Charles J. Fowler, formerly Resident Secretary and principal officer in New Zealand for the Australian Widows' Fund Life Assurance Society, entered the service in 1885 in an important position in the Sydney office. He was appointed resident secretary in Adelaide in 1896, and when it was decided to establish a branch in New Zealand early in 1898, Mr. Fowler was entrusted by the directors with the responsible duty of opening the business of the society in this Colony. Mr. Fowler was born at St. Hellers, Jersey, in 1862.
Mr. C. J. Fowler.
The Citizens' Life Assurance Company, Ltd. Head Office, Castlereagh and Moore Streets, Sydney. Chief Office for New Zealand, Custom House Quay, Wellington. Canterbury branch, Morten's Building, Cathedral Square, Christchurch; Mr. R. St. Clair McKenzie, district superintendent. The local branch of this company was established in Christchurch in 1894.
Mr. Robert St. Clair McKenzie, District Superintendent in Canterbury for the Citizens' Life Insurance Company, Limited, has had an extensive experience of insurance business throughout the colony. He joined the Citizens' Life Insurance Company in 1896, and, possessing in a high degree both enterprise and pertinacity, he proved to be eminently fitted for the transaction of insurance business. After filling various offices in succession, he was appointed to the superintendency of country branches in 1899, and was promoted in 1901 to his present post, under which he is Superintendent for North and South Canterbury as well as for Christchurch. Mr McKenzie was born at Thurso, Scotland, in 1872. A son of Mr. Donald McKenzie, now well known as a builder and contractor at Timaru, he came with his parents to New Zealand in 1879, and completed his education at the public schools at Timaru, having, before leaving Scotland, attended a private school at Dumbeath, near Thurso. Prior to entering the insurance business in 1896 he spent some years in touring the Australasian colonies. Mr. McKenzie was married in the early part of September, 1901, to Miss A. E. Bilson, youngest daughter of the late Mr. Charles Bilson, of Dunedin.
Mr. R. St. C. McKenzie.
The Colonial Mutual Life Assurance Society, Ltd, Canterbury and Westland Branch, Colonial Mutual Buildings, 208 and 210 High Street, Christchurch. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Manager, Mr. C. H. Black. Head Office, Melbourne. Chief office for New Zealand, Custom House Quay, Wellington. The society's Christchurch office is on the first floor of its fine building, the other portions of the premises being well let as shops and offices.
Mr. James Taaffe, Cashier of the Canterbury branch of the Colonial Mutual Life Association, was born in Christchurch in 1855. He received his education at the Marist Bros,' school, and served six years as clerk with Mr. W. J. Byrne, and was subsequently a year with Mr. E. E. Papprill, solicitor, of Kaiapol. Mr. Taaffe was appointed to his present position in 1898. He has been a member of the Linwood Football Club since 1892, and was secretary and treasurer in 1896.
The Equitable Life Assurance Society Of The United States Of America ; Head Office for New Zealand, Lambton Quay, Wellington; District Office for Canterbury, 176 Hereford Street, Christchurch. This society was founded in New York, United States of America, on the 26th of July, 1859. Its distinguishing object is to conduct business solely on a mutual plan in the interests of policy-holders, to whom all the profits belong, and amongst whom they are distributed. From a modest beginning it has grown into a stupendous business, which now extends throughout the civilised world. At the end of 1860 there were only 268 policies in force, covering an assurance of £238,333, but in 1901 the assurances amounted to the enormous sum of £245,682,651. For the same year the assets were valued at £68,966,608; the surpluses totalled £14,797,717, and the number of policies was 409,296. In forty years the society has paid to policy-holders, or their represen tatives, over £63,000,000. As the business has always been conducted on the highest principles, success similar to that achieved elsewhere is certain to ensue in New Zealand and the Australian colonies.
Mr. James J. Nicol, District Manager for Canterbury of the Equitable Life Assurance Society, is a son of an early Australian colonist, Mr. Gilbert Nicol, who arrived in Victoria in 1839. He was born at Warrnambool, Victoria, in August, 1854, and brought up and educated at his native place. Mr. Nicol was trained to agriculture on his father's farm, where he remained until 1887, when he became a representative of the Equitable Life. Since then Mr. Nicol has been eminently successful in his business, and has written policies aggregating nearly half a million sterling. His operations have been chiefly confined to Victoria and the North Island of page 269 New Zealand, but he spent a year also in South Africa. Mr. Nicol is a member of the Amateur Sports Club of Victoria, has taken an active part in athletics, and has been a keen and promment sportsman in the field.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. J. Nicol.
