Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]

Chemists And Druggists

Chemists And Druggists.

Barnett and Co., Pharmaceutical Chemists, Morten's Buildings, 199 Colombo Street, Christchurch. Telephone 654. This business dates back to the sixties when it was commenced by Mr. G. Fussell. Since that time it has been carried on by various chemists. In 1898, it was moved by Mr. William Barnett, its present proprietor, to the premises it now occupies.

page 255

Barrett, William, Chemist and Druggist, Corner of Oxford Terrace and Montreal Street, Christchurch. Telephone 337. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Barrett's business was originally established by Mr. E. J. Elliot in 1870, and was acquired in 1898 by Mr. Barrett, who has since completely renovated the entire premises. The shop has been brought up to date in every respect, and some very handsome glass cases fitted up with a new stock of bottles, drugs, and druggists' sundries. The premises comprise a two-storey wooden building, and the shop is built with double windows. Mr. Barrett is an importer of the best drugs and always maintains a well-assorted stock, together with various lines of proprietary preparations. A night bell is attached to the shop entrance. Mr. Barrett was born at Ross, in Westland, in 1872, and educated at Hokitika and Westport. He commenced his apprenticeship with the late Mr. Alfred Richardson, of Westport, completed his term in Wellington with Mr. W. Woods, and passed his examination before the Pharmacy Board of New Zealand in October, 1894. He was appointed in the following year dispenser at the Christchurch Hospital, and held the position till June, 1898.

Standish and Preece, photo.Mr. W. Barrett.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. Barrett.

Baxter, John, Pharmaceutical Chemist, 19 Victoria Street, Christchurch. Telephone 585. This pharmacy dates back to the early sixties, when it was founded by the late Mr. John Baxter, one of the early pioneers of Canterbury, who gained celebrity as the patentee of the cough mixture, known as “Baxter's Lung Preserver.” At the death of Mr. Baxter in 1895 the business was continued by his two sons.

Bonnington, George, Wholesale and Retail Manufacturer, Chemist and Druggist, 199 High Street, Christchurch. Telephone 580. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Factory, Ferry Road. This business has been conducted for upwards of twenty-five years. The premises are large, and contain a floor space of between 4000 and 5000 square feet, the shop being splendidly furnished with mirrors, show-cases, handsome counters, and extensive fittings. The proprietor is a direct importer of drugs and druggists' sundries, and holds a very large and choice selected stock of toilet requisites and medical appliances of the latest description. The factory on the Ferry Road, which has over 3000 square feet of floor space, is completely equipped with all the necessary plant for the manufacture of the proprietor's patent Pectoral Oxymel of Carrageen or Irish Moss, in which he does a very large business throughout New Zealand, and also in Australia and other parts of the world. The late Mr. George Bonnington, whose name is still borne by the business, is referred to in another article.

Cook And Ross, Pharmaceutical Chemists, Market Square, corner of Armagh and Colombo Streets, Christchurch. Telephone 670. P.O. Box 210. Night bell, Armagh Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This firm's business, which is the oldest of its kind in Christchurch, was established as long ago as 1859 by Drs. Turnbull and Hillson, and shortly afterwards the late J. V. Ross in conjunction with Mr. Cook purchased the concern. This partnership existed for six years when Mr. Ross became sole proprietor and carried on the business up to the time of his death in 1893. The business is still carried on for the benefit of his family, under the management of Mr. J. Stuart Ross, a son of the late proprietor, who has been identified with the business for many years. The retail premises comprise a very fine shop having a large frontage to Colombo Street, a first class dispensary, office, and other rooms on the ground floor; besides extensive store-rooms on the upper floor. Situated close by, in Armagh Street, is the brick wholesale store of the firm. Messrs. Cook and Ross, who have a well assorted and thoroughly up to date stock, possess a very large connection throughout Canterbury and transact an extensive business, both wholesale and retail.

