Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]

North Canterbury Infantry Battalion

North Canterbury Infantry Battalion.

Lieutenant Colonel William Alexander Day, Commanding the North Canterbury Infantry Battalion, was born in Lyttelton in 1861, and was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and at King's College School, London. After his return to the colony he entered the grain and produce trade, and was for nine years with the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, two in Wellington, and seven in Christchurch. He was then for four years and a half with the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association as manager of its grain and produce department, and is now, as stated in another article, in business on his own account in Cashel Street, Christchurch. He was for fourteen years a member of the Christ's College Rifles, and was elected captain of the corps in 1893; in June, 1897, he was promoted to the staff, and gazetted major. On the 1st of August, 1901, he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel, in succession to the late Lieutenant-Colonel Francis. Mr. Day is a well-known vocalist of the Liedertafel, of which he is a member. He has a high [gap — reason: illegible] voice, and has frequently sung the [gap — reason: illegible] at concerts and other entertainments. Mr Day has been a member of several [gap — reason: illegible] in Christchurch, and during his residence in Wellington, he was a member of St. Paul's Pre-Cathedral choir. As a Freemason he is at present (1902) Worshipful Master of Lodge St. Albans, 2597, E.C.

Standish and Preece, photo.Lieut.-Col. W. A. Day.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Lieut.-Col. W. A. Day.

Major Frank Cresswell, of the North Canterbury Infantry Battalion, was born in Hobart, and educated in Tasmania. He was brought up as a manufacturing hatter, and settled in Christchurch in 1882, taking charge of the hat department of Messrs. Ballantyne and Co.'s business. He is a member of the Sons of Temperance Benefit Society, and has been treasurer of the Grand Lodge for nine years. Major Cresswell was married in 1878 to a daughter of Mr. J. Dunkerley, Stockport, England, and has three daughters.

page 138

Captain George Henry Merton, Adjutant of the North Canterbury Battalion of Infantry Volunteers, received his appointment on the 4th of September, 1901. He is elsewhere referred to in connection with Christ's College.

Lieutenant Harry Stacpoole Batchelor, Pay-and-Quartermaster of the North Canterbury Infantry Battalion, joined the Christchurch Rifles in 1887. In consequence of his removal from Christchurch he retired after serving for three years, but rejoined on his return in 1893. Since then his service has been continuous, and he remained in the ranks until 1900, when he was appointed battalion quartermaster-sergeant. He was promoted to his lieutenancy in 1901, and in November of the same year he was appointed to the position of pay-and-quartermaster.

Surgeon-Captain Edward Jennings was appointed Medical Officer of the North Canterbury Battalion of Infantry Volunteers on the 8th of October, 1895.

The Right Rev. Churchill Julius, Bishop of Christchurch, was appointed Honorary Chaplain to the North Canterbury Battalion of Infantry Volunteers on the 11th of January, 1896. Bishop Julius is further referred to in connection with the diocese of Christchurch.

Captain Frederick William Sandford, of the Christchurch City Guards, who has taken an active part in volunteering since 1869, is elsewhere referred to as an officer of the Board of Education and as an organ builder.

Lieutenant Frederic Charles Brenchley Bishop, one of the officers of the Christchurch City Guards, is the son of the late Mr. F. A. Bishop, an old and respected Canterbury colonist. The subject of this notice was born in Christchurch in 1863, and brought up to the wine and spirit trade by his father, from whom he took over the business in 1887. Mr. Maitland Gard'ner joined Mr. Bishop in the firm of Bishop and Gard'ner in 1894, but retired from it in 1899, and the firm is now known as Bishop and Co. Mr. Bishop has been connected with the Volunteer movement since 1883, when he joined the Christchurch Rifles as a private, rose to the rank of colour-sergeant at the time of the amalgamation which took place with the present corps, and became lieutenant in 1896. He is a member of the Christchurch Musical Union, in which he acts as honorary librarian, and is a member of the committee.

Captain George Harper, of Christ's College Rifle Volunteers, received his commission on the 25th of January, 1900. Mr. Harper is referred to elsewhere as a barrister and solicitor.

Lieutenant Henry Edmond Marsh, of the Christ's College Rifles, joined in 1897 as private, and after passing through successive grades, was elected lieutenant in 1901. Mr Marsh, who occupies the position of cashier in the Bank of New Zealand, Christchurch, was born in England. He came to the colony in 1888, and joined the service of the Bank of New Zealand in 1895.

