The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The Church Property Trustees
The Church Property Trustees are incorporated under an Ordinance of the Provincial Council passed in 1859, and consist of the Right Reverend the Bishop of Christchurch and Messrs H. D. Andrews, H. W. Bishop, S. S. Blackburne, G. G. Bridges, P. J. Fryer, R. Hill Fisher, and H. H. Pitman; the Rev. Canon Knowles, secretary and treasurer; Mr. H. J. Beswick, solicitor; Mr E. D. Foot, accountant. This body controls the whole of the property of the Anglican Church in the Christchurch diocese, including the general trust, bishopric, and dean and chapter endowments, Church reserves, and all church, school and vicarage buildings and properties. The endowments of the Church were very well selected, and are of considerable value, the annual revenue being about £7600 per annum, and from other reserves about £1000 per annum. The total stipends paid to the clergy, outside the Cathedral, amounted to £13,950 for the year 1900.