The Government Life Insurance Office, Canterbury and Westland Branch, Cathedral Square, Christchurch; Manager, Mr. J. C. Prudhoe. The fine building occupied by the Government Life Office was erected for the department by Mr. Charles Clark, and is of three stories, in brick with facade of Oamaru and Mount Semers stone. The whole of the ground floor is occupied by the department.
Mr. Joseph Cumberland Prudhoe. District Manager of the Canterbury and Westland Branch of the Government Life Insurance Department, was born in 1858 in Sunderland, England, and arrived with his parents in Christchurch in 1859. He was educated privately and at the Wesleyan day school in Christchurch, and joined the education department of the Provincial Government of Canterbury. In 1876 he entered the Insurance department in Christchurch as a clerk, and was appointed to his present position in 1882. Mr. Prudhoe has long been a prominent member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, and for some years was superintendent of the Durham Street Wesleyan Sunday school. He has also acted as circuit steward, holds office as trustee, and has several times been elected a representative at the annual conferences. Mr. Prudhoe is a member of the committee of the New Zealand Bible Society. He was married, in 1893, to a daughter of Mr. Henry Manchester, of Watmate, and has one son.
Mr. James William Harington Wood, Chief Clerk in the Government Insurance Office, Cathedral Square, Christchurch, was born in India, in 1854. He was educated in England, came to Auckland by the barque “Anazi,” in 1874, and was for eight years engaged in farming in the Waikato district. Mr. Wood joined the Government Insurance Department in Wellington as a clerk, in 1882, was appointed resident agent at Napier in August, 1884, and was transferred, in 1887, to Nelson, where he remained until 1892, when he was transferred to his present position. Mr. Wood takes an interest in cricket, football and golf, and belongs to the United Cricket Club, and the Christchurch Golf Club, of the committee of which he is a member. He was married, in 1888, to a daughter of the late Mr. A. Kennedy, of Napier.
The Mutual Life Association Of Australasia, Mutual Life Buildings, Hereford Street, Christchurch. Chief office for New Zealand, Featherston Street, Wellington. Head office, Sydney. The house and building occupied by the Mutual Life in Christchurch was, for the ten years ending 1884, the head office for the South Island of New Zealand. It is a two-storey brick structure; the whole of the ground floor is used for the association's offices, and the upper storey is let to tenants.
Mr. John Robert Morrison is the District Secretary for Canterbury, of the Mutual Life Association of Australasia. He entered the service of the Association as a boy from school in January, 1884, and, after passing through various departments at the principal office, in Sydney, was appointed accountant at Melbourne in September, 1892; to the same position at Wellington, in December, 1895; and succeeded to his present position in March, 1901. Though really an Australian, Mr Morrison takes a keen interest in the progress of New Zealand. He devotes much of his space time to the support of general athletics, but rowing and gymnastics have special attractions for him.
Mr. J. R. Morrison.
Mr. Charles Hull Cotton, formerly District Secretary in Canterbury of the Mutual Life Association of Australasia, was born in Melbourne, in 1870, and educated in Christchurch, where he had arrived when seven years of age. Mr. Cotton joined the Mutual Life Office in 1884 as a junior, and became cashier of the South Island branch in 1893. At a later period of the same year he was promoted to the position of accountant, and transferred to Wellington in 1894 as accountant for New Zealand. In 1895, Mr. Cotton returned to Christchurch as district secretary. He was one of the founders of the New Zealand League of Wheelmen, of which he was first honorary secretary, and was also a member of the Christchurch Bowling Club. Mr. Cotton is now secretary of the South Australian Branch of the Mutual Life Association.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. C. H. Cotton.
The National Mutual Life Association Of Australasia, with which is incorporated the Mutual Assurance Society of Victoria; Head Office for New Zealand, Custom House Quay, Wellington, Canterbury Branch, Cathedral Square, Christchurch; Mr. H. C. Satchell, district secretary. The Canterbury branch of this well-known office operates over the whole of the Canterbury provincial district, and Nelson, Westland, and Marlborough. During one year recently over £100,000 of new business was underwritten by the Canterbury agency.