The Very Rev. Dean Harper was appointed Honorary Chaplain to the Christ's College Rifles on the 9th of March, 1885. He is referred to elsewhere as Dean of Christchurch.

Captain Charles George Gerald Foster, of the Christchurch City Rifles, joined the cadets in 1879. Owing to his removal two years later to Timaru he resigned from the cadets, and joined the C Battery of the New Zealand Regiment of Artillery, with which he remained from May, 1881, till May, 1885, when he joined the Geraldine Rifles, with which he remained till 1887. On his return to Christchurch in 1887 he joined the Christchurch Rifles—then the C Company of the First Canterbury Rifle Volunteers— as a corporal. In 1893, when the Christchurch Rifles amalgamated with the City Guards, he joined as sergeant and remained until he was transferred to the staff of the North Canterbury Infantry Cavalry under Colonel Francis, as regimental sergeant-major. In 1899 Captain Foster joined the Linwood Rifles, as junior lieutenant, and in 1900 took command of the Christchurch City Rifles. Captain Foster was born in Christchurch in 1867, and on leaving school went through various colonial experiences. For five years he has occupied the position of principal and confidential clerk in the office of Messrs Maude and Harman, barristers and solicitors. As a Freemason he is a member of Lodge 1048, E.C., Canterbury.

Lieutenant Henry Fazakerley Gibson, of the Christchurch City rifles, joined the Dunedin Cycle Corps in 1897, and remained in it twelve months. He came in 1898 to Christchurch, where he immediately joined the Christchurch Cycle Corps, of which he was elected lieutenant. In 1901 he retired from the Cycle Corps, and was elected, in the same year, senior lieutenant of the City Rifle Volunteers. Mr. Gibson, who is the Christchurch representative of the Dunedin firm of Messrs Massey, Harris Co. Ltd., was born in Dunedin in 1874, and educated there at the Boys' High School. In 1889 he joined the staff of Messrs Massey, Harris Co., Ltd., was promoted to the position of manager of the firm's Christchurch branch in 1898, and is now inspector to the company in New Zealand. Mr Gibson is a well-known cyclist, and a member of the principal cycling clubs of New Zealand. He was a member of the Dunedin Rifle Club.

Standish and Preece, photo.Lieut. H. F. Gibson.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Lieut. H. F. Gibson.

Captain E. E. Papprill, of the Kaiapoi Rifles, is a barrister and solicitor at Kaiapoi, and is referred to as such in another article.

Captain Charles Francis D'Auvergne, of the Rangiora Rifles, has long been prominent in military matters in the Rangiora district, where he was born in 1861. His volunteer experience commenced in 1886, when he became one of the first members of the Rangiora Rifles. From 1892 to 1900 he held the rank of lieutenant, and in the latter year became captain. He has been for five years Captain of the Morris Tube Club, and is now president. Captain D'Auvergne has also been active as a footballer and cricketer. In football he represented Canterbury in the interprovincial team for three years. He is also a member of the Northern Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and was for about three years chairman of the Ground Committee. He farms about 250 acres of land, the name of his farm being “Bon Air.”

Standish and Preece, photo.Captain C. F. D'Auvergne.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Captain C. F. D'Auvergne.

Captain William Thomas Charlewood, B.A., formerly of the Imperial Rifles, was born in Kent, England, in 1856, and is third son of the late Admiral E. P. Charlewood. page 139 He was educated at St. Mark's, Windsor, and at Oxford, and came to Port Chalmers per ship “Norval” in 1876. After three years' residence in the Wellington district, Mr. Charlewood returned to England, and two years later took up his permanent residence in the Colony, and conducted a private school in Wellington. In 1884 he joined the teaching staff of Christ's College, with which he was connected for seven years, and during that period graduated B.A. at Canterbury College. In 1891 Mr. Charlewood joined the firm of
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.Captain W. T. Charlewood.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Captain W. T. Charlewood.

Fletcher, Humphreys and Co., merchants, Cathedral Square, as a partner. Mr. Charlewood joined the Imperial Rifles in 1897, and became captain of the corps. As a member of the Masonic Order, he was attached to Lodge St. Albans, E.C. He was for a time a member of the St. Albans Borough Council, and was also a member of the Canterbury Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Charlewood was married in 1879, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Lamont, of Argyleshire, Scotland, and has two daughters. He left New Zealand to make his home in England, in 1902.