Cook, Robert Skilling, J.P., Pharmaceutical Chemist, 177 Victoria Street, Christchurch. Telephone 448. This business has occupied its present site since about 1879, when it was established by Mr. Elliott, who conducted it till he sold out to Mr. Cook in 1899. The shop occupies the front compartment of a one-storey wooden building. It is well fitted up and neatly arranged, and has every appearance of an up-to-date pharmacy. The long and numerous shelves and glass cases contain a heavy stock of chemists' sundries, together with a large number of proprietary medicines, and two open windows are reserved for the exhibition of samples. A considerable dispensing and prescribing trade has been associated with the business since its establishment, and this has steadily increased under the management of Mr. Cook. The proprietor was one of the original members of the Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand, of which the present Pharmacy Board is an offshoot. He was for one term president of the Canterbury Pharmaceutical Society, and he is now it a vice-president. Mr. Cook was born in 1849, and educated at the English Church School, at Comber, County Down, Ireland. He landed at Lyttelton in 1862, and gained further instruction at the Scotch School, Lincoln Road, Christchurch. In 1864 he was apprenticed to Messrs Cook and Ross, with whom he remained twelve years, and resigned in 1876 to commence business on his own account. He carried on business successfully in various parts of the province, until taking up his present position
Messrs Cook and Ross's Premises.

Messrs Cook and Ross's Premises.

page 256 in 1899. Mr. Cook has always taken an active interest in the social life of the district wherein he resided; he has been a member of various school committees, was secretary of the Sports Club at Leeston, and for nine years he acted as churchwarden.

Cooke, Joseph Arthur, Chemist and Druggist, 178 and 180 Cashel Street, Christchurch. Telephone 920. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Private residence, Haast Street Linwood. This well-known establishment was founded in 1863 by the late Mr. Robinson, and was conducted after that gentleman's death by his widow till 1886. In the latter year, the late Mr. J. S. Cooke, father of the present proprietor, purchased the business, and conducted the same until the time of his death on the 14th of November, 1894, since which time Mr. J. A. Cooke has carried it on. The premises consist of a large double fronted shop, the retail department being handsomely fitted up with glass show cases and shelves containing a very large and well assorted stock of drugs and druggists' sundries. Mr. Cooke makes a specialty of the Eureka Skin Lotion, and the tonic Pickme-up, which are leading lines prepared on the premises, besides numerous other proprietary articles. He is an importer of the usual goods kept by chemists and druggists, and has a large connection, particularly among the farming community. Prescriptions are carefully and accurately made up. Mr. Cooke was born in 1864 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England, where he was educated. He accompanied his parents to Lyttelton in 1878, in the ship “Mannock,” and after serving six years to his father's busi ness, passed the prescribed examination under the Pharmacy Board of New Zealand, and received a certificate as a qualified chemist in January, 1895. Mr. Cooke was married in February, 1891, to a daughter of Mr. Dench, of East Oxford.

Hobden, Henry Inigo, Pharmaceutical Chemist, 189 Cashel Street, Christchurch. Telephone 55. This business was established in 1862 by Mr. J. C. Brook, by whom it was conducted till 1866. In that year it was sold, and assumed the proprietorship title of Messrs Gould and Co. Thus it continued till 1898, when it was acquired by its present proprietor. The premises are well situated on one of the best business sites in the city, and occupy two floors of a threestorey stone building, facing Cashel Street. The dispensary is a brilliantly lighted and richly furnished apartment, and is supplied with the latest chemical appliances, including the cachet-filling-and-closing machinery for the compression of medicines into tablet form, and the tube-filling-and-closing machinery. These appliances were specially imported from England and America for this pharmacy. In addition to the numerous drugs and druggists' sundries which necessarily form a portion of the stock of a modern pharmacy, Mr. Hobden has a large quantity of proprietary preparations of his own manufacture, prominent amongst which are: Compound Syrup of Hypophosphites, Kay's Liver Tonic, Cloudy Ammonia, and Monk's Lung Balsam. Emmudsion of Cod Liver Oil is also manufactured on a large [gap — reason: illegible]ale, and for its production a powerful emulsifying machine, the fans of which revolve at the rate of 1200 to the minute, is used in the manufacturing department. Apart from the chemical tests, which are applied to the various ingredients used in the manufacture of these preparations, a powerful microscope is constantly in use to ensure perfect results. Mr. Henry Inigo Hobden, sole proprietor, is a son of the late J. L. Hobden, barrister and solicitor, of Christchurch. He was born in 1862, and educated at the Scotch School, Lincoln Road, and, on completing his college course, was apprenticed to the late Mr. George Bonnington, of High Street, Christchurch. He gained his diploma as a qualified chemist in 1882, and at the expiration of his apprenticeship was appointed dispenser at the Christchurch Hospital. Mr. Hobden retained this appointment till 1890, and, for eight years subsequently, he was engaged in business on his own account in Lyttelton. He bought his present business in 1893. Mr. Hobden was president of the Canterbury Pharmaceutical Association in 1899–1900.