Mr. Harry Carrol Satchell. District Secretary in charge of the National Mutual Life Association's Canterbury Branch, was born in Kent, England, in page 270 1861, and educated at Epsom College and at Nenweid, Germany. Brought up to a mercantile life in London, Mr. Satchell came out to Nelson in 1884, via Melbourne. In the following year, he joined the National Life Office as agent at Nelson, and was transferred in 1888 to the charge of the Canterbury district.
The New Zealand Accident Insurance Company (unlimited liability). Canterbury Branch Offices, 205 Hereford Street, Christchurch; Head Office, Queen Street, Auckland; Mr. F. W. Deamer, District Manager. The company is represented in the various centres of the district, by responsible representatives, and is well known as the leading accident insurance company of the Colony.
Mr. Francis William Deamer, District Manager of the New Zealand Accident Insurance Company, Canterbury Branch, is the third son of the late Dr. W. Deamer, one of the early medical men of Christchurch, who died in 1889 after practising for over a quarter of a century. The subject of this notice was born in Christchurch in 1865, and educated at Christ's College. He entered the Bank of New Zealand as a junior, and subsequently became accountant in the service altogether for five years. On leaving the bank, he had some experience in life insurance business and was shortly afterwards appointed manager for Canterbury for the Standard Accident Insurance Company and representative of the New Zealand Plate Glass Insurance Company. After three years he was appointed to the position he now holds, and took charge in 1803.
Standish and Preece photo.
Mr. F. W. Deamer.
Ocean Accident And Guarantee Corporation, Limited, 45 Cathedral Square, Christchurch. This company, which was founded in 1871, has its headquarters in London. Its head office in Australasia is in Pitt Street, Sydney, and, for New Zealand, in Featherston Street, Wellington. Its authorised capital is £1,000,000; subscribed capital, £447,465; and its paid-up capital, £137,493. At the 31st of December, 1900, its reserves amounted to £921,417, and, at the same date, its total funds, exclusive of uncalled capital, stood at £1,154,900. Its income for the year 1900 was £878,492.
Mr. Edward Richardson, J.P., Manager in Christchurch of the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, Limited, is the eldest son of the Hon. E. Richardson, C.M.G., M.L.C. He was born in Melbourne, in 1857, and was educated at the Christchurch Boys' High School and at Christ's College. After Leaving School he was for some years on his father's station at Albury, and from 1880 till 1896, when the Government took it over, he managed the property for his father and the Assets Company. He then settled on Grange Farm, of 212 acres, close to Temuka, and, in addition to general farming, devoted a good deal of attention to the breeding of stud sheep. While Mr. Richardson was at Albury he was chairman of the Mackenzie County Council. After settling at Temuka he continued his interest in public affairs, and was president of the Temuka Horticultural Society, the South Canterbury Acclimatisation Society, and of the Temuka Athletic Club; vice-president of the Temuka Caledonian Society, and a member of the Geraldine County Council, the Timaru High School Board, and the Pareora Licensing Committee. He was also captain of the Temuka Rifles. In June, 1902, Mr. Richardson entered on the management of the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, Limited, in Christchurch. He has been twice married; firstly, to Miss Lockhart, of Christchurch, who died in 1882, and, secondly, in 1891, to a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Le Cren, of Timaru.
Mr. E. Richardson.
The Canterbury Fire Underwriters' Association. Committee for 1902: Messrs H. Antill Adley, chairman; A. Carrick, vice-chairman; A. L. Parsons, J. F. Grierson, T. D. Condell, A. Scott, and G. E. Way; Thornhill Cooper, auditor; and James Orme Barnard, secretary. The various offices represented are: The Alliance, Australian Alliance, Commercial Union, Guardian, Northern, Phœnix, and Royal Exchange Assurance Companies; the Imperial, Law Union and Crown, Liverpool and London and Globe, London and Lancashire, Manchester, National, New Zealand, North German, North Queensland, North British and Mercantile, Norwich Union, Royal, South British, Standard, Sun, United, Victoria, and Yorkshire Insurance Companies, and the Farmers' Cooperative Insurance Association. The original Fire Underwriters' Association of Canterbury existed for a period of twenty-eight years, prior to the establishment of the present association in September, 1895. The association controls the whole of Canterbury and Westland, but is subject to the directions or the general council of the Fire Underwriters' Association of New Zealand.