First-Lieutenant Charles Herbert Mathias, of the Imperial Rifles, joined the College Rifles in 1887, and remained with that corps until 1900. He held the position of sergeant, and was transferred to the Imperial Rifles with the rank of lieutenant, on the 5th of December, 1900. Mr. Mathias is a son of the late Mr. Herbert I. Mathias, of Racecourse Hill, a prominent colonist, who occupied many public positions in Canterbury. Lieutenant Mathias was educated at Christ's College, and studied for a year at the Canterbury Agricultural College, Lincoln. He joined the clerical staff of the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association in 1887, and now occupies the position of cashier. Mr. Mathias is a member of several social and athletic clubs, and is a most enthusiastic volunteer. He has passed, and obtained the certificate, of the Military School of Instruction for officers.

Standish and Preece, Photo.Lieut. C. H. Mathias.

Standish and Preece, Photo.
Lieut. C. H. Mathias.

Second-Lieutenant Hidebrand Holderness, of the Imperial Rifles, joined the corps in May, 1900, with the rank of second lieutenant. Mr. Holderness, who is a son of Mr. R. F. Holderness, formerly Stock Inspector, was born in Christchurch in 1880, educated at Christ's College and Canterbury College, and studied law in the office of Mr. Wynn Williams, barrister and solicitor, Christchurch.

Captain George John Smith, of the Sydenham Rifles, received his commission on the 7th of December, 18888. He is elsewhere referred to as a member of the House of Representatives for Christchurch.

First-Lieutenant William Millar, of the Sydenham Rifles, joined the Irish Rifles in 1885, and remained with that corps until its amalgamation with the Sydenham Rifles, then known as the A Company. After serving through the various grades, he was appointed lieutenant in 1898, to the new Sydenham Rifles. Mr. Millar, who is a salesman in the Working Men's Co-operative Association, came to New Zealand in 1876, and since his arrival in Christchurch has been intimately connected with the progress of Sydenham, where he has held public positions in connection with the affairs of the borough.

Surgery-Captain Richard Walker Anderson was appointed to the Sydenham Rifles on the 30th of July, 1900. He is further referred to as a member of the mercial profession.

Captain Arthur Fostyn Drayton, of the Linwood Rifles, first became connected with volunteering when he joined the old Christchurch Rifles under Captain Richards as a private in 1887. He remained with that corps for three years. A lieutenancy was then offered to him, and accepted, and he held the position for twelve months. He resigned to take a similar position in the Canterbury Irish Rifles, and occupied it till the corps was amalgamated with the Sydenham Rifles. The new corps was afterwards named the City Rifles, and was commanded by Captain Drayton for two years. In 1894 be resigned, and ceased to be connected with volunteering. On the formation of the Linwood Rifles in 1899, Captain Drayton was requested to accept the command, on the retirement of Captain Horsley, and complied with the request. Mr. Drayton was born at Riccarton in 1868 and educated in Christchurch. He began his experience of commercial life with the firm of Messrs Plaisted and Co. In 1894 he entered the service of Messrs Ashby, Bergh and Co., and has since contributed to represent it. As a Freemason Mr Drayton is a member of St. Augustine Lodge, No. 3.

Standish and Preece, photo.Captain A. F. Drayton.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Captain A. F. Drayton.

First-Lieutenant Thomas Oliver Johnson, of the Linwood Rifles, joined the volunteers as a private in the Christchurch Rifles, and held the position of sergrant, when he resigned after serving for five years. On the formation of the Linwood Rifles he joined that corps, and was elected lieutenant. Mr. Johnson was born in Northumberland, England, and came to New Zealand in 1880. He now holds the position of chief clerk in the Kaiapoi Woollen Company's Clothing Factory.

Lieutenant R. S. Ward, of the Linwood Rifles, joined the Canterbury Engineers in 1887 as a sapper. Some years afterwards he joined the E Battery of Artillery as a page 140 gunner, and after a few years of service in that corps he retired from the volunteers. On the formation of the Linwood Rifles in 1898 he was appointed colour-sergant, and was elected lieutenant to fill the vacancy made through the promotion of Lieutenant Foster to the captaincy of the City Rifles. Lieutenant Ward qualified for his commission and was gazetted in 1901. Since then a school of instruction has been established in connection with the volunteers, and Lieutenant Ward has gone through the whole course. Mr. Ward was born in Victoria in 1868 and came to New Zealand in 1875. He has for some years been representative of the well-known firm of Messrs W. H. Simms and Co., of Christchurch. Mr Ward has long taken, a keen interest in social and athletic affairs.

The Rev. William Augustus Pascoe received his appointment as honorary chaplain to the Linwood Rifles on the 18th of November, 1898. He is further referred to in the ecclesiastical section of this volume.