Standish and Preece, photo.Mr. H. I. Hobden.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. H. I. Hobden.

Kiver, Charles Robert, Pharmaceutical Chemist, 178 Barbadoes Street. Christchurch. Telephone 264. This dispensary occupies two apartments of a substantial single storey building situated on a well chosen business site at the corner of Barbadoes and Kilmore Streets. It was established in the early eighties, and was conducted by Mr. R. Painter until 1901, when it was acquired by Mr. Charles R. Kiver, who has since completely renovated the premises. The open windows, which now face each street, are furnished with samples of the abundant stock kept within, whilst the shop itself, spacious and airy, and fitted up with numerous shelves, drawers, glass cases, and other conveniences for the trade, carries a large and varied assortment of bright and fresh drugs, and numerous proprietary medicines. Mr. River, the sole proprietor, is a son of the late Mr. Charles Kiver, who is referred to in another part of this volume as an ex-councillor of Christchurch. He was born in Christchurch in 1873, and educated at the public schools, and at the Boys' High School. On leaving school, Mr. Kiver was apprenticed to the late Mr. George Bonnington, with whom he remained for a period of twelve years, during which he gained his certificate as a qualified chemist.

Standish and Preece, photo.Mr. C. R. Kiver.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. C. R. Kiver.

Markwald, Henry, Importer and Indenter of Drugs, Chemicals, etc. Head Office for New Zealand, Browron's Buildings, corner of Manchester and Hereford Streets, Christchurch. The chief office of this firm was established in Melbourne, in 1891, by Mr. Henry Markwald, its present proprietor, who had formerly been a partner in a large importing firm in Melbourne. The business of Mr. Markwald's firm rapidly increased, and at the present time (1902) it extends right over the Australasian colonies. Shortly after its inception Mr. Henderson, who had previously occupied the post of shipping clerk, was promoted to the position of intercolonial traveller. In 1894 he opened up business for the firm in New Zealand, and shortly after returned to Australia, where, under his supervision, the Sydney and Brisbane branches were established, and business opened up also in Tasmania. In the meantime business continued to increase in New Zealand, and in 1894 the Dunedin branch was established. This was followed by the opening of the Wellington and Auckland branches, in 1895 and 1896 respectively. The Christchurch branch, which is now made the head office for commercial operations in New Zealand, was established in 1901. It occupies two well-appointed and richly furnished apartments on the first floor of Bowron's Buildings page 257 at the corner of Manchester and Hereford Streets. Considerable storage accommodation, situated at the rear of the premises, is also in possession of the firm. Samples of stock kept on hand are exhibited in the sample room, and consist chiefly of chemicals for all classes of manufacturers, confectioners' supplies, essences, etc. Since the establishment of the branch a steadily increasing business has been maintained in Canterbury.

