The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The Reverend Canon Francis Knowles
The Reverend Canon Francis Knowles, Diocesan Secretary, Registrar, and Treasurer, and Secretary of the Church Property Trustees, was born in Limehouse. London, in 1830, and was educated at Stebon Heath House School, Stepney, London. He was brought up for the scholastic profession, and took the associate diploma of the College of Preceptors in 1848. He was ordained deacon in 1857 and priest two years later in Canterbury at the first ordination held by the late Bishop Harper. Canon Knowles came to Lyttelton by the ship “Travancore” in 1851, and became curate of Banks Peninsula in 1857, returned to Lyttelton in 1859, and was first curate, and in 1860 vicar at the Port, which latter office he filled till July, 1872. From that date until 1876 he was vicar of Merivale, and for two years, subsequently, of Balclutha, Otago. He was in Gladstone, Southland, in 1878–9, and was appointed in that year to the positions he now holds in Christchurch. He became an honorary canon of Christchurch Cathedral in 1894, and he holds the honorary offices of secretary and treasurer to the Cathedral. Canon Knowles was married in 1855, and again in 1891, and has two sons, one the vicar of Prebbleton and Templeton, and the other chief accountant in the Land and Survey Department at Wellington.