Captain Francis Marion Bates Fisher, Commanding the Civil Service Rifles, is perhaps the youngest officer in the Battalion. Born in 1877 at Wellington, he is the fourth son of Mr. George Fisher, M.H.R., and was educated primarily at the Wellington public schools. He left school work at thirteen years of age, and was four years in the country, where he was engaged in farm work and surveying, and was afterwards three years in town at a trade. In 1896 he went to Wellington College for a year, and served in the cadets, four of the member of which attained captaincies in five years; R. J. Seddon, J. Haselden, J. Montgomery, and F. M. B. Fisher. The three firstnamed are (1902) with the Eighth Contingent in South Africa. In 1897 Mr Fisher joined the Lands Department, and shortly afterwards took a leading part in the formation of the Wellington Civil Service Rifles, in which he served as a corporal. On being transferred to Christchurch in 1898, he soon took a prominent part in volunteering and athletic circles. On the formation of the Christchurch Civil Service Rifles, Mr. Fisher was elected senior lieutenant, and upon the resignation of Captain Millar he received his captain's commission, dated the 5th of December, 1900, and in May of the following year was appointed a captain in the New Zealand Federal Contingent. He has also represented Canterbury at football, tennis, and amateur athletics. A strong advocate of field firing under service conditions and a keen volunteer enthusiast, the present state of efficiency of his corps is a tribute to a hard-working and popular officer. Captain Fisher left Canterbury in April, 1902, in command of E Squ drop of the South Island Battalion of the Tenth Contingent, for service in south Africa.

Standish and Preece, photo.Captain F. M. B. Fisher.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Captain F. M. B. Fisher.

Senior-Lieut. William George Wray, of the Civil Service Rifles, joined that corps on its formation in 1900, as junior Leutenant, and was gazetted senior-lieutenant in 1901. Mr. Wray, who is a son of the late Mr. W. G. Wray, headmaster of the Timaru school, was born in 1875, and educated at Christchurch. He joined the Civil Service at the Government Railways Stores, Addingten, as a cadet, and has since been promoted to the position of senior clerk in the stores department. Mr. Wray has since boyhood taken a very active part in all athletic sports, and has for five years been a member of the Canterbury Railway Club. As a cross country runner he is well known. Since joining the volunteers he has devoted all his spare time to the improvement of his corps. Mr. Wray left New Zealand in February, 1902, as a lieutenant in the Ninth Contingent, despatched for service in South Africa.

Second Lieutenant William Henry Adams, of the Civil Service rifles, has been connected with the volunteers for some years, and joined the cadet corps in Dunedin and Wellington. On the formation of the Civil Service Rifle Corps at Christchurch he joined, first as a non commissioned officer, and was elected lieutenant in July, 1901. Mr. Adams holds a position in the Customs Department at Christchurch.

The Rev. A. W. Averill, who is elsewhere referred to as vicar of St. Michale's, was appointed honorary chaplain to the Civil Service Rifles on the 11th of August, 1900.

Captain Douglas Stewart, of the Canterbury Highland Rifles, joined the corps on its formation in 1900 as lieutenant, and was appointed captain in 1901. He is a son of Dr. MacBean Stewart, was born at Ashburton in 1877, and educated at the Christchurch Boys' High School. Mr. Stewart afterwards joined the clerical staff of Messrs Kempthorne, Prosser and Co., and still remains with that firm.

First-Lieutenant Martin Moir, of the Canterbury Highland Rifles, joined the First College Rifles about 1892, and remained five years with that company. On the formation of the Highland Rifles he joined as second-lieutenant, and was gazetted first-lieutenant in 1901. Mr. Moir is the youngest son of Mr. W. Moir, of Christchurch. He was educated at Christ's College, and afterwards entered his father's business.

Captain John P. Oakes, of the Canterbury Native Rifle Volunteers, is a son of the late Captain John P. Oakes, master mariner. He was born in Christchurch in 1864, and educated in Auckland, where he served his time as a draper, but afterwards became connected with the manufacturing department of Messrs McArthur and Co., and was seven years in a corresponding position with Messrs A. Clark and Sons. Captain Oakes has been connected with volunteering since 1883, when he joined the Auckland City Guards. In 1892 he was appointed lieutenant to the corps, and held that position until 1896, when he transferred to the Auckland Naval Artillery, with the same rank, and wears the uniform of that corps in the portrait which accompanies this article. In 1898 Mr. Oakes was one of the promoters of three infantry volunteer corps formed in connection with the Auckland New Zealand Native Association, of which he is a member, and he eventually accepted the position of Captain to the No. 2 Company, which became one of the smartest corps in the garrison. He remained with his corps until September, 1900, when he left Messrs A. Clark and Sons to accept a more responsible and lucrative position with the Kalapoi Woollen Manufacturing Company, Christchurch. When he left Auckland his large circle of friends took a flattering way of showing how highly they appreciated him as a man and a citizen. On his arrival in Christchurch he was transferred to the Canterbury District Reserve Corps, and shortly afterwards was presented by the local authorities, on behalf of the Defence Department, with the sixteen years' long and efficient volunteer service medal. Deciding to take a more active part in the service, he set about forming a New Zealand Native Corps in Christchurch, and in September,
Captain J. P. Oakes.