Mr. Sydney Harbottle Guenett, Manager of the Christchurch branch of this firm, is a native of Exeter, Devonshire, England, where he was born in 1877. As a child he came out with his parents to Melbourne where he was brought up and educated. In 1894 Mr. Guenett entered the head office of his firm in Melbourne, and five years later was transferred to the Dunedin branch. In December, 1899, he came to Christchurch, and opened up the present branch, of which Mr. J. Henderson became manager. Upon that gentleman's removal to Auckland, Mr. Guenett was appointed to his present position. Prior to his arrival in New Zealand Mr Guenett was an active member of the Melbourne Cricket Club and the Melbourne Bowling Club. While in Dunedin he became a member of the Commercial Travellers' Club, and he is a member of the Pioneer Bicycle Club in Christchurch, Mr. Guenett married a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Hurley, formerly Collector of Customs at Melbourne, and has one daughter.

Standish and Preece, photo.Mr. S. H. Guenett.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. S. H. Guenett.

Mr. John Alfred Henderson, General Manager for New Zealand of Mr. Markwald's firm, was born in Victoria, Australia, in 1869. He was educated at Dick's College, Melbourne, and afterwards worked in a large commercial firm of that city. In 1891 he was engaged by Mr. Markwald as shipping clerk for the importing firm established by that gentleman, of which he was a member. From that post Mr. Henderson was promoted to that of intercolonial traveller, and after establishing branches in various centres throughout Australia, and opening up business in Tasmania and New Zealand, he was appointed general manager for this colony. Mr. Henderson is an athlete of repute, rowing, football, cricket, and lacrosse being his favourite sports.

New Zealand Drug Company, Limited (Messrs Kempthorne, Prosser and Co.), High Street, Christchurch. Head office, Dunedin. Telephones, 874 and 575. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. The business of this popular and flourishing firm dates back to the seventies, when it was established in a wooden building on the half-acre allotment, which is now occupied by commanding premises. In 1892 the original premises were destroyed by fire, and, early in the succeeding year, the present handsome three-storey brick building was erected on the same site. Each floor is fitted up with counters, glass cases, and other conveniences for exhibiting and assorting the stock, which consists of many varied lines, each occupying separate and distinct portions of the spacious apartments. The ground floor is stocked with drugs—dry and wet—and chemicals, and the next carries druggists' sundries, patent medicines, photographic requisites, surgical instruments, and dental and toilet requisites, together with a large stock of corks for the supply of breweries and cordial factories. The uppermost flat is reserved for the storage of original packages and bulk stock. These apartments together with a well-appointed suite of offices on either side of the front entrance, complete the main establishment. But to the right of the building there is a spacious yard, where there still stands a portion of the original premises, together with a large packing department and bulk store room, of more recent origin. In one division of the older building large quantities of “Star Brand” ammonia— which is manufactured at, and sent up in bulk form, front the headquarters of the firm at Dunedin—are bottled and labelled ready for sale, whilst in another department a large stock of empty bottles for the supply of bottling houses and breweries is always kept. During its existence in Christchurch the business of the firm has pursued a steady and progressive career, corresponding to the development which has characterised the sister branches throughout the colony.

Messrs Kempthorne, Prosser and Co.'s Premises.

Messrs Kempthorne, Prosser and Co.'s Premises.

Mr. Andrew Borrows, Manager of the Christchurch Branch of the firm, was promoted to his present position in March, 1901, after being associated with the firm at its head office for over twenty years. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1865, and, at the age of eight, sailed for New Zealand, and landed at Dunedin. There he received his early education at the public schools, and finally studied at the Dunedin High School. On leaving school, he entered the service of Messrs Kempthorne, Prosser and Co., as a factory hand. After being so employed for two years, he was promoted to a position in the warehouse. Later on he successively held the post of city traveller in Dunedin and country representative in the province of Otago, and in 1901 he succeeded Mr. Low in one of the highest posts in the firm's service. The tennis players of Dunedin lost a valuable member of their association on the departure of Mr. Borrows, who has frequently represented Otago in interprovincial matches.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.Mr. A. Borrows.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. A. Borrows.