Captain J. P. Oakes.

page 141 1901, the Government accepted the services of a company offered by him, with the result that a very strong and efficient corps exists at the present time. Mr. Oakes has always taken a keen interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the colony, and may yet come to the front in local matters. In connection with his military service, he has gained distinction as a shot, and was a member of the winning team for the Campbell Vase in 1896. He has been several times elected to represent his corps at various meetings, and was also the holder of his Company's Champion Belt in 1897. Mr. Oakes is a member of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows, having attained to the posit on of Grand Master of his lodge. He married a daughter of the late Mr. James Kay, of Victoria, and has three sons. Captain Oakes is a strict disciplinarian, and has the reputation of being a smart and painstaking officer.

First-Lieutenant Frank Percival Smith, of the Canterbury Native Rifles, joined the Christ's College Rifles in the beginning of March, 1897, and was nearly four years with them. He was transferred to the Canterbury Native Rifles when that company was formed in September, 1900; was elected junior lieutenant, and received his commission on the 6th of March, 1901. Mr. Smith became senior lieutenant in September, 1901. In December, 1901, he passed the Officers' School of Instruction. He is the only son of Mr. F. J. Smith, of Messrs G. Coates and Co., jewellers, Christchurch.

Standish and Preece, photoLieut. F. P. Smith.

Standish and Preece, photo
Lieut. F. P. Smith.

Second Lieutenant Albert Bourdot, of the Canterbury Native Rifles, joined the Canterbury Scottish Rifles in 1885, and remained five years in that corps, from which he resigned to join the old Sydenham Rifles. This corps was afterwards amalgamated with the Irish Rifles, under the name of A Company. Later on the name was again changed to that of the City Rifles, in which Mr. Bourdot held the position of sergeant. Mr. Bourdot afterwards rejoined the reconstituted Sydenham Rifles, in which he served for two years, and was then transferred to the Canterbury Native Rifles, with the position of colour-sergeant. He also filled the position of sergeant-major to the 2nd Battalion North Canterbury Regiment during the Duke of Cornwall's visit to Canterbury. He was appointed lieutenant of the corps in 1901. Mr. Bourdot was born in Belfast, Ireland, and came with his parents to Canterbury in 1875 by the ship “Star of China.” He was educated in Christchurch, and was for eight years employed in the “Press” office, and for a similar period with Messrs Skelton, Frostick and Co. In 1899 he joined the service of Messrs A. J. White and Co. Mr. Bourdot is a member of the Masonic Crown Lodge No. 675, S.C., and a member of Loyal City of Christchurch Oddfellows' Lodge.

Standish and Preece, photo.Lieut. A. Bourdot.

Standish and Preece, photo.
Lieut. A. Bourdot.

Lieutenant William Charles Finnis, of the Christchurch Cycle Corps, joined the corps on its formation in 1897, when he was appointed lieutenant. He was born at Ballarat, Victoria, and came to New Zealand, in 1896, under an engagement with Messrs Wrigglesworth and Binns. Mr. Finnis was for eight years with the Third Battalion of Victorian Volunteers, and left his corps with the rank of sergeant. He won £16 for volley firing in 1900.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.Lieut. W. C. Finnis.

Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Lieut. W. C. Finnis.

Lieutenant-Colonel Frederick Wyatt Francis, V.D., sometime Commanding the North Canterbury Infantry Battalion, was born in Essex, England, in 1856. He arrived in Lyttelton in the following year with his parents by the barque “Cornubia,' and was educated at Mr. Gee's Grammar School in Christchurch. After serving for four years in the Postal Department, he joined the firm of Messrs Crowe and Co., wine and spirit merchants, as a partner, and for about eight years held his interest in that business. In 1887 he joined Messrs Manning and Co., as traveller, and was for many years closely identified with that firm. He began his connection with the volunteer force in 1874, when he joined the City Guards as a private. In 1878 he obtained promotion to the rank of sub-lieutenant, lieutenant in 1681, and adjutant with the rank of captain
Standish and Preece, photo.The Late Lieut.-Col. Francis.