Papprill, Henry Arthur, Pharmaceutical Chemist, 65 Colombo Street, Sydenham. Telephone, 905. This well-known pharmacy was established in 1877 [gap — reason: illegible] Messrs Wallace page 258 and Co., and was afterwards conducted by various owners, until the advent of Mr. Papprill, its present proprietor, in 1895. There rooms on the ground floor of a wooden building facing Colombo Street are used for the business. The front room, with a large open window facing the main road, serves as the shop or dispensary, and is fitted with numerous shelves and glass cases which carry a large stock of druggists' sundries and proprietary medicines, many samples of which are exhibited to advantage in the open window. Immediately to the back of the shop is the manufacturing department, where Cod Liver Oil Emulsion is manufactured on a large scale. Many other remedies are made in smaller proportions. Further back again is the general store room, which completes the premises. Mr. Papprill, the proprietor of the pharmacy, was born in Christchurch in 1869, and educated at the Boys' High School. On leaving school he served an apprenticeship of five years with the late Mr George Bonnington, of High Street, after which he was appointed dispenser at the Christchurch Hospital. In 1892, while occupying that position, he gained his certificate as a qualified chemist, and in August, 1895, he left the Hospital to take up his present business. Mr. Papprill was president of the Canterbury Pharmaceutical Association in 1901.

Standish and Preece, photo.Mr. H. A. Papprill.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. H. A. Papprill.

Wallace and Co. (Charles Augustus Fletcher), Chemists and Druggists, Triangle, Christchurch. Telephone 881. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Ricearton. This firm's business was established by the late Mr. T. Wallace, and has been conducted by the present proprietor since 1892. The firm imports all kinds of drugs and medical sundries, and does a considerable family and dispensing trade.

Rentoul, John, Pharmaceutical Chemist, Christchurch. Mr. Rentoul was born in Scotland, in 1873, and was brought to New Zealand while he was a child. He landed at Lyttelton, and was educated at the public schools, and also received private tuition. On leaving school he was apprenticed to the Friendly Societies' Dispensary, at Timaru, and remained with that firm six years, when he went to Dunedin, where he entered the employment of Mr. A. M. Loasby, the wellknown patentee of “Wahoo” and other proprietary medicines. After gaining his diploma as a qualified chemist in 1894, at Dunedin, Mr. Rentoul left New Zealand for Australia, where, at Fremantle, he managed the business of Messrs E. Parry and Co. for some years. He returned to New Zealand shortly before commencing business in 1901, at 214 High Street, Christchurch. Mr. Rentoul retired in 1902.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.Mr. J. Rentoul.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. Rentoul.

Sopp, John Cox, J.P., Pharmaceutical Chemist, Lincoln Road, Addington. This well-known pharmacy was established in 1882, and occupies well-built premises on a freehold allotment, facing the main road. Three rooms of this building are specially arranged for business purposes. The large apartment facing the street, and furnished with a wide open window, filled with samples, is neatly fitted up as the dispensary, and immediately to the back are the office and general store room. Mr. Sopp's business has from the first enjoyed an ever increasing reputation for the care with which prescriptions are made up and the genuineness of its remedies. Mr. Sopp, who was a Justice of the Peace for New Zealand, was born at Kensington, England, in 1842, educated at the Kensington National School, and gained his early experience in chemistry under Dr Merriman, surgeon to the Duchess of Kent. At an early age he was appointed dispenser to the Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum, and was subsequently for seven years dispenser at St. George's Hospital, London. He left England in 1872, and came to Lyttelton, by the ship “Merope.” For six years after his arrival he was engaged by the Canterbury Education Board as a public school teacher. He resigned his position as a teacher and was appointed to take charge of the Lyttelton Orphanage, where he remained till he began business on his own account in 1882. Mr. Sopp was the first president of the Midland Pharmaceutical Society in England. He died on the 30th of July, 1902.