Standish and Preece, photo.
The Late Lieut.-Col. Francis.

page 142 on the formation of the first Canterbury Battilion under Colonel Tosswill in 1885. After passing a competitive examination, he was appointed major in 1887. The battalion was dissolved in 1889, and he was transferred to the active division of the unattached list. On the North Canterbury Infantry Battalion being formed he was appointed to the command with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. Colonel Francis was long prominent in shooting competitions, and while a member of the Guards, won the challenge belt of the company seven times, and on two occasions was second at the District Prize Faring Competition. He was one of the first officers to receive the Long Service Medal, and on the 22nd of July, 1897, was granted the Imperial decoration, which was presented by MajorGeneral Fulton on the 13th of August of that year. As a Freemason, Colonel Francis had joined Lodge Robert Burns, S.C., and became master of his lodge in 1884. He was afterwards attached, to Lodge St. Augustine, and in connection with the Grand Lodge of New Zealand he filled various offices, latterly that of past senior grand warden. In 1880 he married a daughter of Mr. Charles Orlando Cox, of Christchurch, and had three daughters and one son. Colonel Francis took a noteworthy part in the war with the Boers in South Africa, to which he went as commander of the New Zealand Fourth Contingent, which sailed from Dunedin on the 24th of March, 1900. While he was in South Africa Colonel Francis was promoted, under the Field Force orders, to the rank of lieutenant-colonel, and appointed to the command of the 4th Regiment of the 2nd Brigade of the Rhodesian Field Force. Under his command, the Fourth Contingent did excellent work, and especially distinguished itself at the fight at Malmani Hill, in the Transvaal territory, on the 16th of August, 1900. The Boers were strongly posted on the hill, which Colonel Francis was ordered by Genera. Carrington, through the brigadier, Colonel Grey, to take and hold, but not to sacrifice his men too much. This order was executed with brilliant success, though at the outset the Boers had all the advantage of a strong position. Unfortunately Captain Harvey, who led one of the New Zealand squadrons, was shot dead by the enemy, so was Trooper McDougall, and Captain Fulton was badly wounded with a shot through the back, and there were other casualties. The New Zealanders, however, won a distinct victory, and a brigade order issued on the following day read as follows:—”Lemmer's Hill, 17–8–00. Order No. IV.—The officer-commanding the brigade desires to congratulate the brigade on the good work done yesterday. Every position required by the Lieutenant-General Commanding was quickly taken without nesitation, and held during the night. The advance to the attack was made with excellent precision and order. Lieutenant-Colonel Grey desires to thank specially the Fourth New Zealand Regiment, who bore the brunt of the attack, and he deeply deplores the loss of Captain Harvey. He has great pleasure in informing the brigade that the General Officer Commanding has expressed his entire satisfaction with its work. By order—F. Curzon, Brigade Major.” The New Zealanders occupied the hill for two days and nights without blankets and with very little food, and with nothing but cold water to drink. Prior to the action Colonel Francis had been feeling unwell, and the exposure on the hill hastened the fever and gastritis which had entered his system. In the end he was ordered by the chief medical officer into hospital, where he suffered severely from enteric fever, and was afterwards invalided back to New Zealand. A trip to England was suggested as a probable help to a complete recovery, and Colonel Francis went Home in the “Britannic” with 640 other invalids. On reaching England he was invited by the Countess of Dudley to become her guest at the Hotel Cecil, and received an invitation from the Prince of Wales to spend a fortnight at Sandringham. On the 14th of December, 1900, he left London by the steamship “China,” on his way back to New Zealand. Shortly after passing through the Red Sea he had a fresh attack of enteric fever, and continued unwell until he reached Melbourne, where he began to improve, and when he arrived in New Zealand on the 28th of January, 1901, he was in a fair state of health. However, the members of the Medical Board, by which he was examined, ordered him to take a complete rest. Three weeks later, he felt so fit and well that he went to the New Zealand Rifle Association meeting at Wanganui to act as one of the judges, and over exertion on his part brought on another attack of fever. He was removed as soon as possible to his home at Christchurch, where he was assiduously attended by three medical men, but without avail, for he died at his residence, “Roslyn,” Wilson's Road, on the 31st of March, 1901, aged forty-four years.